Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
Hi guys, can I come and play?

This will hopefully be mine on Sunday! First bike, don't have my license yet but working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

zapateria posted:

Hi guys, can I come and play?

This will hopefully be mine on Sunday! First bike, don't have my license yet but working on it.

That's a very nice Bandit, what year is it?

Also, get thee some red rim stripes.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
2001 GSF 600 S, I like the idea of red rim stripes, makes the wheels look like canon L lenses.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

fingerling posted:

Went for a ride with a friend and their friend yesterday. It was amazing. Although it was a typical thing. The other person (on the Duc) was one of the worst riders I've ever seen. He was riding like he was in a car..

Mine's the Ninja, and my friends is the Blade. A lot of fun out to Victor Harbor..

Laughing my rear end off at the exhaust on that monster.

Edit: I guess that's actually an expensive exhaust system. Egg on my face.

dr cum patrol esq fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 11, 2012

epix
Aug 7, 2004
My 97 DR650 still a bit of work in progress pic but nearly there.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Is it just a trick of the camera/my eyes being dodgey at 1:40am or is your front wheel flatish? As in, car tyre sort of shape?

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Shimrod posted:

Oh, yeah, I've ridden with a few people who do that poo poo, I stopped riding with them after it. Just makes it frustrating to be the one following them when they can't ride properly and you spend half the time worrying about them.

That's one of the reasons I stopped doing group rides. I'm selective as all heck now.

Riding a modified Hayabusa, I know better than most any idiot can twist the throttle on the straights and get to ludicrous speed. But I like my license so I keep within the confines of the law for the most part. I have a track bike for when I really feel the need. So many times I found myself with pillion, having to brake mid corner to not hit the same moron that blew past me at nine-tenths of the speed of light on the straight. And here I was being told Hayabusa's "can't corner"[0].

In the end, I just started making an excuse that I had to leave the ride early, and would head out with one or two other riders that would ride for the corners, leaving the straights as the slow spots for the less capable riders to catch up.

[0] Compared to a CBR or similar and with a competent rider onboard, sure, they "can't", but within the realms of legal riding there's zero difference.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

epix posted:

My 97 DR650 still a bit of work in progress pic but nearly there.

Beautiful. Cannot get enough of those 90's graphics.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Gonna pick this up tomorrow:

'88 Honda Hawk GT

Mechanically, it's in great condition. It was owned by two brothers who've worked on Hawks for years, and it my friend took a ride and thought it reflected that. Cosmetically, it's in pretty rough condition. I'm planning on repainting the spare cowl and gas tank with plastidip (will it hold up on the gas tank?), and then restoring it down the line when I get a real job.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Internet Meme posted:

'88 Honda Hawk GT

Mechanically, it's in great condition. It was owned by two brothers who've worked on Hawks for years, and it my friend took a ride and thought it reflected that. Cosmetically, it's in pretty rough condition. I'm planning on repainting the spare cowl and gas tank with plastidip (will it hold up on the gas tank?), and then restoring it down the line when I get a real job.

owned by two Honda Bros, you say?..........:suicide:

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I don't get it... But it's gonna get fixed by three Toyota bros.

:hehe::respek::cool::respek::3:

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 16, 2012

Sir.Tucker
Sep 17, 2006

For the Workforce!

Shimrod posted:

Is it just a trick of the camera/my eyes being dodgey at 1:40am or is your front wheel flatish? As in, car tyre sort of shape?

It's the dirt on the tires that make it look like it's flat on top.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Internet Meme posted:

I don't get it.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=923&q=honda+bros

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding

Internet Meme posted:

'88 Honda Hawk GT

What's up Hawk Buddy. Also the joke is that the Hawk GT was called the Honda Bros in Japan

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Internet Meme posted:

'88 Honda Hawk GT

I'd chuck an original seat on that, the lines are just classically gorgeous from the factory imo. Also, they have problems with the chain tension adjusters iirc, keep an eye on it. Nice bike

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Internet Meme posted:

'88 Honda Hawk GT

Hawk love! I've owned one for 3 years, an 88 with 6900 miles. Absolutely fantastic bikes. People cannot believe my bike is 24 years old. Their only weak point is they're pretty tame (50ish hp) and the suspension, especially the front forks, is pretty outdated.

