Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

madsushi posted:

Correct, no SMB2 support in 10.6. Should still work though, falling back to SMB, just like Windows XP would. Is the time on your Mac and the time on the 2008r2 server 5 minutes apart or more?

Nope, times were in sync.

madsushi posted:

There are also third party tools for OSX that add support for SMB2 (DAVE, I think)

So, I changed a total of 3 GPO settings both on the Domain controller and the file server.

I changed:
Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (always) Disabled
Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (if client agrees) Enabled
Network security: LAN Manager authentication level: LM & NTLM; use NTLMv2 session if negotiated

Still, my Mac OS X clients could not mount SMB (authentication error). They could however, mount NFS. This wasn't acceptable in our environment though. I even tried setting up a FreeBSD VM and it couldn't mount either.

I ended up giving DAVE a try like you said and loving magically it works. We're just going to change our GPOs back to normal and purchase licenses for Dave for our Mac OS X 10.6 users.

Thanks for the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Group Policy Management Improvements in Windows Server "8" Beta

Remote policy refresh!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Awesome.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Best news of the day! I've already got a batch script setup to do this using PsTools but having this integrated into the Group Policy console will be great.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Swink posted:

Remote policy refresh!
PWAIZE THA LAAAWD

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Ran across this the other day and thought others could benefit from it (it's from the horse's mouth.) It's also from 2007 though, so who knows.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm having some WMI filter issues, trying to have a policy that applies only to servers using the following:

code:
select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where ProductType="2" or ProductType="3"
When I model this in the Group Policy Modeling wizard, I'm getting Windows 7 desktops evaluating as true. Am I jumping the gun at assuming this isn't working and it just doesn't get reflected in the simulation, or am I doing something wrong?

Obviously the easiest way is to just look on the client and see what's getting applied, but I don't have access to one right now.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Caged posted:

I'm having some WMI filter issues, trying to have a policy that applies only to servers using the following:

code:
select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where ProductType="2" or ProductType="3"
When I model this in the Group Policy Modeling wizard, I'm getting Windows 7 desktops evaluating as true. Am I jumping the gun at assuming this isn't working and it just doesn't get reflected in the simulation, or am I doing something wrong?

Obviously the easiest way is to just look on the client and see what's getting applied, but I don't have access to one right now.

It looks correct to me. I would test it out on a client. I use the exact same WMI filter and it doesn't affect any of our client windows OS's, including Windows 7.

Also, it probably isn't the cause but you should be typing it in proper format (uppercase clauses):

code:
SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem WHERE ProductType = "2" OR ProductType = "3"

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 13, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

So, my help desk is just so loving retarded and I can't do anything about it.

She keeps changing C:\ permissions when a program won't work properly instead of escalating the issue to me so I can assess and modify GPOs if necessary. For example, she just added full access for "Authenticated Users" on the C:\ root and then she went into program files, took off inheritance and added the username with full access. No matter how much I openly mock and ridicule her for being a dumb oval office, she still does what she wants.

I need a GPO that basically resets the default security descriptors on the C:\ drive and any other folders she may have unlinked inheritance on. Is there a good way to do this?

Edit: She's doing this on individual workstations by the way, not servers (thank gently caress).

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 16, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Take a look under Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > File System. You should be able to define whatever permissions you want. And IIRC, policies under Security Settings reapply themselves periodically so when she inevitably tries to go behind your back her bullshit will get overwritten the next day.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Docjowles posted:

And IIRC, policies under Security Settings reapply themselves periodically so when she inevitably tries to go behind your back her bullshit will get overwritten the next day.

That's what I was hoping for.

Thank you.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Caged posted:

Then psexec into a client and do a "wmic os get producttype". Or run a remote rsop.msc

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl
Anyone know if it's possible to pin things to the Windows 7 taskbar using GPO's? I can't seem to find the setting and after a little googling I think it's not possible.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
It's not easy but possible http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2009/04/08/pin-items-to-the-start-menu-or-windows-7-taskbar-via-script.aspx

No, doesn't work
VV

peak debt fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 25, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Couldn't you just use GPOs to make a shortcut here:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Noghri_ViR posted:

Anyone know if it's possible to pin things to the Windows 7 taskbar using GPO's? I can't seem to find the setting and after a little googling I think it's not possible.

