Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

FrozenVent posted:

Wouldn't that be High Expansion foam, or whatever that's called? I remember AFFF as that filmy, stinky stuff.

Could be? I just remember my fire suppression days checking out those setups in hangars at PDX, and them being marked clearly with AFFF.

Also one of my buddies does construction contracting for the military in Anchorage and told me about the AFFF systems at Galena, so I assumed those systems were relatively universal in the USAF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Groda posted:

This is absolutely false.

Plutonium from reprocessing light-water reactor fuel (Japan's reactors) is far too isotopically impure (Pu-241 develops over time and causes premature criticality) to be used in weapons. Reprocessing specially burned uranium-238 targets in reactors that can be fueled online is the way to make plutonium.

The issue's not Pu241, it's Pu240, which undergoes spontaneous fission and releases neutrons, which means predetonation if you try to build a light gun-type weapon out of plutonium.

The reaction that turns U238 into Pu239 at Hanford is exactly the same as the reaction that turns U238 into Pu239 in a civilian power plant. The difference is that the U238 targets in a reactor specifically intended for that transmutation are irradiated for a shorter period of time, so not as much of the Pu240 side-product accumulates. It would not be *efficient* for the Japanese to modify the fuel cycle of a PWR or BWR so that they're inserting new fuel elements and removing old ones each month, but it could produce plutonium with sufficiently low amounts of Pu241 to be used in a bomb.

quote:

Japan on the other hand has tons of uranium enrichment capacity, so why would it need plutonium?

Also, that.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

SyHopeful posted:

Could be? I just remember my fire suppression days checking out those setups in hangars at PDX, and them being marked clearly with AFFF.

Also one of my buddies does construction contracting for the military in Anchorage and told me about the AFFF systems at Galena, so I assumed those systems were relatively universal in the USAF.

Pretty sure that the ones in the larger hangars (at least for the military) use high expansion foam, which is different than AFFF. It would make sense that Galena would have AFFF though since that's just an alert facility so (I would assume) the facilities there are just relatively small alert cells vs. a large hangar, where the need to rapidly fill a large space isn't really a requirement since the cells are so small.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Dumb question, what happens to any people still in there? Breathing foam doesn't look fun, and it's not like this is a server room or something where you can fairly easily see that everyone is out before hitting the halon button.

Do you have to do a head count before hitting the fire suppression system?

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 15, 2012

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
When I did firefighting training, they told us you could easily breath in hi-ex foam. The instructor said they'd once filled the burn building with it and walked around for kicks.

I never tried, and I don't know if the military uses the same stuff, so who knows.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
I have a historical Cold War question -

France's withdrawal from the unified NATO command - WTF?

1) Why did they leave? According to Wikipedia, it was a combination of DeGaulle being mad that NATO wouldn't help him oppress the Algerians and retarded French nationalism :france: Was there something else at work or was it mostly DeGaulle being a butthurt drama queen?

2) How were things expected to work in a time of war? Again, according to the Wiki, the French army withdrew to France and was basically a theatre-level reserve, but how would that have worked in practice?

Apparently there was "a series of secret accords between U.S. and French officials, the Lemnitzer-Ailleret Agreements . . ." but I haven't found detail as to how they were to work. One imagines that relying on a reserve that would have to integrate itself by the seat of its pantalons rouge (and might give you all the finger instead) would be less than ideal.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

1) Why did they leave? According to Wikipedia, it was a combination of DeGaulle being mad that NATO wouldn't help him oppress the Algerians and retarded French nationalism :france: Was there something else at work or was it mostly DeGaulle being a butthurt drama queen?

DeGaulle being a drama queen is part of it.

After World War II, French national pride was at an all time low. They were unhappy with their quickly declining international prestige and importance as their colonies disappeared and the United States became hugely influential in the 1st World. National pride was further dampened by their failure in Indochina and the Suez Canal Crisis* and the increasingly bloody and unpopular Algerian conflict. Their relative unimportance compared to the US or Soviet Union was highlighted and underscored throughout the 50s. Finally, the refusal by the United States to support or condone the war against the FLN in Algeria was probably one of the last straws.
Internationally; Rather than be seen as being fully in the American sphere, they chose to withdraw from NATO in an attempt to reinforce French independence and agency.
Nationally; it was an move by DeGaulle to gain support from certain voters, specifically the Army, who were active politically in a big way, and French Nationalist partys.

