Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Whack a hole into the filter with a screwdriver, drink a beer, come back to drained filter.

Boom, no mess!

Ding ding ding!

On topic, I vacuumed out my car today. loving trees are snowing all over the place.

MiniFoo fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Whack a hole into the filter with a screwdriver, drink a beer, come back to drained filter.

Boom, no mess!

Discover the rotten bastard isn't coming off under any circumstances, half-crush it in the process; shrug, weld a plug on the hole and drive on.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Boom, no mess!

Whack it all the way through for easier filter removal.

To be fair, I have a ranger and while it's really simple to get to the filter, it's impossible to get it off without making a mess unless you punch a hole with a punch.

Oil will run down the whole left side of the engine/oilpan and even onto the transmission.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I almost got to pick it up today! except....

... my mechanic tried to swap the backup light switch from my old trans to the new one (new one came with a bad one). Mine fell apart. :gonk: He ordered a new one from Nissan, should be in tomorrow morning.

As I suspected, whoever did the last clutch job was a loving moron. Rear main seal was original and leaking a lot worse than I thought. Clutch disc had some oil on it and a lot more wear than it should have for 30k miles (he said it's about half worn - when I bought it they said the clutch was brand new) - though I did have to launch around 2000 to get a smooth launch starting about 2 months after getting the car, due to it chattering so bad (I otherwise rev match). Throwout bearing had started to seize and gouged the poo poo out of the pressure plate. Flywheel had a lot of hot spots, so not only had it not been touched during the last clutch job, it's probably been beat on a bit.

He's knocking $200 off for cash, at least. :gbsmith: He said he's only a couple of hours away from finishing it, except he has to wait on the backup light switch. :sigh: Then we get to find out how good my new to me used trans is... :ohdear:

edit: yeah that's a little worn. Amazed it only loses half a quart between oil changes.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 14, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We can't all drive trucks. Besides it takes like 60 seconds to take a wheels off, I see no problem with this.

This is incredibly resourceful. You may have just put off my bench vice purchase even longer.

Only issue might be that it started to lift up the entire cupboard assembly. Thank god I don't own the place :v:

Also, these showed up on my doorstep today:

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 15, 2012

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

... unless you punch a hole with a punch.

Aww, I wanted to punch it with my mind!

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel
Broke the cheap plastic bit on key for my truck. Ticked me off, so I made a key that will outlast the vehicle.

Before:

After:

:siren: Shameless Advertising :siren:

Started a thread about key chains -
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3484866

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
In preparation for a new cold air intake for the Evo, I decided to test an old pod filter I had lying around to check how it'll affect sound. I don't want it sounding too ridiculous. This way I can make sure I'm happy with how it sounds without wasting a few hundred dollars first.

The standard airbox setup on the Evos are really good, but can apparently be limiting from 250kw (at the wheels, or 340BHP). With the E85 conversion I'm planning in the next couple of months I'll be making close to 300kw ATW (400+ BHP).

So the old:

And the old sound, recorded with a GoPro2 that you can see mounted at the bottom of the above photo:

Airbox out:

Pipe heading to turbo (will be replaced if I get the kit):

Discovered the original airbox was cracked and repaired by the previous owner:

It was at this point I discovered that the MAS adaptor I had didn't fit, so I had to reassemble everything and drive to the store and buy a new one (middle):

And the new, super-performance DRIFT filter installed:

And I'm leaving the intake duct there to give it some cold air:

And a recording afterwards:

So I'll leave this on for a day and see what I think. The weather has cooled here in Australia (Queensland) so I'm not too worried about intake temps, and I'm not driving too far/hard. The intake kit I'm looking at comes with pipe, adaptor, filter and a decent heat shield, and if I go for it I'll also run some cold-air piping as well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Detroit117 posted:

Now that's a proper truck key.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress!!

New transmission is in. Whines with the clutch out, whines like a banshee while accelerating. Godfuckingdamnit. :suicide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9D76SSgtyw

Shifts butter smooth, but... gently caress.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 15, 2012

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Crustashio posted:

Only issue might be that it started to lift up the entire cupboard assembly. Thank god I don't own the place :v:

Also, these showed up on my doorstep today:

These tires kick SOO much rear end, it's awesome. Great purchase!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sponge! posted:

Aww, I wanted to punch it with my mind!