I like the script from The IT Bros as it's easier to use: http://theitbros.com/copy-taskbar-icons-windows-7-sysprep. They use it for MDT but I see no reason you couldn't add a modified version of this script to a startup script GPO.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Hiyoshi posted:

I like the script from The IT Bros as it's easier to use: http://theitbros.com/copy-taskbar-icons-windows-7-sysprep. They use it for MDT but I see no reason you couldn't add a modified version of this script to a startup script GPO.

This is the one that I use too.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I'm having a hard time giving an AD group rights to run as a service with group policy without breaking other things. We have a group, DOMAIN\robots, in which there are accounts for services and other automation tasks. When you set a service to run as a domain account it gives that user rights to run as a service on that machine, until GP refreshes and it needs to start the service again.

So, I enabled Computer -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies/User Rights Management -> log on as a service and added the DOMAIN\robots group. I also did the same for Log on as a batch job, Back up files and directories, and Restore files and directories (for various backup services/scripts).

Now, apparently when you enable these settings, it disables what would be considered default. In other words, it removes these rights for [builtin]\administrators. So I added [builtin]\administrators to those settings.

But then, I couldn't install Windows updates on the one 2003 R2 server we've got floating around (required for 3rd-party software), but updates worked fine on everything else (2008 R2). So, I added [builtin]\administrators to all the settings as per this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951244/ . That didn't work, so I unlinked the GPO and updates went fine, but services wouldn't start as the domain accounts.

The weird thing is, this all happened in the test environment and none of these changes made it to production. All of the services start fine in the production environment. With this GPO unlinked, test and prod both have the same output from gpresult, but services won't start in the test environment. What else could affect this?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Maybe I'm just not seeing it but is there a way to create a local user/local admin through GPOs?

I want to roll out a GPO that enables the disabled by default local admin account on Windows 7 machines and make sure it exists on Windows XP machines and be able to change the password for the local admin account.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

IT Guy posted:

So, my help desk is just so loving retarded and I can't do anything about it.

She keeps changing C:\ permissions when a program won't work properly instead of escalating the issue to me so I can assess and modify GPOs if necessary. For example, she just added full access for "Authenticated Users" on the C:\ root and then she went into program files, took off inheritance and added the username with full access. No matter how much I openly mock and ridicule her for being a dumb oval office, she still does what she wants.

I need a GPO that basically resets the default security descriptors on the C:\ drive and any other folders she may have unlinked inheritance on. Is there a good way to do this?

Edit: She's doing this on individual workstations by the way, not servers (thank gently caress).

:catstare:

How stupid can some people be...

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Wicaeed posted:

:catstare:

How stupid can some people be...

When my boss hired her, she didn't even know how to change NTFS security. But since she was so dumb my boss sent her to a week long course called "Windows 7 boot camp" and when she came back she picked up all kinds of bad habits from the course. Another thing she likes to do is restart as many services she can in "services.msc". Like, she'll start from the top and just restart all the services going down. I don't understand it.

I don't blame the course though, I'm sure the course didn't tell her to do this but rather showed her where to find these types of things in Windows 7.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

IT Guy posted:

When my boss hired her, she didn't even know how to change NTFS security. But since she was so dumb my boss sent her to a week long course called "Windows 7 boot camp" and when she came back she picked up all kinds of bad habits from the course. Another thing she likes to do is restart as many services she can in "services.msc". Like, she'll start from the top and just restart all the services going down. I don't understand it.

I don't blame the course though, I'm sure the course didn't tell her to do this but rather showed her where to find these types of things in Windows 7.

What...no....how is she still employed?

On a separate topic, how can you set the SNMP trap destination/string in Windows Group Policy? There is a registry string I have set to automatically add to Windows Server that configures this, but currently it only sets itself on 2008 R2 servers and not 2003.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Wicaeed posted:

A combination of my boss doesn't give a poo poo and having connections to get the job.

But back on topic. I think I resolved my original question about the local admin, I was looking at Windows Settings when it appears to be in the Preferences.

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002

IT Guy posted:

Maybe I'm just not seeing it but is there a way to create a local user/local admin through GPOs?

