Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

falz posted:

I have an evo shift, the screen decided to become wacky and register random touches on its own over the last week. I've been in a super low humidity area when it happened (Vegas). Could this be the cause?

I ordered an off-contract GNex which is supposed to arrive Monday. I'll pay the $35 to get it repaired so I can sell it for $100 or whatever, but I have to do this before activating the new phone. Since this phone is no longer sold, they probably won't have it in stock to swap our. What's the likely replacement I'll get from sprint?

Wrong (unfortunately), sprint has a ton of stock on refurb Evo shifts, and with the exception of one weekend where the Design mysteriously was on a swap list they don't let you swap to anything else. Given how lovely the shift is this is extremely unfortunate, I dont know what to tell people beyond too bad.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yes, it's called a port out. They probably won't want to do it because it's more work than a port in but it's possible.

You just need your Sprint account number, phone number, and I think that's it (I may be missing something).

To port a number from one carrier to another you need to following:

The phone must still be active
Phone number
Old account number
Address
Social of old account (if applicable in prepaid)
Pass code (usually 4 or 6 digits)

Wherever you are switching to processes the request, so I put in these requests all day long or sprint.com puts in a request if you do it online, etc for all carriers. Switching out from sprint you would need at least the social, possibly the pin number.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Argh, Amazon Wireless canceled my order, saying their check for whether I was upgrade-eligible failed, even though it said I was fine at order time AND I had made sure that Sprint's site said my preorder for the Evo 4G LTE was already canceled before I tried to order it from Amazon. Looking at the main page again today, Sprint says I have an upgrade available. I've emailed Amazon to recreate my order as it was again, and hopefully that should fix it.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

brc64 posted:

So what's the latest on the Evo 3D ICS image? Is it still loving up people's phones, or is that fixed?
As long as you don't flash the VM firmware you should be fine. The ICS roms out there will still work okay without it. If you did flash it, the way to fix the VM firmware that was on XDA (basically wipe your data profile and flash 2.08 radios/stock rom then hands free activate/OTA update) worked for like 10 people including me, but everyone else was still stuck with VM banners/service.

Now that I managed to recover my original firmware and I'm back on Sprint, I don't think the VM stuff screwed up too much other than the banner and Sprint-only apps not working. The ICS rom I was using (The direct port by JoelZ, which was released the same night it leaked) didn't allow data roaming even with legitimate Sprint pri/prls. I'm using my old firmware (2.08 radios) with MeanROM's ICS version and it's working like a champ, all the bits work just fine and it data roams and all that. Should hold me over until next month when the 3D gets ICS officially.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 13, 2012

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
So uh, I needed to get off that VZW prl I'd been using last week because I was getting close to the soft cap. Went back to the current official prl, did a profile update/reboot, and got speed test results between 40-70 kbps. Which was un-loving-bearable.

So I installed the latest executive prl from the 5th, did a profile update, and rebooted my phone.

The tests in the 8-900s are on the tower by my apartment - where I've previously been lucky to get above 100 on the official prls - and the 2375 one is from the next tower down a few blocks.

I didn't think prls had anything to do with actual network speed, so what the heck is going on here? Everybody out of town for Mother's Day instead of clogging the towers? Not that I'm complaining; I'm about to try editing my own custom prl to give priority to that 2300kbps tower woo.

Edit: Must be a fluke, back to 34(!!)kbps on my home tower with a ping of over 1000.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 14, 2012

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there a way to disable to soft button lights on ICS?

Screen filter and my paid version of gentle alarm used to both do it until I upgraded to ICS for the evo 3d.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Duckman2008 posted:

Wrong (unfortunately), sprint has a ton of stock on refurb Evo shifts, and with the exception of one weekend where the Design mysteriously was on a swap list they don't let you swap to anything else. Given how lovely the shift is this is extremely unfortunate, I dont know what to tell people beyond too bad.
That's fine, I just want a funcitonal phone so I can sell it on Craigslist. I went in yesterday and ordered a phone swap, it's supposed to be here tomorrow.

