Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If anyone's looking for a cheap Kindle Keyboard: http://www.dailysteals.com/deal/3178/Kindle-Keyboard-Wi-Fi-with-6%22-E-Ink-Display

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

If anyone's looking for a cheap Kindle Keyboard: http://www.dailysteals.com/deal/3178/Kindle-Keyboard-Wi-Fi-with-6%22-E-Ink-Display

There doesn't appear to be a way to purchase it? :ohdear:

I love my KKB. Tried the touch and hated it. I will use the KB until it rots in my hands.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Microsoft Nook eReader

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How often does that Kindle Fire refurb for $139 pop up?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

rock2much posted:

How often does that Kindle Fire refurb for $139 pop up?

It has only popped up twice in the gold box.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

How's the selection on the Amazon Prime Lending Library?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Boxman posted:

How's the selection on the Amazon Prime Lending Library?

It's kinda hit and miss. You won't see books from big publisher, but there are still some good books. I've been reading the Americas galactic foreign legion series.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
In some really surprising news, Amazon announced they are adding the Harry Potter books to the Kindle Lending Library.

I bet they paid out the rear end for those.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
Is there any convenient way to just look at a list of books available for lending? Ideally not on my Kindle? Because I'd use that feature a lot more often if finding stuff to borrow didn't suck.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

nerdpony posted:

Is there any convenient way to just look at a list of books available for lending? Ideally not on my Kindle? Because I'd use that feature a lot more often if finding stuff to borrow didn't suck.

This link should work http://amzn.to/kprimebooks

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Sporadic posted:

In some really surprising news, Amazon announced they are adding the Harry Potter books to the Kindle Lending Library.

I bet they paid out the rear end for those.

What does Amazon get out of an arrangement like that? Are they hoping enough people borrow it...and then buy it? Or that they'll like Amazon more for it and buy more stuff?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's more incentive to pay the $80 a year for Prime.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Amazon wants people to get used to being in the Prime program, ideally so that people get used to buying everything through Amazon but a fee's a fee.

Wild speculation: Amazon keeps offering more incentives to join Prime (lending library, digital movies, express shipping), but I wouldn't be surprised if the rate or price of select services were slowly increased over the next several years, like a shrewder Netflix maneuver.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
What's really mind boggling is that they continue to offer Prime in the UK for the same price (£50) and we don't get anything but free shipping for it. No lending library, no movies, just free regular shipping and cheap express shipping.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Amazon UK really need to get their asses in gear otherwise someone's goin' to release a good Android 7 inch tablet for a similar price point in the UK and take all the potential UK Customers.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Did they ever fix the formatting on the Pottermore books for Kindle? The pictures they are using to advertise their addition to the lending library looks corrected, which is kind of disingenuous if they're still messed up. :spergin:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Not to double post, but it appears that the formatting on the Kindle for the Pottermore books is fixed. I have a Kindle Touch, so I'm not sure whether it was the update to allow KF8 that fixed or, or if Pottermore or Amazon updated the books. I did have to redeliver the books to my Kindle via Amazon to have the changes show up.

Edit: Well the drop caps are all hosed up now but that's less annoying than the chapter headings being misaligned. None of these things are dealbreakers, it's just that you'd think with the popularity of the series they'd try a little harder not to have too many formatting errors.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 11, 2012

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone comment on how the amazon kindle app works on a kindle fire that has had another ROM flashed to it, particularly CM9? I'm thinking of trying it out, but I use the kindle mostly as an e-reader and so would like to maintain good functionality for that.

Also, sorry if this is the wrong thread for this question. If I should be asking in the tablet thread in inspect your gadgets, let me know.

Keebler
Aug 21, 2000
I'm running CM9 with the kindle app and it runs great. It actually does a better job displaying PDFs then the native one on the stock Kindle Fire does. It downloaded all my purchased content locally without a problem, you just need to open a book/magazine once and it'll pull it down.

