Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It was one year ago today that Shin Yaguchi posted his translation of Mega Man 3 and kicked this effort off. It's been a wild ride and we've done so much I have trouble keeping track of it all. Even with the necessary gaps in releases we've put out episodes at a rate over twice as fast as the actual show. And the viewership of each episode keeps on climbing.

It's been a hell of a first year and I'm sure we're going to have a hell of a second one.

If only I had some thematically appropriate video to release for this special day...

Well, there is something that comes to mind. Let me see if I have some extra art to go with it.

I think this picture works.

:toot:Arino's 40th Birthday Spectacular!:toot:

The translator on this one is zari-gani who I think actually got some of that sushi they had set out for the party. No word on if she got any of the cake.

Of course all of this from beginning to end is because of the entire SA Team. Everyone needs to take a bow.

Download torrent81 (1 file; 377.48 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Holy gently caress this has been the best week or so ever. 3 great episodes?

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Wow...I wasn't even expecting this, but I'm really looking forward to it now.

Speeds started at 500kb, dropped down to 70kb. This could take awhile.

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 15, 2012

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
:golfclap: You lot have done something here that I never imagined would happen. Simply amazing. It's been said many times before, but thank you for all of your hard work and dedication. Thanks also for running the OP, Random Stranger, it puts my old one to shame.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can someone message me the non-Kotaku translation of 53 Stations of the Tokaido? I can't even get the Kotaku version to work.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Right now, I would suggest going through the direct download route, then seeding that through the torrent. Seems to be the fastest (and most polite) way.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can someone message me the non-Kotaku translation of 53 Stations of the Tokaido? I can't even get the Kotaku version to work.

Pretty much all of the translated episodes (including those that were taken down due to Kotaku/DVD) are available on Youtube.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
You guys are amazing. Can't wait to get home from work and load this up! Thanks so much!

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
This is the kind of episode that gave me a wide grin the whole time. Amazing stuff.

Also, whenever anyone draws his stubble, it always looks like he's having a horrific outbreak of herpes. Kinda gross, especially present #40

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 15, 2012

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
You guys do amazing work. :)

I remember sending a fax during the 40th Birthday Challenge. I didn't even care if it got shown or not but I really hope they got it.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
The male AD Itou from the 40th bday special is the current AD Itou for season 16. Male AD Takahashi was behind the camera since season 13, but was on camera AD for season 15. I wonder how long a AD works behind the scenes before being the main AD for the season.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

So how much to import one of those big' ol king slimes? I may have to settle with a regular one.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I was hoping that the copmpilation would have shown and translated the bday message from Hamaguchi of Yoiko. I love it when Hamaguchi makes appearances on GCCX.

@zarigani
Since it wasn't in the compilation video, could you translate a brief summary of Hamaguchi's message to Arino from the 40th bday live special.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Seeing them have to wiggle around how we're watching the show was funny.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Bocc Kob posted:

Squid jerky.

Of course, how could I be so stupid?! I like to think he'd be wearing a bedazzled version of his green suit.

Also, I can't wait to watch this new episode when I get home from work tonight! :buddy: I used to suffer through TV Nihon's insane release schedule so the prospect of new content on even a semi-regular basis, let alone how quickly you guys are managing, is super amazing to me. Thank you.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I opted to leave out Hamaguchi's message because it wasn't very interesting unless you're into Japanese comedians. It was just "hey, happy birthday, good luck" and mostly bantering with another comedy duo off-screen (Bananaman, I think it was).

I remember for years, I wanted to offer my help to TV-Nihon by letting them know they have a lot of significant mistranslations in their subs, but I was afraid of inadvertently offending them so I decided to leave them be and let them do their thing. Then I wandered back here to look for new episodes to download and found out about SAGCCX. I watched a couple of episodes and was very impressed -- I thought, "these guys really know what they're doing," and felt confident about joining the efforts. I'm glad that I did!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I made a list of birthday presents Arino received.

