Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

morestuff posted:

I just watched The House on Haunted Hill and enjoyed it, despite its obvious flaws. Any suggestions for other William Castle movies (or similar) worth watching?

Have you seen Joe Dante's Matinee? It's about a William Castle-esque director (played by John Goodman!) who is premiering his latest picture: Mant!, filmed in Atomo-Vision. All of this is going on during the Cuban Missile Crisis, and it's just all around a fun film if you like the Caste persona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

morestuff posted:

I just watched The House on Haunted Hill and enjoyed it, despite its obvious flaws. Any suggestions for other William Castle movies (or similar) worth watching?

Haunted Hill is uncommonly fun and not much matches its ridiculous giddiness, but some come close:

Homicidal, The Tingler, I Saw What You Did, 13 Ghosts, and Strait-Jacket are all worth watching. Strait-Jacket is probably Castle's second best behind Haunted Hill.

The teen monster trilogy I Was a Teenage Werewolf/I Was a Teenage Frankenstein/How to Make a Monster is similar. So too Corman's crazyfun Edgar Allen Poe movies. And the '30s haunted house comedies might be up your alley - The Vampire Bat, The Old Dark House, The Black Cat.

Oh poo poo and gently caress yes Matinee owns.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I wish I'd seen more Joan Crawford because she totally is the perfect subject for SOTM.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wish I'd seen more Joan Crawford because she totally is the perfect subject for SOTM.

Same. We should have a Bette Davis/Joan Crawford thread.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Castle's best film far and away is Betrayed a.k.a. When Strangers Marry. I will second Homicidal.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I just watched Hackers and Johnny Mnemonic. Any other cheesy 90s ~cyberspace~ flicks out there? I stopped watching 13th Floor because... dunno, didn't captivate me.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

midnightclimax posted:

I just watched Hackers and Johnny Mnemonic. Any other cheesy 90s ~cyberspace~ flicks out there? I stopped watching 13th Floor because... dunno, didn't captivate me.

The Lawnmower Man is really cheesy (i.e., terrible).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Nirvana, starring Christopher Lambert, is probably the cheesiest cyberpunk movie I can think of off the top. Also, I don't care if it was made in 2006 or whatever, Babylon A.D. is a super 90's cyberpunkish movie.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

midnightclimax posted:

Plenty of cheese in the made-for-tv movie, Subliminal Seduction.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116319/

Starring a soap opera starlet and Ian Ziering from BH 90210.

In 1995, Sandra Bullock was caught in...The Net. More of a suspense/chase movie than cyber but plenty of eye-rollingly bad (and now, nostalgic) technobabble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46qKHq7REI4

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
also: Virtuosity has a VR serial killer creation that escapes into the real world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIFSYdGjTqw

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I've been looking for ages now for one related to the current subject, that has someone who invents a new 'virtual reality' game, and things go wrong in some way. I have it in my head it's a woman who invents it, and that it has something to do with the back of the neck, and there may be a famous actor in it, but for the life of me I cannot remember the title. I'm certain it's mid-nineties. Anyone?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
You might also want to check out Freejack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jlaE_8zcMU

Strange Days, directed by James Cameron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yaXPx6xWEQ

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I've been looking for ages now for one related to the current subject, that has someone who invents a new 'virtual reality' game, and things go wrong in some way. I have it in my head it's a woman who invents it, and that it has something to do with the back of the neck, and there may be a famous actor in it, but for the life of me I cannot remember the title. I'm certain it's mid-nineties. Anyone?
That would be David Cronenberg's eXistenZ, of course. With Jennifer Jason Leigh and Jude Law.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAdbdUt_h9M

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Uh, Strange Days is a Kathryn Bigelow movie. Cameron just produced it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Binary Logic posted:

That would be David Cronenberg's eXistenZ, of course. With Jennifer Jason Leigh and Jude Law.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAdbdUt_h9M

You absolute diamond. I love you for this; I can't tell you how frustrated I was getting attempting to find this film. I'm buying it right now and I bet it's much worse than I remember.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

In 1995, Sandra Bullock was caught in...The Net. More of a suspense/chase movie than cyber but plenty of eye-rollingly bad (and now, nostalgic) technobabble.

That movie'll always make me think of that Seinfeld line: "I saw a provocative movie the other day called The Net, starring the girl from The Bus."

