Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Locked in just under 600 bucks of profit on JPM, man I love it when a bet goes my way. Rolling the dice on WFC to rebound now, if it hits where it was a couple days ago I'll be up roughly a grand in 48 hours of trading. Is day trading really this easy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Pudgygiant posted:

Locked in just under 600 bucks of profit on JPM, man I love it when a bet goes my way. Rolling the dice on WFC to rebound now, if it hits where it was a couple days ago I'll be up roughly a grand in 48 hours of trading. Is day trading really this easy?

No. This is where you walk away from the table happy. 50/50 bets will be a net wash in the long run and it just takes a bit of overconfidence to completely gently caress yourself.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Really though, it's all in relatively safe div stocks. The end of the VZ runup happened to coincide with JPM getting smashed so I did a quick flip on that, but anything I'm in right now is as safe a long bet as there is nowadays.

edit
Well EVN is a bet, but that's my lowest position. KO, HAS, PG will all make up for any short term washes, WFC has a very low bottom but even that has a decent enough dividend to long cover anything short of eating my own hat.

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 15, 2012

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

quote:

I think the old guys in the nice suits have not priced in the significance of Diablo 3 because they don't realize the hypnotic power of blizzard franchises--if you have a hundred bucks to spare, buy some May 19 13 calls: they're a nickel each right now.
I don't know if it's Diablo 3 or what but the stock is up almost 3%, and that call is worth 13 cents now.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Anyone else get notice that TradeKing and Zecco are merging?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
This whole month has basically destroyed everything I've built up over the past 6 months. Even if I were to cut my losses, I wouldn't even know where to put my money. Is there such thing as a conservative play anymore? So-called "high risk" REIT's like NLY are doing far better for me than any conventional stock I have my money in.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

This whole month has basically destroyed everything I've built up over the past 6 months.

Yeah May has been loving brutal for me too. Hopefully things get less funky with Greece and Europe in general because gently caress this many bad days in a row.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Is there such thing as a conservative play anymore?
Sell and wait?

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

TUBALLINATOR posted:

I don't know if it's Diablo 3 or what but the stock is up almost 3%, and that call is worth 13 cents now.

I got them at 5 cents and told ya'll to do the same sold some at 14 cents for nearly 200% roi, they're down to 8 cents now, holding the rest because even though there was a fade today I expect it to blow up again if not tomorrow then on Thursday when facebook mania grips the market.

If there's any weakness on ATVI tomorrow buying August 13/14 calls is a pretty quick way to make some profits that you can let accumulate.

There's a simple way to make money in this market, where bad news comes in every day and the tape is weak: stop fighting it. Get shorts or puts on basic material, transport, energy (esp. natural gas) or just buy puts on the SPY index itself, though watch out for support levels.

I bought the weekly 14 groupon puts and it's been a massacre--there may be a bounce tomorrow but I'd be happy using that to get in longer on my puts.

Also, buy ZNGA. Everybody shut up and stop throwing things at me, seriously buy ZNGA at anything below 8.50, sell it on the first decent spike at anything about 9 on friday--safe as houses.

For anyone who wants something safe and long buy ABT and WMT on the next dip or just right now if you're impatient. I realize "some guy on an internet forum" is not usually a trusted source but do your due diligence and then we can all throw our money on the bed and do the money dance together this Friday.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Smerdyakov posted:

Also, buy ZNGA. Everybody shut up and stop throwing things at me, seriously buy ZNGA at anything below 8.50, sell it on the first decent spike at anything about 9 on friday--safe as houses.

Thanks for this awesome tip and stellar analysis!

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I have scottrade, is it possible to do these put/call things? I have no idea what they are but before I learn about them I want to know if its something I can even do with a basic trading account?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I have scottrade, is it possible to do these put/call things? I have no idea what they are but before I learn about them I want to know if its something I can even do with a basic trading account?
You are going to want to know exactly how options work before you get into them, but yeah you can buy and sell them if you asked for the ability to buy and sell options when you opened your account. A single poorly planned trade can completely wipe out your account with options.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Dolphin posted:

You are going to want to know exactly how options work before you get into them

This.

The potential to be in a serious "oh poo poo" scenario is high with options if you do not know what you are doing.

