Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Or is it just that your FOV changes and the same amount of light is hitting the sensor, only a crop of the FF image the lens produces?

This is exactly right.

edit: oh hey look, i've had this page open a long time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

If the rumoured Canon mirrorless is essentially a mirrorless 7d I'll go out and buy one straight away. The biggest thing stopping me from getting a nex 7 or xpro1 at the moment is my other gear. (mostly my 580exii, the 40d and lenses can't be worth too much anymore)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
One thing I find interesting about the design of the Sony NEX-F3 is that there's a raised ring around the video record button. Looks like Sony heard all the complaints about it being too easy to hit on the other models.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

HPL posted:

One thing I find interesting about the design of the Sony NEX-F3 is that there's a raised ring around the video record button. Looks like Sony heard all the complaints about it being too easy to hit on the other models.
I wish instead of a hardware change they would have just made it mappable to another function (or just turn it off).

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

rio posted:

I wish instead of a hardware change they would have just made it mappable to another function (or just turn it off).

I know. It would be so easy to do. I wish someone would at least come up with a stick-on thing for it or something.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Mest0r posted:

I would have loved to see a 1.4x teleconverter to get a nice 50mm equiv. focal length rather than the wider angle, but really it's great to see Fuji still still bringing out the updates on a somewhat regular basis.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was in the works. I think Fuji knows that they've made an amazing camera that will be remembered for a long time. I haven't had any issues with battery life or auto-focus, for what it's worth. Although, I kind of wish they had an x100 v2 or something that allowed for a wireless remote shutter and had the physical control layout/knobs/wheels from the X Pro 1.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Helicity posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if that was in the works. I think Fuji knows that they've made an amazing camera that will be remembered for a long time. I haven't had any issues with battery life or auto-focus, for what it's worth. Although, I kind of wish they had an x100 v2 or something that allowed for a wireless remote shutter and had the physical control layout/knobs/wheels from the X Pro 1.

Whenever I shoot with my X100 now I keep wanting that quick menu from the X Pro. I hope they can include that in firmware somehow.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Some great deals on photo gear in town this week. MediaMarkt was dumping their old and demo stock, with some pretty hefty markdowns. GF1 + 14-45 kits were 1990 SEK (have been 3000-4000 previously), and I made a real score: GF1 + 20/1.7 for 2990 SEK. The lens is often hard to find in stock and right now the cheapest online is 3850 SEK, so I got the lens for a bargain and a GF1 for free... gotta say I really like this combo, will have to play with it for a bit and see what I think. The lens is a definite keeper, either way; small, sharp as a tack, and great rendering. And the GF1 while "dated" impresses me with its extremely solid build and well thought out controls and menus. Even ISO 1600 looks decent enough:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The NEX 5N has an electronic first shutter. Is there a reason it can't use that shutter for both first and second shutter for silent operation?

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

HPL posted:

The NEX 5N has an electronic first shutter. Is there a reason it can't use that shutter for both first and second shutter for silent operation?

As of right now, no sensor producer has perfected a perfectly efficient all-eletronic shutter. I know part of it has to do with the difficulty of simulating black so as to not effect exposure.

I know Sony is working on it, as are most smaller sensor companies. It's still probably a couple years away, barring a big breakthrough.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Well I mean it was good enough for one shutter, why not both? Even if it can't totally go black, it would still be good for stuff like low light work when discretion is important.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

HPL posted:

Well I mean it was good enough for one shutter, why not both? Even if it can't totally go black, it would still be good for stuff like low light work when discretion is important.

I'm really not an expert when it comes to this, but as I understand it: sensors can't take light data without some sort of baseline to work with, and the best way to do that is to submerge the sensor is total darkness for a moment after exposure.

If sensor producers could do it, they would. There's definitely a market for it.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Don't most compact cameras and camera phones have all-electronic shutters? And live view/video modes certainly don't have the shutter flapping up and down 60 times a second.

Tzar
Jun 9, 2005

Dammit DeeDee, you've failed me for the last time!

Beastruction posted:

Don't most compact cameras and camera phones have all-electronic shutters? And live view/video modes certainly don't have the shutter flapping up and down 60 times a second.

