Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Seems like they should change the format then, since who went first for half the game depended on who could say a buzzword the quickest.

Also Jesse came off as kind of a dick when they moved onto the next segment and Erin thought you still had to say the buzzword. Forgot exactly what he said and I can't find the spot, but it's not like he explained you didn't need to keep buzzing in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

It's not exactly a serious quiz show. It's a platform for making jokes. The last question is worth 1000 points and is based on the arbitrary judgement of the host.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

inferis posted:

It's not exactly a serious quiz show.

Heh, that's why the traditional panel shows of the UK have never taken off in the US. People can't figure out why you would play and try to be as funny as possible, rather than win. The arbitrary scoring is just part of it.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
That makes more sense then. Didn't get to the part with the 1000 point question. But to be fair there were parts when they weren't trying to make jokes, just trying to get the question right as fast as they could. He should probably explain it better to his guests if that's the case.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

LesterGroans posted:

The latest, live Improv4Humans was really loving funny. Brett Gelman, who I thought was pretty mediocre the last couple of times he's been on the show, was a standout. Lots of really solid scenes.

They used my suggestion (puppet), so this episode was extra special!

But yeah, I have a huge man-crush on Matt Besser. That guy is a machine when it comes to quick thinking.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
It's really impressive how much better Besser is on that show compared to that podcast reality show thing that he was hosting.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Maarak posted:

It's really impressive how much better Besser is on that show compared to that podcast reality show thing that he was hosting.
Besser really picks and chooses when he wants to make an effort.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

drat it, now I really miss the Earwolf Challenge :(

Madlad
Mar 30, 2008
Like so many ukelele playing singer-songwriters, Scott Auckermann's "indie" style of self-aware zany, is starting to grate on me. However, I like the format and characters of Comedy Bang Bang. Is there any podcast out there with decent comedians doing improv and without Scott Auckermann, and without the "indy whimsy"?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Madlad posted:

Like so many ukelele playing singer-songwriters, Scott Auckermann's "indie" style of self-aware zany, is starting to grate on me. However, I like the format and characters of Comedy Bang Bang. Is there any podcast out there with decent comedians doing improv and without Scott Auckermann, and without the "indy whimsy"?

:lol:

I have no idea what indy whimsy is but improv4humans is an improv podcast.

Madlad
Mar 30, 2008
thanks, I'll try it out.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I have no idea what you mean by Scott Aukerman being indie. He was on an indie radio station, I guess? His podcast network isn't listed?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dorepoll posted:

I have no idea what you mean by Scott Aukerman being indie. He was on an indie radio station, I guess? His podcast network isn't listed?

I think get what he's talking about : the kind of edgeless, super positive, reference-dependent, self-assured comedy which I don't agree that Scott Auckerman is at all.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think CBB gets better once you realize that Scott isn't the star of the show. He's just a radio show host who has fascinating people on his show all of the time. He's not that funny on his own, but he's quick-witted enough to help the others shine.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

SpacePig posted:

I think CBB gets better once you realize that Scott isn't the star of the show. He's just a radio show host who has fascinating people on his show all of the time. He's not that funny on his own, but he's quick-witted enough to help the others shine.
He's forced to play the straight-man role on CBB. In other environments -- for example, the last Doug Loves Movies Christmas episode -- he's really funny.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Today's Professor Blastoff... God. I'm calling my Mom tonight.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Doctor Candiru posted:

He's forced to play the straight-man role on CBB. In other environments -- for example, the last Doug Loves Movies Christmas episode -- he's really funny.

his Ben Franklin was great on the Dead Authors podcast.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Lamuella posted:

his Ben Franklin was great on the Dead Authors podcast.

He also had one of the best Who Charted?s but I guess it stands to reason that he would have decent chemistry with his wife.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
He's also not bad whenever he's on Never Not Funny.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Doctor Candiru posted:

He got one of the biggest DLM laughs ever from me when he gave a dubious film in Build A Title and Doug challenged him to describe it and he was like "...it's SO great!"