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

stickyfngrdboy posted:

You absolute diamond. I love you for this; I can't tell you how frustrated I was getting attempting to find this film. I'm buying it right now and I bet it's much worse than I remember.

eXistenZ is pretty great, actually.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Can't go wrong with David Cronenberg, ever.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
One more pro-eXistenZ person here.

I find it ties in well with Dark City, The Matrix, and The 13th Floor -- a quartet of late-'90s sci-fi movies about technology run amok, forcing people to question the very nature of reality itself. They're all very different in how they go about addressing those elements, but they all do it. Dark City is my favorite of all of them, though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
One of my favourite films is the Station Agent. What else is there that has a similar balance of quiet ambience and drama? I watched Bagdad Café and liked that, too.

I like stories with a small scale and a focus on only a few characters.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 18, 2012

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
Just finished watching The Lincoln Lawyer and I really liked it, especially the courtroom scenes, and now I'm looking for another good law film. Anyone know another (really)good one?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

oscarthewilde posted:

Just finished watching The Lincoln Lawyer and I really liked it, especially the courtroom scenes, and now I'm looking for another good law film. Anyone know another (really)good one?

Every lawyer I know, myself included, has said My Cousin Vinney has the best, and probably the most accurate, movie courtroom scenes. More importantly, it is a fun movie.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
A Few Good Men

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
12 Angry Men and To Kill a Mockingbird

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
A Civil Action and Erin Brockavich are decent law movies based on true stories.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Any recommendations for older science fiction movies? I enjoy classic B-movies like "The Invisible Man" and "The Fly" and Netflix has been a valuable resource for these. Any great ones that I am missing out on? Thanks

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Check out the Flash Gordon serial from 1936. It's a lot of fun, and cool to see all the stuff George Lucas borrowed for Star Wars.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Xandoom posted:

Any recommendations for older science fiction movies? I enjoy classic B-movies like "The Invisible Man" and "The Fly" and Netflix has been a valuable resource for these. Any great ones that I am missing out on? Thanks

MY TIME HAS COME.

The Thing from Another World, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Them!, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and Forbidden Planet are the A-game '50s sci-fi essentials. Watch those first.

Try and hit some of the Ray Harryhausen films. 20 Million Miles to Earth is my favorite, but Beast from 20,000 Fathoms puts up a good fight too. Both of course are in the shadow of the almighty King Kong.

The Quatermass films are all great. I like the shorter cut of the third, Quatermass and the Pit, the most, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Uh I can do a paragraph for each of these, so in the interest of brevity I'm just gonna hit you with a mess of titles now:

Invaders from Mars, The Monster and the Girl, The Colossus of New York, The Incredible Shrinking Man, Island of Lost Souls, Lost Horizon, Godzilla, The Abominable Snowman, The Amazing Transparent Man, X - The Man with X-Ray Eyes, Dr. Cyclops, Caltiki the Immortal Monster, Earth vs. the Flying Saucers, Five, Tarantula, and The World the Flesh and the Devil.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

penismightier posted:

MY TIME HAS COME.
The Quatermass films are all great. I like the shorter cut of the third, Quatermass and the Pit, the most, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

I just wanna mention, as cool as this movie is, it's not available on dvd in the US under the Quatermass title - it was renamed "Five Million Years to Earth" over here, so you can find it under that title. I think all of the Quatermass movies got renamed over here, actually.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you, that's quite a lot of titles! Invasion of the Body Snatchers was excellent, I will be sure to check out the other ones.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
Since I don't have an unamswered reccomendation, I'll just skip to mine:

Recommend films to a guy who loves 50's to 90's asian movies.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Just "asian movies", huh? Any type of movie from any country that could be considered Asian?

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"

FitFortDanga posted:

Just "asian movies", huh? Any type of movie from any country that could be considered Asian?

I should have been more specific, sorry. Drama, thriller, slice of life or sci-fi from China, Korea or Japan.

