Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamboning
May 2, 2010

Phy posted:

Bigby's Accusing Finger

The real question is, can familiars be called as witnesses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Hamboning posted:

The real question is, can familiars be called as witnesses?

Ordinary dogs and parrots can. Why not familiars?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Objection! The witness is obviously under a charm spell. Prosecution moves his testimony be struck from the record.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Your Honor. It is a well known fact that a Parrot Familiar under the Fourth Edition of our policies may have it's owner speak and hear through it. Clearly the witness is compromised and biased in it's continued claims his owner is, I quote 'Not Guilty, and has a huge staff'. In addition, we believe it's streetwise bonuses imply a connection to the local mob as well and would like to pursue a case later against the parrot."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 16, 2012

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You're a sham, Regdar!

Are there any games with good social combat systems that would work for an Ace Attorney-style game?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
More update fun from the Furry Aspie BT GM.

Thanks to the fine folks on #megamek I was linked to him complaining about ME:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,18826.0.html

Notice how much he leaves out.

Also notice he makes no mention of his friend who today said he was kind of sad I decided to not come back. So clearly not everyone didn't feel that way. (And considering I knew 2 other players in the group and have for years if they had issue with me they sure as gently caress didn't talk to me about it.)

Oh, and I found out the XP difference between my character and everyone else's.

I had 6500 build XP (5000 is default if I understand it correctly.). They all had 7500.

The GM apparently wanted me to be the "rookie" of the party even as by his own admission 3 of them were complete newbies and I have been playing the game since 1988 when I got it as part of my birthday/Jr High graduation presents. (I am like 5 years older than this nose picking furry SOB. He is early 30s. And still pickin winners in public.)

Did the GM ever talk with me about this? Nooo. What a classy guy. (Ask the #megamek folks if you want to know what sort of pictures he has favorited on Deviant Art. I shant link it here.)

Man. Its getting funnier and funnier.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 16, 2012

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Captain Rufus posted:

A constant source of entertainment

This is why I love the internet. :allears:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Want a free courtroom RPG? http://seadracula.wordpress.com/

Prosecutors do not necessarily have to relate their opinions to the case. For example, someone might prove red is the best color; another may say that grapes are delicious.

Disagreements are solved with dance breaks.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Golden Bee posted:

Want a free courtroom RPG? http://seadracula.wordpress.com/

Prosecutors do not necessarily have to relate their opinions to the case. For example, someone might prove red is the best color; another may say that grapes are delicious.

Disagreements are solved with dance breaks.

I hate dancing. I want to play this game. How are both of those sentences true?

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

You're a crook taking book.
Judge won't you throw this book
In the Slaaaamer.

Rahns
Feb 15, 2008
My ass belongs to peo
I actually remember a good experience, from my Deathwatch group.

We were clearing out buildings and we came to one after breaking the wall down and this conversation took place.

Me: I look into the room, do I see any orks
Dm: no, but you can hear ork like breed...breathing
:stare:

For the rest of the campaign whenever a room was checked we asked if we hear any breeding going on

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Isn't ork breeding basically pollination?

Rahns
Feb 15, 2008
My ass belongs to peo

Yawgmoth posted:

Isn't ork breeding basically pollination?

Orks breed like dandelions or fungus, in their case when they fight/have fun/die, or in simpler terms exist, they let off spores, when they die though is when the most spores come off.
/:reject:

It was more the he made the slip and a few people in the group thought orks bred like people.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

In one of our games a player had that explained and was like, "Huh, so orks are actually genderless, that's neat."

My DM thought for a minute and said, "Yeah but they still all have dicks, because they have to be able to comically pee on stuff."

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Byers2142 posted:

I hate dancing. I want to play this game. How are both of those sentences true?

