Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

datajosh posted:

Yes, apparently so! Guess I have to find a loving alternative, thanks Google!

This is the most hosed up thing ever. Thanks a lot Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Leathal posted:

Just a heads up:

Google Music apparently only lets you deauthorize four devices a year now. And since it considers each time you flash a rom as being a totally different device...well you can see where I'm going with this.

It looks like I won't be able to use Google Music for at least a year now on my phone.

gently caress this poo poo. It's bad enough that data wipes count as a new device forcing me to deauthorize from time to time, but now this?

Looks like it's Amazon for me in the new future.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Leathal posted:

Just a heads up:

Google Music apparently only lets you deauthorize four devices a year now. And since it considers each time you flash a rom as being a totally different device...well you can see where I'm going with this.

It looks like I won't be able to use Google Music for at least a year now on my phone.

Is it because of device name fuckery in the the build.prop maybe? I've not used google music ever but used to have multiple devices showing in market and some market problems due to rom makers all doing some different variation of the device name. Nowadays when I try a rom I edit the name to be the same as it was on the stock rom before I sign in to google.

edit: oh maybe there's more to it than that, seeing the post above me saying a data wipe needs a de-auth as well. But still, if you keep the device name the same between roms and would use titanium to restore music's data, how could they tell?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 16, 2012

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Wagonburner posted:

Is it because of device name fuckery in the the build.prop maybe? I've not used google music ever but used to have multiple devices showing in market and some market problems due to rom makers all doing some different variation of the device name. Nowadays when I try a rom I edit the name to be the same as it was on the stock rom before I sign in to google.

edit: oh maybe there's more to it than that, seeing the post above me saying a data wipe needs a de-auth as well. But still, if you keep the device name the same between roms and would use titanium to restore music's data, how could they tell?

If you use Titanium and restore Google Music+data it doesn't count as a new device.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does any of this apply to doing a factory reset and then having to reauthorize Google Music on your device? I've had to do that at least twice, I believe.

e: Apparently, I have 6 versions of my phone on here plus my computer. Probably shouldn't touch any of them because I don't know which is my device in usage now or not.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is there a way to restrict access to my contact list and call history, but still update an app? Increasingly, apps of all types are starting to require these permissions so I'm sitting on a dozen update requests.

Sorry if this is a common topic, but I didn't see it in the OP or the last few pages.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does any of this apply to doing a factory reset and then having to reauthorize Google Music on your device? I've had to do that at least twice, I believe.

e: Apparently, I have 6 versions of my phone on here plus my computer. Probably shouldn't touch any of them because I don't know which is my device in usage now or not.

And to add further confusion, I've switched ROMs on my Evo 4G three or four times (stock rooted, Fresh, CM7, Fresh again, CM7 now,) and had Google Music on at least the last two ROMs, and I only have a listing for two instances of "Android Device"...one activated in July 9th, 2011, the other on July 16, 2011...

Even though the last time I flashed a new ROM and installed Google Music was much more recent than that, and since I switched ROMs, I didn't restore with Titanium Backup...so I didn't get a new listing for each ROM.

And this all seems to go against what the help page says about devices...

quote:

We may record device identifiers including your computer's MAC address or device identifiers such as IMEI or MEID for mobile devices in order to:

If they really are using the IMEI/MEID, then the ROM shouldn't matter, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DrBouvenstein posted:

If they really are using the IMEI/MEID, then the ROM shouldn't matter, right?

They obviously aren't as I have a new device listed for every time I did a factory wipe, even without changing anything about my device's operating system.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
As I recall, every wipe creates a new device id number which is based on your imei but is random.... guessing a hash. Mostly on the assumption of device bring sold or gifted to new owners getting new ids for marketing tracking. At least that's what I remember reading.

This is what apps are meant to track but don't always do.

ARE THOSE MY SPERMS
Sep 22, 2008

:f5h::allears::fh:
Loves You
is there a videochat app that works with iphone's facetime? What I've tried seems to not work..

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

odiv posted:

Is there a way to restrict access to my contact list and call history, but still update an app? Increasingly, apps of all types are starting to require these permissions so I'm sitting on a dozen update requests.

Sorry if this is a common topic, but I didn't see it in the OP or the last few pages.

Cyanogenod (and possibly other roms) allows you to disable all permissions an app wants. Depending on how the app is coded it will either crash, refuse to work or carry on without that permission.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
There's always LBE Privacy Guard.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
I currently use JuiceDefender free on my Nexus S 4G but it's not really working the way it did when I had my Evo 4G. I'm not sure if it's because it's not compatible with ICS or what though. With that said, should I purchase the Ultimate program or look into a different one? Is there anything out there that's better? I just want something that will work well on my phone. Thanks.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I'd really like a music player that can access my Google music account but has a much better looking widget and functional interface than Play. Bonus points if it has lock screen controls. Any options?

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I assume you aren't running an ICS ROM on your MT4G?

I am not, everything is stock (I tried rooting it once before and hosed it up and decided I'm fine with stock unless and until there's an indepth walkthrough for my phone).
But my problem seems to have cleared itself up. I'm pretty sure it was an app that was causing all this (some alarm app that an Android blog recommended, I'm led to believe this because there was an update ready when I went to delete it that said something like "Fixed home issues"), I deleted it and it happened at least once more but since last night it's been fine.