That seat is a Corbin Gunfighter and Lady. Corbin also makes a solo version. I've also seen people modify the Gf&L seat by taking foam out of the passenger section.

LarryCsonka and I appear to have the same turn signals, they're Lockhart Phillips Series II, and fit into the stock signal mounts in the rear, and the headlight bolt holes in the front.

here's mine:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've always liked the Hawk but never ridden one. They're a sharp bike. Congrats.

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding

Gweenz posted:

Hawk love! I've owned one for 3 years, an 88 with 6900 miles. Absolutely fantastic bikes. People cannot believe my bike is 24 years old. Their only weak point is they're pretty tame (50ish hp) and the suspension, especially the front forks, is pretty outdated.

That seat is a Corbin Gunfighter and Lady. Corbin also makes a solo version. I've also seen people modify the Gf&L seat by taking foam out of the passenger section.

LarryCsonka and I appear to have the same turn signals, they're Lockhart Phillips Series II, and fit into the stock signal mounts in the rear, and the headlight bolt holes in the front.

here's mine:

Another Hawk buddy, nice

Nice bike, I love the grey. That is some seriously low mileage as well. Mine is an 89 with about 16,500. I have been thinking about putting some lower clip-ons on it this summer

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Fortunately, the previous owner did some pretty cool suspension mods. He replaced the rear shock with a CBR900 (hence the ziptied reservoir) and rebuilt the fronts to be stiffer. I went out and took my first ride (ever) with the help of some internet friends. Dropped the bike twice :saddowns: and now I need a new clutch lever... But goddamn. Riding a bike in an empty parking lot is like the best parts of autocross rolled into a high revving cycle of joy.

Maybe I'll make a project thread after I get things in order.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 17, 2012

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
HARLEY-DAVIDSON! :downs:

I bought it brand new. I keep hearing that's kind of stupid, but hey, what's the worst that could happen, right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Strife posted:

HARLEY-DAVIDSON! :downs:

I bought it brand new. I keep hearing that's kind of stupid, but hey, what's the worst that could happen, right?

Well, you could drop it and total it and be paying thousands of dollars on a total write-off.

Sportsters are the best H-Ds. How much did you pay for it?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Sagebrush posted:

Well, you could drop it and total it and be paying thousands of dollars on a total write-off.

Sportsters are the best H-Ds. How much did you pay for it?

I was being kind of sarcastic, a lot could go wrong. I just have to not make any(more) bad decisions.

It was $9500.

Bazacko
Nov 23, 2008

Internet Meme posted:

Fortunately, the previous owner did some pretty cool suspension mods. He replaced the rear shock with a CBR900 (hence the ziptied reservoir) and rebuilt the fronts to be stiffer. I went out and took my first ride (ever) with the help of some internet friends. Dropped the bike twice :saddowns: and now I need a new clutch lever... But goddamn. Riding a bike in an empty parking lot is like the best parts of autocross rolled into a high revving cycle of joy.

Maybe I'll make a project thread after I get things in order.

I was the internet friend and man, I'm jealous of your bike. Felt really compact and incredibly easy to maneuver due to the wide high bars.

You did great for your first ride ever! You progressed from "Can't go 50 feet without dumping it" to scooting around that parking lot within half an hour. And the lever is only a $9 fix. Just don't try any more "racer flybys" ;)

Bazacko fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 17, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Strife posted:

I was being kind of sarcastic, a lot could go wrong. I just have to not make any(more) bad decisions.

Actually the worst that could happen (and what's really common with Harley riders, guessing from Craigslist) is that you ride it a hundred miles or a few, have a scare or a scratch, park it and then don't ride it for years, paying it off all the while. It's a sharp bike, keep it moving.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Took a new pic of my bike, since I realized I didn't have any that show off the lower handlebars.

Before:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 18, 2012

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
It's really too bad that there kinda isn't any way to make mirrors cool except by making them more or less nonfunctional

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Schlieren posted:

It's really too bad that there kinda isn't any way to make mirrors cool except by making them more or less nonfunctional
I put bar end mirrors on my 1982 gs 650e and can see much better than before. Like completely behind me on both sides better. The only down side I can find is that it's all a little smaller back there but I'm sure bigger or maybe better ones would fix that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kenny powerzzz posted:

I put bar end mirrors on my 1982 gs 650e and can see much better than before. Like completely behind me on both sides better. The only down side I can find is that it's all a little smaller back there but I'm sure bigger or maybe better ones would fix that.