Replace dance breaks with slamming your hands on the table and gesticulating wildly while tossing out accusations :objection:

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
IT isn't a tabletop game, but this past weekend I was introduced to Arkham Horror by my uncle, who. I was having fun, and in the second game we played my character had an item that allowed me to rack up something crazy like 18 or 20 sanity by the time that the Elder One showed up. Unfortunately, the Elder one in particular was Nyalathotep, and if your character doesn't have any clue tokens he devours you right off the bat. So while my character didn't go insane at the sight of the unnatural horror from beyond time and space, it didn't do him much good. It's a wicked fun game.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Beardless posted:

IT isn't a tabletop game, but this past weekend I was introduced to Arkham Horror by my uncle, who. I was having fun, and in the second game we played my character had an item that allowed me to rack up something crazy like 18 or 20 sanity by the time that the Elder One showed up. Unfortunately, the Elder one in particular was Nyalathotep, and if your character doesn't have any clue tokens he devours you right off the bat. So while my character didn't go insane at the sight of the unnatural horror from beyond time and space, it didn't do him much good. It's a wicked fun game.
FYI you can't go higher than your max sanity in sanity points. Same for health. Arkham Horror is a drat fine game, though.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Yawgmoth posted:

FYI you can't go higher than your max sanity in sanity points. Same for health. Arkham Horror is a drat fine game, though.

The item in question was the Healing Stone, and my uncle told me I could. :iiam:

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Captain Bravo posted:

Take Aye, Dark Overlord, throw the whole thing together with Dungeons and Dragons, and then add in a splash of Phoenix Wright. Game of the Year 2013.

Edit: Son of a bitch. Now I'm sad that it doesn't exist. Someone make this a thing, please!

I've actually considered merging the first two to let the players wind down between story arcs.

The heroes take down the lieutenant of the big band and his henchmen. Gold is distributed, everyone's happy, etc.

Next Session: "It would seem that those meddling adventurers have ruined yet another of my brilliant plans. So...Which one of you failed me?"

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Beardless posted:

The item in question was the Healing Stone, and my uncle told me I could. :iiam:

Everyone houserules Arkham Horror, whether they know it or not.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Beardless posted:

Arkham Horror's rules are poorly organized and there's a lot to keep track of. It's pretty normal to get something like this wrong.

The Healing Stone cannot take you over your max sanity.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Arkham Horror's rules are poorly organized and there's a lot to keep track of. It's pretty normal to get something like this wrong.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Everyone houserules Arkham Horror, whether they know it or not.
Both of these are very true. Me and my friends houserule the poo poo out of it, the most common one being the "unanimous call of shenanigans means one do-over." Usually invoked when someone rolls 12 dice and gets no successes, or when we get a really loving terrible rumor for the first mythos card.

A question: Does anyone know what the hell "activity at: <locale>" means? As far as I can tell, it just means putting a glowy number token on a place, but does it do anything?

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Yawgmoth posted:

A question: Does anyone know what the hell "activity at: <locale>" means? As far as I can tell, it just means putting a glowy number token on a place, but does it do anything?

The rest of the card will explain what's happening there, and it usually is a good idea to number it. By itself, "activity at:" doesn't really do anything.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Ah, yeah, I could see that I guess. My and mine are pretty good about just remembering that something is happening there while the card is active.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The first time I played Arkham Horror, I played as the gangster and got pumped at the idea of an idiot gunman just firing a tommy gun at eldritch horrors. Within two turns he got cursed and could only succeed on 1s or something. I didn't get a 6 to lift the curse until the very end, so he basically just wandered in and out of various gates to the beyond going more and more insane. He kept gaining nightmarish power through books and scrolls but couldn't actually use any of them because I kept rolling so badly. Finally he broke the curse, unleashed his dark magic, and closed a gate no one else could get to in time so the ancient one didn't eat everyone.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
The first time I played, I was the magician and I thought "sweet! I like being party mage!" but as it turns out, the magician is totally rear end at being a wizard because his sanity is only slightly better than average and his lore is decent but not great. There's at least two characters better at spells than he is.

In another game, I found out how amazing the Locate Gate spell plus the Gate Box item are when together. Jump in the nearest gate, immediately come out of the one no one can reach fast, seal it as my encounter. I think I ended up with like 5 gate trophies that game.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

Yawgmoth posted:

The first time I played, I was the magician and I thought "sweet! I like being party mage!" but as it turns out, the magician is totally rear end at being a wizard because his sanity is only slightly better than average and his lore is decent but not great. There's at least two characters better at spells than he is.