My Galaxy Nexus just arrived today. Can I simply activate the Gnex and send Sprint my old phone back, or do I have to activate the replacement phone, send phone back, THEN activate Gnex?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Just got my new Nexus, this thing after the Hero is holyshitamazing. I love it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

falz posted:

That's fine, I just want a funcitonal phone so I can sell it on Craigslist. I went in yesterday and ordered a phone swap, it's supposed to be here tomorrow.

My Galaxy Nexus just arrived today. Can I simply activate the Gnex and send Sprint my old phone back, or do I have to activate the replacement phone, send phone back, THEN activate Gnex?

The exchange was for your defective shift, so nothing to do with your shift. Just activate the nexus when you get it and send the defective shift back as soon as you can.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
My Galaxy Nexus and my girlfriend's Nexus S 4G have been repeatedly failing to send MMS both to each other and to other numbers for the past few days. This has persisted across reboots, PRL and Profile updates and clearing app data (stock Messaging app for both of us), at least in my case. We don't actually get a "message failed" error or anything, MMS(es?) just sit in the queue with "sending" and never complete. SMS send and receive just fine.

Is there a quick fix for this type of problem or should I be calling Sprint?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Duckman2008 posted:

The exchange was for your defective shift, so nothing to do with your shift. Just activate the nexus when you get it and send the defective shift back as soon as you can.
Thanks. I guess logic made me think that they would be watching the replacement phone's ESN for activation in case it gets lost in the mail.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Is the iPhone 4s on sprint supposed to be slow as balls data transferring wise? I swear I've never gotten anything higher than 150kb/s with full bars

AJzer
Nov 28, 2004
Tally Ho!

ZeroAX posted:

Edit: Holy crap the employee number is awesome. I didn't even have wait to speak to a human and he was actually knowledgeable!

I know, right? Of all the bonus points of SERO, this is by far the best one. I think I budgeted an hour and a half to set up my new phone, was done in 10 minutes.

ehonna_disco
Apr 26, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just got an Evo 4G swapped out because mine had a defective headphone jack. LTE version coming on Friday. It's nice to have a fresh Evo to sell.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

horchata posted:

Is the iPhone 4s on sprint supposed to be slow as balls data transferring wise? I swear I've never gotten anything higher than 150kb/s with full bars

I dot think its the iPhone itself, more of the tower and how congested it is. But yeah, it is slow. I'm lucky if I can get 8-900 kb/s and I live right down the road from a sprint tower, 150kb/s is about average.

Edit for what I normaly get, :argh: Atlanta!! :argh:

Hooray Dialysis fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 15, 2012

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Just cross posting from SA-Mart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483749

I'm selling my EVO 3D if anyone is interested.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Anybody interested, they are starting to pump out CM9 nightley builds for the Evo3d, wifi/bluetooth is already working and it sounds like they figured out the camera and wimax situation, so expect a 99% fully functional CM9 in just a few weeks. :v:

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I get nice 3G speeds when I'm at home (which is a welcome change from where I lived before here), but I can't say the same thing for pretty much everywhere else I go. I have to use the wifi at work because my phone can't decide between having 4 bars of Sprint service or 2 bars of roaming without moving... hoping Network Vision helps that since there are things I can't access while connected to the corporate wifi.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I know the Samsung Epic has had a bad reputation for good reasons for most of its life, but how is it today with latest updates, or with CM7 or 9 on it? Is it worthwhile to coast on until LTE is active in my city?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I know the Samsung Epic has had a bad reputation for good reasons for most of its life, but how is it today with latest updates, or with CM7 or 9 on it? Is it worthwhile to coast on until LTE is active in my city?

EB always says that his works very well and has a very active CM9 dev scene.

Fist
Sep 16, 2007

Just finally got my Google wallet credit. I did the pre order of the gnex.