I want to roll out a GPO that enables the disabled by default local admin account on Windows 7 machines and make sure it exists on Windows XP machines and be able to change the password for the local admin account.

GPP can do that for you.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Wicaeed posted:

On a separate topic, how can you set the SNMP trap destination/string in Windows Group Policy? There is a registry string I have set to automatically add to Windows Server that configures this, but currently it only sets itself on 2008 R2 servers and not 2003.

Do your older servers have the Group Policy Preferences Client Side Extensions installed? That's a prereq for anything under the Preferences tree to apply to a machine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've trawled through this thread (should probably just buy plat to get search back) and not found much - I seem to remember someone here did a pretty definitive guide on how to do Roaming Profiles properly (with folder redirection). I have a 2008 R2 server and Windows 7 clients, what do I need to do to get this working properly? Is there a current 'best practices' way of handling this?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/08/best-practice-roaming-profiles-and-folder-redirection-a-k-a-user-virtualization/

This is pretty solid info. I personally don't do folder redirection anymore but that's mostly due to my particular environment

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Caged posted:

I've trawled through this thread (should probably just buy plat to get search back) and not found much - I seem to remember someone here did a pretty definitive guide on how to do Roaming Profiles properly (with folder redirection). I have a 2008 R2 server and Windows 7 clients, what do I need to do to get this working properly? Is there a current 'best practices' way of handling this?

BangersInMyKnickers (the OP of this thread) made a thread titled "How to Make you're Roaming Profiles Not Suck." I used it to setup redirected profiles at work, the thread has fallen into archives, and it alone is tempting me to buy plat. Though if anybody with plat has archives access and would like to repost the OP in this thread that would be awesome. I have the link at work, so if nobody finds it by then I can post it on Monday.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bingo, that's the thread I'm after. I'll wait for you to dig the link out, it might be time to upgrade my account.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Here's that OP, all credit to Bangers.

quote:

I mentioned roaming profiles is some other thread, and a bunch of people's heads started spinning around and spraying vomit in revulsion. And some of that is rightly earned; their out of the box configuration can be absolutely lovely. But with the right combination of offline files, folder redirection, and group policy it can be the ideal blend of portability, speed, and centralized backup locations.

Before we begin:

If you're still running XP on your workstations and 2003 file servers, upgrade. Do it. The technology is mature, you have XP mode as a fall-back on Win7 for application compatibility, and besides the improvements I'm going to list here there is a massive slew of other security and usability improvements. Make way for the glorious new future.

SMB2

The original SMB/CIFS protocol from 1992 was good at the time, but it has some serious design flaws that limit its performance in a few situations. Microsoft finally addressed these issues with the Vista/2008 release, and if you are running that operating system or newer on both ends things will negotiate up to SMB2 which will give you two major improvements. First, SMB had to create and close a SMB session for every single file it transferred. It's is costly and slow, and when you get in to modern roaming profiles that can contain thousands of small cookie files that need to be replicated, it sucks poo poo. SMB2 corrects this by allowing a single session to be opened and multiple files to be streamed in, removing the overhead. Secondly, SMB was only designed to be a LAN protocol. High latency or lower/changing bandwidth connections do not react to it very well and that might be an issue in your environment. SMB2 was written to adapt to high latency, VPN links, and whatever else you can throw at it much more gracefully.

If you are using some sort of Samba-based storage appliance, CHECK THE FIRMWARE RELEASES. There was a bug in one of the older Samba builds that introduced SMB2 support that opened up the possibility of data corruption to the file or even the entire volume. Prior releases have addressed it, but check before you implement.

Offline Files

Offline Files on XP was a fairly basic service that allowed asynchronous file transfer from your file server to the local cache. It was an improvement over being stuck at a PROFILE LOADING dialog for 15 minutes, but not ideal. Vista introduced block-level copies, so only the data that is modified is transmitted instead of a copy of the entire file again. It also has some other improvements that you can probably read about on technet like slow link detection but blah blah blah that was the big one.

New Profile Structure

Profiles in Vista and newer are now the new .V2 structure. By spinning the Music and Video directories out of the Documents one, it is easier to have granular control over what goes where, how it gets backed up, etc. It's great, don't fight it. Just come up with a migration plan and roll with it.

