Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

sethsez posted:

Normally I'd agree, but it really has to sting to know that they paid $100 more for essentially 1 frame per second in most games. I can't think of a time when the flagship has been this close to the next card down.

8800 Ultra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007
Oh man, if Piledriver also disappoints there will be nothing left to save AMD from ruin. Basically now it's up to Nvidia on how much midrange smackdown they wanna give to AMD.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

It's not really fair to compare AMD CPUs to Intel CPUS, and include ATI and NVIDIA in this.

ATI is currently better for compute, and the 6xxx series were the bitcoin fags, card of choice.
Which is an odd reversal. GTX 670 is a kick in the nuts for anyone who bought a 680, but at the same time, 7970 price drops are a kick in the nuts to those who bought them at full price, but - early adoption, a price you pay.

ATI's cards are not actually BAD, in stark contrast to AMD CPUs at the high end, which don't compete in any metric. They are just a bit too large and expensive to make right now, which was because ATI took a gamble on compute, and NVIDIA did the opposite this time around.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

HalloKitty posted:

8800 Ultra
Also the 6800-series, since the GT/GTX situation was about the same (for the time).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Pet peeve: Stop saying ATI, there is no such company anymore. There is a company named AMD that makes CPUs, GPUs, and APUs. Using the ATI name sort of made a kind of sense a few years back when they still had separated operations and used the ATI brand, but that was quite awhile ago.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pet peeve: nVidia nvidia Nvidia nVIDIA NVIDIA

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The way it's meant to be played! *pounds escape key to no effect*

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Pet Peeve:

Nvidia GeForce GT 555M (GF106, 144 core @ 709 MHz, 128 bit GDDR5)
Nvidia GeForce GT 555M (GF106, 144 core @ 590 MHz, 192 bit DDR3)
Nvidia GeForce GT 555M (GF106, 144 core @ 590 MHz, 128 bit DDR3)
Nvidia GeForce GT 555M (GF108, 96 core @ 753 MHz, 128 bit GDDR5)
Nvidia GeForce GT 555M (GF116, 144 core @ 525 MHz, 128 bit DDR3)
Nvidia GeForce GT 635M (Whatever's left over from the unsold 555M stock)
Nvidia GeForce GT 635M (GF116, 144 @ "up to" 675 MHz, 128/192 bit DDR3/GDDR5 - 4 possible configurations plus an arbitrary clock speed)

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 8, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Oh it gets better:

nVidia Geforce GT 645 (GF114, 288 core @ 776Mhz, 192 bit GDDR5)
nVidia Geforce GT 640 (GK107, 384 core @ 950Mhz, 128 bit GDDR5)
nVidia Geforce GT 640 (GF116, 144 core @ 720Mhz, 192 bit DDR3)
nVidia Geforce GT 640 (GK107, 384 core @ 797Mhz, 128 bit DDR3)
nVidia Geforce GT 630 (GK107, 384 core @ 875Mhz, 128 bit DDR3)

The best part is that the Geforce GT 630 is faster than at least one of the GT 640 models.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Alereon posted:

Pet peeve: Stop saying ATI, there is no such company anymore. There is a company named AMD that makes CPUs, GPUs, and APUs. Using the ATI name sort of made a kind of sense a few years back when they still had separated operations and used the ATI brand, but that was quite awhile ago.

Alright, I know that, old habits, I guess

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Alereon posted:

Is this a moderator demand, or just something that bugs you? 'Cause I'm probably going to keep saying ATI, not to piss you off, but because I can't help but think of them as anything but ATI, or, charitably, AMD/ATI. Unless it's gonna get me banned. :unsmith:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I've got a persistent issue with my ATI AMD Radeon 5750, which is connected to my TV via the HDMI port. It refuses to acknowledge that the HDMI audio is present when I boot into Windows or when it comes out of sleep mode. The video is totally fine and unplugging / reconnecting the HDMI cable resolves the issue temporarily, I've also tried switching HDMI cables and ports with no luck. Drivers are all up to date as well. This only started happening about a week ago and I've had the same setup for about a year now.

What's really odd is that the TV will play the Windows startup noise at the login screen absolutely fine, then as soon as I'm logged in it claims it's not connected. Could this be an issue with the latest drivers?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Party Boat posted:

What's really odd is that the TV will play the Windows startup noise at the login screen absolutely fine, then as soon as I'm logged in it claims it's not connected. Could this be an issue with the latest drivers?

I'd try drivers first, to be safe - did you have any issues before updating to the most recent revision? Also, be sure to wipe the drivers, use Driver Sweeper/Driver Cleaner to get rid of remnants, then install drivers again and see what happens.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Alereon posted:

ATI NEVER FORGET :dukedog:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ozz81 posted:

I'd try drivers first, to be safe - did you have any issues before updating to the most recent revision? Also, be sure to wipe the drivers, use Driver Sweeper/Driver Cleaner to get rid of remnants, then install drivers again and see what happens.

That fixed it - I'd already reinstalled, but not using Driver Sweeper so something must have been hanging on in there. Thanks!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Party Boat posted:

That fixed it - I'd already reinstalled, but not using Driver Sweeper so something must have been hanging on in there. Thanks!

