Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Radish posted:

My physics professor also brought up the stupid "Third law of thermodynamics disproves evolution" thing the Evangelical students were trotting around at the time in class. He (like most of us) brought up the fact that we have this thing called the "sun" that makes a big hole in that theory.

Second Law :science:

Though I think I broke a religious acquaintance's mind when I pointed out that we constantly get energy in the form of sunlight, making his argument unbelievably worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

A friend of mine recently asked me if the Homosexual issue was just a religious issue. The answere is no. Here are some observations that anyone can understand. Why would anyone support a lifestyle where sex is making love to a bagel attached to a used colostomy bag (because that's what gay sex essentially is), It's tantamount to bestiality and it isn't natural. Ladies if you use Massengill wipes regularly as napkins and have a dishwasher/bed stand full of phallic toys for your partner, that's not natural. There is a self cleaning self lubricating organ designed specifically for sexual congress with a man and for reproduction. Even if the reproduction organs don't work they are still reproductive organs plus there are built in glands that can feed the offspring as another benefit. And there is another organ specifically designed to make a union with the female organ causing the couple to become a whole unit; man and woman. Thus the time honored, time tested, institution known a marriage. How would the family perpetuate without man and woman coming together in sexual union? Where do babies come from? How are we going to explain the "birds and the bees and the ones that don't do anything except produce fleeting pleasures." As a recent article I posted said, "Marriage is, therefore, society's time-tested way to bless as many children as possible with both a mom and a dad. Why? Because moms and dads are both necessary. Neither is replaceable by a generic adult. Many men make good dads, but no man can ever be a mom. Many women make good moms, but no woman can ever be a dad." They trying to deprive children of something very beneficial that comes from traditional marriage. When I was working with electricity there are male and female plugs. Without the positive and the negative coming together in perfect union there is no real connection (I suppose now there will be people trying to make a transgender and pansexual plug for there toaster just to spite me). Thus the LBGTQ proponents are pushing, pushing, pushing an unnatural lifestyle choice on the American people. They want to indoctrinate our children to this warped ideology in schools as young as kindergarden, they want to take over Boys and Girls clubs, and eventually force people to totally say that it's all ok and natural.

I don't even know what to say...this was shown to me on a Christian Liberty Page.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

quote:

When I was working with electricity there are male and female plugs. Without the positive and the negative coming together in perfect union there is no real connection (I suppose now there will be people trying to make a transgender and pansexual plug for there toaster just to spite me).

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

yaoi prophet posted:

Brilliant

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 16, 2012

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

bairfanx posted:

Though I think I broke a religious acquaintance's mind when I pointed out that we constantly get energy in the form of sunlight, making his argument unbelievably worthless.
It always amazes me how it never crosses these peoples' minds that maybe, maybe these theory-shattering examples have been considered by scientists and perhaps they themselves are the ones that have things wrong.

Nope, it's always "IF A SYSTEM CAN'T GO FROM DISORDER TO ORDER EVER HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN FREEZERS :smuggo: take that athetist"

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

DarkHorse posted:

It always amazes me how it never crosses these peoples' minds that maybe, maybe these theory-shattering examples have been considered by scientists and perhaps they themselves are the ones that have things wrong.

Nope, it's always "IF A SYSTEM CAN'T GO FROM DISORDER TO ORDER EVER HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN FREEZERS :smuggo: take that athetist"
The reason why it never crosses their mind is because they think that the only reason it's accepted by scientists is because scientists are members of some grand conspiracy (also they are naive fools). I don't really understand what that conspiracy is, but from talking to my family that's what it seems like to me.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
But then those scientists must have a really low opinion of people if only the simplest examples can prove their conspiracy wrong :psyduck:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

A fairly well-educated person I went to high school with posted this link on Facebook today. After seeing the first graph, that's all I needed to realize it's probably all BS.

http://pjmedia.com/rogerkimball/2012/05/16/obama-by-the-numbers/

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Corbet posted:

A fairly well-educated person I went to high school with posted this link on Facebook today. After seeing the first graph, that's all I needed to realize it's probably all BS.

That first graph is so awesomely deceptive.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

It's pajamas media, the place that hired Joe the Plumber as a correspondent or idiot with a mic or something.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I don't even know what to say...this was shown to me on a Christian Liberty Page.

Well at least it's astonishingly ignorant. It would be worse if he knew what he was talking about. :shobon:

The "anal sex is gay sex, only gays have anal sex" thing that Christian conservatives sometimes pull out without even thinking is pretty hilarious.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
"gay sex is the same thing as having sex with a bagel attached to a colostomy bag"

-- someone who has clearly never had gay sex

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

"gay sex is the same thing as having sex with a bagel attached to a colostomy bag"

...or maybe somebody who only had bad, loveless, anonymous bathroom gay sex.

