Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'd say the setup for it was fine even, it was just that the actual event itself wound up treading water for about 5 issues out of the 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

i like tacos posted:

EMH is doing such a good job in this invasion story line compared to the YJ version. I wish more people watched EMH.

YJ just seems like a complete mess. It took them pretty much an entire season to work out the cast dynamics and then that's all blown up for a five year time skip. I wonder how much the time skip can be blamed on Weisman and the Vietti and how much can be blamed on it being a "suggestion" from Warner Bros. so the game could tie into the show and by having it fill in the gap (I believe it's supposed to take place during the five year period anyway) and there'd be more reason to buy it.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Suben posted:

YJ just seems like a complete mess. It took them pretty much an entire season to work out the cast dynamics and then that's all blown up for a five year time skip. I wonder how much the time skip can be blamed on Weisman and the Vietti and how much can be blamed on it being a "suggestion" from Warner Bros. so the game could tie into the show and by having it fill in the gap (I believe it's supposed to take place during the five year period anyway) and there'd be more reason to buy it.

I will give credit to the time skip that at least it doesn't seem like the Connor/Megan breakup is Superboy's fault. That I'm happy about because it'd be too drat cliche. I am definitely into Megan pretty much being a bitch with her powers who seems to have no respect for life.

Getting more and more into EMH. Every time I read something about it being canceled I just want to go sucker punch every exec at Disney.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Liar posted:

I will give credit to the time skip that at least it doesn't seem like the Connor/Megan breakup is Superboy's fault. That I'm happy about because it'd be too drat cliche. I am definitely into Megan pretty much being a bitch with her powers who seems to have no respect for life.

Getting more and more into EMH. Every time I read something about it being canceled I just want to go sucker punch every exec at Disney.

Those two statements seem kind of at odds. EMH is good, clean Marvel Age-y adventure stories, with the best of what came later for flavour and scope. YJ seems like everything people hate about modern DC, taking light, optimistic characters and settings and making them DARK and GRITTY and REALISTIC. Ms Martian once battled her own darker nature with psychic kittens. I don't think you need to make that character your amoral lobotomy machine.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ms. Martian did very, very little before YJ. I think someone pointed out that she'd yet to even appear in the same panel with Martian Manhunter in any comic issues when the series was first announced.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

Ms. Martian did very, very little before YJ.

Uh, this is really incorrect. Miss Martian has been around since 2006 and was used in Teen Titans. YJ premiered 2010. She's actually done LESS since the series started.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Gaz-L posted:

Those two statements seem kind of at odds. EMH is good, clean Marvel Age-y adventure stories, with the best of what came later for flavour and scope. YJ seems like everything people hate about modern DC, taking light, optimistic characters and settings and making them DARK and GRITTY and REALISTIC. Ms Martian once battled her own darker nature with psychic kittens. I don't think you need to make that character your amoral lobotomy machine.
I think the idea is more that both YJ and EMH are already established series and do what they do in an interesting manner. Even if they use different tones and atmospheres, you can still enjoy each for their own story and characters. EMH getting (relatively) quickly cancelled like all the past good Marvel series, like Wolverine and the X-Men or Spectacular Spider-man, is kind of frustrating. The series is going in an enjoyable direction and there's plenty to look forward to, but then the series gets canned.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Codependent Poster posted:

Uh, this is really incorrect. Miss Martian has been around since 2006 and was used in Teen Titans. YJ premiered 2010. She's actually done LESS since the series started.

Existing in one comic for three or four years is not a lot. Heck I don't think she was even in the Teen Titans all that time, though I must admit to not having read Teen Titans back then because of quality issues. I remember a lot of people scratched their heads when she was announced on the team though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

If they really wanted to mindfuck the audience, they could suggest that Miss Martian is a light, optimistic character... for a white martian. She's a literal alien after all, why should she have identical moral values to humans? Maybe "regular" white martians drop psychic bombs the same way our heroes throw punches and she's a naive softie to them, and that's why she came to Earth.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The lobotomy thing is interesting, because I remember several people being really mad about the similar end to the 'hyperclan' arc in Morrison's JLA days.

That said, I do not watch Young Justice, so maybe I'm missing a specific piece of context here.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

The lobotomy thing is interesting, because I remember several people being really mad about the similar end to the 'hyperclan' arc in Morrison's JLA days.

That said, I do not watch Young Justice, so maybe I'm missing a specific piece of context here.

It's a little different here. Once in the first season, Miss Martian was psychically assaulted by a villain and had six months of memories temporarily erased (along with the rest of the team), and in the rematch barely defeated the villain with the help of one of her teammates. Later in the season, after she'd learned a bit more about her own abilities, she went mano-y-mano with him and ended up reducing him to a drooling vegetable. That was kinda brutal, but understandable as a combination of a personal vendetta and her powers getting out of hand in the heat of the moment.

