Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

prefect posted:

I've never actually seen it. Is it a serious talent show or is it more like the Gong Show? (The Gong Show was great.)

Serious.

There will never be another "The Gong Show" (sadly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone know how AGT did in the ratings? Hopefully it bombs and is a one year project.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

mcmagic posted:

Anyone know how AGT did in the ratings? Hopefully it bombs and is a one year project.

I don't see ratings up yet. I assume the first night will be huge. I think it'll be more interesting to see how it holds up through the season if some of the casual viewers decide to stay or not.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

mcmagic posted:

Sadly no. These types of shows are incredibly cheap to produce since you are not paying the people performing. This is also why it's on 4-5 hours a week.

I assume there will be a sharp drop off because most people probably tuned in to see if Howard would do anything shocking.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mcmagic posted:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2007/09/01/all-our-charts/896/

quote:

Overnight Broadcast Results:

This is typically published daily around 9:30am pacific time and is based on preliminary fast national overnight reporting from Nielsen. This is only for the national broadcast networks, and does not include any data for cable shows.

So I guess we've got about a half-hour more to wait before anything is made public. Did anybody listen to Howard this morning? I'm sure he gets overnight ratings before they're made publicly available.

Edit: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...s-debut/134117/

quote:

CBS was the top rated network in adults 18-49 while ABC was number one in total viewers.

On CBS, the hour long How I Met Your Mother season finale earned a 3.6 adults 18-49 rating up from a 3.3 for its most recent original episode on May 1. For comparison, last week the hour long finale of 2 Broke Girls got a 3.3 adults 18-49 rating. Two and a Half Men's season finale garnered a 3.8 adults 18-49 rating even with last week. The Mike and Molly season finale scored a 3.3 among adults 18-49, up from a 3.1 last week. The Hawaii Five-O finale earned a 2.7 among adults 18-49 up substantially from last week's 2.3.

On NBC, the season premiere of America's Got Talent earned a 3.6 adults 18-49 rating, compared to a 3.8 in the time period for the finale of The Voice last week and a 4.3 for last year's season premiere on June 2, 2011. The season finale of Smash scored a 1.8 among adults 18-49, matching its performance for the prior two weeks.

On ABC, a 90 minute Dancing with the Stars scored a 2.4adults 18-49 ratin from 8 to 9 and a 2.9 from 9 to 9:30, compared to a 2.7 for last week's two hour episode. The 90 minute season premiere of The Bachelorette earned a 2.6 among adults 18-49 from 9:30 to 10 and a 2.5 from 10-11 , compared to a 2.8 for last year's season premiere.

On FOX, the season finale of Bones garnered a 1.9 adults 18-49 rating, even with last week. House got a 2.2 among adults 18-49 up from last week's 2.1.

On the CW, the season finale of Gossip Girl earned a 0.6 adults 18-49 rating up from last week's 0.4. The season finale of Hart Of Dixie scored a 0.6 adults 18-49 rating even with last week.

prefect fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 15, 2012

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Wait... did he Eric the Actor it and actually cause the ratings to dip?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AxeManiac posted:

Wait... did he Eric the Actor it and actually cause the ratings to dip?

Anything can be spun.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/15/americas-got-talent-rating-howard-stern/

quote:

Before everybody points fingers at Stern, however, here’s a big mitigating factor: Last year Got Talent premiered at the very end of May and was paired with The Voice. This year, Got Talent faced a full boat of competition from rival networks, so the talent competition might have returned lower in the ratings due to the scheduling change. NBC points out last night’s rating matches Got Talent‘s performance two years ago. At 10 p.m., NBC’s Smash (6.1 million, 1.8) finale was steady.

Edit: Also, these are overnights -- DVR ratings will be added in over the next week.

prefect fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 15, 2012

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bonzo posted:

Sadly no. These types of shows are incredibly cheap to produce since you are not paying the people performing. This is also why it's on 4-5 hours a week.

I assume there will be a sharp drop off because most people probably tuned in to see if Howard would do anything shocking.

