Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
New page. New topic: Information about Snell 2010. The stuff about Snell vs DOT in regards to peak impact force vs. dwell time is kind of interesting. Hope you like charts!

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
I got rear ended at a stoplight finally.

I glanced over at a car at a red light, taking my hand off the right bar, and heard ABS jutters come up behind me. Even though I left it in gear and was tapping my rear brake, I had my hand off the throttle and by the time I had gotten ahold of it a Civic with two 30something women in it had already hit my rear tire at <5 MPH. I kickstanded it and told her to pull over so we could check everything over, but everything on mine was fine and her bumper wasn't even cracked. I was really chill up to the point I knew everything was solid, but I gave her some poo poo about how that could have been really bad for me and her if things had been slightly different. She started to do the crying-woman-in-an-accident suddenly, either because I put things into perspective or she thought I was going to call the cops. I probably freaked her out with the whole "you could have crippled or killed me" speech, but I ended up talking her down, shaking hands, and parting ways rather than deal with it further. Hopefully she'll/they'll keep more of an eye out in the future.

On my end, I need to keep both my hands on the bars and eyes on the mirrors at stops rather than check out the next lane over. I'm usually really good about that, but I thought there were going to be hot girls in the Jetta next to me. Instead I looked at a dude and got into a wreck with some chubby older women.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
It really doesn't matter if you have your hands on the bars or not. Any hit from behind that's going to hurt you is going to knock your hands of the bars anyways. (I'm talking about standing at a stop light only.)

Really glad you're okay. Are you sure everything is okay on your bike? That's awesome.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

An older woman hit me at a stoplight when I was on my crappy old Honda CM250 years ago. It bent my license plate a little and totally hosed up her headlight and housing. She also came out of the car lighting a cigarette nervously and saying that she didn't have insurance. If my experience was any indication you really don't have a lot of time to react to this type of incident.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Glad it wasn't a bad one dude.

In Australia they teach you to check your mirrors as you're slowing to a stop, to ensure that the car behind you appears to be slowing also. We are also taught to come to a stop in first gear, left foot down, ready to launch immediately if need be. I presume they teach something equivalent in the MSF?

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

front wing flexing posted:

It really doesn't matter if you have your hands on the bars or not. Any hit from behind that's going to hurt you is going to knock your hands of the bars anyways. (I'm talking about standing at a stop light only.)

Really glad you're okay. Are you sure everything is okay on your bike? That's awesome.

I think his point was that if he had his hands on the bars and was watching his mirrors, he could have seen that she wasn't slowing fast enough, and pulled off to the side to avoid the collision.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Glad it wasn't a bad one dude.

In Australia they teach you to check your mirrors as you're slowing to a stop, to ensure that the car behind you appears to be slowing also. We are also taught to come to a stop in first gear, left foot down, ready to launch immediately if need be. I presume they teach something equivalent in the MSF?

Yep, this was covered in the MSF. Sounds like that's his standard procedure... he just got distracted by the potential of hot chicks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

orthod0ks posted:

he just got distracted by the potential of hot chicks.

Really, what motorcyclist can say he hasn't done the same?

Aside from motorcyclists who are attracted to men, of course.

Edit: vvv Sorry. It wasn't a dig at you. I was just making an observation as to the nature of our passtime/chosen mode of transportation/lifestyle.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 9, 2012

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Safety Dance posted:

Really, what motorcyclist can say he hasn't done the same?

Aside from motorcyclists who are attracted to men, of course.

Was not claiming innocence.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this counts or not, but I tipped my bike over pulling out of my parking lot after work. Felt like a real idiot. I attempted to pull out and make a hard right turn going way too slow, probably around 2 or 3 mph, and felt myself start to tip over. I put my leg down to try and keep myself up but it was to no avail, and I don't have the upper body strength to keep my bike up, so I slowly laid it over at a standstill. No damage to my bike, and a nice guy behind me stopped and helped me stand my bike back up, made sure I was ok besides my damaged pride, but this was definitely something I should have avoided.

What did I do wrong? Took the turn way too slow and was leaned over too far for the speed I was doing. This was avoidable and I feel like a big idiot for doing it. I need to practice my slow speed cornering since I encounter a lot of it in the roads around work, and I need to find a way to pick up my bike solo. I'd estimate it weighs ~650 lbs. God do I feel like a big moron.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

americanzero4128 posted:

I need to find a way to pick up my bike solo. I'd estimate it weighs ~650 lbs. God do I feel like a big moron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPjYweKeiLk

This technique works on my 750+lb ST1300, on full dress Harleys and even Goldwings.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
I had my first drop last night, also. Came into a gravel driveway at an angle (evidently too fast) and the rear wheel slipped out from under me and put the bike down.

Luckily I was in full gear so there was no damage to me. My Ninja has a few more scratches on the fairings (both sides were marked up from the PO anyway) though. Geez if it doesn't bruise your ego a bit, but luckily I had just watched Long Way Round where Ewan dumps his bike a few dozen times on TV!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Corrupt Cypher posted:

I had my first drop last night, also. Came into a gravel driveway at an angle (evidently too fast) and the rear wheel slipped out from under me and put the bike down.

