Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I tend to just use a decent 2K for paint finishes on trucks. I've just done a fully body respray on a friends LR ninety, with a few decent coats it holds up and adheres well. Yes it can look a bit tired with scratches in it, but you can coloursand out if you want or paint over, or just leave it, if it doesn't go down to metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just got a used 11,000lb Pull-Pal with carrying case for £55 delivered. Awesome.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

I'm thinking about buying a Series II (probably 2003) Discovery as an off-road/winter beater. They're pretty cheap. I know all about Land Rover reliability, but the 2003 looks like it had most of the problems fixed. Is this a retarded idea?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Our Gay Apparel posted:

I'm thinking about buying a Series II (probably 2003) Discovery as an off-road/winter beater. They're pretty cheap. I know all about Land Rover reliability, but the 2003 looks like it had most of the problems fixed. Is this a retarded idea?
We've got a Rover thread now, actually:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3478992
Note the thread title.

Bear in mind that there's a good chance a 2003 won't have a difflock in the transfer case, whereas earlier ones just ditched the linkage and left the internals in place. I believe they were reinstated when they changed the headlight design for the 2004 model.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Our Gay Apparel posted:

Yes. That is literally the worst year you could possibly choose. Oil pump failures and no center differential lock on most of them, coupled with the same old same old DII block and sleeve issues that were exacerbated by tired end-of-life tooling and lack of any sort of quality control under BMW at the time.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
I've loved the Toyota Hilux ever since I saw the Top Gear segment where they tried to destroy one. I probably think it's cooler than it is because I can't get it here in the USA. I was looking at the prices of the stripped down Hilux Workmate 4x4 double cab and it's over $40,000 USD. What's going on here? And the difference between the 4x4 and 4x2 model is over $10,000. Can someone explain to me the extremely high price of the barest model as well as how going from 4x2 to 4x4 costs almost as much new (cheap) car?

edit: These are the australian prices converted to US dollar; the exchange rate is almost 1:1 right now anyway. Are they cheaper elsewhere?

hummingbird hoedown fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 18, 2012

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Hello AI!

I just bought this for 500 whole American Dollars:

It is worth exactly what I paid for it, but I wanted a four wheel drive project/camping car and certainly got it! :D The guy I bought it from was the second owner, had it since '92.

188k miles, valve cover gasket is shot and the carb needs rebuilding, but seems pretty solid otherwise. I think those Toyos on there are worth more than I paid for the whole thing. The driver's seat is hammered but the back bench is immaculate. I figure the bucket seats aren't anything a trip to the Pick a Part can't take care of. :)

I was thinking how horrible it looks, and now that I've been reminded by this thread that painting with bedliner is a thing, I'm considering it pretty heavily.

eta wrong preposition; word usage

It's a pile, but the price was right. And I love the windows :shobon: Yeah I'm a girl, OK?
\/\/

remote control carnivore fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 18, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
it's the B-2 bomber!

A friend of mine would be extremely jealous of you for that. He loves the loving things for some reason.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Never pass up a $500 running 4x4.

I still regret not getting a co-workers jeep cherokee sport for $500, it needed a head gasket, and that was it, it's the drat 4.0L, easy to fix. Ah well.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Geared Hub posted:

Never pass up a $500 running 4x4.

I still regret not getting a co-workers jeep cherokee sport for $500, it needed a head gasket, and that was it, it's the drat 4.0L, easy to fix. Ah well.

I should smack you.

Around here, if its a 4x4, runs decently, and is not a rust bucket, it is automatically worth 2500.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
I am looking at 75-77 Ford F250 4x4 'Highboy's lately, and wondering if anybody has any advice or experience. I see quite a few with 460's on craiglist, but i was under the impression that the 460 was not an original option. Is it going to be as awesome as I think, or will I be severely disappointed.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I am looking at 3 very different type of 4x4 in Australia, so far I am looking at these:

One
Two
Three

What do you folks think? I am tossing up between it being for offroad ONLY or for it to take over towcar duties as well (so will need to tow a 180sx+trailer).

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 19, 2012

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

EvilElmo posted:

I am looking at 3 very different type of 4x4 in Australia, so far I am looking at these:

One
Two
Three

What do you folks think? I am tossing up between it being for offroad ONLY or for it to take over towcar duties as well (so will need to tow a 180sx+trailer).