E-Diddy
Mar 30, 2004
I'm both hot and bothered
My wife wants to buy her upgrade in order to get a Evo 4G LTE. I see the list of phone numbers in the first post, is there one of those she should call to speak to someone directly? She always ends up hanging up on the Indian dudes because they can't understand each other (she has a Southern accent).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

E-Diddy posted:

My wife wants to buy her upgrade in order to get a Evo 4G LTE. I see the list of phone numbers in the first post, is there one of those she should call to speak to someone directly? She always ends up hanging up on the Indian dudes because they can't understand each other (she has a Southern accent).

Call retentions.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

brc64 posted:

I get nice 3G speeds when I'm at home (which is a welcome change from where I lived before here), but I can't say the same thing for pretty much everywhere else I go. I have to use the wifi at work because my phone can't decide between having 4 bars of Sprint service or 2 bars of roaming without moving... hoping Network Vision helps that since there are things I can't access while connected to the corporate wifi.

I had to buy roam control to use the internet at one office. The sprint tower is so overloaded that its useless (constant web timeouts) so I force myself onto Verizon during the day.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ok, speaking of roam control and other network optimization:

Is roam control still on the market? I can't find it.

I'm running a galaxy nexus now, advice on rooting (so I can tether) and any upgraded PRLs I should be programming?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Looks like it was pulled from the Market and isn't free anymore (was it ever?). $3.99. http://www.roamctrl.com/download/

td4guy fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 15, 2012

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

There's an link in the main Android phone thread to an XDA thread where everyone is complaining about multitasking behavior on the HTC One X, and I'm worried that the same will be true in the Evo 4G LTE. :( Basically, they're saying things get swapped out of memory far too quickly, essentially defeating the purpose of multi-tasking or app switching.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646409

Come to think of it, it sounds about the same as my current Evo 4G, but I always thought it swapped things out aggressively becaues of a lack of RAM. I see the home screen reload so often, I've started ignoring it.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

SpelledBackwards posted:

There's an link in the main Android phone thread to an XDA thread where everyone is complaining about multitasking behavior on the HTC One X, and I'm worried that the same will be true in the Evo 4G LTE. :( Basically, they're saying things get swapped out of memory far too quickly, essentially defeating the purpose of multi-tasking or app switching.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646409

Come to think of it, it sounds about the same as my current Evo 4G, but I always thought it swapped things out aggressively becaues of a lack of RAM. I see the home screen reload so often, I've started ignoring it.

I actually kind of wonder if this isn't maybe just an issue with ICS + sense + carrier bloatware = memory management problem. I seem to recall reading a blog post from Sony about how much more memory intensive ICS is. I have an Evo 3D running stock gingerbread and I don't have these problems (whereas the Evo 4G with its 512 mb ram seems to have it) so I don't think it's just an issue with how sense manages memory. We may be reaching a point where a GB of ram just doesn't get the job done when you factor in skins and bloatware.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

Looks like it was pulled from the Market and isn't free anymore (was it ever?). $3.99. http://www.roamctrl.com/download/

it hasn't been free for a while if at all, I bought it a while back. Thanks, downloading now.

Pretty sure the galaxy nexus has some connection issues, main one being eerily similar to the Samsung moment. remember that, where the 3G internet would just lock up? I'm getting that....a lot. I'll be recovering my MSL soon and doing a data reset to try and fix it, but this is absolutely ridiculous if it's having that problem.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Duckman2008 posted:

it hasn't been free for a while if at all, I bought it a while back. Thanks, downloading now.

Pretty sure the galaxy nexus has some connection issues, main one being eerily similar to the Samsung moment. remember that, where the 3G internet would just lock up? I'm getting that....a lot. I'll be recovering my MSL soon and doing a data reset to try and fix it, but this is absolutely ridiculous if it's having that problem.

I have a buddy that had the same problem with a VZW G-Nex. He had it replaced and the replacement did not have the same issue.

Not sure if the Sprint version is prone to the same issue or not. But I can say that my 3G has not been locking up like that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Keeping with the SpeedTest bandwagon:

The two really slow ones are from my friend's place, about 2 miles from where I love. The fast ones are all from work. I forgot to get a test from home, but I'm always on wifi there, so I don't care as much.