1. Birthday message (Hamaguchi of Yoiko)
2. Birthday message (Hamaguchi of Yoiko, again)
3. Birthday message (Kimoto of TKO)
4. Birthday message (Hirai of America Zarigani)
5. Birthday message (Chiaki)
6. Birthday phonecall (Yamasato of Nankai Candies)
7. Happy Birthday Slime + message (Yuuji Horii)
8. Birthday message (Masahiro Sakurai)
9. Pilotwings How-to Video: Area 6, skydiving (former ADs Emoto and Itou)
10. Pilotwings How-to Video: Area 7, hang gliding (former ADs Emoto and Itou)
11. N/A
12. Pilotwings How-to Video: Area 8, rocket belt (former ADs Emoto and Itou)
13. Pilotwings How-to Video: Secret Mission (former ADs Emoto and Itou)
14. Original Song "Chief Fighter" (staff composer Sakurai)
15. Animation (staff CG artist Yoshino)
16. Sushi (Bandai Namco games)
17. Illustration (Canadian fan Nina)
18. Special pizza (Cameraman Abe)
19. Countdown (Inoko MAX)
20. Birthday cake (AD Egawa)
21. Birthday Song (former AD Tsuruoka)
22. N/A
23. Area 8 light plane diorama (AD Takahashi)
24. N/A
25. N/A
26. Shikishi board message (arcade trip narrator Takeda)
27. N/A
28. N/A
29. Chopsticks (Nakajima)
30. Aromatherapy + "I will listen to anything" card (AD Watanabe and Producer Kan)
31. Video message and balloons (former AP Kobayashi)
32. Sunglasses (sound guy Fujimoto)
33. N/A
34. Video message (Super Monkey Adventures helper Kaayan)
35. Video message (Super Mario 2 helper Akita)
36. The Chief Detective game cartridge (Suzui of Indies Zero)
37. N/A
38. Limited Edition Zelda 3DS (Nintendo)
39. Letter (Arino's wife Yuuko)
40. Portraits (Arino's daughters Shiika and Momone)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

zari-gani posted:

I remember for years, I wanted to offer my help to TV-Nihon by letting them know they have a lot of significant mistranslations in their subs, but I was afraid of inadvertently offending them so I decided to leave them be and let them do their thing. Then I wandered back here to look for new episodes to download and found out about SAGCCX. I watched a couple of episodes and was very impressed -- I thought, "these guys really know what they're doing," and felt confident about joining the efforts. I'm glad that I did!

My Japanese is godawful but even I know there were bunches of mistranslations or at least really odd ways to try to localize it, but I didn't really care because I had no other options. Then there was Kotaku and that was nightmarishly worse and then there is the SAGCCX Team and ∩(︶▽︶)∩

I will be buying that DVD so fast.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

Seeing them have to wiggle around how we're watching the show was funny.
It's a good thing Kibe was there. I don't know how well the rest of the crew would have been able to pick up that Arino's oblivious question was actually a potential bomb, and have been able to so successfully defuse it. He reminds me of Penny and the dog from Inspector Gadget: seems innocent and naive, but is actually the only thing ensuring poo poo runs at all and never takes any credit.

He is, however, the world's worst Game & Watch salesman.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
"Here's a fax from Nina Sakamoto." "Oh, it's written in Japanese!" "I think she has Japanese ancestors or something."

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Ahh, I remember enjoying this one streamed. I wouldn't mind seeing him try Pilot Wings 64 one of these days.

Speaking of the King Slimes, isn't this like his third? He's going to have an army of these things.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I made a list of birthday presents Arino received.

