Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Can I ask where a certain break came from? I'm dying to get this for a track I'm working on. DJ Spooky uses a certain break (or more than one) on his remix of From Whom The Bell Tolls from the Spawn soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0IJderpZVg&t=52s

It should start at the part I'm talking about. I know I've heard it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Can I ask where a certain break came from? I'm dying to get this for a track I'm working on. DJ Spooky uses a certain break (or more than one) on his remix of From Whom The Bell Tolls from the Spawn soundtrack:

Sounds like the Amen Break just chopped to poo poo and back, I do it all the time. Probably filtered a bit too.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
There's a few things layered and chopped up there, I feel like I hear some funky drummer in it as well but I could be wrong.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I was leaning toward funky drummer myself, but it's so processed, it's hard to tell.

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

Definitely an amen

skrath
Nov 14, 2000
Horsum venit vir qui fert locustas!

cubicle gangster posted:

it's awesome. i'd like to hear a bit more done with that stabby synth though, it's a little soft and repetitive. the production, groove and general energy of it is spot on though.

Thanks very much for the feedback! You're right, the synth probably needs some more delay and needs to be a bit more interesting. I'll make some changes.

hypersleep posted:

I'm just a hobbyist who's too much of a pussy to post his stuff online, but I really like your stuff. It's not available on iTunes, is it? Just Beatport?

Hit me up on PM and I can send you some stuff :)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

1024x768 posted:

Does this seem like a good idea or am I way off base?

those are live controllers - the sort of thing you buy when you're breaking your tracks down into sections to trigger live and re-edit, i cant really imagine producing anything with one. They'd be nice, but they wont do anything you couldnt do otherwise. get a maschine or a keyboard.

nice one lump shaker :)

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

killhamster posted:

Sounds like the Amen Break just chopped to poo poo and back, I do it all the time. Probably filtered a bit too.

seiken posted:

There's a few things layered and chopped up there, I feel like I hear some funky drummer in it as well but I could be wrong.

I'm still really confused about this, but I think you guys are right about funky drummer and amen, but I also think I hear Soul Pride by James Brown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdeiYALFVHY#t=3m21s

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Something I hear new producers mess up all the time, and I was really bad about this myself, is falling into the trap of thinking that pulling the filter all the way off a synth patch is a good strategy for sound design. The same thing goes for EQs in mixing. Sure, that high frequency information is going to make the sound more "exciting", but it's going to both eat up room in the mix and eventually become fatiguing/abrasive to the listener. I think the other more experienced people on here will agree with me when I say that it's important to judiciously use both lowpass and highpass filters on basically everything to keep the mix tight.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Crossposting since I happened to upload these for the drum & bass thread in NMD: http://soundcloud.com/grandfunk/sets/dnb-wips/s-ZbARo

I sort of just recently got good enough to make DnB that isn't awful but these are all still WIP sketches I intend to go back to and polish/redo a whole lot (haven't had time to for like half a year cause of school). They all have various things I intend to change, and the EQ/mastering is dodgy throughout. Criticism welcome.

edit: also I've noticed that when soundcloud transcodes the wavs I upload to whatever format they use it has a tendency to distort transients in this weird way where they kinda get split a little and sound stuttery, does anyone know if there's a way to avoid that?

seiken fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 6, 2012

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Vector 7 posted:

Something I hear new producers mess up all the time....

doing this made such a loving huge difference to the clarity and sound of my tracks. careful eq'ing and cutting frequencies cannot be emphasized enough.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

sounds like a pitched up amen to me

and also, its a fuckin terrible remix.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Yeah I was wondering about that. Terribad. I love some of DJ spooky's stuff, too.

boxorocks
May 13, 2007

So I did more work than I was expecting and more or less finished this track. First of hopefully many a love affair with my sampler as I learn _her_ ins-and-outs (yeah, that's right, it's a she :buddy:)

http://soundcloud.com/hostismusic/hostis-running-from-the

Enjoy!

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
I'm still trying to get the hang of D&B, I feel like this one turned out alright compared to some of my last excursions into the genre:

Slingshot.mp3

As always, thanks for listening and advice is welcome!

boxorocks
May 13, 2007

killhamster posted:

I'm still trying to get the hang of D&B, I feel like this one turned out alright compared to some of my last excursions into the genre:

Slingshot.mp3

As always, thanks for listening and advice is welcome!

I like it. My drums are far from perfect but I feel the drums could probably do with standing a little further out in the mixdown especially the kick as it got really lost in there somewhere. You can try a couple things for this, like a notch filter on the clashing sound at the peak of the drum kick although it'll leave a hole when it isn't there. Alternatively do a small bit of sidechaining or a combination of both.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
Anybody have any recommendations for a decent hardware drum machine?

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

boxorocks posted:

I like it. My drums are far from perfect but I feel the drums could probably do with standing a little further out in the mixdown especially the kick as it got really lost in there somewhere. You can try a couple things for this, like a notch filter on the clashing sound at the peak of the drum kick although it'll leave a hole when it isn't there. Alternatively do a small bit of sidechaining or a combination of both.

Good call. I completely glossed over that while I was fiddling with all the EQ and compression. I need more sleep, I think.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

^ you might also want to try some parallel compression if you're not already doing that.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I took a little video while playing with my Launchpad and nanokontrol, working out a DnB remix of that Gotye song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKMiYGTDgao

These things are such a great way to waste an afternoon.

