Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
No, it is an Alfa Romeo V6, but I think 2ndclasscitizen cheated.

I like the intake stack going right through the middle of the gas tank, and those exposed timing wheels spinning like 2 inches away from your knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slim Pickens posted:

If I ever hit the lotto, Suter 500 here I come.

You're being too narrow minded.
If you hit the lotto you should throw a Supercharged Saab Sonnet engine in a Harley frame with narrow tires and a decent suspension. You'd not only change pop culture, you'd explode minds in the process.

Sagebrush posted:

All of those links claim that actually yes, it is malpractice insurance premiums skyrocketing (20 to 25 percent per year says one site) that is raising healthcare fees to those idiotic levels. They then point out that jury awards have actually not grown very much, so really it's just massive profiteering by the insurance companies. Which are just a big a pile of poo poo as the worst ambulance-chasers out there.

Here's a sweet motorcycle. Can you guess what kind of engine it is without using a reverse image search?

It's the Alphabeast I've beel following this guy's insane builds for a few years now.
http://crossbreedcycles.co.uk/aboutus.aspx

Edit: it wasn't technically running when that picture was taken.
In fact, I'm not entirely certain it's actually "running" now.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 15, 2012

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Some sort of V4? VFR800 maybe?

edit: oh well, maybe not then!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

front wing flexing posted:

Was the adjustment for VA insurance? VA will cover you outside of VA facilities only in an emergency (which this sounds like it is). VA itself didn't do any adjustments though, which is weird. Usually you get a bill from the hospital and they charge say 1000 bucks, then the insurance company says, no gently caress that, the poo poo you did was only worth 600 bucks. Then they pay say 550 and you're only left with 50. It doesn't seem like any of that is going on here, which is something your friend should look into.

If he's entitled to VA healthcare of with that amount of coverage, he should probably be entitles to Tricare (I'm assuming he's medically retired). Tricare is the poo poo. But the bottom line is, I can't see any veteran that's entitled to VA health care and/or tricare with that much much of a bill. There's got to be some kind of huge mistake somewhere in billing or on the insurance end.

I don't believe he's medically retired at all, dude just got out when he got sick of it. He was pretty roughed up from what would seem like a small accident, getting several tubes jabbed into his side, a lung nearly collapsing, CT scans etc. during the course of the month he stayed there. I could ask him more about it, maybe see if I can post pictures of him laid up.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

That bike is basically the Louis CK of bikes, so it works
I was about to say, the bike works well with Louis CK: they're both loud; brash; gently caress-you's to everyone within the immediate vicinity.

His facial expression matches perfectly too.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Sagebrush posted:

All of those links claim that actually yes, it is malpractice insurance premiums skyrocketing (20 to 25 percent per year says one site) that is raising healthcare fees to those idiotic levels. They then point out that jury awards have actually not grown very much, so really it's just massive profiteering by the insurance companies. Which are just a big a pile of poo poo as the worst ambulance-chasers out there.

This was not your claim. Your claim was "expensive civil malpractice suits" were the cause for increased insurance premiums. The cost of suits (as measured by jury awards) has not grown very much. If you'd like to revise your claim, that it is malpractice insurance costs rising disproportionately to the costs incurred by malpractice suits that accounts for some of the rising costs of healthcare, that would be fine :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't see how it makes that much of a difference. I didn't have the specific cause correct, but my point was that the fees aren't rising because of anything to do with treatment or the actual healthcare workers, but because of profiteering by secondary industries that glom themselves onto the healthcare system.

Wheeeeeee

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Slim Pickens posted:

I don't believe he's medically retired at all, dude just got out when he got sick of it. He was pretty roughed up from what would seem like a small accident, getting several tubes jabbed into his side, a lung nearly collapsing, CT scans etc. during the course of the month he stayed there. I could ask him more about it, maybe see if I can post pictures of him laid up.

That's weird that the VA would cover him at all then. You should tell him to look into everything and push hard.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Wheeeeeee

:what:

Here's a cool retro collection of celebrities on bieks: http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/2009/10/30/when-all-else-fails/

John Lennon, looking uncommonly B.A.:

Daniel Day Lewis, still menacing w/out a big mustache:

The link above has tons others, including the requisite butt-load of Steve McQueen.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

front wing flexing posted:

That's weird that the VA would cover him at all then. You should tell him to look into everything and push hard.

You can get partial VA coverage if you get out with any 'disability' you acquire during your service. The criteria are very different from civilian disability, it can be everything from having all your limbs blown off to a bad case of snoring, and unless you had a very pampered (or short) military career you probably qualify. How useful the medical coverage is could be debated, but you often get a monthly cash check and it counts towards affirmative action hiring practices so it could make it easier to get a civilian job.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Snowdens Secret posted:

You can get partial VA coverage if you get out with any 'disability' you acquire during your service. The criteria are very different from civilian disability, it can be everything from having all your limbs blown off to a bad case of snoring, and unless you had a very pampered (or short) military career you probably qualify. How useful the medical coverage is could be debated, but you often get a monthly cash check and it counts towards affirmative action hiring practices so it could make it easier to get a civilian job.

I'm aware. I'm medically retired and receive VA healthcare and Tricare.

That's why his entire bill should be covered. He would have to fall into an extremely rare category to only have partial VA coverage up to 80% but no Tricare. Basically, if he's a disabled veteran stuck with almost 100k in medical bills, there's an error. somewhere that he can correct. And even the final bill can be covered if you apply to certain non-profit veteran's organizations.

Edit: sorry about the insurance/vet derail chat. I'm just trying to be helpful on an important subject.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

New DRZ SM :neckbeard:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Olde Weird Tip posted:

New DRZ SM :neckbeard:

I don't understand what the ramp is for.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

invision posted:

I don't understand what the ramp is for.