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell
Is there a decent Instapaper app for Android?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Mr. Fish posted:

Papermill http://www.papermill.me/

elzi
May 3, 2012
Downtown ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.archetyping.downtown ) is a pretty awesome Dribbble app. Needs more work still but design is great, despite not following holo guidelines. (sorry if this had been posted, can't search at the moment)

SS: http://www.imgur.com/gf5cG.jpg

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Teeter posted:

I'd really like a music player that can access my Google music account but has a much better looking widget and functional interface than Play. Bonus points if it has lock screen controls. Any options?

DoubleTwist has lock screen controls on my One X, but it can only access Google Music files that have been cached.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Google opened up the device limit for Google Music for the time being. Now's your chance to get rid of your similarily named devices.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm looking for an IM app that looks nice and works well on ICS. I'm going to be on the road all day tomorrow and half on Friday via Greyhound and I'd like something that won't murder my battery like Trillian has in the past.

I've been looking at IM+. Is that pretty good?

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'd like something that won't murder my battery like Trillian has in the past.

My preferred solution is to use Google Talk for everything:
http://goondroid.com/gtalk-and-transports

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Tasker seems amazing but I'm a little overwhelmed by the possibilities.

Any personal examples of how you use it?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

gmq posted:

Tasker seems amazing but I'm a little overwhelmed by the possibilities.

Any personal examples of how you use it?

You might be interested in this thread: Tasker - Your Android Automation Application.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So is there a good video player available that can handle subtitles? I've already tried a couple, including DoubleTwist, and I can't find a subtitle option on any of them.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

So as best as I can tell, native custom wallpaper support blows. What app is best at replacing the lovely wallpaper crop tool? Willing to pay.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

TetsuoTW posted:

So is there a good video player available that can handle subtitles? I've already tried a couple, including DoubleTwist, and I can't find a subtitle option on any of them.

MX Player does subtitles. It also kicks rear end and is free.

Geekner posted:

So as best as I can tell, native custom wallpaper support blows. What app is best at replacing the lovely wallpaper crop tool? Willing to pay.

Have you tried Zedge? Can't remember if it crops.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
People recommend MX Player a lot, and for the files it will play the subs are good. However, it won't play about 60-70% of the (non-.mkv) content on the internet.

And yes, I've tried all the available codecs on multiple Android devices. All the files I have are .avi, and VitalPlayer for example will play every one of them (but doesn't do subs). MX Player will just grey out and skip a lot of the same files when I try to open them. I contacted the dev about it and never heard anything; it would be nice to know why it happens at least.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
That's weird, it's played all the avi files I've tried so far (not very many to be fair).

VitalPlayer looks good though, I'll install that as a back up.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Not sure if it's been mentioned before but solid explorer is amazing. Now my favourite file manager.

It's currently still beta but very solid already.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solid.explorer

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but solid explorer is amazing. Now my favourite file manager.

It's currently still beta but very solid already.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solid.explorer

Nice, I'm checking this out and it seems pretty awesome. Icons are bit large for my taste though.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Mr. Fish posted:

Pocket is a similar service that's free, if you're looking for something similar to Instapaper, but don't want to pay the monthly fee for the real deal.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

XIII posted:

So, what's the goon favorite app for making photo collages like the ones you see all over Instagram?

Still searching for this.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

iluvpr0n posted:

Pocket is a similar service that's free, if you're looking for something similar to Instapaper, but don't want to pay the monthly fee for the real deal.

Pocket (as Read-It-Later) actually came before Instapaper (I mean to say it is the real deal). It is a great service, I'd definitely give it a shot over 3rd party Instapaper clients on Android.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

I picked up a Xoom today for relatively cheap and noticed on a few apps I'm not getting the tablet UI (most notably Facebook and Twitter). Everything is completely up to date, tried clearing data for apps and all that jazz to no avail. Is there anything else I can try?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Facebook and Twitter apps on Android don't have a tablet UI. Welcome to Android :allears:

(I use Plume for twitter, still looking for something for facebook since Friendcaster is ugly as hell)

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Kazy posted:

Facebook and Twitter apps on Android don't have a tablet UI. Welcome to Android :allears:

(I use Plume for twitter, still looking for something for facebook since Friendcaster is ugly as hell)

Ah, that makes more sense. Oddly enough I have more features on my Atrix- it lets me see timeline/full profiles. I guess I'll just search for an alternative, thanks!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I downloaded the Swiftkey 3 beta the other day and it seems like a welcome improvement, but what the hell is up with the swipe to delete function? It doesn't work nearly as well as it did before and there doesn't seem to be anything in the settings like in X. Anybody have any tips for this? This one downside ruins it completely and I will not make the change from X if there's no way to work around it

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just learned of a new Homescreen/Launcher that is being developed. It's called Chameleon(http://chameleon.teknision.com/) and it looks awesome. It looks just like what Android needs if it could get an OEM backer. I love the style and customizability. Recently, they made a Kickstarter to determine if there is even a market for Chameleon.

They're looking for $50,000 to test the waters and a minimum of $5 will get you the app when it's released.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gaborvida/chameleon-a-better-home-screen-for-your-android-ta/posts

Edit: As indicated on by the first post on the next page this is only meant for Tablets.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

SlayVus posted:

I just learned of a new Homescreen/Launcher that is being developed. It's called Chameleon(http://chameleon.teknision.com/) and it looks awesome. It looks just like what Android needs if it could get an OEM backer. I love the style and customizability. Recently, they made a Kickstarter to determine if there is even a market for Chameleon.

They're looking for $50,000 to test the waters and a minimum of $5 will get you the app when it's released.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gaborvida/chameleon-a-better-home-screen-for-your-android-ta/posts

That is pretty.

• Locked thread