The 80 Series is a good bus, a lot tougher then the others listed.

If you want to go extreme, a Patrol is a better base. LS1 swapped GU's are becoming a very popular conversion and good fun.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

If your towing a decent weight trailer, then the 80 series really is the only one to go for- Its got the ability to tow the weight (bout 2.5T legally)

its also the best offroad out of the lot- Solid axles and coils on all 4 corners beat the pants off IFS any day.

The only trap with the early HDJ80's is that the big end bearings MUST be replaced from the factory ones- If its got low oil pressure, chances are your up for new BEB's as soon as you get it into your posession, because when they fail, they are a MASSIVE failure- Piston hits the bottom of the head, the conrod gets trashed, the crank gets thrashed, and its a full engine out and rebuild job- I just did one that failed not long ago.

If that 80 series has had the BEB's done at least once in its life (most guys do em every 100K to be safe because some aftermarket ones have failed too) then its not a bad deal, got a lot of fruit on it- the ARB lockers alone are nearly $6K

The prado isnt too bad, tho they are fairly fragile in the drivetrain- my old man owns one and its had a lot of repairs after a fairly hard life.

The surfs a bit of a oddity- its a grey import so MOST things you can either get from a 4runner or a hilux, but some parts are model specific and that means paying toyota prices and waiting weeks for delivery.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

pazrs posted:

The 80 Series is a good bus, a lot tougher then the others listed.

If you want to go extreme, a Patrol is a better base. LS1 swapped GU's are becoming a very popular conversion and good fun.

Not many options with the Nissan Patrol in Canberra. Not many options for cars in general really, but a lot easier to buy local than from another state.

Ferremit posted:

If your towing a decent weight trailer, then the 80 series really is the only one to go for- Its got the ability to tow the weight (bout 2.5T legally)

its also the best offroad out of the lot- Solid axles and coils on all 4 corners beat the pants off IFS any day.

The only trap with the early HDJ80's is that the big end bearings MUST be replaced from the factory ones- If its got low oil pressure, chances are your up for new BEB's as soon as you get it into your posession, because when they fail, they are a MASSIVE failure- Piston hits the bottom of the head, the conrod gets trashed, the crank gets thrashed, and its a full engine out and rebuild job- I just did one that failed not long ago.

If that 80 series has had the BEB's done at least once in its life (most guys do em every 100K to be safe because some aftermarket ones have failed too) then its not a bad deal, got a lot of fruit on it- the ARB lockers alone are nearly $6K

The prado isnt too bad, tho they are fairly fragile in the drivetrain- my old man owns one and its had a lot of repairs after a fairly hard life.

The surfs a bit of a oddity- its a grey import so MOST things you can either get from a 4runner or a hilux, but some parts are model specific and that means paying toyota prices and waiting weeks for delivery.

I think I will only need to tow 1.8-2T at max. I am mainly going after the diesel because of fuel efficiency when towing. The landcruisers chew through it will the petrol. 22L average, a bit too much for me really. I've heard the diesels are better for towing, and I don't want to turn to gas since I want to be able to take it offroad a decent distance and gas doesn't really give me that option.

I'll find out about the BEB's. Question, is a 4x4 with all the fruit be a good beginning option? Or am I better to get cheaper and go from there?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Cross posting from el-Jeep thread:

Went for a drive last Sunday. Hit some Jeep trails I hadn't been on before and talked myself into buying a winch. I go solo a lot so having that extra insurance against getting stuck is going to be a huge plus. Here's some pics:

Pretty steep as you clearly can't tell

This was a 40 degree slope of loose sand and rocks that I chose not to tackle for fear of having to back all the way back down. Again, decisions erring on the conservative side due to solo travel.

Just a trail shot

View of the Stuart Range

Roadblock that I jammed over

Roadblock that I didn't jam over. The snow continued on way up the road and I didn't feel like getting stuck.

shootme
Dec 29, 2001

Excuse me, where can I find Hevi-Shot?
wondered where this thread went.

Some pics from a local mud bog a couple weeks ago.

more here
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh224/beaniamyota/2012%20new%20egypt/

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Save me jeebus posted:

Hello AI!