This is all true but if they are paying Howie 20 million they aren't gonna continue that if the show isn't getting great ratings. (which apparently it isn't)

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 15, 2012

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

mcmagic posted:

This is all true but if they are paying Howie 20 million they aren't gonna continue that if the show isn't getting great ratings.

Paying Stern 20 million is still cheaper then paying an ensemble cast for a sitcom or drama.

Also you are not paying for the "talent", no special effects, stunt doubles, stand ins, etc. That is why reality TV shows are so popular right now. They cost next to nothing to make but get enough viewers to attract advertisers.

American Idol has been getting horrible ratings for the last few seasons but it's still profitable at this point. If it was an hour long drama it would have been off the air years ago.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mcmagic posted:

This is all true but if they are paying Howie 20 million they aren't gonna continue that if the show isn't getting great ratings.

Howard only signed a one-year contract, right? He will have a semi-graceful exit available. The ratings aren't disastrously bad; he'll be around for the full season and if they don't want him back, he'll have room enough to say "I did it, and it was fun, but I'm tired of it now".

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I suspect that people are just going to look at the hard numbers from last night and make a call that isn't a good one:

http://gawker.com/5910493/howard-stern-is-losing-his-edge-right-before-our-eyes

He probably had some sort of idea what the ratings where going to look like when he commented this morning. He very plainly said he hadn't seen them yet, but they might be low and that was okay because it was going to take awhile to gain steam.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kelly posted:

I suspect that people are just going to look at the hard numbers from last night and make a call that isn't a good one:

http://gawker.com/5910493/howard-stern-is-losing-his-edge-right-before-our-eyes

He probably had some sort of idea what the ratings where going to look like when he commented this morning. He very plainly said he hadn't seen them yet, but they might be low and that was okay because it was going to take awhile to gain steam.

I don't know why, but I find these amusing. (New York Times and Washington Post)

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

prefect posted:

I don't know why, but I find these amusing. (New York Times and Washington Post)

Ha...and there you go. Same information two completely different articles.

I think in the end this will be a gamble that pays off - since as others have pointed out these shows are so cheap to put together.

There must have been a fair number of people so turned off by Howard they didn't watch because I know several in my circle alone who watched their very first episode ever of AGT, myself included.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

dp

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kelly posted:

Ha...and there you go. Same information two completely different articles.

I think in the end this will be a gamble that pays off - since as others have pointed out these shows are so cheap to put together.

There must have been a fair number of people so turned off by Howard they didn't watch because I know several in my circle alone who watched their very first episode ever of AGT, myself included.

Yea but are you going to watch the next episode? I couldn't get through 30 mins of a 2 hour show... If this is the high point in the ratings it could get ugly.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Yea but are you going to watch the next episode? I couldn't get through 30 mins of a 2 hour show... If this is the high point in the ratings it could get ugly.

I will definitely watch the NYC episode since I was there...but I don't know about the other ones. It was really tough to get through last night's episode to be honest. I hate these shows as a rule and so Howard is the only reason I am watching.

I will end up watching a little here and a little there...don't think I can sit through another two hours of this.

Honestly I just started playing Red Dead Redemption and I was a little annoyed I had to stop to watch this. That there is my level of commitment to AGT.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Regular caller Gonzo on the Nick & Artie show joined Twitter:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Sand Monster posted:

Regular caller Gonzo on the Nick & Artie show joined Twitter:

If I hadn't heard him as a caller I would assume he was about 7 years old. That is a little creepy.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Gonzo loving owns. N&A has been crazy lately with the twins' assignments and Artie just being insanely dark and mean to everyone. Good stuff.

Also I'm not ashamed to say I'm looking forward to AGT again tonight :colbert: Howard said last night's was the weakest show of talent on the tour anyway.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I'm surprised Hanzi isn't registered on SA. Of all the callers, I think he'd be the most likely.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Holy Calamity! posted:

Howard said last night's was the weakest show of talent on the tour anyway.
Oh of course it was.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

chiz posted:

Oh of course it was.

He talked about it right after he came back from the first taping. He admitted today that they were letting through clunkers because it was such a weak show of talent overall, and said a couple weeks ago that he was initially worried because he buzzed such a huge majority of the acts.