But yeah, saying the French were butthurt isn't too far off the mark in many respects.

* The Israelis were supposed to attack across the Sinai and then a joint British/French paratroop force was would jump in, ostensibly to ensure free passage of the canal. Afterwards, the Israeli army would advance on Cairo and overthrow Nasser. After the war, the British/French were supposed to administer the canal to ensure free passage of shipping. The Americans intervened, at the behest of the Soviet Union, and slapped the British and the French on the dicks for loving around in Egypt.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

stealie72 posted:

Dumb question, what happens to any people still in there? Breathing foam doesn't look fun, and it's not like this is a server room or something where you can fairly easily see that everyone is out before hitting the halon button.

Do you have to do a head count before hitting the fire suppression system?

FrozenVent posted:

When I did firefighting training, they told us you could easily breath in hi-ex foam. The instructor said they'd once filled the burn building with it and walked around for kicks.

I never tried, and I don't know if the military uses the same stuff, so who knows.

Pretty much that. It's not like you'd want to spend your whole life walking around in the stuff, but it's not like it prevents you from breathing to the point of suffocation if you're caught in it. You can easily make your way out if it goes off. Which brings up another good point, a lot of these systems will be automatic so they go off at the first sign of a fire, so you wouldn't be able to do a "head count" or anything because you aren't going to be setting off the system, it's going to go off automatically.

Veins McGee posted:

who were active politically in a big way

:lol:, understatement of the day right there. And yeah, basically what he said. As far as how they would integrate, remember that France still had troops stationed in Germany for the duration of the Cold War. Also remember that it's not like NATO forces would be this melting pot of soldiers at the platoon level or whatever, the bulk of the coordination between nations was at the division level and higher...which is what the Lemnitzer-Aillert Agreements laid out in detail. French forces continued to exercise with NATO forces throughout the Cold War and would have integrated into the military structure just like any other NATO country's forces.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

iyaayas01 posted:

:lol:, understatement of the day right there. And yeah, basically what he said. As far as how they would integrate, remember that France still had troops stationed in Germany for the duration of the Cold War. Also remember that it's not like NATO forces would be this melting pot of soldiers at the platoon level or whatever, the bulk of the coordination between nations was at the division level and higher...which is what the Lemnitzer-Aillert Agreements laid out in detail. French forces continued to exercise with NATO forces throughout the Cold War and would have integrated into the military structure just like any other NATO country's forces.

France in the 50s and 60s was probably a pretty crazy place to be. The army, and specifically the paratroopers, seemed to have been constantly planning a coup(would have been amusing since a fair amount of the FFL were former Wehrmacht).

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Wasn't there also some idiotic idea to merge France into the UK that England basically laughed at?

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

iyaayas01 posted:

As far as how they would integrate, remember that France still had troops stationed in Germany for the duration of the Cold War. [...] the bulk of the coordination between nations was at the division level and higher...which is what the Lemnitzer-Aillert Agreements laid out in detail. French forces continued to exercise with NATO forces throughout the Cold War and would have integrated into the military structure just like any other NATO country's forces.

So, let me get this straight - the French withdrew from NATO command, but still had troops near or on the front line in Germany, conducted joint exercises with NATO, and had plans to closely coordinate with/subordinate command of their forces to NATO in the event of a war . . .

How is this different in practical terms from staying in the NATO command structure? :psyduck: You'd think the French had an unusually strong attachment to symbolic gestures or something . . .

Veins McGee posted:

France in the 50s and 60s was probably a pretty crazy place to be. The army, and specifically the paratroopers, seemed to have been constantly planning a coup(would have been amusing since a fair amount of the FFL were former Wehrmacht).

One of my history professors explained it best. Paraphrasing from memory:
The history of France since the Revolution is the story of swinging between binary opposites, from Liberalism, to Conservatism, from Empire to Republic. There is no middle ground. France is schizophrenic.

The Army, in particular, has had a weird disconnect and separate tradition from civilian France, particularly urban Paris. Witness the weird spectacle of portions of the French military collaborating by serving under the Vichy regime, going so far as to fight the Allies in North Africa, the Eastern Front, West Africa, Madagascar, and other places.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

The Army, in particular, has had a weird disconnect and separate tradition from civilian France, particularly urban Paris. Witness the weird spectacle of portions of the French military collaborating by serving under the Vichy regime, going so far as to fight the Allies in North Africa, the Eastern Front, West Africa, Madagascar, and other places.