I just bought this for 500 whole American Dollars:

They're fun and capable, owned one new, just don't break the back glass. That curved glass is awesome until it breaks.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Braincloud posted:

Cross posting from el-Jeep thread:

Went for a drive last Sunday. Hit some Jeep trails I hadn't been on before and talked myself into buying a winch. I go solo a lot so having that extra insurance against getting stuck is going to be a huge plus. Here's some pics:

Pretty steep as you clearly can't tell

This was a 40 degree slope of loose sand and rocks that I chose not to tackle for fear of having to back all the way back down. Again, decisions erring on the conservative side due to solo travel.

Just a trail shot

View of the Stuart Range

Roadblock that I jammed over

Roadblock that I didn't jam over. The snow continued on way up the road and I didn't feel like getting stuck.

Man I love the pacific northwest. Once you get out of the cities, it's the most beautiful country.

I can't wait to get my XJ back to the cascades to do some camping this summer.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 7, 2012

Agrocrag
Oct 22, 2004

True love at last
Are the old geo tracker and suzuki samurai 4x4s decent? I want a smallish truck that can do light off roading and not break the bank. The only problem is finding one in decent shape, as I know nothing about working on cars.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Agrocrag posted:

Are the old geo tracker and suzuki samurai 4x4s decent? I want a smallish truck that can do light off roading and not break the bank. The only problem is finding one in decent shape, as I know nothing about working on cars.

Well it did pretty well on Top Gear in Bolivia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear:_Bolivia_Special

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Agrocrag posted:

I don't know so much about the tracker, but the Samurai is very sought after for a good trail vehicle. Those things are awesome.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Doccers posted:

I don't know so much about the tracker, but the Samurai is very sought after for a good trail vehicle. Those things are awesome.

My folks used to have a sidekick and it was some of the most fun i've had in a car. It drove over curbs and could navigate ATV trails like no other. It didnt have a lot of power but given its weight, it didnt really need it.

Oh yeah and:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471279&pagenumber=9#post404350988

crosspost from the NEAI thread. In a couple months, we're going to try to do some off-roading in Southern Maine and probably some camping etc. If you're interested, I'll be posting updates in the thread.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 7, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Tracker/Vitara/Geo has a coil live axle out back, and torsion IFS up front. It's pretty good, though some people find the front diffs to be weak when subjected to larger tyres and/or rough use.

The SJs are proper trucks, just half-scale. If you want something that you can treat like a forties Jeep and not have to worry about much (other than body corrosion), they're just what you need, but they are not exactly refined on the road. Hard to find decent ones at a sensible price though.

A more left-field choice is the SWB Isuzu Amigo. I owned the UK equivalent, a Vauxhall Frontera Sport, and while the build quality wasn't so hot (that'll be the Vauxhall half), it was still a respectable truck off-road. Again, torsion IFS, and either leaf or coil rear depending on age.

If this is for an off-road toy, and you can find an ok SJ, you won't regret it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
More old iron exercising happened last weekend. Somewhere there is a video of me climbing this hill and I'm pretty sure you can see the front grill of the Scout in the action despite the video being shot from the bottom of the hill. It was pretty steep.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
This weekend a friend and I had a good run down the country doing some lanes on the way.

No major breakages fortunately, although the red 90's drivers door has decided to stay permanently closed (possibly due to the window jumping out of its' runner.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Ohhh my.. they make them big in Texas...

:stare:

http://www.grandprairieford.com/fleet/f-554-extreme.htm

Would make a nice off road RV. Trying to figure out the changes they made to the standard F550.

We got a motorhome/tool truck F550 for the race team. It looks like they slapped on hutchinson rims with 42" tires to get the beadlocks/runflat. But I'm wondering how they did the brakes and CTIS if they went with a geared hub or portal axle setup or not.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Geared Hub posted:

Ohhh my.. they make them big in Texas...

:stare:

http://www.grandprairieford.com/fleet/f-554-extreme.htm

Would make a nice off road RV. Trying to figure out the changes they made to the standard F550.