I'm annoyed they didn't show more of the "bad" acts (a couple that made it through were horrible), but stuff like the elevator bit and the arguments between Howie and Howard over who's poo poo or not make the show great imo.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 15, 2012

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Kelly posted:

Honestly I just started playing Red Dead Redemption and I was a little annoyed I had to stop to watch this. That there is my level of commitment to AGT.

Hey cool me too. Except stopping to watch AGT. I love Howard and everything but these kind of shows kill my brain cells.

Alkaphanel
Dec 29, 2008

Kelly posted:

This, except Minecraft.

Howard did really well, and I think the "chat" segment with him and the judges, and his neurotic episode in the elevator were killer.

But someone earlier in the thread summed AGT up as "Star Search 2.0" and thats exactly it. The variety show format isnt going to hold my attention throughout the season.

Also, I'm good for 1 or 2 Vegas trips a year, and I'd never pay $80 to see Terry Fator. Thats the only product of AGT I can name, and only because he's plastered all over billboards between the Excalibur and the Luxor.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Kimmel was great on Monday's show.
I love that he's such a huge fan of Eric and I need a video of Eric making donuts.

AGT is terrible live but I seems alright on DVR with a fast forward button.

Jarthus
Feb 25, 2008
I wish they let Richard into the studio more. That segment last week with the girl singing on public access and Fred playing the Tarzan noise was the funniest thing I've heard on the show in a long time. Howard was laughing so hard he was pounding on the console.

Brings me back to those glorious days of Artie and his half hour long laughing fits.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
It was nice to hear somebody laughing again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's kinda sad that Howard is relegated to kissing up to hacks like Howie Mandel and Nick Cannon...

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Yeesh, alright, tonight's was pretty horrible. The opera guy sang the actual "Ronnie's a zero on the ugly meter" song and Howard didn't seen to react :( I'm still looking forward to when it gets weened down to 20-30 good acts and we get to see Howard unedited on the live shows because they cut the poo poo out of it currently and it's really annoying.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

mcmagic posted:

It's kinda sad that Howard is relegated to kissing up to hacks like Howie Mandel and Nick Cannon...

And he was making fun of Ronnie letting Richard suck him off for a million dollars.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

AxeManiac posted:

And he was making fun of Ronnie letting Richard suck him off for a million dollars.

That was a very disturbing segment. Richard has gone too far at this point. I mean, the gay antics with Sal are creepy enough, but now he's willing to put a mans penis in his mouth and suck it till he comes for comedy.

This is way, way over the line.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Last word is that Ashley Madison is getting involved and it might actually happen. Obviously it's free publicity if it doesn't (since it almost certainly won't) but they've actually got the funds to make it a genuine possibility.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Missed last night and saw tonight's show, it sucked. Sat through the show to see Howard's reaction and it just wasn't worth it.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Nick was just on Jimmy Fallon and I laughed my rear end off.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Did anyone hear them talk about Robin's bad news that she got?

She didn't want to talk about it on air, but she said it was devastating and that the doctor she talked to yesterday "lowered the boom" and she was inconsolable.

She also said it wasn't a "death" thing but the options for this growth were not good ones. I think she is lying about it not being a "death thing" as she called it.

I think she got really bad news -- guessing it was cancer. :(

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

Gay for pay has been a running joke since Scott the engineer was gonna let Lexington Steele stick it in his pooper on stage.

loving horrible about Robin. Hope she's OK.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Kelly posted:

She also said it wasn't a "death" thing but the options for this growth were not good ones.

I was trying to figure out what this could mean if it weren't cancer, and I'm really not sure. In a younger woman who wanted to have kids, it may have meant removal of the reproductive organs or something, but that doesn't apply to Robin.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

AxeManiac posted:

Hope she is okay, I wonder if Howard would go on without her?
He could (well, he has to if he's under contract), but there can't be two empty chairs in that studio...they'd have to replace her with somebody.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Sasquatch! posted:

...they'd have to replace her with somebody.
My vote's for Beth O.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Judging by this article (http://www.examiner.com/article/robin-quivers-health-scare) I don't think it's malignant but I imagine removing it will cause major issues to her plumbing.