I tried using a pen once. It didn't end well.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

GramCracker posted:

These tires kick SOO much rear end, it's awesome. Great purchase!

What do you run them on? If they're good I might get another set for my e46 since they are surprisingly affordable in staggered 18" sizes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

steering universal change, this was tons of fun.

Suspension wear blocks, looks like it was about time they get done.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

steering universal change, this was tons of fun.

Suspension wear blocks, looks like it was about time they get done.

How badly did the PO beat on it?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

How badly did the PO beat on it?

Not nearly as bad as i have. :clint:

I've put probably 30,000 kms on off-highway in the last year. I don't think it has ever seen anything like what i've put it through. Judging by the style and wear of the tires that were on the truck when i got it, the previous owner was the type of driver who would stop for the night when there is a foot of snow on the road. I don't even stop for a foot of mud...well i do, but only until the cat shows up.

edit: i should note, this is the mack, not the Ferd.

The ford, all i've done lately is condition the gently caress out of the leather.

I loving love this leather, i took a look at a 2010 king ranch earlier today and was sickened.

You have to click to see the full pic to see the damage. It's not even leather, and that truck had 24,000kms, mine has 130,000kms. in another 100k, mine will look as nice or nicer than they do now(i'm probably the first to ever condition them), those will be worn to the foam.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 16, 2012

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Crustashio posted:

What do you run them on? If they're good I might get another set for my e46 since they are surprisingly affordable in staggered 18" sizes.

I love Hankook V12s as a track/street compromise tire; settled on them after trying both RE050As and PS2s. Currently on my third set

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Did the best thing I could do for it and turned my back on it for a while before I cause some real damage.

Two stores which have an online presence haven't gotten back to me in nearly a week about brake hoses that I need.

In the bright side, after a couple of weeks, both ebay sellers which I got parts off have finally responded and updated their total so I paid. One actually got as far as placing a non paying bidder dispute, in spite of my repeated messages to update the total so I could pay and receiving no reply for my efforts.

People :(

Oh I did do something else. Priced various board at Bunnings (huge lovely hardware store chain) for flooring for the camper floor. They sell non structural 12mm ply in 1200x1198 squares for $20 each. That's a hell of a lot less than normal ply. It doesn't need any structural integrity anyway because its entire purpose is to sit on the corrugated metal cargo floor.
They also had 3mm 1.2 x 2.4? m ply, which would probably look nicer and more in place than something like crappy melamine panelling for covering the exposed metal up back on the sides.

Now, if the major sticking point of brake hoses can be overcome, this stroppy old bitch will be nearly ready for inspection. Once I get and install the board too that is.

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

gently caress!!

New transmission is in. Whines with the clutch out, whines like a banshee while accelerating. Godfuckingdamnit. :suicide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9D76SSgtyw

Shifts butter smooth, but... gently caress.

Are you positive that you have the right gear oil in it? Friend of mine has a newer Altima and went through hell finding the right oil for it as most of what was on the shelf was harmful to the bearings/bushings and stuff and it made some pretty interesting noises while driving till he ordered the right stuff and changed it out. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Admirable Gusto posted:

I love Hankook V12s as a track/street compromise tire; settled on them after trying both RE050As and PS2s. Currently on my third set

Hah, I actually have re0a50 runflats on my e46 from the previous owner, but I hate the stiffness and the front tire is bubbling after 2 years. I'll be doing HPDS on the V12s this weekend so I should get an idea of how they feel for track/autocross.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SimulatedWoodgrain posted:

Are you positive that you have the right gear oil in it? Friend of mine has a newer Altima and went through hell finding the right oil for it as most of what was on the shelf was harmful to the bearings/bushings and stuff and it made some pretty interesting noises while driving till he ordered the right stuff and changed it out. Maybe that has something to do with it?

GL-4 is drat near impossible to find, even the dealer doesn't stock GL-4 anymore - they sell you GL-5 when you try to get gear oil at the parts counter.

It definitely has 80W90 in it. And the damage from using GL-5 in something not designed for it is something that happens long term.

It also whines a bit in neutral though, so there's definitely something odd going on. Still, I trust it more than the old transmission - when the old one was drained, it was more metal shavings than oil.

