Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Hahaha, who gives a poo poo?
I've never done it and does seem kind of hokey but it does seem pretty reasonable for a fan to wear black shirt of the band they are going to see instead of intentionally picking another black shirt just because.

I agree. It irks me for no valid reason at all, but still.
Can't wait for my Sleep vinyl honestly, and the possibility of new/more Sleep material is making me all giddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I didn't go to any of the shows, but I have been listening to a rip of the vinyl. It does not disappoint. It's extremely heavy, has some super sinister ambient sections. I really like it.

For anyone who missed it/is interested, Old Man Gloom preorders went up. I think all the exciting vinyl colours are gone now, but I'd act fast if you want to grab something (unless you're waiting for the CD or whatever). It kind of annoys me that they didn't put a song up to sample or anything. Kind of puts me off ordering. Oh well.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

nosophoros posted:

I agree. It irks me for no valid reason at all, but still.

I've never heard anyone getting upset for this. :psyduck: At least here many people wear band shirts and those who buy shirts at the gigs immediately put them on, is that weird too? How about sports fans wearing team shirts etc. to a match?

I agree a band wearing their own stuff feels kinda off, but then again, the only time that seems to happen if it's a lesser known band so it's understandable they want to "advertise".

And like I said, I got the Dopesmoker stuff that day and left it lying around, so that shirt was literally the first one within reach when I came out of the shower, so I thought "why not". Clearly it was a mistake and I must be more careful in the future not to pull off such a monumental faux pas.

Enough of that nonsense : the new Ufomammut album seems to be out, anyone checked it out yet?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Metanaut posted:

Enough of that nonsense : the new Ufomammut album seems to be out, anyone checked it out yet?

Yeah it's pretty good! Really feels like the first half of a set though (which it is).

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I wish I liked this more. I was kind of expecting some acoustic guitar down tuning/alternate tuning and some interesting vocals. Neither seem to be present. The vocals kind of sound like your run of the mill airy rock ballad singing with the typical rock singing pronunciations. Almost reminds me of Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes or something. I hope the rest of the album is a bit different.

Yeah, it reminded of Cat Stevens. I hope that it's just a weak song and that the rest is different/better. It's not that bad of a song, it just feels cliche kinda.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Polegrinder posted:

Yeah, it reminded of Cat Stevens. I hope that it's just a weak song and that the rest is different/better. It's not that bad of a song, it just feels cliche kinda.

Heh, I was originally going to say it sounds like Cat Stevens + Black Crowes, then I listen to "Wild World" and reeled my comment in a bit as I thought the comparison didn't do Cat Stevens justice.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

nosophoros posted:

Who the gently caress shows up at a show sporting a bandshirt of the performing band? I've always thought that strange. Simply attending the show should be ample testament of fandom methinks.

Now I'm sad because I tried to find the old Infernal Combustion e-zine and their hilarious exposé on the subject, but it seems to have disappeared completely from the internet.

EDIT: There seems to have been a second page of google results.

quote:

FAN CAN'T DECIDE WHICH T-SHIRT TO WEAR TO CONCERT
Chaos reigned at the home of Tuscon, Arizona metalhead Steve "The Hammer" Hammersley last week, as the 22-year-old landscaper readied himself to attend that evening's In Flames/Earth Crisis show at the Mason Jar. Hammersley had come home from work, eaten dinner, showered, had a few beers, and was backing out of his driveway when he realized something was wrong.

Terribly wrong.

"gently caress, gently caress, gently caress!" he exclaimed, slamming on his brakes and shutting off the engine. "I can't wear this Iced Earth shirt. You fuckin' know Neil's gonna wear the exact same shirt, it's the only metal shirt he's got. I ain't standin' there all night next to him like the fuckin' Bobbsey Twins, wearin' the same drat shirt."