This was less "weird spectacle" and more "officers who have sworn to obey the orders of their civilian leadership actually doing so." The Vichy issue is way, way more complex than just being a puppet state of Hitler's. The far more bizarre thing is all the officers who essentially deserted after they were ordered to stand down and insisted on continuing to fight a lost war. Given that they were on the right side of history with that one they're considered heroes today, but in any other situation they would have been seen as dangerous anti-government radicals. The fact that de Gaulle was put back into power in 1958 by a military coup doesn't help with this assessment either.

Really the only way to understand french political history is to understand the French revolution. It, and the subsequent decades of turmoil it spawned, created a whole bunch of social and political tensions which have been reverberating through French history to this day.

Calling the country 'schizophrenic' is bit much, though.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If anyone is schizo, it's the US. While we were isolationist we were practicing Manifest Destiny and starting an empire, and after WWII when we were the bastion of democracy we installed dictators throughout the world.

ruebennase
Oct 18, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

This was less "weird spectacle" and more "officers who have sworn to obey the orders of their civilian leadership actually doing so." The Vichy issue is way, way more complex than just being a puppet state of Hitler's. The far more bizarre thing is all the officers who essentially deserted after they were ordered to stand down and insisted on continuing to fight a lost war. Given that they were on the right side of history with that one they're considered heroes today, but in any other situation they would have been seen as dangerous anti-government radicals. The fact that de Gaulle was put back into power in 1958 by a military coup doesn't help with this assessment either.

Really the only way to understand french political history is to understand the French revolution. It, and the subsequent decades of turmoil it spawned, created a whole bunch of social and political tensions which have been reverberating through French history to this day.

Calling the country 'schizophrenic' is bit much, though.

That reminds me: About 10 years ago I was working as a cameraman and we were interviewing a local (German) police chief about crowd control preparations for some big protest thing.

And since we were shooting for arte, a tv station that's some sort of German/French cooperation, he brought up differences in French and German crowd control doctrine.

He said that thanks to the French Revolution, the French police had a lot of respect for civil disobedience and protest and would act accordingly: German doctrine at the time was to basically try to encircle and contain everything while picking out and detaining ring leaders, but the French would always try and leave some escape routes, especially for leaders.

Now that was quite a long time ago, so things might have changed by now (assuming it was true in the first place), but still. The "schizophrenic" thing made me think of this interview.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

The eyes can mislead, a smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth.
Nations only look after their own interests and are simultaneously composed of a massive amount of groups and individuals with wildly differing agendas and ideologies. Its in their natures to be Schizophrenic.

My native Sweden was even worse than France during the Cold War. On the one hand, we were officially staunchly neutral and domestically went by the tune of "it takes two to tango", referring to NATO and the Warzaw Pact as equally belligerent. On the other hand, everyone knowing anything about Swedish defence knew that it all hinged on NATO assisting in the case of a Soviet invasion, and after the breakup of USSR secret documents were declassified that revealed that Sweden had in fact essentially been a part of NATO all along, both sharing military intelligence and even trading the right to buy US military equipment in exchange for a pledge to participate in warfare against the Pact in the case of war, ever since the 50s.

It's not much better today. On the one hand, Sweden prides itself on being active in diplomacy to preserve peace and in having stayed out of war for 200 years - most Swedes (and many foreigners) basically consider the country as pacifist. On the other hand, Sweden is the world leading weapons exporter on a per capita basis.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sweden: willing to fight to the last Finn :v:

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

And don't you forget it :sweden: :golfclap: :fuckoff: :ussr:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

You're getting quoted.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Phanatic posted:

The issue's not Pu241, it's Pu240, which undergoes spontaneous fission and releases neutrons, which means predetonation if you try to build a light gun-type weapon out of plutonium.

Absolutely correct--typo. We call it "double capture."

Phanatic posted:

The reaction that turns U238 into Pu239 at Hanford is exactly the same as the reaction that turns U238 into Pu239 in a civilian power plant. The difference is that the U238 targets in a reactor specifically intended for that transmutation are irradiated for a shorter period of time, so not as much of the Pu240 side-product accumulates. It would not be *efficient* for the Japanese to modify the fuel cycle of a PWR or BWR so that they're inserting new fuel elements and removing old ones each month, but it could produce plutonium with sufficiently low amounts of Pu241 to be used in a bomb.