It's hardly newer - the transmission is from a 97.

Good ideas though. I'm still going to drive it a bit and see if it quiets down a bit, it sat for 4 years with only a little oil in it. The gears/diff are visibly rusty when you look at them through the fill plug, so I figure the gear noise is from that - I figure drive it for a few hundred miles, track down some GL-4 and change the gear oil. Drive it a bit more then send a sample to Blackstone.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 16, 2012

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
:confused: I bought GL-4 from Autozone barely more than a year ago. :confused:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:doh: I forgot about Coastal. AutoZone is the only place I've been able to find GL-4 in awhile though.

In any event though, the seller told me he's willing to stand behind it. Problem is these transmissions are getting a bit hard to find, and I'm still stuck paying labor to yank it again. It's tempting to see how much it'll cost to have it rebuilt.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

GL-4 is drat near impossible to find, even the dealer doesn't stock GL-4 anymore - they sell you GL-5 when you try to get gear oil at the parts counter.

It definitely has 80W90 in it. And the damage from using GL-5 in something not designed for it is something that happens long term.

It also whines a bit in neutral though, so there's definitely something odd going on. Still, I trust it more than the old transmission - when the old one was drained, it was more metal shavings than oil.

It's hardly newer - the transmission is from a 97.

Good ideas though. I'm still going to drive it a bit and see if it quiets down a bit, it sat for 4 years with only a little oil in it. The gears/diff are visibly rusty when you look at them through the fill plug, so I figure the gear noise is from that - I figure drive it for a few hundred miles, track down some GL-4 and change the gear oil. Drive it a bit more then send a sample to Blackstone.

I went to a commercial oil distributor. Worth a try. They seem to be a lot cheaper too than getting it retail.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cracked open my old transmission on a bench. Aside from being full of a ton of metal shavings, it didn't look terrible - but we couldn't get it disassembled enough to get to one of the carrier bearings. The diff gear was very difficult to spin even with the trans in neutral though, and before opening the case, I stuck a finger into the diff opening and it had a ton of play in it.

Besides that, vacuumed the a/c and refilled it. Turns out it was overcharged (needs 1.43 lbs, had 1.61) and also full of moisture. Blows a bit cooler and it no longer feels like I'm driving a 3 cylinder Metro when the a/c is on. Pressures were right where they should be, I think (he said it was at 35 low / 175 high, at idle - about 80F in the garage).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Added cruise control.

Vauxhall Astra H, Z13 DTH engine (1248cc diesel).

I now love cruise control. (Pulled out the stalk, put this in, used my ebay OPCOM to tell the ECU and the steering column control unit I had cruise, and done).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 17, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Re-badged it.

Previous owner lost the badges when they had it painted. I have two different Ford badges but only one works with the EXP so I need to source another before I mount them permanently.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

HalloKitty posted:

Vauxhall Astra H, Z13 DTH engine (1248cc diesel).

Cute, they felt it necessary to rebrand the Fiat engine they're using :v:

(It's a great engine)

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Ok, so if you've followed the tools thread at all you would know that I went out and spent all this money on tools to install a bracket on my Mustang. Well after another trip to the store for some car ramps I finally got enough clearance to fit myself under the car.

$300 bucks later and all I got was this stupid set of tools:

Just to install a $60 braket on my shift box:

-----
I didn't take pictures of the install itself because I was under the car, but it was my first attempt at any car modification or maintenance at all and I think it went pretty well. I drove the front wheels up onto the ramps and then jacked the back up onto jack stands so the whole car was level. Then I slid under the car and replaced that lovely stock bracket. Car now shifts like it was supposed to.

Anyway, here is a youtube link to the install video I used. It pretty much covers how I did things from start to finish and shows the difference between the stock bracket and the aftermarket bracket. I'm still rather excited that I actually did something mechanical on my car! Barton Shift Bracket Install video

Rabble fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 19, 2012

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Sold my BLQs. Good riddance.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

J-Bodies from 1985 like to rust, so I did a crappy job at rust killing - I was testing an area whilst I get the right grinding discs.

Before:

After:

The stuff glowing blue is this: http://www.hammerite.co.uk/guide/kurust.jsp

It's very, very messy and should never be applied over paint. But once I get everything together I'm doing a proper job of it.