Then in the second season she did it again, except this time it definitely wasn't an accident, and it wasn't a do-or-die struggle against a powerful psychic foe. She just mind-crushed an alien general seemingly because she could, to remove him from the picture without straight up killing him. It's implied that it wasn't the first time she did it so casually, and also that she may not be fully aware of why this is a bad thing.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It seems weird though because she did it to the other alien in the interrogation room right in front of Martian Manhunter and Batman and they either didn't notice (seems unlikely) or didn't give a poo poo. So far Superboy seems to be the only one who has a problem with it, if he broke up with her because she was leaving a trail of vegetables in her wake you'd think one of the other heroes would have said something or noticed.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

Existing in one comic for three or four years is not a lot. Heck I don't think she was even in the Teen Titans all that time, though I must admit to not having read Teen Titans back then because of quality issues. I remember a lot of people scratched their heads when she was announced on the team though.

A lot of the stuff involving her and the white martian heritage comes from story arcs prior to the TV show. Saying that she did very little before the show is wrong, because as I said, she's actually done less since the show started. Which shows how dumb DC can be.

"We're rebooting our comics, we have this TV show that's popular, maybe we can have the lineups match a little? Nah! We'll just put Superboy on the cover for the first issue and not actually have him join the team for a year! Not when we have the breakout character of the century, Solstice!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A lot of the stuff involving her and the white martian heritage comes from story arcs prior to the TV show. Saying that she did very little before the show is wrong, because as I said, she's actually done less since the show started. Which shows how dumb DC can be.

"We're rebooting our comics, we have this TV show that's popular, maybe we can have the lineups match a little? Nah! We'll just put Superboy on the cover for the first issue and not actually have him join the team for a year! Not when we have the breakout character of the century, Solstice!"

Again, this bugs me. Why was it a bad idea to introduce another character of colour, who wasn't super-gritty, and give her a push? If anything, ditching that idea in this sad attempt to recapture the 90s is the problem. And yes, I say this while reading and enjoying Batman and Animal Man, neither of which are exactly light and fluffy, but there's something almost offensive to me about the idea of an optimistic character being so 'unrealistic' that you have to crank the lever 180 to GRRR.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

Again, this bugs me. Why was it a bad idea to introduce another character of colour, who wasn't super-gritty, and give her a push? If anything, ditching that idea in this sad attempt to recapture the 90s is the problem. And yes, I say this while reading and enjoying Batman and Animal Man, neither of which are exactly light and fluffy, but there's something almost offensive to me about the idea of an optimistic character being so 'unrealistic' that you have to crank the lever 180 to GRRR.

That is why Brave and the Bold was so great it was just fun.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

I'm not sure what you're complaining about? I wasn't saying anything about not including Solstice, just making fun of the way DC hyped her up. And made this series super gritty. With the reboot, they should have put Miss Martian, Superboy, and Aqualad front and center in the comic series. And they can still have the other characters currently in the title. It was just completely dumb of them to not even try to get watchers of the TV show to pick up an in-continuity title with some of the same characters.

And I wish both the TV show and comic were more light-hearted.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

McSpanky posted:

It's a little different here. Once in the first season, Miss Martian was psychically assaulted by a villain and had six months of memories temporarily erased (along with the rest of the team), and in the rematch barely defeated the villain with the help of one of her teammates. Later in the season, after she'd learned a bit more about her own abilities, she went mano-y-mano with him and ended up reducing him to a drooling vegetable. That was kinda brutal, but understandable as a combination of a personal vendetta and her powers getting out of hand in the heat of the moment.

Then in the second season she did it again, except this time it definitely wasn't an accident, and it wasn't a do-or-die struggle against a powerful psychic foe. She just mind-crushed an alien general seemingly because she could, to remove him from the picture without straight up killing him. It's implied that it wasn't the first time she did it so casually, and also that she may not be fully aware of why this is a bad thing.

You did leave out the part about her doing it those last two times to gather intelligence from beings who you couldn't just go into normally.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

I'm not sure what you're complaining about? I wasn't saying anything about not including Solstice, just making fun of the way DC hyped her up. And made this series super gritty. With the reboot, they should have put Miss Martian, Superboy, and Aqualad front and center in the comic series. And they can still have the other characters currently in the title. It was just completely dumb of them to not even try to get watchers of the TV show to pick up an in-continuity title with some of the same characters.
DC did this before, even, in 2003 when the Teen Titans cartoon came out. The series was rebooted with the members from the show, plus former YJ members Wonder Girl, Kid Flash, and Superboy. They even resurrected Raven in a new teenage body and de-aged Beast Boy to fit as some kind of mediators between the 'old' members and the teens.

But that was basically the last time I can think of where the comics proper tried to synergize with the cartoons on TV.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

You did leave out the part about her doing it those last two times to gather intelligence from beings who you couldn't just go into normally.

Actually I had forgotten about that, sorry. But still, she shows a rather disturbing lack of concern for the consequences of those actions, to the point of possibly not even fundamentally understanding how others could see a problem with them.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm enjoying how Miss Martian is being used in YJ. I felt Martian Manhunter is one of the most poorly used characters in the DCU. Everyone loves to gush over Batman and Superman and totally ignore a super-strong shapeshifting mind-reader who could easily eclipse both of them. Martian Manhunter should be the most feared superhero on the planet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm enjoying how Miss Martian is being used in YJ. I felt Martian Manhunter is one of the most poorly used characters in the DCU. Everyone loves to gush over Batman and Superman and totally ignore a super-strong shapeshifting mind-reader who could easily eclipse both of them. Martian Manhunter should be the most feared superhero on the planet.