We got a motorhome/tool truck F550 for the race team. It looks like they slapped on hutchinson rims with 42" tires to get the beadlocks/runflat. But I'm wondering how they did the brakes and CTIS if they went with a geared hub or portal axle setup or not.

I think its standard Dana 80 hubs, full floating axles, the "planetary" refers to the radial mount for the extra brake calipers. Says its for replacement of the H1 and the Unimog U300. I don't think its a replacement for either but its certainly a cool vehicle.

U300 is a implement carrier. Not really built for the same uses as a truck chassis.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Toucan Sam posted:

They're fun and capable, owned one new, just don't break the back glass. That curved glass is awesome until it breaks.

Yeah those windows cost more than I paid for the drat thing. I also probably need a new rear gate. The one that is on there got damaged around where the spare tire bracket is and the previous owner did a crap fiberglass patch job. Right now I've got the back seats down so I can haul the spare in back. Removing the spare sure improved the road noise, though! :D

I think about $1,000.00 in it will make it decent. Not awesome, but decent. I get to put a new valve cover gasket on next weekend, which will be fun because it's the most serious automotive repair I've handled on my own (e: don't laugh, goons :colbert:). Then comes body work and getting the seats reupholstered. I'm on the fence re: canvas vs. neoprene.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

jonathan posted:

I think its standard Dana 80 hubs, full floating axles, the "planetary" refers to the radial mount for the extra brake calipers. Says its for replacement of the H1 and the Unimog U300. I don't think its a replacement for either but its certainly a cool vehicle.

U300 is a implement carrier. Not really built for the same uses as a truck chassis.

I got the dealer to send me a few high res pictures after complaining about the lack of good pictures on their site.

I'm a bit less impressed, it's a dealer modified appearance package on a F550, it's neat how they did the CTI system, but other than that and the Hutchinson beadlocks there's nothing really out of control about it.

They tapped one of the hub studs for an airline hole and ran a CTI line through there.

That's actually a pretty smart way to avoid a through the hub CTI line setup that's on most miltiary trucks, hummers and stuff like the Mertior/wabco CTI system for big rigs.

Question is what's the other side like, I'm guessing there's a custom hub/spindle in play with an air channel bored out.

On the hummer you got a center hub port, that runs right through the spindle. At the end it opens up into the hub and bearings, there's a small steel tube that mates with the spindle end and connects to a rubber seal on the geared hub casing that's static in relation to wheel spin. That's where you secure your airline.

They must be doing something similar, which begs the question, if they had to modify the hub/axle for an air channel to begin with, why not just bore the center of the hub than the bolt? Maybe the hub sticks out too much, and they wanted to keep the airline tucked inside the beadlocks. Got to check with Hutchinson to see if it's a setup they sell..

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 9, 2012

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

InitialDave posted:

The Tracker/Vitara/Geo has a coil live axle out back, and torsion IFS up front. It's pretty good, though some people find the front diffs to be weak when subjected to larger tyres and/or rough use.

The SJs are proper trucks, just half-scale. If you want something that you can treat like a forties Jeep and not have to worry about much (other than body corrosion), they're just what you need, but they are not exactly refined on the road. Hard to find decent ones at a sensible price though.

A more left-field choice is the SWB Isuzu Amigo. I owned the UK equivalent, a Vauxhall Frontera Sport, and while the build quality wasn't so hot (that'll be the Vauxhall half), it was still a respectable truck off-road. Again, torsion IFS, and either leaf or coil rear depending on age.

If this is for an off-road toy, and you can find an ok SJ, you won't regret it.

I have absolutely NFI what the US got in reference to the Vitara, but in AU the vitara has coilover IFS up front/Solid axle coils rear. You can get stupid with them (mate had one that was briefly running 33" Mud Terrains) but they can be extremely capable little trucks if you spend the time and money on them.

My cousins built this thing (affectionately known as the silver princess, or Barbies first fourby) and its pretty specced out- 2" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, 31" Wrangler MT/R's, Twin ARB diff lockers, barwork etc, and the camper is a little 5x4 trailer with a roof top tent glued to the top of it!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, you're right, it's coil front, not torsion bar, God knows what was going through my head there.