One thing that I've seen a lot of people get confused about is how the new profiles are addressed from the Active Directory object. In 2000/XP, the user object was pointed to a profile directory like \\server\share\[username]. When a user logs in to a Vista/Win7 workstation and there is a roaming profile associated, .V2 is automatically appended to the end (\\server\share\[username].V2) and that directory is used. This is done because the old and new directory formats are not interchangeable and if you try to load a .V2 profile on an XP system it won't know where the gently caress things are. So just to stress, you do not need to modify the profile directory in your AD objects to use the .V2 profiles. This will be done automatically for you.

Lets get to it:

You're going to need some WMI filters first, so open up your group policy management console and make a new one. The first is to evaluate systems that are running Vista or newer and you need the query 'select * from Win32_OperatingSysten where BuildNumber > 6000' and the second is for XP and older 'select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where BuildNumber < 6000'.

Some environments may have already disabled Offline Files through policy on your systems. This is going to conflict with what we're doing, so you'll need a policy that forces it back on. You'll want a test OU or to limit the security scope while you are playing with it. When Offline Files is enabled, any redirected folder will be automatically cached by the service.

Now you need to set your policies to do the folder redirection. These are located under User Config\Policies\Windows Settings\Folder Redirection. If you set any folder redirection policy for a folder that is only in the V2 (Vista/Win7) profiles, all folder redirection setting in that GPO will only apply to Vista/Win7 clients. If you're in a mixed environment, you'll need two policies with the appropriate WMI filters applied to avoid confusion. In my environment I redirect everything but Downloads and Saved Games (because one is basically scratch space and the other I don't care about at all). All files are pointed in to the the user's home directory and configuring these is pretty self-explanatory. Under settings, having the Move Contents option checked is generally a good idea but the operation will take some time to do initially if the profile is large, so be warned. I also change the policy removal option to point files back to the roaming profile in the event that the policy is removed, so things aren't orphaned.

Some weird stuff here: The Grant user exclusive rights option gives the user full control rights to the redirect folders that are generated. If that works for you, just leave it that way. If you un-check it, in theory the folders should be created with inherited permissions of the folder it was created in. Our users have only modify rights to their homedir and this feature does not work correctly if you un-check said option. It is completely backwards and counter-intuitive from what you would expect (and frankly, I don't even understand how the folder is getting created with non-inherited permissions when the user doesn't have rights to do so) but it is what it is.

Other weird thing; Do NOT redirect anything straight in to the users home directory, only sub-directories of it. Most of these folders are "special" and Windows will attach metadata to them so even through the directory name under the covers is still \\server\homedirs\username, when you are browsing the homedir root every single folder will be displayed by the shell as My Documents or something similar instead of username. It is a cluster-gently caress to clean up, so just don't do it.

Now go to User Configuration\Policies\Network\Offline Files and configure things as you see fit. I configured it to remove the Make Availible Offline shell extension since I don't need someone doing it for an entire network drive and prohibited user configuration on the settings. Redirected folders are automatically cached by Offline Files if the feature is enabled, so you don't have to worry about specifying anything here.

Finally, go to User Configuration\Policies\System\User Profiles and set the Exclude from roaming profile policy with the directories you don't want to be replicated, in my case it was Downloads and Saved Games.

And what is it actually DOING?

The first time you log in, the files that are redirected will be copied over to the user's home directory (or whatever other target you deemed fit for the job). So this will probably take as long as their typical logon, maybe longer. Once that is complete, the desktop is presented. Offline Files is now running in Online Mode, but it has no local cache built. When you access something in a redirected location, it is directly accessed from across the network. Offline Files then begins a background synchronization of the files to your systems client-side cache (C:\Windows\CSC). Once the file is cached locally, subsequent reads are done from the cached disk so there is no performance hit. If the network connection is still present, writes will be done directly to the network location so you will see some transfer performance penalty there. If the network connection is lost, all reads and writes are done to the cache, and restoration of connectivity is checked every 2 minutes. When it resumes, changes are replicated and services resume in online mode again. Here is some more detailed information on exactly how it runs in various situations: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749449%28WS.10%29.aspx

With all of that done, the only thing that should be left in your roaming profile is the user registry, some cryptography stuff, any the few odds things that make their own folders in the user profile root. Enjoy your speedy-rear end roaming profiles.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got that all setup, but once a user's profile is redirected, the first login on a machine takes a long time. I'm not talking about the first time the roaming profile gets copied into the redirected location, but I think it's caching the profile locally before it presents the desktop. I want it to show the desktop immediately, and then cache the files in the background.