Haha. That's pretty Lovecraftian to be honest.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Beardless posted:

Arkham Horror

It's a wicked fun game.

Seriously. Our group pulls out AH when no one is motivated to GM a session but we still feel like gaming. Even though it's a board game, we end up building a storyline around our play because we are nerds like that and in our last game we completely blew it and didn't pay attention to the number of beaties on the board and the terror level got too high that the shops closed on us and we started to get overrun.

I was the last player alive in the end when the Ancient One awoke and I felt like Robert Taylor at the end of Bataan: Just me an' my trusty flamethrower hammering on the Ancient One until my stat hit zero...

Good times.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 17, 2012

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

If you guys want to play something a little less complicated than arkham horror, I recommend 'betrayal at the house on the hill'. The first half of the game is a procedurally generated scooby doo haunted house exploration, and then one or more of the characters turns out to be a traitor/ vampire/ witch doctor/ john carpenter's 'the thing', and everyone else has to stop them. Some scenarios are better than others, but me and my friends have had a blast with most of them.

To clarify, it is a board game. You don't have to make characters or anything. A little pricey, but very fun.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

pw pw pw posted:

If you guys want to play something a little less complicated than arkham horror, I recommend 'betrayal at the house on the hill'. The first half of the game is a procedurally generated scooby doo haunted house exploration, and then one or more of the characters turns out to be a traitor/ vampire/ witch doctor/ john carpenter's 'the thing', and everyone else has to stop them. Some scenarios are better than others, but me and my friends have had a blast with most of them.

To clarify, it is a board game. You don't have to make characters or anything. A little pricey, but very fun.

It is a pretty sweet game, I just played some last week. The haunt started halfway through turn 2, though, which I always think is a shame.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

pw pw pw posted:

I've played both, but I've gone sour on Betrayal because I've played 4 times and every time I have died well before everyone else despite not actually playing badly. I just have the worst luck, and not just on the dice, though those are miserable. Every time I have picked a character that is bad for the scenario with which we end up. If the horror attacks the mind (keep in mind the nature of the haunt isn't known at the start) then I've already chosen a big strong bugger with no mental resistance, and when I've picked a mental powerhouse it's inevitably some 6-year-old sprog with the strength of a bowl of rice pudding and the haunt attacks you by throwing 16-ton weights or something similar.

I realise that's kind of petty, but it's hard to grow fond of a game when, every time, it knees me in the balls within the first few turns. At least when I play Ghost Stories I get to do a few things before we're all disembowelled.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 18, 2012

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.
I really enjoyed Arkham Horror the first four, five times I played it, but the long set-up time, complicated rules, huge physical space / time requirement (especially if you have one - or more - of the board expansions) have pulled me away from it.

I found that I can get a similar experience with "Pandemic," with a fraction of the time / space requirement. Feeling of dread and terror every time a player's turn is over and it's time for "the deck" to take its turn, check. Players pulling together to take on sometimes overwhelming odds to try and save the world, check. Multiple ways to lose, only one way to win, check.

The first time I played "Betrayal at House on the Hill," we got a scenario for an underground lake. For some reason, this underground lake was located in the attic. I'm still not sure if this ruined or enhanced the game for me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

BlurryMystr posted:

I'm still not sure if this ruined or enhanced the game for me.
Betrayal at the House on the Hill is like that. I don't know if it's good or not, but I wouldn't have it any other way. :allears:

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

BlurryMystr posted:

The first time I played "Betrayal at House on the Hill," we got a scenario for an underground lake. For some reason, this underground lake was located in the attic. I'm still not sure if this ruined or enhanced the game for me.

This tile was (unsurprisingly) misprinted, but they did address the issue in the errata:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/faqs/hoth posted:

Why is the Underground Lake on the upper floor?
See, it's a special kind of levitating lake, and... All right, it's a misprint. Here's how to handle the Underground Lake. When you find the lake on the upper floor, the floor collapses, plunging you down through the ground floor and into the lake in the basement. Put the Underground Lake tile next to any door in the basement (put it next to the Basement Landing if no other tiles have been played in the basement yet). The spot where you intended to play this tile on the upper floor is still open and a different tile can be played there the next time it's explored. You're now in the basement on the lake tile.