It's usually due to bandwidth issues, neither live-view nor video mode are at full resolution, and an electronic second shutter requires every photosite on the sensor to be read at once (or nearly at once, this is what causes the rolling-shutter effect in videos shot with a CMOS sensor.)

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
Makes you wonder what Nokia did with their 42 megapixel mobile phone sensor. CCD sensors come in interline buffer versions which solves this problem neatly, as long as you can read-out fast enough for your frame rate. Googling around, global shutter CMOS does apparently exist. Even so, plenty of false generalizations abound when discussing sensor tech, I just saw a claim that CMOS can't get column bloom, my D700 sure as hell does at high enough iso settings.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've wondered what happened to CCD. In my recollection CMOS used to be inferior to CCD's, but now everything is CMOS.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
CCD is still live and kicking in niche markets (astrophotography, biology, etc). Both techniques have merits, but CMOS apparently finally lived up to its long-false promise of higher integration and cheaper manufacture.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Went out for a photowalk with the EM-5 yesterday, image quality is kicking rad! There was a fair amount of CA though, but mainly because I was shooting wide open under a high contrast situation.

Original

Common Flying Dragon Original by alkanphel, on Flickr

100% crop

Common Flying Dragon by alkanphel, on Flickr

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

alkanphel posted:

Went out for a photowalk with the EM-5 yesterday, image quality is kicking rad! There was a fair amount of CA though, but mainly because I was shooting wide open under a high contrast situation.

Original

Common Flying Dragon Original by alkanphel, on Flickr

100% crop

Common Flying Dragon by alkanphel, on Flickr

What lens did you use?

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Some guy got his X100 wrecked with a ton of (salt)water damage and takes it apart. A good look into the components that go into the camera:

http://www.jamesmaherphotography.com/photoblog_view_post/767-taking-apart-the-fuji-x100

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cacator posted:

What lens did you use?
The 25/1.4

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
My OM-D and I spent the weekend in Tokyo with my cousin and his X Pro 1.

He's trading it in today for an OM-D. :smug:

To be fair, he loves the x pro to bits and is trading solely for auto focus issues as he shoots a lot of manic kids.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

My OM-D and I spent the weekend in Tokyo with my cousin and his X Pro 1.

He's trading it in today for an OM-D. :smug:

To be fair, he loves the x pro to bits and is trading solely for auto focus issues as he shoots a lot of manic kids.
Haha no surprise there! By the way, how did you find the battery life of the OM-D?

Random Task
Mar 23, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A WORTHLESS GODDAMN DEADBEAT AND RUINING CHRISTMAS IN DORKROOM. NO SERIOUSLY, ASK ME, SO I CAN EXPLAIN MYSELF.
So yeah, this just happened:
http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-12-35mm-f2-8-x-lens-officially-announced/
:fap:

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

alkanphel posted:

Haha no surprise there! By the way, how did you find the battery life of the OM-D?

Terrible compared to my E-P1.

The E-P1 would go for three or 4 days of solid travel shooting on one charge while the OM-D manages about 2/3 to 1 day.

It's pretty much my biggest complaint with the camera. Certainly manageable by having a spare battery but it's a big step down from before. Also I am just annoyed that I now own three DIFFERENT types of Olympus digital camera batteries.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
Nice, but pricey. Tough choice between this and getting the (e.g.) 12mm and the coming 75mm instead

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Anyone know what the maximum write speed is for the OM-D? I want to get an SD card but if the camera can do like 50MB/s I don't need a 95MB/s card.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I still can't find the om-d in stock anywhere near me :(

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

spankmeister posted:

Anyone know what the maximum write speed is for the OM-D? I want to get an SD card but if the camera can do like 50MB/s I don't need a 95MB/s card.