This goes beyond not efficient. The fuel cycles would be much shorter--on the order of days--and would constitute a naked ambition to develop nuclear weapons. In which case, it would be much easier to go develop centrifuges, gas diffusion facilities, or South African uranium whistles just as publicly.

I could grind coffee with my Volvo's back wheels, but it would be insanely impractical, my neighbors would complain, and everybody would wonder why I didn't just get a Braun.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Groda posted:

You're getting quoted.

Wish I could claim this one, but it was shamelessly stolen from some other goon who was talking about Swedish defense policy either in this thread or another one.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Wish I could claim this one, but it was shamelessly stolen from some other goon who was talking about Swedish defense policy either in this thread or another one.

For a second I was wondering if it could have been me (I'm certainly hard at work typecasting myself as the Swegoon) but it was probably this guy.

But yeah, it's definitely a thing. Googled the Swedish version some and apparently some people (Finns) are claiming it actually has a long history too - dating back to the war of 1802, where Sweden did indeed fight Russia to the last Finn, with the war ending in Finland being conquered by Russia (and Sweden never getting involved in another war again)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

VikingSkull posted:

Wasn't there also some idiotic idea to merge France into the UK that England basically laughed at?

If you're talking about 1940, it was the British who proposed union, and the French (at least Petain and Co.) who laughed at the idea.

e: link

joat mon fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 15, 2012

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Nah, it was in the 1950's.

Here's a BBC article on it.

loving Suez crisis.

daskrolator
Sep 11, 2001

sup.

VikingSkull posted:

If anyone is schizo, it's the US. While we were isolationist we were practicing Manifest Destiny and starting an empire, and after WWII when we were the bastion of democracy we installed dictators throughout the world.

John Lewis Gaddis wrote a book about the first point you bring up, essentially arguing that the US has always been expanding their influence (or empire) and the only difference between the 1920s and the 1820s was scope, such as expanding influence over the North American Continent vs expanding influence over the western hemisphere.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So here's a neat relic of the cold war I didn't know about : Apollo 15 left a grim Moonmorial to everyone killed in the pursuit of spaceflight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallen_Astronaut

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

The Proc posted:

So here's a neat relic of the cold war I didn't know about : Apollo 15 left a grim Moonmorial to everyone killed in the pursuit of spaceflight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallen_Astronaut
Why is Yuri Gagarin on that list? And others killed in plane or car crashes unrelated to spaceflight?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
So since the DPRK thread is gone, and North Korea still seems stuck in the Cold War, I'll ask this here: What's the deal with DPRK? I know that North Korean leadership is often portrayed as batshit crazy, but I doubt that one gets to be - and stays - leader of any country for long unless one is very intelligent.

What is North Korea after when it engages in its occasional saber-rattling? Is this its way of getting material aid from the West?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Basically they are the best extortionists on the planet. They bluff some threats, we send them grain, things cool down for half a decade. It lets them focus what little money they have on what passes for a military.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

It let's them focus what little money they have on living the life of reilly. The top of the DRPK have plenty salted away in overseas accounts, kids at top european boarding schools and so on.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

So, let me get this straight - the French withdrew from NATO command, but still had troops near or on the front line in Germany, conducted joint exercises with NATO, and had plans to closely coordinate with/subordinate command of their forces to NATO in the event of a war . . .

How is this different in practical terms from staying in the NATO command structure? :psyduck: You'd think the French had an unusually strong attachment to symbolic gestures or something . . .

Eh, it's a bit more than a symbolic gesture...a good chunk of what NATO did/does is political in nature (some wags would argue that ALL of what NATO does is political in nature, and they really wouldn't be wrong), and by withdrawing from the command structure they stepped outside that. I mean, you could argue that anything political is "symbolic" compared to cold military force, but I think there's a difference between "withdrew from a command structure for over 40 years and thereby significantly affected the political relationships between governments in Europe" and "took a dump on SACEUR's lawn." Both are arguably "symbolic," but one has quite a bit more concrete impact than the other.

VikingSkull posted:

Basically they are the best extortionists on the planet. They bluff some threats, we send them grain, things cool down for half a decade. It lets them focus what little money they have on what passes for a military.

Basically this. The country is roughly equivalent to what would happen if you gave a country to a bunch of gangsters.

In other news, the CNO explicitly came out the other day in support of the AF's Long Range Strike Bomber.