1. Birthday message (Hamaguchi of Yoiko)
2. Birthday message (Hamaguchi of Yoiko, again)
3. Birthday message (Kimoto of TKO)
4. Birthday message (Hirai of America Zarigani)
6. Birthday phonecall (Yamasato of Nankai Candies)
7. Happy Birthday Slime + message (Yuuji Horii)
8. Birthday message (Masahiro Sakurai)
9. Pilotwings How-to Video: Area 6, skydiving (former ADs Emoto and Itou)
10. Pilotwings How-to Video: Area 7, hang gliding (former ADs Emoto and Itou)
11. N/A
12. Pilotwings How-to Video: Area 8, rocket belt (former ADs Emoto and Itou)
13. Pilotwings How-to Video: Secret Mission (former ADs Emoto and Itou)
14. Original Song "Chief Fighter" (staff composer Sakurai)
15. Animation (staff CG artist Yoshino)
16. Sushi (Bandai Namco games)
17. Illustration (Canadian fan Nina)
18. Special pizza (Cameraman Abe)
19. Countdown (Inoko MAX)
20. Birthday cake (AD Egawa)
21. Birthday Song (former AD Tsuruoka)
22. N/A
23. Area 8 light plane diorama (AD Takahashi)
24. N/A
25. N/A
26. Shikishi board message (arcade trip narrator Takeda)
27. N/A
28. N/A
29. Chopsticks (Nakajima)
30. Aromatherapy + "I will listen to anything" card (AD Watanabe and Producer Kan)
31. Video message and balloons (former AP Kobayashi)
32. Sunglasses (sound guy Fujimoto)
33. N/A
34. Video message (Super Monkey Adventures helper Kaayan)
35. Video message (Super Mario 2 helper Akita)
36. The Chief Detective game cartridge (Suzui of Indies Zero)
37. N/A
38. Limited Edition Zelda 3DS (Nintendo)
39. Letter (Arino's wife Yuuko)
40. Portraits (Arino's daughters Shiika and Momone)

What were the bday gifts shown in the Kung Fu Heroes episode? Also, when was the 2nd message from Hamaguchui? Was the first messsage near midnight? Also, was I right in a previous post that AD Itou from the bday special the same AD Itou that is now AD this season.

Jest3
Apr 27, 2010
Thank you so much. I've been hoping for this episode!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

zari-gani posted:

Do I even need to guess how she ended the message? :v:

Silentman0 posted:

"Here's a fax from Nina Matsumoto." "Oh, it's written in Japanese!" "I think she has Japanese ancestors or something."

"SANK YOU NINA"

Oh and Inoko MAX not having a "1" for the countdown had me cracking up. That man is amazing :3:

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 16, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If you spot a wild Arino please report it to the authorities immediately.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I don't see how they "danced around" the issue of how Nina was watching the show. They just didn't mention it at all, and the "I guess she has Japanese ancestors" was a comment about the Japanese writing and her Japanese name.

Did they ask "how was she watching the show?" out loud at any point? I can't recall.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Tewratomeh posted:

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I don't see how they "danced around" the issue of how Nina was watching the show. They just didn't mention it at all, and the "I guess she has Japanese ancestors" was a comment about the Japanese writing and her Japanese name.

Did they ask "how was she watching the show?" out loud at any point? I can't recall.

Watch the fax sequence around 18:20 and watch Kibe's eyes dart around while he's searching for a suitable answer.

That is amazing work, Random.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 16, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You're crazy and I love it. Looking at this map has reminded me of something. Does the team have good raws for the special where Arino goes to Okinawa for the far south travelogue? It was a segment in one of those year in review episodes they sometimes do and I'd love to see it translated one day.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Hooray my lovely Japanese worked! He just seems like such a genuinely nice guy, especially to his fans. :buddy:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

You're crazy and I love it. Looking at this map has reminded me of something. Does the team have good raws for the special where Arino goes to Okinawa for the far south travelogue? It was a segment in one of those year in review episodes they sometimes do and I'd love to see it translated one day.

Yes, we do. That's how I located all the places Arino visited on that trip (I got really lucky with the Crab House; it's in the middle of nowhere and I dropped a streetview right on top of it).