A hurried perusal of Hammersley's clothes drawers, however, only served to amplify the problem. "All right, let's see. I could go old-school and bust out the Cynic shirt... which is bound to get me noticed. Yeah, but then I got dudes comin' up to me all night and asking if I wanna start a band with 'em. Count me out of that sausage party. Hmm... I can't wear an In Flames shirt to an In Flames show, I'll look like some kinda total fanboy who only likes one band. poo poo, my Fate shirt's got that mustard on it... my Exodus shirt's so old my fuckin' gut sticks out of it, that ain't cool... Motorhead? Nah, too 'rock' for this crowd... If I wear my Biohazard shirt, the hardcore kids will think I'm trying too hard to impress them or something... Cannibal Corpse? Yeah, like I don't already have zero chance of gettin' some rear end at this thing... the Maiden shirt might -- nah, too obvious..."

Hammersley took a moment away from the selection process to explain further. "It's not just putting on clothes and going to a show. Everyone there is wearing a t-shirt with a band on it, and they're all telling you something about themselves. There are important social, political and contextual considerations to weigh. One might, for example, wear a shirt from a concert that just came through the week before -- in my case, I could wear my Hate Eternal longsleeve -- to show that you're at every gig, supporting the scene and keeping the underground alive. Real diehards will have a shirt or two they had to order from Europe -- like, say, this Marduk 'Fistfucking God's Planet' t-shirt -- to show their depth of knowledge and total immersion in the metal culture. Breaking out an old Suicidal Tendencies, Napalm Death or D.R.I. shirt would indicate a metalhead's length of time in the scene, as well as his early involvement in the 'crossover' of hardcore and metal, which would score one points with some older Earth Crisis fans, I'd think.

"Likewise," he continued, "an old-school band's old shirt -- a Metallica, Slayer or Anthrax tee -- if obviously well-worn and purchased at a concert years and years ago -- will convey one's length of time in the metal community. This Megadeth "Peace Sells" shirt would do the trick for me, only it's ripped and my right nipple sticks out of it. A new shirt from a band like that is out unless you're actually at their concert, or wish to show that you're someone who bucks trends and supports your favorite when the bandwagon-jumpers have abandoned them -- sort of a double-edged sword there, not a move for the novice. Allegiance to a certain sub-genre can be shown -- say, if I wanted to make myself known to the prog/power contingent, this Kamelot shirt would do nicely, while if I was interested in making the acquaintance of other tech-metal enthusiasts, either the aforementioned Cynic or my new Spiral Architect longsleeve would work.

"You can see," he concluded, "how choosing just one shirt -- one message, one standard to bear before your metal brethren -- can be such an arduous task. However, I think I have settled on my prized Kreator 'Extreme Aggression' tour shirt from '89. It's still in great shape, old enough for the old-school crowd to recognize me as one of their own, while not alienating fans of other genres or -- SONOFABITCH!! I lent it to that fuckhead Neil!! He's still got it!! Son of a motherfucking DICK!!!"

Thankfully, the crisis played itself out without incident, eventually becoming a moot issue.

"poo poo," Hammersley muttered, looking at the clock. "I already missed half the show. gently caress this, let's go get a twelve-pack and watch wrestling."

EDIT SOME MORE: gently caress me, that's almost twelve years old.... Still rings true though.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 10, 2012

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Hahaha, I got schooled (and rightfully so).

I had high hopes for the latest UFOMAMMUT, and while I think it's a solid effort, sadly it's no EVE. Maybe the second part'll blow my mind.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I think it's cool when big bands wear small band shirts, like Metallica sporting a Ghost shirt. Beyond that who the gently caress cares, myself excluded since I cared enough to post this.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
The new Ufomammut is great and I think it'll take a huge fuckup for them to make a poor album at this point. I do notice though, that it seems very structurally similar to Eve, the way it plays around a theme over 45 minutes - I don't really mind but I think they'll have to take a different approach after Oro 2 is out, otherwise the formula might get a little stale. Listening to both parts in one go should be a blast, though.