You can't go wrong buying fast cards. You may not need it now, but it'll make the card a lot more useful in the future. Generally cards that write fast also read fast so it should make copying photos off of it faster as well.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
It just struck me all of a sudden how far we've come that the NEX 5N at 12800 has roughly the same quality as an EOS 40D at 3200.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

So, much love for electronic front shutter on my NEX-7. I've been using the mechanical front shutter as there are some various warnings in the manual about lots of bright light/bright lenses (i.e. daylight, wide open) and using the electronic shutter. Until my friend wanted a few pictures of their cat. The cat would turn its head towards the camera every time the shutter went off, which meant every single picture had a blurry cat head. (and that's how I learned cat reflexes are crazy goddamn fast)

Since only the rear shutter made a noise with the electronic front shutter, I was able to get good photos. Success!

Other than that I prefer the mechanical shutter. Just the sound and the feel. :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

HPL posted:

You can't go wrong buying fast cards. You may not need it now, but it'll make the card a lot more useful in the future. Generally cards that write fast also read fast so it should make copying photos off of it faster as well.

True, and when you buy a $1000+ camera there it doesn't really make sense to want to save $20 off of an SD card does it? :downs:

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

spankmeister posted:

I just tested my 30mb/s card and then my 45mb/s card and they BOTH do 15 shots at 9fps of RAW until they hit the buffer.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

spankmeister posted:

True, and when you buy a $1000+ camera there it doesn't really make sense to want to save $20 off of an SD card does it? :downs:

If that weren't 150% of the price of a good 16GB card, maybe.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Beastruction posted:

If that weren't 150% of the price of a good 16GB card, maybe.

Oh I'm looking to get a 32.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Keep an eye out for sales. For some reason, when memory cards go on sale, they go on sale big, like half price or whatever.

Also, you may want to consider staying with 16GB cards for now. When I got a 32GB card for my 5N, it was way slower running than my 16GB, especially when starting up from sleep and writing photos. Right now 16GB seems to be the sweet spot for performance and price.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

HPL posted:

Keep an eye out for sales. For some reason, when memory cards go on sale, they go on sale big, like half price or whatever.

Also, you may want to consider staying with 16GB cards for now. When I got a 32GB card for my 5N, it was way slower running than my 16GB, especially when starting up from sleep and writing photos. Right now 16GB seems to be the sweet spot for performance and price.

95MB/s is 95MB/s so that should not matter.

I already have a 16GB class 4 and a 16GB class 10, and I was hoping to replace those with a single card that is both faster and bigger, keeping these as backups.

I guess I could go for 2 16GB if it's cheaper than the single 32 but I don't think it will matter, performance wise.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

spankmeister posted:

95MB/s is 95MB/s so that should not matter.

I already have a 16GB class 4 and a 16GB class 10, and I was hoping to replace those with a single card that is both faster and bigger, keeping these as backups.

I guess I could go for 2 16GB if it's cheaper than the single 32 but I don't think it will matter, performance wise.

Generally, I have found that it takes a while after a certain capacity of card becomes affordable that it reaches its optimum speed. Like for instance, a couple of years ago, 8GB was the sweet spot because factories finally reached the competency and capacity to crank out good solid fast chips of that capacity while the ones for 16GB were slower. Now it's the same way for 16GB and 32GB memory cards. Unless you end up spending megabucks on a 32GB card, it still won't reach the same performance level as a 16GB card of comparable rated speed since the ratings are often much higher than what you would get in the real world. In my opinion, 32GB hasn't reached prime time yet.

There's also the speed issue with startup and what not because it takes the camera longer to go: "Okay, we all here? Good. Let's go!" with 32GB as opposed to 16GB.

Best Buy seems to have to pretty awesome sales on right now until the 24th. Here's a Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB Class 10 card for $60:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...ea265e12b54en02

I use a Sandisk Extreme (non-pro) 16GB class 10 as my main card and it's great.

HPL fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 23, 2012

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

HPL posted:

There's also the speed issue with startup and what not because it takes the camera longer to go: "Okay, we all here? Good. Let's go!" with 32GB as opposed to 16GB.

This is more the camera makers being utterly incompetent at software engineering than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

printf posted:

This is more the camera makers being utterly incompetent at software engineering than anything else.

True, but it's also a factor in deciding whether to go with a 16/16 combo or a 32. Personally, I prefer a 16/16 for event shooting because then if a card fucks up at least I'll have some photos left to salvage.