Edit: and Vietnam

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

That's still a pretty wide berth, both throwing those countries into Criticker for 1950-1999 gives me:

Revenge of a Kabuki Actor (1963)
Seven Samurai (1954)
Red Beard (1965)
The Scent of Green Papaya (1993)
Ai no kawaki (1966)
Fires on the Plain (1959)
High and Low (1963)
Woman in the Dunes (1964)
Princess Mononoke (1997)
Qiu Ju da guan si (1992)
Ran (1985)
Fighting Elegy (1966)
Not One Less (1999)
Yojimbo (1961)
The Bad Sleep Well (1960)
The Face of Another (1966)
Sansho the Bailiff (1954)
Harakiri (1962)
In the Heat of the Sun (1994)
Sonatine (1993)
Ikiru (1952)
Kenju zankoku monogatari (1964)
Rashomon (1950)
Dodes'ka-den (1970)
Funeral Parade of Roses (1969)
The Human Condition I (1959)
Farewell My Concubine (1993)
Koruto wa ore no pasupoto (1967)
Naked Island (1960)
Postmen in the Mountains (1999)
Twenty-Four Eyes (1954)
Early Summer (1951)
Kuroi ame (1989)
Late Autumn (1960)
The Life of Oharu (1952)
The Burmese Harp (1956)
Street of Shame (1956)
Ugetsu (1953)
Branded to Kill (1967)
Giants and Toys (1958)
Kaette kita yopparai (1968)
Kwaidan (1964)
Only Yesterday (1991)
Whisper of the Heart (1995)
Akuma no temari-uta (1977)
A Geisha (1953)
Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
The Human Condition III (1961)
Nerawareta gakuen (1981)
Onibaba (1964)
Tokyo Story (1953)

That's just everything I've rated 85 or higher. Adding on Thailand, Taiwan and Hong Kong:

The Hole (1998)
6ixtynin9 (1999)
Eat Drink Man Woman (1994)
Chungking Express (1994)
The River (1997)
Vive L'amour (1994)

There are, of course, other countries that are "Asian", plus lots of great stuff in the 21st century.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

FitFortDanga posted:

That's still a pretty wide berth, both throwing those countries into Criticker for 1950-1999 gives me:

Revenge of a Kabuki Actor (1963)
Seven Samurai (1954)
Red Beard (1965)
The Scent of Green Papaya (1993)
Ai no kawaki (1966)
Fires on the Plain (1959)
High and Low (1963)
Woman in the Dunes (1964)
Princess Mononoke (1997)
Qiu Ju da guan si (1992)
Ran (1985)
Fighting Elegy (1966)
Not One Less (1999)
Yojimbo (1961)
The Bad Sleep Well (1960)
The Face of Another (1966)
Sansho the Bailiff (1954)
Harakiri (1962)
In the Heat of the Sun (1994)
Sonatine (1993)
Ikiru (1952)
Kenju zankoku monogatari (1964)
Rashomon (1950)
Dodes'ka-den (1970)
Funeral Parade of Roses (1969)
The Human Condition I (1959)
Farewell My Concubine (1993)
Koruto wa ore no pasupoto (1967)
Naked Island (1960)
Postmen in the Mountains (1999)
Twenty-Four Eyes (1954)
Early Summer (1951)
Kuroi ame (1989)
Late Autumn (1960)
The Life of Oharu (1952)
The Burmese Harp (1956)
Street of Shame (1956)
Ugetsu (1953)
Branded to Kill (1967)
Giants and Toys (1958)
Kaette kita yopparai (1968)
Kwaidan (1964)
Only Yesterday (1991)
Whisper of the Heart (1995)
Akuma no temari-uta (1977)
A Geisha (1953)
Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
The Human Condition III (1961)
Nerawareta gakuen (1981)
Onibaba (1964)
Tokyo Story (1953)

That's just everything I've rated 85 or higher. Adding on Thailand, Taiwan and Hong Kong:

The Hole (1998)
6ixtynin9 (1999)
Eat Drink Man Woman (1994)
Chungking Express (1994)
The River (1997)
Vive L'amour (1994)

There are, of course, other countries that are "Asian", plus lots of great stuff in the 21st century.

Thank you very much. I know there is great stuff in the modern day but there is something charming about those old movies. Thanks again :)

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
What are some good films that prominently feature Harry Dean Stanton, beside Paris, Texas and his work with Lynch?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

escape artist posted:

What are some good films that prominently feature Harry Dean Stanton, beside Paris, Texas and his work with Lynch?

Repo Man!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

escape artist posted:

Escape from New York and Alien, of course, and Two-Lane Blacktop doesn't feature him prominently but you do get to see him try and give Warren Oates a handjob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

escape artist posted:

Dilinger (the 70's version)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069976/fullcredits#cast

• Locked thread