Well, it could work, I guess.

But there is the small issue of my handlebars already being quite wide, it's hard to find covers that fit. Sticking stuff to the bar ends would make it even worse.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 20, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, it could work, I guess.

But there is the small issue of my handlebars already being quite wide, it's hard to find covers that fit. Sticking stuff to the bar ends would make it even worse.

I kind of told you before. You might have to shorten that Tomaselli bar a tad to make it fit your bike. Like 4 or 5cm. each side. If you're bored on this beautiful sunny Sunday, the hack-shop is open.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

I kind of told you before. You might have to shorten that Tomaselli bar a tad to make it fit your bike. Like 4 or 5cm. each side. If you're bored on this beautiful sunny Sunday, the hack-shop is open.

2-2.5cm off each side maximum, otherwise all the bracketry and controls won't be able to fit.

It'll have to be some other day, though.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

2-2.5cm off each side maximum, otherwise all the bracketry and controls won't be able to fit.

It'll have to be some other day, though.

Yeah, I see 3cm. Anyways, give me a call after work any day, and we'll fix it. People that call out your bike for looking like Mickey Mouse are right.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
1980s (partly!) Yamaha goodness. I bought it as a mostly complete 400 that did not really run. Spent about 15 years on the track. It now has a much happier yzf600 engine planted inside. Tossed racetek springs in the forks to correct a boaty front end. built a harness specifically for the machine. The only original parts to the bike are the plastics, gauges, wheels and frame. The tail is from a 04' Gsxr. The original was kinda crumbly and the rear lights just did not work to my favor.

When I bought it:

For when I cant carry a ton of stuff on the back of the bike on road trips I carry it on the rover with all the other junk.
Those rigs work but are very flexy bendy.

another photo in a rural part of Alabama.
http://i.imgur.com/Pw1DF.jpg

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

Mighty fine FZR.

Now I want one again. drat you.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Schlieren posted:

Huh. I kinda like the look of them. I've got them adjusted just right on my bike so they give me perfect visibility. They fit the look of the bike too if you ask me.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been lurking the past couple weeks, and we've finally got a string of good weather so I washed the bikes and took pictures so I can finally show them off. First up is my current ride, an '07 R6 in gunmetal grey (for now), bought about 2 months ago with only 2,500 miles. I've already put another 2,000 miles on it, and I'm actually surprised it's not more than that. I live in Colorado, but I rode pretty much all winter.. and I've only had my endorsement for a year. Hell, I rode my new R6 all the way across town in a damned blizzard. Funny thing is I hate the rain, but the cold and snow are no big deal (I do need to invest in some grip warmers though). Anyway here's my new baby.

She's the same bike as my first, just a few years younger. I love the poo poo out of the fuel injection, it fires right up regardless of the weather. That '01 was a bitch to start when the temperature was below freezing. The throttle seems a lot more responsive as well, though still soft in the lower ranges. I know most folks around here don't necessarily approve of a 600 for a first bike, but the only advice I had to go on when I bought it was a friend. Well, after my girlfriend took the MSF class she bought all her gear and insurance for my old R6 (I had both at this point, but had promised to sell the old one to a friend, more on that later) so we could scoot around the neighborhood and she could get the feel of something with some real weight. She actually did pretty drat good, only dropping it once, but neither one of us wanted that thing to be her daily commuter. After quite a bit of searching, we settled on a 98 Ninja 500 that we had to drive up to Denver to pick up. We were both hoping for a 250, but we were only looking to spend about a grand on her first bike, and pretty much everything that came along was newish and cost about $3-4k. My buddy came up with the money for the old R6 the day after my girl insured it, and she was getting squirmy not having a bike so we went with the 500.

She has dropped it a few times, and has a lot of trouble getting it up when she does, but I think she's got it down now. The biggest problem is that we have to park off the alley, and our driveway is a dirt uphill slope that's a little bit washed out in places, so she's lost her footing there. poo poo, I've done it as well, and I'm a bit taller than her. Anyway the PO had bought it for his wife, she banged it up a lot and decided she didn't like it, and I got what I feel was a pretty good deal for a bike with only 12k miles on it. The fairings were tore the hell up, but I plastic welded them back up (the best I could, goddamn) and we repainted them. This is the first time I've done anything like this, so most of the welds are visible and a couple cracked again when I bolted it all down, and the paint is just a rattle can job, but it looks a hell of a lot better than it did. I wish I had taken before pics though..