My only real complaint is that the book list is a little more primitive, it groups all your books and periodicals together rather then separating them out. Not a big deal though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Also confirming it works fine. The first few ICS builds I ran wouldn't boot without being installed over top of the stock ROM, which I know hosed up the frameworks, and no Amazon apps would work. I'm running an AOKP from a few weeks back now and Kindle plus the Amazon-purchased apps I own all work fine.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Great, thanks for the testimonials. Looks like I'll be flashing a rom for the first time this evening.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The current rumor is:

Lighted Kindle (for $10 more) in July
8.9 inch Kindle Fire by the holidays

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012...hnology+News%29

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Lawnie posted:

Great, thanks for the testimonials. Looks like I'll be flashing a rom for the first time this evening.
See if you can get a look at someone else's first. I am kind of pissed I did this because the kindle app really fucks with the margins and isn't very customizable. I'm sure some people don't care, but honestly I can't even use it as an ereader anymore. I got spoiled by my kindle app for iphone -- I swear more text fits on the iphone's screen than on the fire's.

e: my ICS is a little old, though, please ignore me if they've fixed this in a really recent release

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Lawnie posted:

Can anyone comment on how the amazon kindle app works on a kindle fire that has had another ROM flashed to it, particularly CM9? I'm thinking of trying it out, but I use the kindle mostly as an e-reader and so would like to maintain good functionality for that.

Also, sorry if this is the wrong thread for this question. If I should be asking in the tablet thread in inspect your gadgets, let me know.

Kindle app works like you'd expect, except buying books is a pain in the rear end because it just redirects to the browser instead of an in-app interface.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
What ROM are you guys running? I'm having some trouble getting past the boot screen. I think it might be because the md5 file is missing or something, whatever that means. I'll take this question over to the Android thread, though. Thanks for the help all!

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Anne Whateley posted:

See if you can get a look at someone else's first. I am kind of pissed I did this because the kindle app really fucks with the margins and isn't very customizable. I'm sure some people don't care, but honestly I can't even use it as an ereader anymore. I got spoiled by my kindle app for iphone -- I swear more text fits on the iphone's screen than on the fire's.

The kindle app is definitely more limited than stock, but why would you be pissed that you put ICS on it? You can go back to factory pretty easily or flash a modded stock ROM.

I use Aldiko Reader which feels a lot more like the stock Kindle app, and gives you full control over margins, line spacing, font, and color. There are plenty of other readers that will give you the functionality you want, but I suppose if you have a gigantic Amazon library you're kind of stuck using the Kindle brand. I'd probably stick with a stock ROM and sideload other poo poo if I cared about Amazon services.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Thinking of rooting my touchpad, but what I was wondering was if the app for android still allows the sideloading of books.

I know the one for the touchpad doesn't, but I think the android one does, or did.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Thinking of rooting my touchpad, but what I was wondering was if the app for android still allows the sideloading of books.

I know the one for the touchpad doesn't, but I think the android one does, or did.

I use Aldiko on my cm9 touchpad for side loading books.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
We just bought a kindle, and it's awesome. We're looking for a carrying case (preferably one with a reading light for night time reading). Any recommendations?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

melon cat posted:

We just bought a kindle, and it's awesome. We're looking for a carrying case (preferably one with a reading light for night time reading). Any recommendations?

The official Lighted carry case by Amazon is pretty good.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

chippy posted:

What's really mind boggling is that they continue to offer Prime in the UK for the same price (£50) and we don't get anything but free shipping for it.

Well that was what US Prime was a couple of years ago, so it's not that crazy.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Odette posted:

The official Lighted carry case by Amazon is pretty good.

Seconding this. It's a bit pricey but it's really hard wearing and looks classy as gently caress compared to a lot of the other cases. Shop around, I managed to pick one up on ebay for £20. I think it was a factory refurb, it was in mint condition and boxed.