Luckily I was in full gear so there was no damage to me. My Ninja has a few more scratches on the fairings (both sides were marked up from the PO anyway) though. Geez if it doesn't bruise your ego a bit, but luckily I had just watched Long Way Round where Ewan dumps his bike a few dozen times on TV!

Did anyone see you drop it?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Corrupt Cypher posted:

Well sure, but he was driving around the world, not coming back from Taco Bell.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

This. I dropped mine the other day just because I was tired and didnt have the kickstand all the way down.

I just gently laid it down on its side, no one saw, and picked it right back up. So it never happened.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

Nope! Country road in the middle of nowhere! Never happened. Though for a moment I was worried it wasn't going to start as the gas found its way out of the carbs, and nobody wants to make that phone call!

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Just dropped my brand new bike cornering at like 10mph. I'm a newbie rider, and I came into the turn a little too slow and hit some sand. Next thing I know, I'm sideways. Jammed the shifter peg into the outer primary cover and couldn't shift down below 2nd. Fixed it by jamming a large screwdriver in there and bending it back out.

So other than a gouged clutch lever, scratched outer primary cover, and a slight dig on my visor, everything is fine. I would have just not told anyone ever, but sooner or later, someone will notice the clutch lever and give me poo poo about it.

Honestly it was mostly my fault, and there's a dozen things I could have done to not wipe out. But at least I got that out of the way.

Now to continue driving my Harley in a straight line like everyone else.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
aaand that's why new riders should never get new bikes

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Strife posted:

Just dropped my brand new bike cornering at like 10mph. I'm a newbie rider, and I came into the turn a little too slow and hit some sand. Next thing I know, I'm sideways. Jammed the shifter peg into the outer primary cover and couldn't shift down below 2nd. Fixed it by jamming a large screwdriver in there and bending it back out.

So other than a gouged clutch lever, scratched outer primary cover, and a slight dig on my visor, everything is fine. I would have just not told anyone ever, but sooner or later, someone will notice the clutch lever and give me poo poo about it.

Honestly it was mostly my fault, and there's a dozen things I could have done to not wipe out. But at least I got that out of the way.

Now to continue driving my Harley in a straight line like everyone else.

MSF Instructor when a Harley went by: "All that chrome and noise without the annoying side effect of power."

Also: "You take yours on curvy roads? You know that voids the warranty, right?"

Glad you're okay man. What kind of Harley? I'd dread having to pick up a bagger.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

iwentdoodie posted:

MSF Instructor when a Harley went by: "All that chrome and noise without the annoying side effect of power."

Also: "You take yours on curvy roads? You know that voids the warranty, right?"

Glad you're okay man. What kind of Harley? I'd dread having to pick up a bagger.

It's just a little Sportster 1200, so it's really not that heavy. I'll take a picture of it when the sun comes up.

aventari posted:

aaand that's why new riders should never get new bikes

Yeah, maybe, but it has insurance, so what difference does it make? Either repairing it costs less than $500 (which it does, I scratched the clutch lever, it's not the end of the world), or it costs more than $500, in which case it costs only $500, because it's insured. poo poo happens.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Strife posted:

It's just a little Sportster 1200, so it's really not that heavy. I'll take a picture of it when the sun comes up.

Yeah, maybe, but it has insurance, so what difference does it make? Either repairing it costs less than $500 (which it does, I scratched the clutch lever, it's not the end of the world), or it costs more than $500, in which case it costs only $500, because it's insured. poo poo happens.

A Sportster 1200 is at least 100 pounds heavier than most other motorcycles, so, yeah

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I guess it's light when compared to other Harleys, but it's still 500+ pounds when full of precious liquids.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Strife posted:

Sportster is one of the heaviest feeling bikes I've ever ridden. The weight is all up high and it's a seriously hard bike to handle at slow speeds. I think once on the road they handle just fine for being a cruiser. If you really think making a claim will only cost you $500 well I've got some news for you.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

n8r posted:

Sportster is one of the heaviest feeling bikes I've ever ridden. The weight is all up high and it's a seriously hard bike to handle at slow speeds. I think once on the road they handle just fine for being a cruiser. If you really think making a claim will only cost you $500 well I've got some news for you.
Disagree. The weight is actually pretty low compared to other bikes that weigh that much. But they're still 560lb. That's not light.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

n8r posted:

If you really think making a claim will only cost you $500 well I've got some news for you.

This. In my limited experience it is better to pay out of pocket than to make a claim for small damages. They will up your rate for a period to pay for the cost, and in the two cases my ex was in, they made a tidy profit as well.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I just assumed that "only 500" bit was sarcasm

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Perhaps "little Sportster 1200" was, as well.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

M4rg4r1ne posted:

Perhaps "little Sportster 1200" was, as well.

The insurance bit was sarcasm, but it actually feels pretty small to me. Well, for a cruiser.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I have a buddy who rides a Yama Virago 535 and he hopped on a friend's sportster to bump start it and told me that the sportster was lighter than his virago.