Complimentary stretcher, keeps the spine stable.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Stunters are EVERYWHERE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J4fdc_G2cA

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Gullous posted:

Stunters are EVERYWHERE!
Impressive save! Not a very flattering angle thought. :butt:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gullous posted:

Stunters are EVERYWHERE!

HOLY poo poo

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

R. Lee Ermey: low on safety gear, high on bad-assery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWewV88Tszc

EDIT: Quick 'n dirty screencap:

(that's Ermey on the bike)

Lanky_Nibz fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 16, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Don't mind me, just out ridin' my busa in shorts. Hope my pulled up socks will keep me from rashing up my shins!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Picture time because i am very :neckbeard: about my new DRZ, havent even had it for 24 hours yet.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

SaNChEzZ posted:

Don't mind me, just out ridin' my busa in shorts. Hope my pulled up socks will keep me from rashing up my shins!

Gotta have that insulation on your calves so they don't get burned on the exhaust.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Gullous posted:

Stunters are EVERYWHERE!

He pulled the "full Randy"

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

He pulled the "full Randy"

This piece of awesome was in the related videos. I wish they still ripped wheelies like this in MotoGP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7_WAeCe8oE

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Boru posted:

R. Lee Ermey: low on safety gear, high on bad-assery.

(that's Ermey on the bike)

Tsk, tsk...the spokesperson for Victory rolling on an HD trashwagon.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Typical Harley rider in southern alberta. 250+ lbs overweight, 5-XL T-shirt and a skullcap.

I'm not the smallest guy either, but jesus christ man I actually felt sorry for that harley.

Edit: Sorry about the bugs on the windshield. Was a very impromptu photo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 17, 2012

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It doesn't matter so much that you ride an overweight bike when you weigh more than it does.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Marv Hushman posted:

Tsk, tsk...the spokesperson for Victory rolling on an HD trashwagon.

:ssh: They must have missed that part of his resume.

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001

Ola posted:

It doesn't matter so much that you ride an overweight bike when you weigh more than it does.

Is... is that the sissy bar that's being enveloped by his backside? He's rider and passenger.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

toolshed posted:

Is... is that the sissy bar that's being enveloped by his backside? He's rider and passenger.

It's so he can ride in the carpool lane! :v:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

slidebite posted:

Typical Harley rider in southern alberta. 250+ lbs overweight, 5-XL T-shirt and a skullcap.

I'm not the smallest guy either, but jesus christ man I actually felt sorry for that harley.

Edit: Sorry about the bugs on the windshield. Was a very impromptu photo.

If you can read this I ate the bitch (he takes up the passenger part of the seat too)

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

slidebite posted:

I can't wait to get my ct70's on the road, just for the confused looks from people when they see my fat rear end buzzing around town.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Wish they still made Indians or bikes in general like that.

Older cars and bikes have a certain rugged utility that newer vehicles lack, even if the newer vehicles are more capable.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

Older cars and bikes have a certain rugged utility that newer vehicles lack, even if the newer vehicles are more capable.

I could strap that much poo poo to my ninja 250 if I really wanted to and it's probably more reliable too.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I could strap that much poo poo to my ninja 250 if I really wanted to and it's probably more reliable too.

Yeah, but it doesn't have soul.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Armyman25 posted:

Yeah, but it doesn't have soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c

edit: came off sounding like a dick, video is awesome.

BaKESAL3 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 17, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
There's also the fact that you can fix everything on the bike with the contents of the toolkit on a roadside a hundred miles from civilization. With an older Ninja 250 you -might- be able to do this, but it's certainly got higher tolerances for important moving parts, whereas the bikes like in the pic can be smashed all to heck and still run enough to get you into town.

I recall one of the complaints of the more modern BMW 1200GS was that when the local mechanic in whatever backwater hole in South America you wrecked in tried to weld your frame back together it would zorch your high-techy-tech ECU. Not really an issue on an old Indian.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Armyman25 posted:

Huh a Coast Guard bike, with a decent paint job AND the goddammed racing stripe? That owns.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Probably Hates You posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c

edit: came off sounding like a dick, video is awesome.

Holy LOL at that guy reeling the big bikes in in the corners

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

I recall one of the complaints of the more modern BMW 1200GS was that when the local mechanic in whatever backwater hole in South America you wrecked in tried to weld your frame back together it would zorch your high-techy-tech ECU. Not really an issue on an old Indian.

That was just a thing that happened in The Long Way Round. But that's not really a problem with the bike...Ewan McGregor just didn't think it through. It should be pretty obvious that if you're going to be arc welding on what is essentially the ground plane of all your bike's electronics, you should disconnect anything sensitive first.

That said, you still need an AC TIG to repair your BMW frame, while you could probably fix the Indian with an oxyacetylene torch and a coat hanger, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

That was just a thing that happened in The Long Way Round. But that's not really a problem with the bike...Ewan McGregor just didn't think it through. It should be pretty obvious that if you're going to be arc welding on what is essentially the ground plane of all your bike's electronics, you should disconnect anything sensitive first.

That said, you still need an AC TIG to repair your BMW frame, while you could probably fix the Indian with an oxyacetylene torch and a coat hanger, so there's that.
I generally agree with your assessment that it was Ewan's fault, (actually wasn't it Claudio's bike?) but it's interesting to note that their Mongolian welding didn't fry the ECU, but fried the ABS system, which is separate. And that particular ABS system happens to be a very dumb design which uses electric pumps to create all braking pressure. This is a unique thing to certain older model BMWs and I have to wonder if any other modern bike would have survived it.