I haven't done anything in the way of mastering for the track, and I don't know if I'll bother.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 12, 2012

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Anyone have any advice on an UPS/power conditioner?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Furnok Dorn posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for a decent hardware drum machine?

if you've got a laptop around, I dont think theres anything better than a maschine for the price. for similar features pure hardware wise you're looking at spending a lot more.

I've been playing with synths a bit. wanted to make something oppressively dark, all my music lately has been far too upbeat.
http://soundcloud.com/downpour/downpour-darkwip
hows it sit?

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 12, 2012

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD

cubicle gangster posted:

if you've got a laptop around, I dont think theres anything better than a maschine for the price. for similar features pure hardware wise you're looking at spending a lot more.

I've been playing with synths a bit. wanted to make something oppressively dark, all my music lately has been far too upbeat.
http://soundcloud.com/downpour/downpour-darkwip
hows it sit?

Hmm, is there much difference between the maschine and the maschine mikro? I am new at this so hesitant to drop 7 hundo on the full one if its only got a few more features

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
the maschine mikro is the software and drum pad, but all controlling has to be done through a laptop. The best thing about the main one is leaving my laptop up on a desk and getting on the sofa with headphones on - you can control everything from the hardware itself. you can also plug a midi keyboard straight into it.

It's not a huge difference to be honest, I think they just wanted to bring out a budget model but couldn't justify cutting any major features.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
So, Ableton's Analog synth has a function called Unison. I don't know what it does but I sure like the way it makes a square wave sound at 90.00 (whatever that means) - kind of spooky/Silent Hill-y if that makes any sense at all. Anyway, I don't like Analog so much because of the lack of options and I'd like to create a similar effect in Massive but there's no such feature.

What is Unison doing and how would another synth mimic it?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Its just stacking oscillators. Loads of other synths have that feature.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Anal Surgery posted:

So, Ableton's Analog synth has a function called Unison. I don't know what it does but I sure like the way it makes a square wave sound at 90.00 (whatever that means) - kind of spooky/Silent Hill-y if that makes any sense at all. Anyway, I don't like Analog so much because of the lack of options and I'd like to create a similar effect in Massive but there's no such feature.

What is Unison doing and how would another synth mimic it?

unison just adds more voices, the number is probably how much they're detuned

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Hah wow, that simple huh? I thought there'd be more to it. I wonder why it sounds so different from having like 3 or 4 oscillators going on Operator or Massive.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

This is my first attempt at actually mastering something from scratch rather than starting with an ozone preset and tweaking it, so if anyone wants to let me know how it sounds that'd be dope

http://soundcloud.com/mathbonus/steam-engine

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Anal Surgery posted:

Hah wow, that simple huh? I thought there'd be more to it. I wonder why it sounds so different from having like 3 or 4 oscillators going on Operator or Massive.
Do you mean just stacking oscillators? Because Massive has its own unison controls.

Here's the Massive Manual in pdf form, you can search it for the word unison. It's what I did, because I don't have Massive.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

slardel posted:

unison just adds more voices, the number is probably how much they're detuned

theres a little boxe were you can pick how many voices you want to stack and how much to detune them, i dont think detune impacts how many voices are used.

like you can pick monophonic with 8 voices, or duophonic with 4 a piece or something like that.

but, the problem is, analog sounds HORRIBLE and thin and the filters are awful.

you can use operator just like a 1 voice analog, and it sounds MUCH MUCH better and fuller and the filters slightly resemble a real vcf, and analogs filters sound like something off an early 2000s VA synth.

edit: actually you can use operator as up to 4 voices as long you are change the order of operators so they are ordered right to left and not up and down.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Could anyone recommend an inexpensive mastering service?

The company that makes the main piece of software I use has offered to interview/promote me on their blog, but the situation has made me realize I should probably look into getting some tracks mastered. I don't have a lot of money to spend on it at the moment, unfortunately.

I make dark minimal techno, if it makes any difference.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Peep hogscraper's thread right next to this one, he does a good job

breaks
May 12, 2001

Depending on your definition of inexpensive, manmademastering is 60 euros per track. Glowcast is 30 pounds. Both of those places do mastering for a lot of techno.

Jives
May 1, 2011
has anyone else entered the ableton beat the clock competition that's going on? You basically have 24hours to make a track with a bunch of clips they provide.

http://contest.ableton.com/tracks/491 this is my entrance, I'd appreciate any criticism of it, and also votes if you like it.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I have no idea what I'm doing but I kind of like it.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

I think I'm getting the hang of this electro house thing finally :dance: (edit: now with better version uploaded)

What do you guys think? It's still WIP, so comments are welcome!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I have no idea what I'm doing but I kind of like it.

Instant Star Control 2 vibes.

Friction fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 20, 2012

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

So I made this:

http://hosting.dataintensive.org/audio/Oscillating%20Jak%20-%20Way%20Down%20%5Bremix%5D.mp3

Oscillating Jak is a cool little jazz singer from Australia, and I got hold of some vocals to play with. I guess my mix is dubstep, or glitchstep, or squidstep or something?

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 20, 2012

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
This is only a first draft, but is it working?

http://soundcloud.com/downpour/downpour-20maywip

Kinda heavy near-tribal techno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Friction posted:

I think I'm getting the hang of this electro house thing finally :dance: (edit: now with better version uploaded)

What do you guys think? It's still WIP, so comments are welcome!

Instant Star Control 2 vibes.

It sounds awesome (perhaps a bit too much going on at once?).
It's a bit fast for my taste, but it'd make a really fantastic soundtrack to some fast-paced game. (I only mean that well!)

• Locked thread