Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I feel sad that I can't excuse myself to go to a special meeting... of the government, because nobody will get the joke.

Though now that I look back at what episode that's from, maybe it's for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FISHMANPET posted:

I feel sad that I can't excuse myself to go to a special meeting... of the government, because nobody will get the joke.

I used that all the time when working on a campaign.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

It's nice when we can do something for prostitutes every once in a while.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hobo Erotica posted:

It's nice when we can do something for prostitutes every once in a while.

My campaign was in Las Vegas so that got used too. :v:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Grand Fromage posted:

My campaign was in Las Vegas so that got used too. :v:
I can't even imagine how many city council and state senator campaigns are stealing lines and ideas The West Wing on a daily basis.

As much as I love, love, love this show, god the over the top is so bad.

Leo: We just formed it.
Toby: Formed what?
Leo: The Committee to Reelect the President.

Also

Josh: I serve at the pleasure of the President of the United States.
CJ: I serve at the pleasure of the President.
Sam: I serve at the pleasure of President Bartlet.
Toby: I serve at the pleasure of the President.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can't even imagine how many city council and state senator campaigns are stealing lines and ideas The West Wing on a daily basis.

If only any of them were smart enough to.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We never took any ideas (House, not state level) but the lines definitely flew around when appropriate.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Plucky Brit posted:

It may be my ignorance, but did Paul Revere really make carving knives? My impression was that he was too good a silversmith to bother with something like that.

Also I'm just going say once again that I despise John Marbury and I'd like to punch whoever wrote him in as a character. West Wing was never too good at realistic portrayals of other nations, but as a Brit Marbury was the worst by a long way.

I'd imagine in those days most things a silver smith was doing was probably a custom order to begin with, with candle sticks, tea service and eating utensils(including carving knives) being the standard fare.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

On a small level, that scene is hilarious, because when he's done, he says "Toby. That's how I beat him." Essentially, he has just decimated this woman infront of all of her peers, just to show someone how he won a school board election. I love that.

Nitpicking, but I just saw this episode, and he didn't do it to show Toby how he won. In the scene before Toby asked how he did it and he says "I honestly can't remember". He did it, and that reminded him of how he won, so he's like 'Oh yeah, Toby, that's how I did it'.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can mostly look past the cheesiness of the first season, except for this scene. It makes me cringe, it's almost comical. It's like that scene in Spiderman 3 where he lands in front of the American flag.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The college girls asking for Josh's signature is pretty bad too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Joementum posted:

The college girls asking for Josh's signature is pretty bad too.
If you were a Florida State undergrad, you're going to tell me you wouldn't ask for his signature if you came across him in a deli? :colbert:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
List of people who know the current deputy chief of staff's name who do not work in the White House and are not employed by the Washington Post

1. the guy who put it on Wikipedia

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Are you telling me that you wouldn't recognize Nancy-Ann DeParle? :monocle:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

List of people who know the current deputy chief of staff's name who do not work in the White House and are not employed by the Washington Post

1. the guy who put it on Wikipedia
Right now is a different situation. The scene described is more akin to Rahm Emmanuel holding the post in 2010.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Josh Lyman posted:

Right now is a different situation. The scene described is more akin to Rahm Emmanuel holding the post in 2010.

Rahm was not the deputy chief of staff in 2010.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Still, it seems Josh has a pretty high profile compared to Nancy-Ann Deparle. He is described as the 101st senator, so its not completely outrageous that political science students with an interest in Washington politics knows who he is.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Joementum posted:

:doh: Yeah, I guess deputy chief of staff is a different matter.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Take your legislative agenda and shove it up your rear end!

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOzG1W4eYPo

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I'd be into the Deputy Deputy Chief of Staff.

:swoon: Donnatella

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

There are multiple Deputy COS' in the Obama administration.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

JerkyBunion posted:

I think most administrations have a bunch of deputies.

Their actual job titles are quite loose in the WW, they change a lot to serve the plot. CJ is the press secretary, she would take much more instruction from the Director of Communications, but it's never presented that way. Toby basically does the same job as Josh in the show, other than every so often a plot point about script writing comes up. Josh is basically the deputy CoS for plicy, Toby is the deputy CoS for communications. Sam is the same, a deputy communications director would have nothing to do with half the meetings he ends up having.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I think from 17 People (Toby figures out the MS) to the end of the second season is the best run of the show. I miss this show :(

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

JerkyBunion posted:

Yeah, I went with the Deputy CoS for Policy, which is closest to Josh's role. There's also a Deputy CoS for Operations, which was created when Daley came on board, I think. Daley was handling Congressional relations (policy) while Rouse handled West Wing staff coordination (operations), mostly because none of Obama's staff liked Daley at all.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

As much as I love, love, love this show, god the over the top is so bad.