The fact that you called them "put/call things" means you have some reading to do

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I've been slowly learning about options and I still can't wrap my head around some concepts. I'm reading Option Volatility & Pricing by Natenberg. Any recommendation on how to learn this stuff?

Smerdyakov posted:

Well, I assume you're going on the fact that ZNGA is a proxy to FB. And I think that's how most people are treating it recently. But I think price will fall as traders lock in profits over the next couple of days. For other proxies, check out YELP, GSVC, and P.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 16, 2012

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Turkeybone posted:

Safe as houses. This should be the new thread title.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

I've been slowly learning about options and I still can't wrap my head around some concepts. I'm reading Option Volatility & Pricing by Natenberg. Any recommendation on how to learn this stuff?

Learn options by starting a fake account and buying some, then watch as you lose more and more money and then occasionally jump up +250% on the lucky trade. I read a lot about options and thought I understood them but so far I have done a hell of a lot better playing "Buy and hold Toyota and Western Digital". But seriously, the only time I've seen options work is playing some on days before earnings. Everytime I've tried to go long on an option by thinking the net valuation will outpace the decreasing time value has failed me. Maybe I'm just dumb, who knows.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

MrBigglesworth posted:

Anyone else get notice that TradeKing and Zecco are merging?
Yea. I'm with Zecco. The email said the trade prices will remain at $4.95. Not sure if Zecco users will use the Tradking website now etc.

Furcifer
Apr 20, 2007
It's Furcifer, not Lucifer
nm

Furcifer fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 16, 2012

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

Look, I hate ZNGA too and it's a PoS stock/company and as a FB proxy it's not even that strong, but right now the market is news heavy, fundamentals weak, with every technical looking awful, so bad that people just avert their gaze.

I am telling you what I'm fairly certain will happen based on previous stock movements and over-sensitivity to news. Nobody's locking in profits on ZNGA before 9.00-10.00 because if you look at volume there are still a lot of bagholders who were waiting around the 10.00-12.00 range for the giant facebook pop that's probably not going to be enough.

The nice thing about stocks is that people don't have to be smarmy and argue, we just have to wait for the tape!

GSVC is hard to read in terms of real exposure and could dip, and YELP may or may not move but is eventually doomed. IMO Too late to buy P unless it gaps down tomorrow.

If I'm right about this play (Buy Zanga now around 8.50ish/wait and get iton any dip, sell it at anything above 9 depending on risk tolerance) I expect an avatar declaring me to be a golden god. Also, I like how people breezed past the stuff on solid stocks to talk about a lovely stock they don't need to research that is nonetheless probably going higher.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Smerdyakov posted:

Look, I hate ZNGA too and it's a PoS stock/company and as a FB proxy it's not even that strong, but right now the market is news heavy, fundamentals weak, with every technical looking awful, so bad that people just avert their gaze.

I am telling you what I'm fairly certain will happen based on previous stock movements and over-sensitivity to news. Nobody's locking in profits on ZNGA before 9.00-10.00 because if you look at volume there are still a lot of bagholders who were waiting around the 10.00-12.00 range for the giant facebook pop that's probably not going to be enough.

The nice thing about stocks is that people don't have to be smarmy and argue, we just have to wait for the tape!

GSVC is hard to read in terms of real exposure and could dip, and YELP may or may not move but is eventually doomed. IMO Too late to buy P unless it gaps down tomorrow.

If I'm right about this play (Buy Zanga now around 8.50ish/wait and get iton any dip, sell it at anything above 9 depending on risk tolerance) I expect an avatar declaring me to be a golden god. Also, I like how people breezed past the stuff on solid stocks to talk about a lovely stock they don't need to research that is nonetheless probably going higher.

I still can't get over safe as houses cause seriously

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Options as a Strategic Investment from the OP is more targeted towards retailers. In my edition, it starts with profit and loss and doesn't even get into theory until about halfway through.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

lightpole posted:

Omar comin' for your ZNGA safehouses.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Inverse Icarus posted:

The fact that you called them "put/call things" means you have some reading to do

I absolutely do. Trust me it's like learning a foreign language in here. I don't have the patience to read a book on this, I spend a lot of time on Investopedia though.

