Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
DD is so cool. I am so cool with this plot twist. I have a feeling that B2 Jack's jailbreak hijinks will never see any real form of resolution. Awesome meta-joke?

also, poo poo. the whole thing was a reminder of how glacially act 6 is going to be moving underneath the weight of like a dozen different subplots.
1. Jake and ghosts
2. Jane, Lil Seb and Gamzee in the medium
3. Roxy future hijinks
4. Dirk future hijinks
5. DD and the assassination plot on prospit/derse
6. Dave, Rose and trolls
7. John, Jade and Davesprite
8. Vriska and Tavros in the afterlife
9. Ms Paint and Spades Slick
And that's assuming that we're never really going to be seeing Aradia and Sollux again, or be joining Lord English or the Troll Queen from a POV perspective.

snucks fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
goddamn that was fantastic

DD for best character.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Seriously DD is the classiest motherfucker in the entire universe.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I was pumped for DD: Ascend in the classic style, but what I got was so much better.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So we're in agreement that the next panel is going to be him looking exactly the same, right?

(Because all the powers he gets from the ring are going to be non-prototyping ones, and thus, non-visual-altering, at least for now)

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I don't know what I was expecting.

But I think what I got was better than whatever I could have thought up anyway.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

That was excellent. The Vriska part had me laughing so hard.

Bobulus posted:

So we're in agreement that the next panel is going to be him looking exactly the same, right?

(Because all the powers he gets from the ring are going to be non-prototyping ones, and thus, non-visual-altering, at least for now)

Probably.

Joke option: It makes him Condesce-Prototyped, causing universal irony in him now becoming a gray lady.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Jane's hat finding face is horrifying.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Ok, what the hell am I missing here, I click on the update, it goes for about 20 seconds then it stops on the Condesce scratching a record. Is it supposed to forward to another page, is there something to click on the record page, I have no idea what's going on here...

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

GLOSS posted:

Ok, what the hell am I missing here, I click on the update, it goes for about 20 seconds then it stops on the Condesce scratching a record. Is it supposed to forward to another page, is there something to click on the record page, I have no idea what's going on here...

Look below the flash's frame for the ==>.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

My friend had that problem too, try refreshing the first flash page.

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

GLOSS posted:

That's DD putting his cigarette out on the record. Just go to the next page, there's more to the update.

Also, this is already one of my favorite flashes... I just have no freaking idea how I'm gonna translate this one even halfway appropriately into print.

Thankfully, I guess, I have a long time before I have to worry about the Act 6 book.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?

Mortal Sword posted:

That's DD putting his cigarette out on the record. Just go to the next page, there's more to the update.

Also, this is already one of my favorite flashes... I just have no freaking idea how I'm gonna translate this one even halfway appropriately into print.

Thankfully, I guess, I have a long time before I have to worry about the Act 6 book.

Get the technology in singing greeting cards and put it in the book this is clearly the most vital flash soundtrack.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Oh poo poo, I missed the arrow under the "[S] DD: Ascend." flash and wondered what everyone was going on about. I thought they were just joking because DD cut out the record before Black could get started.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

You could probably just put the lyrics beside the panels, right?

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Yeesh, I feel like an idiot for just missing the arrow underneath. Yeah that was kinda awesome...

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
This last bit has cleanly cemented DD as my favorite member of the Midnight Crew. Hilarious.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
That was wonderful. Stuff the theatrics, DD got his class on.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
How is it possible that the most action packed, story packed, just most tightly packed together flash with the most story advancement in the entire series...

Have such a loving smooth and classy song?

gently caress, I think this advanced more story threads than Cascade did.

Silva
Aug 26, 2003

Time is the fire in which we burn
I would've been ok with another [S] Ascend flash with Black playing, but this was actually better. This comic really needs more Diamonds Droog to jazz up the place. (I know, that wasn't jazz playing)

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

SatansBestBuddy posted:

How is it possible that the most action packed, story packed, just most tightly packed together flash with the most story advancement in the entire series...

Have such a loving smooth and classy song?

gently caress, I think this advanced more story threads than Cascade did.