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011
I went out to a local mudhole today with a friend and his XJ, but he tried to follow me too fast into a rut and snapped a leaf. Ratchet strapped a chunk of 2x4 between the axle and the bump to get him home, but tomorrow we'll be getting a real spring.

I also tested out my new sliders when I got home, some people on a ranger forum didn't believe they'd hold.

I have a front swaybar right now, if you can't tell. The downside to this is that with a SLA ranger the endlinks could snap anytime offroad, and the local yards don't sell them cheap. They wanted $25/side last time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It looks like your friend snapped his entire springpack in one hit. How fast was he going?

He should probably use it as an opportunity to get proper height springs and ditch the liftblocks, that can't have helped matters.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Agreed. Lift blocks means more torque applied to the spring, which causes axle wrap and eventually, either the leafs wear out, or they break like that.

Impressive that he nuked the whole pack at once.

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011
I went back out to the ruts where he snapped his leaf, and on a pass through the deeper ones I got myself stuck. My bottle jacks weren't enough to get the axle off the ground (jacking from the frame) and I couldn't reach a shovel under to dig myself out. I ended up calling a friend with a YJ, but I'm thinking of picking up a hilift jack. I'm thinking the 48" should be enough for me, my rockers are within 20" of the ground, but the 60" isn't that much more money. It's harder to pack, though, so I'm not decided. Anyways, once I got out I drove into the deeper, less rutted hole and made like a boat.

http://youtu.be/qepko1dZySU

He scrapped the XJ, also, the front control arms were bent, the rear yoke snapped when the driveshaft fell out, it had a bad speed shake, and then when he was taking the leaf out the leaf-to-hanger frame at the front snapped off in the frame. That's what happens with $500 jeeps, I suppose.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

stuck a 2" OME lift kit under my mates HDJ80 today

Wound up gaining 2 1/4" at the front and 4" at the rear- the old stuff was hilariously hosed after 300K kms and 20 years!

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Got a new work vehicle to replace our faithful '04 150k freelander td4. It's done about 80, maybe 90k in three years, and been taken as far off road as it would go. Sadly the center diff case is dying (no doubt due to us running mismatched tires) and has a misfire. It isn't worth fixing, we bought it cheap and it has certainly paid for itself.

So last week we got an '06 Ford Ranger 2.5td to replace it. One the road it handles worse (like a drunk in a boat), is slower (but enough to overtake on A roads and sit at a decent motorway speed, thankfully) but off road it is a revelation - low box and proper 4x4 is great. It is certainly better to drive than a defender on the road anyway, and off road it's up to what we need it for. It's ex-council, hence the color but it only has 80k on the clock, and hopefully hasn't been abused too much and has been well serviced.

So far we have done about 700 miles, it had a horrible steering wobble but a £14 wheel balance fixed that. We've not bested 26mpg (uk) yet but, but hopefully we can improve that. The temp gauge never quite reaches center, so I guess a bust thermostat may be affecting the fuel economy (it did in my bmw). The freelander only done 30-35 mpg though so if we can't best 26 in a bigger truck I'm not going to cry.

Might have to chuck some sand bags in the back as we don't carry a heavy load and it's a bit bouncy, unless the extra weight drops out mpg further. The tow bar might come off to improve departure angle, it was the only thing that scraped on a track that made the freelander wish for a peaceful death.

Edit: I need to replace the locks on the ARB top, anybody know if they are a bitch to do? They look rusted to hell.

stump fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 14, 2012

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I posted these in Catbus's project thread, but they really belong here. This is a friend of mine in his Cummins 4bt powered Scout playing in a mudhole about two weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpvpymsV_bg

Coming back, he stalls it when the airfilter soaks down and shreds itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRrAkmT29-k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Got new shoes for my Ranger today -

I had BFG Mud Terrain T/A's on there and I just got completely tired of the road noise. I drive mainly on tarmac, so there really wasn't any point to getting them, I just bought them on a spur after a big snow storm. The new tires are 31" Falken Rocky Mountains and the ride is completely different, as they are not aggressive at all. With a big road trip coming up, I couldn't justify the mileage loss on the BFGs.

That said, I have a set of BFG Mud Terrain's for sale in the Denver area, if anyone's interested. They have a decent amount of tread left, but I've had em for four years and they have about 40,000 miles on 'em.