Dogs and cats, living together, mass hysteria!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Besides, the worst kept secret about NATO is that the European forces were just a speedbump that would hopefully group up enough tanks in one spot to hit with a tactical nuke. Both sides knew that ground forces were a formality. Being in NATO really didn't matter to that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

grover posted:

Why is Yuri Gagarin on that list? And others killed in plane or car crashes unrelated to spaceflight?

It's a list of people killed while involved with spaceflight, whether or not they died in space or in training or other ways, so you got your name on there if you died while flying in space, flying your t-38, or just flying down the road in your car.

If I remember right there was a big issue with that memorial because they tried selling copies of the figurines after the fact too.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
NATO also formally kept its members from snapping at each others throats for the most part, yielding a 60+ year pax that's fairly unheard of in European history and (for better or worse) trailing into the European Union. It certainly helped keep the rest of Europe convinced that Germany was now housebroken without the need for crippling sanctions. It did have other purposes than just being the bone in the Bear's throat.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Normal negotiation strategy:

Ask for best-case offer A
Get back lowball offer C
Haggle your way to acceptable offer B

North Korea negotiation strategy:

Act completely crazy and bugfuck, demanding A, X, Rho, Eszett and (clicknoise), randomly. Then break off negotiations entirely. Threatening to scour the world with fire is optional, but always entertaining.

Repeat until everyone else is exhausted dealing with you and you being crazy bugfuck is the new normal.

Suddenly act reasonable and ask for A.

Watch as everyone scrambles to give you A before you turn all crazy again.

Sit back and enjoy your Hennessy.

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 16, 2012

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Snowdens Secret posted:

NATO also formally kept its members from snapping at each others throats for the most part, yielding a 60+ year pax that's fairly unheard of in European history and (for better or worse) trailing into the European Union. It certainly helped keep the rest of Europe convinced that Germany was now housebroken without the need for crippling sanctions. It did have other purposes than just being the bone in the Bear's throat.

Keep the Americans in, the Germans down, and the Russians out.

Neophyte posted:

That reminds me, have we heard what the Outstanding Leader prefers to drink?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

iyaayas01 posted:

Keep the Americans in, the Germans down, and the Russians out.

Came here to post this. gently caress.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

iyaayas01 posted:

That reminds me, have we heard what the Outstanding Leader prefers to drink?

Clearly Mountain Dew Code Red.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Didn't see it, so I hope I'm not doubleposting, but the F-22 is grounded until backup oxygen systems can be installed.

Obviously, I don't know poo poo about poo poo, but that's not exactly the same as fixing the primary system. Are F-22s in such need that they can't be grounded until they put an O2 system in them that works?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...ry.html?hpid=z9

Washington Post posted:

Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta ordered the Air Force Tuesday to curtail flights of its F-22 Raptor fighter jet and accelerate the installation of backup oxygen generators in response to pilot complaints of wooziness and fainting spells in the cockpit.

Panetta’s intervention was spurred by the public refusal of some F-22 pilots to fly the aircraft despite the insistence of Air Force leaders that the radar-evading plane is safe. Some members of Congress have also expressed concerns that the Air Force has failed to take warnings from its pilots seriously enough.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Neophyte posted:

Normal negotiation strategy:

Ask for best-case offer A
Get back lowball offer C
Haggle your way to acceptable offer B

North Korea negotiation strategy:

Act completely crazy and bugfuck, demanding A, X, Rho, Eszett and (clicknoise), randomly. Then break off negotiations entirely. Threatening to scour the world with fire is optional, but always entertaining.

Repeat until everyone else is exhausted dealing with you and you being crazy bugfuck is the new normal.

Suddenly act reasonable and ask for A.

Watch as everyone scrambles to give you A before you turn all crazy again.

Ah, so the nation is not *actually* schizophrenic, it just appears to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

stealie72 posted:

Didn't see it, so I hope I'm not doubleposting, but the F-22 is grounded until backup oxygen systems can be installed.

Obviously, I don't know poo poo about poo poo, but that's not exactly the same as fixing the primary system. Are F-22s in such need that they can't be grounded until they put an O2 system in them that works?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...ry.html?hpid=z9

When the ground crews start getting dizzy around your parked gold-brick aircraft you got issues.

Issues that obviously require lots of money to fix. Who cares if those things actually fly? They practically print money for Lockheed.