Key word here of course being 'advanced' rather than 'ended.' After Cascade we had gone from dozens of little plot threads to, like, three or four. Don't get me wrong though, this was still probably one of the better flashes.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

That was a nice change of pace and all. But man, if left me with such blue balls that I might give Equius a run for his money. I need immediate closure!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Slick is alive, apparently!

The genetic code shot was made from the jumbled letters of "WHO'S THIS DOUCHEBAG":

The douchebag in question is, of course, Eddie Morton.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Bongo Bill posted:

Slick is alive, apparently!

The genetic code shot was made from the jumbled letters of "WHO'S THIS DOUCHEBAG":

The douchebag in question is, of course, Eddie Morton.

Its actually just WHO'S THIS DOUCEBAGWHO'S THIS DOUCHEBAG, etc.

This flash
This flash
:allears:

The best part was where Slick is still alive

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think it's completely obvious at this point that Eddie Morton is the original form of Lord English, before he transcended to the innumerable, invulnerable forms that he currently has in many different universes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

You could probably just put the lyrics beside the panels, right?
Yeah, this flash will not work at all in the books without the lyrics printed next to each panel. There are so many quick cuts in this flash too, I can imagine that it will take many pages!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zeruel posted:

The best part was where Slick is still alive

And just scaled a goddamn building after falling several hundred feet while bedridden with mortal injuries. You get an E for Exceedingly Classy, Droog, but there's a reason you're #2.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I laughed when the record scratched partway in even though I saw it coming.

I didn't expect what we got, though. drat DD is one classy motherfucker. :allears:

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Mortal Sword posted:

By the time that rolls around, this may be book-ready: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y80FWhwRAsc (flexible paper-thin OLED displays)

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Sockser posted:

Nipples in my homestuck?

We're in PG-13 territory, boys.

I feel kinda silly, but I was a bit struck by that too. Of course, we are already in hard-R territory for the number of f-bombs dropped. This isn't The King's Speech or Bully, with a limited number of tactically deployed cusses for maximum effect; we're in the middle of a veritable cascade of fuckwords, antiquated MPAA ratings be damned.

Parents: talk to your kids about Homestuck, before someone on the internet does.

(Incidentally I hope the beard and the inclusion of vintage erotica are not early indicators that we're entering Hussie's Lost Girls-era Alan Moore phase. :ohdear:)

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Oh poo poo, I missed the arrow under the "[S] DD: Ascend." flash and wondered what everyone was going on about. I thought they were just joking because DD cut out the record before Black could get started.

Gahahaha I was in the same boat but oh man, when I saw it...

That was easily the funniest flash so far. I haven't laughed that hard at anything else in Homestuck.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I thought it was kinda...mehhh. it jumped a bit too far all over the place.

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008
This flash'd definitely need the song lyrics in print. Even better would be if I could find the sheet music.

E: Found it.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
This was one of my favorite [S] pages just because of the music. We should have more classy flashes.

But now I hope we can switch to Dirk or Roxy's PoVs because I need to know what happens next. :ohdear:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So Hussie wasn't trying to marry vriska, he was trying to make her a god.
Got it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The best bit was Hussie being decked by Vriska.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

SirSamVimes posted:

Could someone make a gif out of that? Just so that whenever we get exceedingly angry at Hussie and his story we can just bust that poo poo out.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

SirSamVimes posted:

In a callback to Vriska getting decked by Kanaya, no less. It keeps happening.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Grapplejack posted:

So Hussie wasn't trying to marry vriska, he was trying to make her a god.
Got it.

I was always miffed at DD being pointlessly killed offscreen after so much build up as a horrifyingly competent hitman, but I'm fine with his and Jack's roles being switched now. Don't be surprised if we never go back to Jailbreak Jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's actually a little challenging to work out what's actually going on. There's a little new content in there, mixed in with the references and jokes. Gamzee and John kissing was funny, but obviously just funny. Aranea and Jake going down to the pink moon was sort of expected, but it's still advancement. Are we supposed to take anything from Jade and Davesprite reading the Midnight Crew MSPA? Are they going to recognize anyone? I need to rewatch this flash once or twice more.