Loving the new Horseback as well! Nobody does music like this guy.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Frank Caskelot posted:

I just came home from seeing Sleep and let me tell you, it was AWESOME!

Edit: Holy poo poo, does the live recording on the Tee Pee version of Dopesmoker do no justice to Sonic Titan. Also, Al said about the song, "This song isn't on any of our albums, yet."

That live recording of "Sonic Titan" is a bootleg from 1992, so it's not surprising that they can play it a lot better now. It would be pretty cool if they did a proper recording of the song.

Interestingly enough, Al has said in interviews that parts of "Sonic Titan" actually became parts of "Dopesmoker." It's pretty hard to hear on the recorded version of "Dopesmoker," but on the faster live version they played in 1994 it's much more obvious.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Has anyone here heard or see Holly Hunt? I caught them last Friday opening for Torche and they were amazing!

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Holy poo poo, new Baroness track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZKPpeuHvJk

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Wow this sounds nothing like I expected but I love it.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
The two live videos I saw of that song did it no justice. Can't wait for July.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah, the live version did not do that song justice. Holy poo poo.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
My Baroness preorder cannot get here soon enough, 2cds of music like that? Holy poo poo.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Yeah, seriously. I was stoked before, but now I'm amped. :pcgaming:

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Bought the single for "Take my Bones Away" from iTunes, sounds so much better than the youtube.

I can't believe people (facebook) are like Baroness is the new Nickleback, and that this is their Black album (selling out).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Polegrinder posted:

Bought the single for "Take my Bones Away" from iTunes, sounds so much better than the youtube.

I can't believe people (facebook) are like Baroness is the new Nickleback, and that this is their Black album (selling out).

The Blue album sounded different than the Red album which sounded different than One and Two... Green/Yellow sounds awesome and is gonna rip like all hell, get over it drat.

(That message was to "people (facebook)", not to you)

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
It's really amazing (and sad) to me that so many people want a progressive metal band to just do the same poo poo over and over again. To me, part of what being a progressive act entails is constantly trying new things, and never settling. For Baroness to record Red Album Pt. 2 would be "selling out", because it's safe. The style on Blue & Yellow doesn't seem THAT much different than it did on Blue Record, but because it's different at all, it's a risk, and you'll get idiots on facebook bitching about it.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

The same thing was said about Mastodon with The Hunter. Kylesa is a different band now then their first album (looks like they will be experimenting on their next one too). I really enjoy the direction Baroness is going and can't wait for the whole thing. I've listened to the single quite a few times today already.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

nomapple posted:

Did anyone get to any of the Old Man Gloom shows and get a copy of the new record? Anyone? If you did, what's the verdict?

I've only heard this 14 second teaser on youtube, which basically says nothing we don't already know about Old Man Gloom, but judging from the sheer quality of their past four albums, I'm not worried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2_Y4JTeo-4

Crackerman posted:

Do Torche count as stoner rock? I'm reasonably sure I got them from this thread and I've barely stopped listening their new album Harmonicraft since it came out. It's probably one of the most uplifting things I've heard recently if that's what you're into.
Torche counts. I saw them live in Chapel Hill last week. Glad I did, because one of the opening bands, "Holly Hunt" was a good new find for me. 2-piece guy/girl sludge metal band. All instrumental. Very low-fi. 20-minute wandering tracks. Almost the opposite of Torche on the spectrum of accessibility in the sludge genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suWVHOLdgGo

MechanizedDeath
Aug 14, 2007
Is anyone making it out to MDF X?

I have tickets/hotel/flight reservations, but due to my travelling partner's wife having liver failure and being in ICU, does not look like I will still be going. I might have a couple tickets for sell this weekend, if anyone might be interested. Waiting to hear back from my sister to see if she wants to buy out his half of the trip, but until then it's cancelled.