I haven't looked up the numbers yet but wtf. Maybe they're deceptively small and light.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you lower tire pressures about 10 pounds, bikes mysteriously get a lot more heavy.

If you put wider handlebars on a bike, they get a lot less heavy. People don't really understand that weight matters most in low speed cornering, and side to side transitions, besides that, the weight isn't usually all that noticeable, and if it is, it can often be completely masked by making modifications to the suspension setup. Raise the forks in the triples, or lower the back, or have those effects via a blown shock or poorly sprung forks, and most people will believe that the change in handling is due to weight, not suspension setup.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
Had more x-rays done today and while everything up to this point was good as gold, things aren't healing the way my Doctor would like anymore. My tibia and fibula aren't lining up to my ankle correctly and that would cause big problems down the road. Off to surgery I go, time to join the Rod and Plate club :toot:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Anarchist posted:

Had more x-rays done today and while everything up to this point was good as gold, things aren't healing the way my Doctor would like anymore. My tibia and fibula aren't lining up to my ankle correctly and that would cause big problems down the road. Off to surgery I go, time to join the Rod and Plate club :toot:

Can we call you Wolverine afterwards?

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
My first bike was a Sportser 1k that I built out of a box, that thing was heavy as poo poo and more of a deathtrap than I gave it credit for at the time. When I bought my SV the feeling of weight was night and day, it felt so light and breezy until I rode my friend's GS500 which felt like a mosquito. It's interesting what you get used to when it's what you ride all the time.

I thought the SV handled so well until I replaced the factory tires with some new Pilot Road 2s this weekend and I realized how clunky and slippery those old tires were. I'm feeling a combination of newfound confidence with actual good tires and dismay at how well I was riding on such crappy and maybe dangerous tires before. I had just gotten used to the little bit of give the bike had in corners over turn arrows as "how the bike handles". I was an idiot.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

himajinga posted:

When I bought my SV the feeling of weight was night and day, it felt so light and breezy until I rode my friend's GS500 which felt like a mosquito. It's interesting what you get used to when it's what you ride all the time.

When i bought my 690SM i was surprised how heavy and turd like my GS500 felt after.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Anarchist posted:

If I were a farmer, I'd have a tractor. If I were a hard rear end, I'd have a ton of tattoos. I'm a biker, I've got plates and screws.

I think we are all just trying to make the bike a part of us, one piece at a time.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

VendaGoat posted:

If I were a farmer, I'd have a tractor. If I were a hard rear end, I'd have a ton of tattoos. I'm a biker, I've got plates and screws.

I think we are all just trying to make the bike a part of us, one piece at a time.
Yeah! Just like Tetsuo:

:pervert:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Met up with a couple puddles of cage vomit this morning, and it didn't go well. Michigan U terminating in a red light. Low speed with sufficient lean to execute the turn. I knew the instant I saw the first one glistening it was fresh and probably going to present a problem. Then I noticed the second, concluded it was over, and by the time I processed the thought it was. I don't know that controls really enter into it or if it's worth analyzing in this case. Obviously a different line would have been preferable.

Shook it off, picked the 600 lb bastard back up, and shot over to a neutral corner to assess. I'm really impressed by how well it held up, having dumped other bikes in similar circumstances. Left peg's a little tweaked, the end of the shifter rubber was ripped off, and the t/s lens probably would have been just fine if I'd snatched it up immediately and not let a car or two run over it. Jumped on and went to work, performing 3.6 mph vertical turns and panicking at the slightest pavement imperfections. Me, I'm fine--a bit of soreness in the right wrist and some swelling in my left foot.

I was thinking about upgrading anyway. Maybe something like this:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

It took me a couple of months to lean more than 5° into a turn again after my first dumping. Maybe I should get a Piaggio MP3.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Marv Hushman posted:

Met up with a couple puddles of cage vomit this morning, and it didn't go well. Michigan U terminating in a red light. Low speed with sufficient lean to execute the turn. I knew the instant I saw the first one glistening it was fresh and probably going to present a problem. Then I noticed the second, concluded it was over, and by the time I processed the thought it was. I don't know that controls really enter into it or if it's worth analyzing in this case. Obviously a different line would have been preferable.

Shook it off, picked the 600 lb bastard back up, and shot over to a neutral corner to assess. I'm really impressed by how well it held up, having dumped other bikes in similar circumstances. Left peg's a little tweaked, the end of the shifter rubber was ripped off, and the t/s lens probably would have been just fine if I'd snatched it up immediately and not let a car or two run over it. Jumped on and went to work, performing 3.6 mph vertical turns and panicking at the slightest pavement imperfections. Me, I'm fine--a bit of soreness in the right wrist and some swelling in my left foot.

I was thinking about upgrading anyway. Maybe something like this:

I'm glad you are okay. Was this one different because you saw it coming? I remember you jumping on your backup bike mere hours after getting nailed by that pickup truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

M4rg4r1ne posted:

It took me a couple of months to lean more than 5° into a turn again after my first dumping. Maybe I should get a Piaggio MP3.

Yeah I'm a huge fan of parking the bike in a corner and walking it around now :(

Stretched busa here I come!

• Locked thread