We've still got big plans for the tank and the little handle/spoiler thingy. I used to powder coat, and I've still got some connections, so we're going to get the dent pulled out of the tank (you can see if you look close enough, on the "saki"), and get it a sweet rear end custom powder coat job. We picked a chameleon pink flake clear coat over gloss black. I can't wait until that's finished. It'll probably inspire me to rip mine apart and at least get my tank and some other odds and ends painted. The frame would be loving awesome, but I don't know if my aptitude is quite up to par for that yet. Here's the herd, we ain't got no stable:

Those 2 nice little (BIG) scratches on my fairing are from backing up the EX500 into it with my helmet on. Like I said our parking situation is kinda hosed, but man did I feel stupid after I did that. A couple more and maybe I'll be inspired to paint the whole thing. It just looks so drat pretty, I hate seeing it with scratches. The whole point of buying the new bike was because I beat up my first bike and thought I got it out of my system. Oh well, I suppose it probably does happen to the best; my dad said he's dropped his Fat Boy in his garage (150 lb man on a 1300 cc hog :lol:).

And here's some iphone pic before and afters of my first bike, the '01 R6. I had a lot of fun on that bike, had a lot of close calls, dropped it at <1mph many times, went down with my girlfriend on the back at about 5-10mph once, and aside from a new stator after the wreck took the punishment pretty well. As I said before, I promised a friend I was going to sell it to him. He came up with the money, took the class, got his endorsement, and wrecked it within 2 weeks of owning it. I was actually riding with him, right here in my neighborhood. There's a hill that goes up about a half a mile, I rode out in front, got to the top and waited for about a minute. I noticed a car had stopped, and knew pretty much instantly he had probably dropped it. The car left as I turned around, so I figured at least he was ok. When I first saw him, it seemed possible that he had just dumped it and it was probably not too bad. The closer I got, however, the worse it looked. There was shattered plastic everywhere, and all the oil had bled out. He claims that the chain slipped and sent him into a 30 foot wheelie, which I really kind of doubt, but I'm no expert. It sounds to me like he was giving it too much throttle regardless of what was happening, but I think he slipped it into neutral rather than second from first and panicked.

Before: http://imgur.com/oNZnH
After: http://imgur.com/MhCCP

The loving idiot didn't have insurance on the bike yet, he is so drat lucky he didn't crash into anything other than the curb, and he didn't hurt himself. Just for the record, if I knew that he didn't have insurance I wouldn't have been riding around with him in the first place. He could have just as easily crashed into me at any point, and that's a risk I wouldn't knowingly take. Fortunately the bike is salvageable, and we have already put a fair bit of work into it. You can see in the after picture that the frame slider did the poo poo out of it's job, also the most expensive pieces of the fairings are trashed. The side fairing he can get away with doing what I did with the Ninjette, but the headlight assembly and front cowl are just smashed. We replaced the front brake handle including MC, rear brake lever assembly, and the oil pump cover, which had a chunk broken out of it and was the cause of the bleedout. After all that, with a new streetfighter headlight and some fresh oil, when we finally got it fired up there was a horrible knocking sound coming from within. I told him that's where my level of expertise ends, and he needed to get a pro. He finally got someone to look at it this weekend, they said it's a broken piston rod. Still salvageable, but that's gonna cost him a bit. So for now it sits, and we are full swing into riding season. Hope he learned a drat valuable lesson.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Are you kidding, that's how an EX500 SHOULD look! The whole point of them is to be able to drop a bike as much as you want without worrying about the fairings. :)

Nice bikes!

Silent Movie
Jul 23, 2007
Just bought this as of 20 minutes ago:

'86 Honda CMX450 Rebel.

MSF is in about 2 weeks for me, and I won't have my paws on the bike until midsummer. First thing I'm gonna do outside of a good cleaning/tune-up is to remove those tassels.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I hit a patch of gravel today on the buell...

It was rad.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I think I've been there with the ~*best bike ever*~. Which reservoir is that? Out in WA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Spada lake. More roads were open today than when I ventured up last time. I stupidly got stuck for a half hour or so... PR2s aren't good in soft wet stuff.

Also, best bike ever = buell Ulysses, right? RIGHT?