In other news, My Brother My Brother and Me and The Complete Guide to Everything BOTH mentioned singing "Birdhouse in Your Soul" at karaoke in this week's respective episodes. what does this mean :stare:

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Shovelbearer posted:

He also had one of the best Who Charted?s but I guess it stands to reason that he would have decent chemistry with his wife.

Oof, I know this has been discussed before in the Who Charted! thread, but I was kind of uncomfortable listening to it. The Auker-man seemed pretty hostile towards Howard. It made me feel weird listening to it, so I got onto comedy bang bang much later.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

synertia posted:

Oof, I know this has been discussed before in the Who Charted! thread, but I was kind of uncomfortable listening to it. The Auker-man seemed pretty hostile towards Howard. It made me feel weird listening to it, so I got onto comedy bang bang much later.

I haven't listened to that one in a while but Aukerman and Howard were friends before Howard and Kulap, so any hostility was probably a bit.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I'm pretty sure Who Charted was Scott Aukerman's idea. The name at the very least

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING

LesterGroans posted:

No. I talked about this in the Doug Loves Movies thread. He puts me off so much. I don't particularly find him unfunny I think I just really hate his personality.

Where is that DLM thread?

Do any of you listen to Sick & Wrong? I find myself listening to old Loveline archives and Sick & Wrong in between my usual comedy podcasts. Those two aren't strictly comedy, but they are often hilarious and love line features a lot of comedians over time.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

jakewastaken posted:

Where is that DLM thread?

Right here.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Man, I love how Matt Besser will just put out extra episodes of improv4humans. A whole extra hour this week is such a treat to find in itunes. Definitely one of my favorite podcasts.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Pretty aces week for podcasts in general. My ears are so happy (as Diablo 3 consumes my soul).

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

jakewastaken posted:

Do any of you listen to Sick & Wrong? I find myself listening to old Loveline archives and Sick & Wrong in between my usual comedy podcasts. Those two aren't strictly comedy, but they are often hilarious and love line features a lot of comedians over time.

I've listened to the first 20 and last 20 episodes of Sick & Wrong and I'm slowly making it through the backlog. I like it but I don't like D and Lance (they're kinda scumbags) the way I like Seth and Jonathan so I don't feel compelled to marathon through it the way I marathoned through UYD.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

I've listened to the first 20 and last 20 episodes of Sick & Wrong and I'm slowly making it through the backlog. I like it but I don't like D and Lance (they're kinda scumbags) the way I like Seth and Jonathan so I don't feel compelled to marathon through it the way I marathoned through UYD.

I haven't listened to Sick and Wrong in forever. I used to listen to it for years but I just sort of lost interest. Maybe I'll give it another shot. However, I do like that it's hosted by actual dirtbags as opposed to something like Distorted View which is hosted by a goofball.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

We Hate Movies this week is really great. When they said that "Home Improvement has more subtle camera wipes" I loving lost it.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Danny McBride is on WTF this week. I've just started it and its great.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Bunk Rogers posted:

Danny McBride is on WTF this week. I've just started it and its great.

Yeah some crazy hilarious stories, a must listen.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I periodically search Itunes to see if Danny McBride has been on any podcasts and I never see any. Is WTF the first one he's done? Love that guy, and he grew up where I went to college. I may have seen him in town and didn't even realize!

edit: poo poo, I may have bought a drink from him when he was bar tending. Not too many bars in historical downtown Fredericksburg.

hong kong divorce lunch fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 18, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

At last...

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

At last...

Fuuuuuuck yeaaaahhhh

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
loving yes

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Did anyone else listen to the whole ten minutes at the end??? I kept expecting something to happen and. . . nothing happened.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Considering there was a three month gap between episodes 6 and 7 of Gelmania, maybe he really doesn't want to do it anymore. It's a shame because it might be my favorite podcast right now.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Former earwolf engineer Doug went on a mini twitter rant about "the owner of Earwolf", who I assume means Jeff Ulrich, and was backed up by former engineer Dustin. Wasn't Ulrich behind Cyber Thug Radio ending too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
I think so. Ulrich seems to be like the evil Matt Belknap. Do you have a link to that twitter thing?

• Locked thread