I've been working on that map for a few months and it still isn't done. I've just been filling in a few more at a time as I go.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Caitlin posted:

Hooray my lovely Japanese worked! He just seems like such a genuinely nice guy, especially to his fans. :buddy:

I think the reason I like the show so much is that you can tell he's just an honestly nice guy.

My world would be shattered if he was actually a dick.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Caitlin posted:

:3:

Also you guys are the greatest, thanks for so many episodes out of no where.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

RadicalWall posted:

I think the reason I like the show so much is that you can tell he's just an honestly nice guy.

My world would be shattered if he was actually a dick.

A haggard old man stands lonely in a corner at the offices of Fuji TV, dirty small cigarette held loosely between the tips of his index and thumb, as he thinks about how his life got to where it is. "All I wanted to do was get an easy paycheck doing stupid poo poo on tv, now I'm stuck playing crappy old games for fourteen hours straight.", he grumbles as he takes a long drag, sighing out loud at the end. "If the wife gives me anymore poo poo about coming home late, she's gonna one across the face let me tell you." he thinks to himself, his expression a dark grimace. He sighs and takes another drag, letting it sit long enough to feel the burn, before exhaling it out his nose. He then hangs his head, thinking about today's filming, before putting out his cigarette and reminding himself to score more heroin from the cameraman. He then heads out to the main room with a forced smile on his face and says "Greetings, chief here. The game I'll be challenging today is..."

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I watched the 40th birthday special. My thoughts:

1) Masahiro Sakurai has an incredibly deep voice for a 41-year-old man who looks like he's 11. Or just for the man who came up with Kirby.

2) Why does the show have a composer? All the music is licenced!

3) "How good is he at games? / A normal amount" might be the greatest tagline this show has ever had.

4) Inoko Max not having a number 1 sheet might be the comedy moment of 2012.

To think that it's only been a year since episodes first started getting translated on SA - there's so many episodes now that it feels like it's been a lot longer. Only a year ago we were stuck in the quagmire of TV-Nihon - who could have imagined where we'd be now? Thanks to the whole team, especially the crown princess of GCCX - Zari-Gani. But special thanks as well to Shin Yaguchi for getting the ball rolling in the first place!

Here's to another great year of Arino's Challenges!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
That was another great video you guys translated. I remember a few of the parts from watching it live, but went to bed like 10 minutes before they presented zari's awesome gift, so it's nice to see the other funny stuff as well as seeing Kacho Fighter translated.

It's also neat to see Arino's reactions to realizing that he has international fans. I bet that he never dreamt of being known outside of Japan.

I know I've said this everytime a new episode is translated, but thank you guys for your awesome work. :)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Silentman0 posted:

"Here's a fax from Nina Sakamoto." "Oh, it's written in Japanese!" "I think she has Japanese ancestors or something."

No, no, it's Matsumoto... You know, like this guy:

Yeah, it's taken me way longer than it should have to finish the timing and typesetting on this, but I'm almost done and I mean it this time. If I don't have it finished by the end of this weekend, I will submit to whatever manner of batsu game is deemed appropriate.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

Comrade Fakename posted:

4) Inoko Max not having a number 1 sheet might be the comedy moment of 2012.

I'm not even sure how that happened, whether he actually failed to pick up the sheet, somehow forgot to make one, actually had it as a scripted event, or had someone steal it for impending comedy. It almost seemed too perfect... but it was still perfect and I laughed like a madman.

And once again, thanks for even more episodes to the team.... Three in a row... It's like my birthday and Christmas together!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

If I don't have it finished by the end of this weekend, I will submit to whatever manner of batsu game is deemed appropriate.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes I almost want to get some friends together and do our own low budget batsu game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Vlaphor posted:

He then hangs his head, thinking about today's filming, before putting out his cigarette and reminding himself to score more heroin from the cameraman.

Perish the thought! I'm sure Abe is a gentleman, through and through. People who can cook that well don't deal drugs.