The one at my friend's house is more typical of what I get around here. My office is right next to both a large hospital and decent sized university, so they probably have extra coverage. Especially since the hospital's on-call paging and cell-system uses Sprint.

(And unrelated, but why is there no easy way to get an image from Google Drive to imgur? I had to save it to my harddrive and upload it...even when I shared the image publicly on Drive, it never linked straight to the actual picture, just a webpage that runs a script to display it, so right clicking to instant upload to imgur won't work, and there's no URL to copy...I couldn't even get a selective screen-shot to work on the Drive page.)

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
HTC 3vo here. I upgraded to ics a few days ago and just realized I don't have a voicemail app nor do I get voicemail notifications anymore. What did I do wrong? I do not use google integration.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

HTC One X and EVO 4G LTE delayed at customs due to ITC exclusion order

quote:

The US availability of the HTC One X and HTC EVO 4G LTE has been delayed due to a standard U.S. Customs review of shipments that is required after an ITC exclusion order. We believe we are in compliance with the ruling and HTC is working closely with Customs to secure approval. The HTC One X and HTC EVO 4G LTE have been received enthusiastically by customers and we appreciate their patience as we work to get these products into their hands as soon as possible.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

sirbeefalot posted:

My Galaxy Nexus and my girlfriend's Nexus S 4G have been repeatedly failing to send MMS both to each other and to other numbers for the past few days. This has persisted across reboots, PRL and Profile updates and clearing app data (stock Messaging app for both of us), at least in my case. We don't actually get a "message failed" error or anything, MMS(es?) just sit in the queue with "sending" and never complete. SMS send and receive just fine.

Is there a quick fix for this type of problem or should I be calling Sprint?

Looks like it was the ROM (Codename Android) in my case. I skimmed through the thread for it on xda, and all mention of mms not working was a half dozen posts of "its broken," "no, it works." Flashed Apex instead, and MMS works again. My girlfriend's was apparently just a fluke as it works again.

Played dumb about rooting when I called Sprint, and walked through the troubleshooting even after I realized what was probably the problem. :v:

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

eerily similar to the Samsung moment

shut up shut up shut up you'll jinx it

I just traded my Moment for the Nexus. At least mine hasn't had any troubles yet.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Hdip posted:

HTC 3vo here. I upgraded to ics a few days ago and just realized I don't have a voicemail app nor do I get voicemail notifications anymore. What did I do wrong? I do not use google integration.

What rom? If it's aosp based you probably have to flash the gapps.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

McPhearson posted:

What rom? If it's aosp based you probably have to flash the gapps.

I suspect he'd notice if he went a few days without the Play Store, GMail, Maps and G+. I suppose he could have flashed the wrong GApps or it was corrupted somehow.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

From the ITC decision:

quote:

a patent held by the Cupertino company regarding the formatting of data (such as phone numbers) in otherwise unstructured documents (such as emails) allowing users to interact with them.

This is figuratively like patenting grammar, and literally complete bullshit. HTC has already complied with this order, and Apple is just being dicks because they can't handle competition.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
All these e3d problems are making me glad I'm going to wait for the official ICS release for the phone. It can't come soon enough :I

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I suspect he'd notice if he went a few days without the Play Store, GMail, Maps and G+. I suppose he could have flashed the wrong GApps or it was corrupted somehow.

The one leathal posted.I didn't flash the virgin mobile firmware. I've never played with this stuff before so I don't really understand all I'm dting. Voicemail is all I'm missing. I have play, maps,gmail and it appears everything else. Should I try redoing just the last loading the ics Rom step?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

From the ITC decision:

This is figuratively like patenting grammar, and literally complete bullshit. HTC has already complied with this order, and Apple is just being dicks because they can't handle competition.

Can HTC appeal or challenge this in any way since they have already complied?

Everyone I've talked to is speculating that they haven't complied with this one device, but that doesn't make sense as it's obviously made it into the US already. Wouldn't customs have stopped it before since I assume they checked before it entered the country the first time.