Keebler
Aug 21, 2000

Lawnie posted:

What ROM are you guys running? I'm having some trouble getting past the boot screen. I think it might be because the md5 file is missing or something, whatever that means. I'll take this question over to the Android thread, though. Thanks for the help all!

Didn't see your post in the Android thread. Apologies if this doesn't belong here.

I'm running the base ROM that hashcode provides with his kernel along with gapps:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1591869

I've had zero problems with it so far. How long did you wait for the system to boot? It does take quite a long time to boot up but that's somewhat of a known issue with the kernel.

The md5 files are not necessary for a successful flash. You must use TWRP to flash though, the other bootloader that's out there (forget the name) doesn't work with the 3.0 kernel. When you flash make sure you follow these steps:

Clear cache
Clear dalvik cache
Factory reset
Flash
Clear cache
Clear dalvik cache
Reboot

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Keebler posted:

The md5 files are not necessary for a successful flash. You must use TWRP to flash though, the other bootloader that's out there (forget the name) doesn't work with the 3.0 kernel.

This is not strictly true anymore since Hashcode released his own version of CWM recovery that works properly with CM9 and new kernels. (potentially better since CWM is designed for CM)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

chippy posted:

What's really mind boggling is that they continue to offer Prime in the UK for the same price (£50) and we don't get anything but free shipping for it. No lending library, no movies, just free regular shipping and cheap express shipping.

Well that is the original point of Prime: If you'd otherwise be spending more than the price of prime per year (50 quid in your case) on shipping from Amazon, then you'd save money by getting Prime. Also that if you did a lot of orders that you wanted asap the discounted express price would save you money if you did it enough. It wasn't originally meant to be anything other than that, even though the US version has gained side-benefits.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Keebler posted:

Didn't see your post in the Android thread. Apologies if this doesn't belong here.

I'm running the base ROM that hashcode provides with his kernel along with gapps:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1591869

I've had zero problems with it so far. How long did you wait for the system to boot? It does take quite a long time to boot up but that's somewhat of a known issue with the kernel.

The md5 files are not necessary for a successful flash. You must use TWRP to flash though, the other bootloader that's out there (forget the name) doesn't work with the 3.0 kernel. When you flash make sure you follow these steps:

Clear cache
Clear dalvik cache
Factory reset
Flash
Clear cache
Clear dalvik cache
Reboot

For some reason I kept skipping the factory reset step. doing that and flashing again did the trick. Thanks!

Keebler
Aug 21, 2000
Great, enjoy!

Didn't realize that CWM was working. They're making great progress.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Install Gentoo posted:

Well that is the original point of Prime: If you'd otherwise be spending more than the price of prime per year (50 quid in your case) on shipping from Amazon, then you'd save money by getting Prime. Also that if you did a lot of orders that you wanted asap the discounted express price would save you money if you did it enough. It wasn't originally meant to be anything other than that, even though the US version has gained side-benefits.

This, Prime paid for itself in the first month on shipping savings every time we re-upped. It's a weird perspective thing, the add-ons are gravy to legacy users but now marketed as the big draw to new users.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there any way to buy a book from amazon.co.uk with a US Kindle? William Gibson's "Virtual Light" isn't available on the US store (even though the other two books in the trilogy are on there) and I'm going insane with anger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

So I just got my Kindle on Saturday and can I just say I don't know how I ever got along without it. It's simply amazing. Question though: is there a way to "hide" books off my home screen without deleting them from the device? I have a bunch of Philip K. Dick books and I put them all under a category, trying to make things cleaner on my home screen. Only now it shows the catgory and all of his books and stories anyway. I would love a way to just have a list of authors then just click on their names to be taken to all their works on my device. Is this possible?

Another thing-I somehow have two copies of the Kindle User Guide on my account. Deleting one doesn't seem to work, I assume because once you delete it, Amazon automatically adds it to your account again? Anyone else have this?

Thanks.