Also gently caress this guy for indirectly making GBS threads on single parents... you know, like the ones that have to raise a kid alone because the father died in Iraq. Why do you hate are troops?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Honestly, I'd expect anyone who had any kind of penetrative sex to understand why that's dumb. Or is having sex with a blood-filled taco better for some reason?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Amarkov posted:

Honestly, I'd expect anyone who had any kind of penetrative sex to understand why that's dumb. Or is having sex with a blood-filled taco better for some reason?

Duh, because it's not vegetarian!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Amarkov posted:

Or is having sex with a blood-filled taco better for some reason?

I want to congratulate you for this. Amazing.

I am almost disappointed I don't have crazy facebook friends or email forwarders.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A Neurotic Jew posted:

sex with a bagel attached to a colostomy bag

This is also terrible slander against the noble rectum. The anus and rectum are just as highly vascular as the genitals, almost as sensitive, and almost as complicated. Anyone who calls the rectum "a bagel attached to a colostomy bag" has no respect for the organ that keeps them from dying of dehydration. People tend not to appreciate how complex the drat thing is until it decides to stop working.

"Colostomy bag" is just so ignorant. The rectum is a collection of muscles, membranes, blood vessels, vascular cushions and even specialized skin and nerve endings. I hope that guy's rectum decides to malfunction sometime, so he can appreciate just how much it is not a simple bag. The anatomy student in me is offended by this.

:mad: :respek: :science:

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Easy:
"You seem to have put a lot of thought into the mechanics of gay and lesbian sex practices, more thought than even the sluttiest of gays and lesbians would commit to the idea of sex. Is there anything you'd like to tell us? This is a safe place, you can come out of the closet now."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

bairfanx posted:

My bad. Been a while since I studied that :eng99:

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Corbet posted:

The guy who compiled those writes for The New Criterion, which is a conservative literary review. I've read it before. It's totally unlike anything you'll read on conservative blogs. Very GK Chesterton and Russel Kirk-ish.

The problem is that it's woefully behind the curve on today's right wing. There's no high cultural conservatives in any number any more. I guess that's why this guys resorted to posting terrible graphs.

I've always wanted an explanation as to how Obama literally made unemployment jump so much from Jan-Sept of 2009, when he'd barely been in office? What legislation immediately did that? Did he just scare the economy into high unemployment with his Islamomarxist magic?

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Radish posted:

I think the only real "crazy" lefty thing I heard in college was that "the only physical difference between men and women is ability for lactation" by a history professor. My physics professor also brought up the stupid "Third law of thermodynamics disproves evolution" thing the Evangelical students were trotting around at the time in class. He (like most of us) brought up the fact that we have this thing called the "sun" that makes a big hole in that theory.

Intelligent design gets some pretty sarcastic digs if you have the right lecturer and topic. That's about the only 'political' thing I've ever heard come up in a science course.

There were a few remarks about President Bush from my medieval history prof during the run up to the 2004 election. But yeah, the vast majority of the time classes are behind schedule enough without wasting time on random political noise.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

De Nomolos posted:

I've always wanted an explanation as to how Obama literally made unemployment jump so much from Jan-Sept of 2009, when he'd barely been in office? What legislation immediately did that? Did he just scare the economy into high unemployment with his Islamomarxist magic?

Yes, and the fear began even earlier than that!

code:
        JAN     FEB     MAR     APR     MAY     JUN     JUL     AUG     SEP     OCT     NOV     DEC
2008	5.0	4.9	5.1	5.0	5.4	5.6	5.8	6.1	6.1	6.5	6.8	7.3

Obama became the Democratic Nominee in at the start of June of 2008, though his eventual win became more certain in May. And ever since the Unemployment went up. It's all his fault.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

This is also terrible slander against the noble rectum. The anus and rectum are just as highly vascular as the genitals, almost as sensitive, and almost as complicated. Anyone who calls the rectum "a bagel attached to a colostomy bag" has no respect for the organ that keeps them from dying of dehydration. People tend not to appreciate how complex the drat thing is until it decides to stop working.

"Colostomy bag" is just so ignorant. The rectum is a collection of muscles, membranes, blood vessels, vascular cushions and even specialized skin and nerve endings. I hope that guy's rectum decides to malfunction sometime, so he can appreciate just how much it is not a simple bag. The anatomy student in me is offended by this.

:mad: :respek: :science:

That's an awful lot of words about butts.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I bought Drift on the recommendations of this thread (and because I love Rachel Maddow) and so far the craziest thing about it is that Roger Ailes has a blurb on the back. And he says it's a book worth reading!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

OatmealRaisin posted:

That's an awful lot of words about butts.

Butts are pretty great.

Rycon_Payne
Oct 4, 2001

The King Of Angst

This is the latest thing going around that I see. Posted by my uncle, responded to by my father and my brother-in-law. They are having a knee slapping time over it. Coupled with this text:

quote:

promotional booklet produced in 1991 by Barack Obama's then-literary agency, Acton & Dystel, which touts Obama as "born in Kenya and raised in Indonesia and Hawaii."