No prob :cheers: Driver Sweeper is one of the best things ever, saved me a ton of headaches when doing driver updates or reloads. Glad it cleared things up for you :)

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Party Boat posted:

I've got a persistent issue with my ATI AMD Radeon 5750

Actually, the Radeon HD 5000 series was the last to use "ATI" branding, so even though AMD produced it, it's proper name indeed included the name of the older company.

:goonsay:

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Agreed posted:

Is this a moderator demand, or just something that bugs you? 'Cause I'm probably going to keep saying ATI, not to piss you off, but because I can't help but think of them as anything but ATI, or, charitably, AMD/ATI. Unless it's gonna get me banned. :unsmith:
I've never used an AMD-made CPU, so I've always called the cards ATI parts even after the buy-out... Hard habit to break when you've been using them since the 7000/9000-series.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Agreed posted:

:redhammer:

Sorry, I couldn't resist :) It's just a thing that gets on my nerves for some reason, I'm certainly not going to punish anyone over it. I'm not even sure what bothers me about it, it just makes me read your post in the voice of a teenaged fanboy. Big red titles for people who admit to buying Bulldozers, on the other hand, are a thing that will happen!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So wait do I need to change my sign now? :saddowns:

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Geforce GTX670 NDA expired so reviews are out:

reference GTX670: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_670/
ASUS GeForce GTX 670 Direct CU II: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/

That is one good card, the ASUS one especially. ASUS one is on par with GTX680 performance with lower power consumption, less noise and is 80$ cheaper.

AMD is seriously hosed now unless they drop prices.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I don't think ATI AMD are hosed - a 7970 can be had for around the cost of a 670 on the site I'm looking at (£11 difference). That seems fine to me.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Well, I would think supply issues and being in the UK are probably part of that. It will be interesting to see what happens this summer, presumably they'll be able to keep them in stock.

I hope so anyway, because I'll probably have enough money to upgrade from my 580, which I know is stupid but dear god Kepler is sexy :ohdear:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Dogen posted:

Well, I would think supply issues and being in the UK are probably part of that. It will be interesting to see what happens this summer, presumably they'll be able to keep them in stock.

I hope so anyway, because I'll probably have enough money to upgrade from my 580, which I know is stupid but dear god Kepler is sexy :ohdear:

Time to get serious about a pact that if you upgrade to Kepler, you'll sell me the 580 and we can talk about maybe swapping power supplies.

LOOK MAN I NEED 60 FPS, you've seen what it does to me! You've seen!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Looking at those reviews, you'd have to be an idiot to get the reference design over that ASUS for 20 bucks more.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Agreed posted:

Time to get serious about a pact that if you upgrade to Kepler, you'll sell me the 580 and we can talk about maybe swapping power supplies.

LOOK MAN I NEED 60 FPS, you've seen what it does to me! You've seen!

What! I need that 1kW of power (despite the fact that the kill a watt I borrowed hits ~300 in Crysis 2). But yeah I'll keep that in mind, though it's not a blower design which I understand can be problematic when doing SLI (though I think if you have one blower and one axial it works out ok).

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

KillHour posted:

Looking at those reviews, you'd have to be an idiot to get the reference design over that ASUS for 20 bucks more.
I'll wait to see a second review confirming that performance, but it is kind of ridiculously good. That said, if other reviews do show the same performance, I wouldn't be suprised if ASUS decides to raise the price before it hits stores.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
I feel so dumb for buying a 7950 now. The GTX570 eats the 7950 in everything I play. It's disturbing.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Goon Matchmaker posted:

I feel so dumb for buying a 7950 now. The GTX570 eats the 7950 in everything I play. It's disturbing.

You're behind a generation there. I'm glad I don't have the urge to go for top of the line graphics performance. It's expensive, and there's stuff like this that happens when you're impatient.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Still sittin' pretty wit' dual sixty eight fitties. :smuggo:

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

It may be a good idea if someone industrious and diligent started a Nvidia discussion thread or a general video card chat. We can probably discuss Nvidia more efficiently outside of the AMD megathread.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Movax has been working on a GPU thread OP for a while now.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The GPU thread OP Movax and I are working on is at 16.7K words and it was supposed to be up a few days ago (since we still have at least 4K of non-critical content to go but the critical stuff is done).

Totally his fault :colbert:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Post it and add more later! There's too much to talk about right now with GPUs.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Doing it now! Factory Factory I PM'd but you should GChat me as well.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It's up and getting filled in now.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I've renamed this the "AMD CPU and Platform Discussion" thread.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Anandtech's AMD Trinity (A10M-4600M) mobile review is up.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

Tom's review is here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-4600m-trinity-piledriver,3202.html

I have to say, I'm impressed by the new Piledriver cores. AMD turned the total poo poo Bulldozer into a half-way decent CPU. It still doesn't match Sandy Bridge (and definitely not Ivy), but the Piledriver cores does get a lot closer and is certainly "good enough" for many people. And the GPU beats HD 4000 in almost every benchmark. Now if someone will put out a $600-700 14" 1600x900 IPS AMD Trinity ultrabook-style laptop I'd buy it for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's nice seeing AMD becoming more competitive again. Hopefully they bring out a really kickass CPU architecture again within the next few years :ohdear:

• Locked thread