Leo: We just formed it.
Toby: Formed what?
Leo: The Committee to Reelect the President.

Also

The end of the Midterms is agonising to watch. To quote Wikipedia:

quote:

Apparently turning their attention to the rights of hate groups, such as the one responsible for Josh's shooting, the staffers marvel at the notion that a democracy protects the rights of those who would destroy it. They consider the notion then respond with the refrain, "God bless America."
I wonder if Anwar al-Awlaki or his son were fans of the show.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Holy crap, I just noticed this show won 26 Emmy awards. Is that normal, even for a 7-season show??
e: maybe that's a dumb question, obviously this isn't a 'normal' show but still seems a heck of a lot. More than 3 a season.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 7, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Joementum posted:

No, but it's like knowing who Rahm was in 96. Which was known well enough to actually inspire Josh's character.

I'm just beginning to watch Season 4 again, and you get to the scene where Charlie refuses to explain the details of Separation of Church and State to his Little Brother, and makes him study the Constitution. The dude then writes Charlie an angry letter on the back of the first amendment.

I know freedom of religion is in the first, but isn't the Separation of Church and State spelled out in one of the ancillary letters Jefferson wrote, not the Consitution?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know freedom of religion is in the first, but isn't the Separation of Church and State spelled out in one of the ancillary letters Jefferson wrote, not the Consitution?

Why don't you look it up?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm just beginning to watch Season 4 again, and you get to the scene where Charlie refuses to explain the details of Separation of Church and State to his Little Brother, and makes him study the Constitution. The dude then writes Charlie an angry letter on the back of the first amendment.

The First Amendment says that Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion. That spells out separation of church and state at least implicitly.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I just started my second run through the whole series. It's really incredible how well the show holds up on multiple views. I guess that IS one of the perks of not being to heavily serialized and not relying on cliffhangers too much.

I'm kinda surprised to see that they kept Mandy until the end of the first season, I was totally sure that she was gone after ten or eleven episodes. Knowing that she'll disappear, I have kinda softened to her character. I hated her when I watched the show for the first time, and her horrible introduction scene made me cringe even harder this time around.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I got linked this when I woke up:

... and had to go watch the episode (S3: Gone Quiet) for context.

Now I think I need to watch the whole of series 3. Again.

Why is this show so immensely re-watchable?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Khablam posted:

I got linked this when I woke up:

"Ya lost yer boat in the wrong part of the world, Mr. President."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
"Why do you want to be President?"

"I don't."

"Well we'll put that in a hopper and show you a draft."

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Charlie, could you have someone bring some Schweppes' Bitter Lemon and the Constitutional Order of Succession, please?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

"Ya lost yer boat in the wrong part of the world, Mr. President."

McNally: "Mr. President, submariners understand that if they sink it won't be a rescue, it'll be a recovery. They measure risk and rewards not just in terms of their own lives, but in terms of national interest"

Bartlet: "Well, that's great. I assess the national interest by the number of people alive, not dead"

drat, I love any episode that has Nancy doing her thing.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Khablam posted:

McNally: "Mr. President, submariners understand that if they sink it won't be a rescue, it'll be a recovery. They measure risk and rewards not just in terms of their own lives, but in terms of national interest"

Bartlet: "Well, that's great. I assess the national interest by the number of people alive, not dead"

drat, I love any episode that has Nancy doing her thing.

Admiral Sissy Mary.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I love CJ and Nancy's dialog in the episode where a Georgian ambassador offers CJ some weapons-grade uranium.

CJ: It's just sitting there behind what he's describing as an excellent padlock.
Nancy: It's a miracle nobody's boosted it yet.
CJ: The Russians don't guard this stuff?
Nancy: They gave 'em the padlock.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
The best thing about the Hal Holbrook/missing sub thing was how Hugh Laurie ripped it off for Commander-in-Chief

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He made me want to try a Schweppes Bitter Lemon but I couldn't find it anywhere. Also nobody heard of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

He made me want to try a Schweppes Bitter Lemon but I couldn't find it anywhere. Also nobody heard of it.

I found this from a google search, but it was an ad I clicked on. I left the referral link in there because why not. Although $14 and change is likely not what you'll want to spend for a 1.5L bottle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LRIHOI...sl_15rdru5ra6_b

• Locked thread