So bummed about missing Electric Wizard.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Ever Circling Wolves just put out a new track, which we recorded live in studio during the drum sessions for our upcoming album. You can listen to it on our soundcloud page.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
man, I completely forgot about this thread...

anyway, I just got turned on to KozybunX ("great band, terrible name" - internet person) and it's pretty cool. I heard it described as such: "Think Bongzilla but the samples are about Satan & Serial Killers instead of weed."

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

that live video was great, but fffuuuuuuuuu-

e: youtube is hilarious - one single chosen for its accessibility out of two albums worth of music obviously indicates they made a poppunk album

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 19, 2012

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I found this band promo photo shot in a huge box of assorted promo photos going back 20 years at a campus radio station, and I'm looking at it and wondering if the guy in yellow Mark Lanegan? And if so, who are the other two guys? Screaming Trees era Lanegan, or solo Lanegan touring musicians? Sorry for the terrible quality, don't have a scanner. And I realize asking a question about Mark Lanegan in the doom/sludge thread is a bit weird, but I figure someone more acquainted with stoner rock might know. There is nothing written on the back of the photo.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

That Black Sabbath thread died off into the archives it seems. Their performance on Friday at the Birmingham O2 arena sounded amazing. I've been watching youtube videos of it and god drat, they sound great. Ozzy's voice is on point, Geezer sounds great, and of course Tony is fantastic. They are using Ozzy's solo drummer Tommy Clufetos and I think he does fine. I do wish Bill Ward was with them, but 3 out of 4 isn't bad.

I'm really impressed and I hope Tony gets well enough for them to do a longer tour at some point.

you_sneeze_you_die
Sep 30, 2010

skasion posted:

Picked up Horseback - Half Blood. As always from him, great release, though it's not up to the level of The Invisible Mountain for me.

the first few listens I kinda felt that way but I really am starting to appreciate it more and move.

you_sneeze_you_die
Sep 30, 2010

stationlost posted:

didn't they also put out that free melvins ep?

so who all is going to the festival?

looks like I am

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
New Ahab dropped. Thoughts?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Houseplant posted:

It's a lot more singing than screaming now. I like it a lot, but it's not as desperate and lost sounding like the first two albums were.

smell the witch
Jun 10, 2011
Sorry if this has been posted, but Morkobot is the greatest poo poo ever. Apparently they're a side-project of the Ufomammut guys but they have nothing in common. In fact no one has anything in common with Morkobot. Two bass players, a drummer and the fattest grooves on earth.

Morkobot!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Houseplant posted:

I think it may take time to grow on me, like Divinity did, but right now I'm a bit let down by it. Definitely agree with it not sounding lost and desperate which I REALLY like about the first two. Not as many melodic surprises either, like Divinity. The cover art was a sign poo poo would be different this time (I hate it) but it's not the total disappointment I thought it would be based on the song samples they put out. It'll grow on me but I don't think it'll be the perfection Divinity of Oceans is.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Dopesmoker vinyl (and shirt) (and poster) please get here soon :ohdear:

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Silver Brushes posted:

Dopesmoker vinyl (and shirt) (and poster) please get here soon :ohdear:

Can't wait for this. Have a night planned with my brother-in-law to come over and listen to it when it gets here. He has never heard it before (tends to go for faster, less spacey metal), which should make for a good experience.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sleep tomorrow night :stare:

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sleep tomorrow night :stare:
you lucky bastard :stare:

Oh, here's an interview with John Garcia and Brant Bjork talking about the whole legal mess with Kyuss Lives. It's all a bit upsetting really. Hopefully the record they're going to make is at least a decent bit of desert rock, regardless of whether it comes off as like legit Kyuss or not (doubtful).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aki.
Mar 12, 2007

A goblin in the works.
I went to the Sabbath gig last Saturday in the Birmingham O2.

Such a great night, they were really full on. They haven't lost any of the magic and no one seemed too bothered that Bill Ward wasn't drumming. It almost makes me tempted to get a day ticket for Download just for them.

Also, anyone heading to see St.Vitus in June in Manchester or London?