Yet if you have a match you can beat him

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

bobkatt013 posted:

Yet if you have a match you can beat him

You could kill Batman with a match too, but of course he'd have a fire extinguisher in his utility belt... Or he'd use ninja stop-drop-and roll moves.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

Superman has actually stated that this is true, I believe. Everyone underestimates J'onn, but he's really amazingly powerful. He's even a cool enough guy that he does a lot of superheroing in countries that don't have the League or their own superheroes to pick up the slack; he's famous worldwide, but overshadowed in the USA.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Liar posted:

You could kill Batman with a match too, but of course he'd have a fire extinguisher in his utility belt... Or he'd use ninja stop-drop-and roll moves.

He'd probably figure something was up once you doused him in gasoline, anyways

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Kurui Reiten posted:

Superman has actually stated that this is true, I believe. Everyone underestimates J'onn, but he's really amazingly powerful. He's even a cool enough guy that he does a lot of superheroing in countries that don't have the League or their own superheroes to pick up the slack; he's famous worldwide, but overshadowed in the USA.

The best thing that Mark Millar ever wrote (Or Grant Morrison wrote for Mark Millar) is a 6 page story where J'onn goes through a day off from JLA duty. That's the one where he talks about his recognition factor is greater than Superman's in Australia and parts of Asia.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite parts of Blackest Night came right at the beginning when Hal and Barry thought they had beaten an undead J'onn only for him to come back and say something to the extent of "I'm as strong as Superman. Why does everyone always forget that?"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I know some people will think this is weird, but I think my favorite Martian Manhunter was written by comedian Patton Oswalt. J'onn was a cop that hung out with the main characters firefighter father, and knew all along that he was stowed away on the JLA's moonbase.

Welcome to the Working Week is one of those JLA stories that doesn't get talked about enough, like Heaven's Ladder.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Superman has actually stated that this is true, I believe. Everyone underestimates J'onn, but he's really amazingly powerful.

From Justice League: The New Frontier

Batman posted:

"I have a $70,000 sliver of radioactive meteor to stop the one from Metropolis. With you, all I need is a penny for a book of matches."

...except what the Fernus storyline taught us is that he doesn't, he needs Plastic Man just to stand a chance against the guy who can not just shape-shift himself but probably you too.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
Beta Ray Bill is going to be in the next episode of Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

So I've binged through a bunch of EMH recently but I don't remember an episode or anything where they changed from 616 Fury to Ultimate Fury but I watched Sunday's episode yesterday and it Ultimate Fury.

I don't mind that's who it is but there's no explanation for the change and it was a little disjointed that not only did everyone accept that's who that is but they acted like nothing happened.

I bet Fury's a Skrull.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

RevKrule posted:

So I've binged through a bunch of EMH recently but I don't remember an episode or anything where they changed from 616 Fury to Ultimate Fury but I watched Sunday's episode yesterday and it Ultimate Fury.

I don't mind that's who it is but there's no explanation for the change and it was a little disjointed that not only did everyone accept that's who that is but they acted like nothing happened.

I bet Fury's a Skrull.

He was always an africian american. Or is there a diffrent thing you are talking about?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

RevKrule posted:

I bet Fury's a Skrull.
The only thing different is that he shaved his head. Same guy.

edit:

and he grew a stache.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 17, 2012

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I thought he was always drawn like 616 Fury, except black instead of white. It was a bizarre choice, in my opinion.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
It's probably to associate the animated version more with how Nick Fury is portrayed in the film so people new to the series can relate the two more easily. But, yeah, it was pretty weird when I first saw it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Nahxela posted:

It's probably to associate the animated version more with how Nick Fury is portrayed in the film so people new to the series can relate the two more easily. But, yeah, it was pretty weird when I first saw it.

You know who does not like it? Bryne. He said that he is not seeing th emovie and one of the complaints is that Fury is black.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I just figured Fury's new look is because he is undercover.

EDIT: Considering that Asgard/Odin/Loki was a major plot point in the entire first season, I'm slightly disappointed that we're getting another big Asgard sub-plot so soon after the end of the first one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

I just figured Fury's new look is because he is undercover.

In the comics at one point Fury uses an image inducer to look like Ultimate Fury.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

In the comics at one point Fury uses an image inducer to look like Ultimate Fury.

That would've been a better way to merge the 2 than loving "Battle Scars."

Wow, my memory's not as good as it used to be. Still, while those are two black men, they're two very different (drawn) black men and at least a nod to the change would've been nice.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

RevKrule posted:

That would've been a better way to merge the 2 than loving "Battle Scars."

Wow, my memory's not as good as it used to be. Still, while those are two black men, they're two very different (drawn) black men and at least a nod to the change would've been nice.

Could just be a change in animations styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

bobkatt013 posted:

Could just be a change in animations styles.

Well he's clearly drawn with lighter skin. I would certainly hope there's not some crazy racist reasoning behind that.

• Locked thread