Although I never had intentions of getting rich by playing the market, I just wanted a place to park my money that earned better than .25% in a savings account. So to that end, I've been doing alright, but now I'm kind of getting hooked on it and it's a lot more fun than I thought it'd be.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
I generally only use options to hedge myself in rocky waters, other than that I usually stay away. I'm probably on the severely conservative to is that even really investing conservative side though. Only 10% of my portfolio is even in stocks and 90% of them are long term steady dividend investments. So far it's working though 14% ytd gains even with this dreadful month taking a chuck out of it.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Ok in for 82 shares of TEF @ 12.5 lets see how this shakes out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I absolutely do. Trust me it's like learning a foreign language in here. I don't have the patience to read a book on this, I spend a lot of time on Investopedia though.

Play on the simulator. It's a great way to learn the basics, it will motivate you to read books on it and you will learn more from the book.

You can't sell options in the simulator though, as in writing options or taking a short position. You can obviously sell the ones you've bought, meaning closing your long position. This means you can't do complicated things like Iron Condors (which I always thought were Nazi bombers), but simple long positions on either calls or puts is crazy enough.

A really fun thing is the last hours before close on Fridays. Options slightly out of the money are only pennies, and as it swings into the money you can suddenly triple or quadruple your bet. Then two minutes later it's all gone, then DOUBLE, all gone again, closed at 50% loss. No wonder Wall Streeters do so much drugs.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

lightpole posted:

You do realize that after 2008-2009 that phrase has taken on a new and radically different meaning, right? ZNGA is a bubble that you can still ride profitably: note how I said sell at the first big spike, not put it in your IRA and check on it every ten years.

If you want something like that ABT is what I've been holding literally since birth when my grandmother bought me ten shares and it's just an incredibly solid stock that pays good dividends quarterly.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
GM pulling ads from FB is interesting and happening at the worst time for FB.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

I am not sure GM's game announcing this in public.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think the game is GM, no longer managed by idiots.

Eco RI
Nov 5, 2008

NOM NOM NOM OM NOM

If you guys were to short FB, what kind of timeline are you considering after the IPO?

Eco RI fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 16, 2012

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've dealt with Facebook ads a LOT and I wouldn't be surprised if the information coming now isn't an accident.

They were cool to work with back in like 2008/2009, but have gotten to be enormous dicks about literally everything.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Eco RI posted:

If you guys were to short FB, what kind of timeline are you considering after the IPO?

I don't know. I can't think of any IPO that has had such a frothy demand and I don't have the cojones to short it.

Something lawful
Aug 13, 2007
wut wut

I don't know. I can't think of any IPO that has had such a frothy demand and I don't have the cojones to short it.
Agreed. Facebook is going to be very over-hyped but shorting it early is insanely risky. I'm going to wait to buy some puts later instead.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I don't see how anyone can think of shorting Facebook anywhere near it's IPO in a market where GRPN jumps up by 40% when they release earnings showing that they're losing less money than everyone thought.

Something lawful
Aug 13, 2007
wut wut

Harry posted:

I don't see how anyone can think of shorting Facebook anywhere near it's IPO in a market where GRPN jumps up by 40% when they release earnings showing that they're losing less money than everyone thought.
It should be much safer to short than Groupon. They are floating a larger % of shares than Groupon did and short interest is unlikely to be as high, so it shouldn't be as vulnerable to a squeeze. If an IPO valuing a company at ~$100b jumped 40% in a day...:psyboom:

edit: Still don't do it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Funny when you hit a round number. It trickled down to 550 and BANG triggered thousands of stops.

edit: woops, cut out the name. This is AAPL.

e: ugh paint.exe sure makes some ugly jpegs

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
FB makes about 1/10th of GOOG's revenues even though they have 2x the pageviews. And FB will be valued at ~100 times its current annual profits. The average is 15.

So basically, FB needs to learn how to monetize. If they can, then they are worth a lot more than $100 billion. If they can't, then they're worth a lot less than $100 billion. So do you think they can figure it out? I think they can and so I'll be loading up on Friday.

Edit: It's amazing how many people think they are experts with this company.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 16, 2012

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Harry posted:

Yes but it's still 50% of what it was worth a few months ago. It's all relative, and I'm sure it's shorts cashing in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I am a moron - making an attempt to catch the falling knife on NOK today.