(Or just think of it as a rooftop pool)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The first printing of BaHotH is terrible with that sort of thing. That one can come up almost any game, but some of the haunts are just unforgivably broken due to misprints and bad wordings. A friend of mine that owns that printing has printed out like eight pages of errata PLUS an entirely new Traitor's Tome and Survivalist's Handbook or whatever the gently caress they're called. The second printing (with the green box) fixes all that.

Criticality
Nov 4, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Both of these are very true. Me and my friends houserule the poo poo out of it, the most common one being the "unanimous call of shenanigans means one do-over." Usually invoked when someone rolls 12 dice and gets no successes, or when we get a really loving terrible rumor for the first mythos card.
Hey, guess what?

I like Arkham Horror, but I really wish they would've streamlined the game a little bit more. So many rules. I like BaHotH too, but it felt a bit unbalanced when I played it. There were multiple cases where the haunt felt either like a walk in the park or drat near impossible. The theme is great though!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Well huh! We've been doing it right this whole time. I really wish AH's rules were better presented. As it is, they're almost as bad as the Mage: the Awakening core book. Everything is so all over the place it's hard to actually read the rules for any one part without reading the entire book.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

Well huh! We've been doing it right this whole time. I really wish Fantasy Flight's rules were better presented.

Fixed that for you. Don't get me wrong, Fantasy Flight makes incredibly good games, but their rules books are TERRIBLE for easily finding information.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Randalor posted:

Fixed that for you. Don't get me wrong, Fantasy Flight makes incredibly good games, but their rules books are TERRIBLE for easily finding information.

These are both terribly true. I remember trying to comprehend Twilight Imperium by reading the books and I got basically nowhere. Unfortunately, the guys who offered to teach me were utter cocks about it and now I can't even think about playing the game without feeling sour. And since this is the thread for it, I'll recount that experience!

One of my friends buys TI because he likes board games and knows some people who like this game especially, so he invites them and me over to play. Let's call these friends Rocko, Heffer, and Filbert. So Rocko starts setting things up while Heffer and Filbert try to explain the rules to me, as I had previously tried to read the book and got essentially nothing from it. They give me the bare basics of the game, and we start playing.

For those of you who play Magic: have you ever seen someone get taught how to play by their teacher using a tournament-ready monoblue control deck and the student being given a monogreen stompy deck made out of poo poo from the back of the closet? That's kind of how this felt. I wasn't really told the value of anything, so I was essentially picking at random for initiative cards. A lot of "just pick and we'll tell you what it does and if it's good". I wasn't told how combat actually functions, only that it was "kinda like magic" so when I built a bunch of (what I thought were) useful ships and went into a battle with someone, I got absolutely devastated. Rocko thought this was an appropriate way to teach because it was supposed to be an enjoyable challenge for me to blindly guess what to do next and have my poo poo brutally destroyed for failure. Filbert thought it totally fair game to assault the newbie for easy gains, so anything that was anything less than perfectly defended was attacked and taken by half his force. Heffer was at least being decent about things considering he started out with the motherfucking Death Star, but since I had no hope of winning I just threw myself into a final hopeless fight and let him lay waste to me on his next go.

Rocko of course couldn't understand why this was not fun for me and got all pissy when I declined his later offers to play, even chiding me for not enjoying being around him and his ultra-hardcore-boardgame buddies who do not converse at all beyond what is happening in the game when playing; apparently using rules you haven't even taught a new player to knock them back to square loving one every turn is supposed to be a pleasant bonding experience? I dunno. I stopped hanging out with him because he'd constantly complain about not getting invited to do stuff, despite him getting invited to tons of poo poo and him turning it down to play touhou. And when he would actually be social, he couldn't shut up for 5 seconds about how corporations are turning us into slaves and the government is making us docile & controlling our thoughts with fluoride. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

A guy I know pitched Twilight Imperium as an 8-hour emotional investment of a boardgame. I already don't like strategy games all that much, but that pushed it over the top. No thank you, FFG.