The previous owner also did a messy undercoating job as evidenced by the fresh beige paint uncovered by the wire brush.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Removed my passengers seat so I could stuff 3 tires in the cabin and one in the trunk:

Direzza Star Specs, the amount of grip they have cold is phenomenal.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009
Put new front struts (KYB gr2) on my new summer-driver '84 300zx. The struts in it looked like OEM Tokico, possibly even the originals, and came out in pieces and a big blurp of pitch-black oil. I was going to hold out until I had new springs to put in too but both sets I'd want (Eibach or ST) are back-ordered all over North America until August or something.

The addition of actual damping to the front end has made it very clear just how pooched the rear shocks are :dance: Guess what I am doing on my next day off!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Canoodling my Bimmer 1 by Execudork, on Flickr
Roof racks are unnecessary if you can find pool noodles, especially the jumbo variety. They're harder to find than I expected, Walmart, Canadian Tire, Rona, didn't sell them, but Toys R Us had them so I got one of each colour (pink, green, blue, yellow) in each size (regular and jumbo) for less than $20. We only needed two jumbos and one regular, so now I have spare noodles.

The canoe belongs to my girlfriend, we took it to Alberta and had a great May Long weekend in the badlands. Round trip was more than 1000 km on highways going 110 km/h+, and we had exactly zero problems. I didn't even notice a hit to fuel effeciency, though presumably my super-oversize hood ornament caused some drag.

Mike_P
Aug 4, 2006

"I dunnoooow"

Here's hoping for another 100.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

KozmoNaut posted:

Cute, they felt it necessary to rebrand the Fiat engine they're using :v:

(It's a great engine)

Yeah, the engine code is Z = Euro IV emissions, 13 = 1.3 litre (well, almost), D = Diesel, T = Turbo.. and H.. That's for High Output, heh.. well, it is for the size of engine!

Does seem to be in good condition too, just rolled over 100,000 miles not long ago, and still acting as if it was new, I drove around with an OPCOM logging on it and peak torque measured exactly as it would be new (200nm).

Need to remap it, but I don't know exactly where to start, and I'm not paying a significant amount. I'm a bit wary of those boxes that just trick the ECU into tossing more fuel in.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 25, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Roof racks are unnecessary if you can find pool noodles, especially the jumbo variety.

Do you get that roof racks aren't primarily there to give you something to strap to and keep your paint nice? They are there to place the load on a stronger (read: not basically unsupported sheet metal) section of your car, i.e the gutters.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Also there is no way you aren't taking a huge FE hit with that thing strapped to your roof. I don't know what kind of moon calculator you are using, but even having just a roof rack on my car with nothing on it can hit me for a few MPG.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

Do you get that roof racks aren't primarily there to give you something to strap to and keep your paint nice? They are there to place the load on a stronger (read: not basically unsupported sheet metal) section of your car, i.e the gutters.
Yes. The weight of the canoe was on the part of the roof between the sunroof and the edge, a width of about 4 inches. The sheet metal did not deform. It was still possible (though pointless) to open and close the sunroof with the canoe in place. I assume had the roof deformed, the sunroof tracks would have also been bent or otherwise changed and the weak motor driving the sunroof would not have been able to move it.

Bovril Delight posted:

Also there is no way you aren't taking a huge FE hit with that thing strapped to your roof. I don't know what kind of moon calculator you are using, but even having just a roof rack on my car with nothing on it can hit me for a few MPG.
I haven't done the full calculation yet (spreadsheet) but from the numbers on my odometer when I filled up, I'd say the hit was around 10%. I was expecting much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I assume had the roof deformed, the sunroof tracks would have also been bent or otherwise changed and the weak motor driving the sunroof would not have been able to move it.

You assume incorrectly. The sunroof frame it it's own assembly. If it bends you've already REALLY bent the roof sheet metal. You would have to somehow pull the aperture for the sunroof far enough out of shape to bend the sunroof frame, which would be quite obvious and permanent.

I'm not saying don't do it. By all means, it's your car, and by the pics it appears that the load points of the canoe are at least somewhere close to the edges where it's stronger. But don't be surprised if it goes wrong, and don't think you somehow figured out that roof racks are a big scam.