Unless it's doing that and the first logon to a machine is slow for another reason.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Excellent stuff, I'm working my way down that guide (the post by BangersInMyKnickers and the one on GroupPolicy.biz, which I found before asking so it's nice to know I was looking in the right place anyway) and things are going well so far.

Couple of questions though, when it's mentioned that Downloads or Saved Games aren't redirected, does that mean you leave them as part of the roaming profile, or that you redirect them to C:\Users\whatever so they stay local to the machine? Surely leaving Downloads as part of the roaming profile takes us back to the bad old days of massive profiles, or have I missed something?

Also (and a really loving minor point), I'm getting Windows themes settings move with the user successfully, but not the login picture thing. Is there an elegant way to move this around as well or should I just enforce a corporate image and tell everyone to suck it up? Anything but a flower would be nice.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 14, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Caged posted:

Couple of questions though, when it's mentioned that Downloads or Saved Games aren't redirected, does that mean you leave them as part of the roaming profile, or that you redirect them to C:\Users\whatever so they stay local to the machine? Surely leaving Downloads as part of the roaming profile takes us back to the bad old days of massive profiles, or have I missed something?

You choose what folders get directed. I redirect everything but Saved Games and App Data, which stays in the roaming profile (not that anything in a corporate offer uses Saved Games). I don't want to redirect App Data because I don't think anything good would happen if multiple things try to modify app data.

I'd imagine if you didn't have roaming profiles but did redirected profiles, the registry hive and whatever you don't redirect would stay on the local machine, but at that point just setup a roaming profile for the rest because there's no reason not to, and it makes your users' lives easier.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Anecdotally, I've had bad experiences redirecting AppData. We have some apps that read/write frequently to very large files stored in AppData\Roaming (don't ask me man, I didn't code it) and performance TANKED when I tried to redirect it; one operation went from seconds to 5 minutes.

Maybe it was just that one lovely app, or I did it wrong, but if you decide to do AppData definitely roll it to a small test group first. It seems like it can go wrong in more ways than the relatively straightforward My Documents etc.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

FISHMANPET posted:

You choose what folders get directed. I redirect everything but Saved Games and App Data, which stays in the roaming profile (not that anything in a corporate offer uses Saved Games).
That sort of confirms what I was getting at — not redirecting Downloads leaves it as part of the roaming profile, which is what I thought we were trying to get away from? Can it even be redirected to a local folder?

Thanks for the heads up re: AppData though, think I'll leave that in the profile for now.

Edit: Just re-read and saw the bit about "exclude from roaming profile". Now it all makes sense. That'll teach me to try and figure this out at 4am.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 14, 2012

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I wouldn't redirect the desktop either. I had some major issues with Java based programs and redirecting the desktop. The bug has existed since 2002 and no one's bothered to fix it

http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=4787931

I've found most people don't store much on there, so performance gains from redirecting the desktop were minimal.

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

quote:

Now go to User Configuration\Policies\Network\Offline Files and configure things as you see fit.

No. Turning on encryption for offline-files means dealing with certificates. I didn't know this and had two domains configured with encryption and suddenly people couldn't access their files because something or other had expired. Not encrypting offline files fixed it and I never looked into it again.

And redirecting AppData sucks.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Holy hell, there's no way to set a default printer with the 2008 R2 printer GPO deployment thing is there? I guess I'm going to have to script it.

Got everything working perfectly, even with the pushprintersettings.exe workaround for XP clients.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I resorted to having the default printer pushed via a Preference, don't really seem to lose out on much doing it this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just wrote my first custom ADM template and feeling pretty loving awesome about it. <3 Group Policy.

LmaoTheKid posted:

Holy hell, there's no way to set a default printer with the 2008 R2 printer GPO deployment thing is there? I guess I'm going to have to script it.

I see an option in the User\Preferences\Control Panel Settings\Printers when you setup a shared printer you can set it as the default.

Not sure if that will work for you or not.

• Locked thread