The booklet, which was distributed to "business colleagues" in the publishing industry, includes a brief biography of Obama among the biographies of eighty-nine other authors represented by Acton & Dystel.

It also promotes Obama's anticipated first book, Journeys in Black and White--which Obama abandoned, later publishing Dreams from My Father instead.
Seems to have exploded on republican blogs today.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
At least spin people are still putting effort in. Halfway through his second term it's just going to be MS paint images that say "Barack Obama: Hes black and his name sounds foreign and hes a democrat"

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Wow, someone gets demographic info incorrect. That's never happened before.

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!

John McCain posted:

Wow, someone gets demographic info incorrect. That's never happened before.

I know. I pointed out on someone's Facebook page that the person who wrote that short bio said it was a typo, and got told to "drink the Kool-Aid". Because skepticism of incredible claims is exactly like suicide by poisoning at a South American cult compound. :rolleyes:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I know that when it comes to verifying someone's identity, I prefer to rely on literary agents and publishing houses instead of the actual agencies entrusted with that task.

That's why my birth certificate is issued by Penguin Books.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Rycon_Payne posted:

This is the latest thing going around that I see. Posted by my uncle, responded to by my father and my brother-in-law. They are having a knee slapping time over it. Coupled with this text:

Seems to have exploded on republican blogs today.
Umm, law reviews (like other student publications) don't have presidents, they have editors. Nobody talks about the "president" of the New York Times or Rolling Stone.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
My favorite part of that Breitbart story is that they claim that it's the possible origin of the birther claims - as if anyone except for book industry-types ever even saw (let alone read) that blurb - no doubt as a way to discount the role of racism and otherism inherent in the birthers.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I am incredibly ashamed that this even showed up in my inbox.

quote:

Obama's Air Force One (WAIT! Who's AFO?)
INCREDIBLE!!!

He has turned Air Force One into a campaign slogan carrier...
Not only the Obama Campaign logo on the tail, but it bears his Campaign Slogan and removing the American Flag! I do believe in most States there are laws against something so blatant an abuse of power, using public funds for campaigning. Atop this "personalization of Air Force One", Obama has logged more miles than any previous President. We have a “triple A” president; Audacity, Abuse, and Arrogance... He should pay for the cost of repainting/ restoring the craft.... this guy HAS to GO!
Obama Removes American Flag from His Plane… WHO'S PLANE?

Barack Obama recently finished a $500,000 total overhaul of his (HIS?) Boeing 757. And as part of the new design, he decided to remove the American flag from the tail.

What American running for President of the United States would remove the symbol of his country? And worse, he replaced the flag with a symbol of himself.

Please forward this if you're not ashamed of your country and our flag.

If you do not forward this to everyone you know nothing will happen. If Obama is elected president of the United States we are in trouble. If you think the Liberals can lead our country just look what Pelosi and Reid have accomplished for us... "ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!"
If you have doubt about this message, check it out at SNOPES

Couldn't be bothered to include the images since they're all in the Snopes link anyways. The one that you should check if you have any doubts: Different Name, Same Idea

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
hah, I was going to say, "Air Force One isn't even a 757, this guy is on crack", but the snopes link covers that in pretty good detail.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yeah, I even thought that when I first saw it. "Isn't AFO a Jumbo?"

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Ashcans posted:

I know that when it comes to verifying someone's identity, I prefer to rely on literary agents and publishing houses instead of the actual agencies entrusted with that task.

That's why my birth certificate is issued by Penguin Books.

Its rare that something someone posts here that I find humorous actually manages to make me laugh out loud. Well done.

e: Also, have Conservatives not caught on to the fact that Pelosi is no longer the Speaker of the House?

Sarion fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 18, 2012

Rycon_Payne
Oct 4, 2001

The King Of Angst

King Dopplepopolos posted:

I know. I pointed out on someone's Facebook page that the person who wrote that short bio said it was a typo, and got told to "drink the Kool-Aid". Because skepticism of incredible claims is exactly like suicide by poisoning at a South American cult compound. :rolleyes:

Can you please link me to the source of that info please? I just keep getting republican blogs and I want to be able to point out what you found.

Edit, Nevermind. Now I just have to find the one from the most reliable (for republican standards) source.

Rycon_Payne fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 18, 2012

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Sarion posted:

e: Also, have Conservatives not caught on to the fact that Pelosi is no longer the Speaker of the House?

Like half of these are just Clinton-era forwards with the names changed. You expect them to keep up to date on events only two years old?

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Sarion posted:

I think many of them just want to gloss over the last couple years of obstructionism under Beohner's watch. It makes them feel better about voting Republican again this election cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bee
Apr 28, 2009

Hup hup, Mister Bee!
That email definitely had me asking questions. Namely, "But who was plane?!"