Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
While I think it's entirely possible that Rothfuss thought this out and is saying or implying something about the Adem's physiology or society, his general approach to sexuality makes me think it's a hell of a lot more likely he just wanted sexy ninjas to have funny beliefs about sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xyzzyx
Jun 9, 2011

:nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan:

Above Our Own posted:

Actually he's dead on and your post was dumb. It's god awful writing and strains suspension of belief to the breaking point that a culture as long lived and advanced as the Adem, a culture that actively practices animal husbandry, wouldn't have realized that sex creates babies. It's stupid and has no basis.

Oh lord, yes. That's an absolute contradiction to their beliefs. Thanks for pointing that out, I can't believe I missed it. The whole Adem thing makes no sense at all even in-universe.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

So I haven't visited this thread in awhile and I think I missed a lot.

I finished the first book awhile ago and loved it, and I am 76 pages into The Wise Man's Fear. Am I in for a poo poo time?

Kvothe's god-modding doesn't bother me that much since I have watched so much god awful anime and have become used to it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

RebBrownies posted:

I finished the first book awhile ago and loved it, and I am 76 pages into The Wise Man's Fear. Am I in for a poo poo time?

Nah, you're fine. There are two big points in WMF that are brought up again and again, the Felurian chapters and the Adem reproduction theory. One of those is like a chapter long and the other is like a throwaway half a page. If you can ignore those, you'll be fine.

gouge away
Apr 17, 2005

durr

Notahippie posted:

While I think it's entirely possible that Rothfuss thought this out and is saying or implying something about the Adem's physiology or society, his general approach to sexuality makes me think it's a hell of a lot more likely he just wanted sexy ninjas to have funny beliefs about sex.

This is what I took from the book, it's just another case of Rothfuss seeing women as "the Other" and not normal like every dude ever born. They exist solely to be Kvothe's ninja skill teachers slash gently caress buddies, and the bizarre notion about how babies are made is just an afterthought stuck in there to give their culture some color, painting the matriarchal society as silly and narcissistic.

For whatever it's worth, even though I had some problems with Kvothe and the characterization of Denna, I still was enjoying the story right up to Felurian. Basically sex ruined everything in this book, including the Adem.

xyzzyx
Jun 9, 2011

:nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan:

gouge away posted:

For whatever it's worth, even though I had some problems with Kvothe and the characterization of Denna, I still was enjoying the story right up to Felurian. Basically sex ruined everything in this book, including the Adem.

The sex scenes were meant to subvert the prudish nature of earlier fantasy fiction. I'll give him some credit for trying, but I have to agree with you. The book might have been better without it.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

gouge away posted:

This is what I took from the book, it's just another case of Rothfuss seeing women as "the Other" and not normal like every dude ever born. They exist solely to be Kvothe's ninja skill teachers slash gently caress buddies, and the bizarre notion about how babies are made is just an afterthought stuck in there to give their culture some color, painting the matriarchal society as silly and narcissistic.

Imagine there's this race of super hot ninjas who want to have sex with guys at the drop of a hat. And here's the best part: they don't see men as having any connection with reproduction! If you knock up a lady ninja and skip town, she won't see any problem with it!

google THIS
Oct 17, 2005

keiran_helcyan posted:

Imagine there's this race of super hot ninjas who want to have sex with guys at the drop of a hat. And here's the best part: they don't see men as having any connection with reproduction! If you knock up a lady ninja and skip town, she won't see any problem with it!
Downside: they won't jump your disease-ridden barbarian bones unless you let them kick your rear end repeatedly and survive their razor tree.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

xyzzyx posted:

The sex scenes were meant to subvert the prudish nature of earlier fantasy fiction. I'll give him some credit for trying, but I have to agree with you. The book might have been better without it.

What, really? I know he accused people of being prudes about their being weirded out by the Felurian chapters, but I thought that was him explaining away their criticisms rather than actually deliberately trying to upset the status quo.

Melche
Apr 29, 2009

keiran_helcyan posted:

Also there are no gay people. In this completely sexually liberal society that hasn't figured out the link between sex and reproduction, and if you think about it for 5 minutes probably wouldn't even have a concept of heterosexuality. (I'm not accussing him of being homophobic, just saying stuff like that and the animal husbandry thing makes it pretty clear his aim in writing about them was less building up a consistent believable society, and more convoluted excuses for sex ninjas).

People harp on about the sex in the books because it looks like in the end, what his writing is really about is creepy wish fulfillment. Stuff like that is just where it comes out most garishly.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
To be "fair", Kvothe even asked the sex-ninja about cats reproducing or some such and her answer was "we're not animals". So the animal husbandry thing was kinda-sorta addressed a bit.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Rothfuss (kinda) answered a bunch of questions about the story.

Part 1: http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/?wbtrak=NGZiNTNmYWQtMTg4OGU3NTM=
Part 2: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/05/rothfuss-reread-pat-answers-the-admissions-questions

xyzzyx
Jun 9, 2011

Melche posted:

Also there are no gay people.

It was directly stated that the guys that run the Iolian(sp?) are gay. And it was implied that one of the patrons at the bar was interested in picking up Kvothe.

One of the false troupers was repeatedly harassed by one of the other guys for being gay.

The focus of the story is on Kvothe, so it's easy to miss the few times it's mentioned.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

I think he specifically meant in the Adem culture.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Above Our Own posted:

What Flatscan was saying is that the author has not provided a reasonable in-world explanation, and is inconsistent with both societies in his fiction and those in our real world.

You interpreted his post as saying, "because the author said so" which wasn't at all his point. He was saying, "the author hasn't provided reasonable rationale."

Exactly. It's Fantasy so you can get away with all kinds of weird poo poo, but it has to be internally consistent within the narrative. The way it's presented just reeks of sloppy writing, something that wasn't fully considered before being written and should of either been dropped or heavily reworked during the drafting process.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
UGH those interviews are so awful

Melche
Apr 29, 2009

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I think he specifically meant in the Adem culture.

Yeah exactly, like I said I wasn't accusing him of being homophobic for not having enough representation of gay people overall or anything. I was saying with the Adem he wrote up a society of total sexual permissiveness and didn't have a single mention of it, although it would clearly be a logical inevitable part of their culture.

Which to my mind kind of undermines the idea that he's trying to invent an interesting consistent culture, rather than writing Captain Bonesalot meets harkavagrant's Strong Independent Characters with a hand down his pants.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

anathenema posted:

What, really? I know he accused people of being prudes about their being weirded out by the Felurian chapters, but I thought that was him explaining away their criticisms rather than actually deliberately trying to upset the status quo.

I felt that way too when I saw that interview. Mostly because it's hard to buy his argument that fantasy fans are prudes when ASoIaF is popular as heck and will stay that way for quite some time thanks to the tv series. And I'm not a huge fantasy reader by any means but I'm under the impression that sex and the occasional rape scene aren't exactly uncommon sights in modern fantasy.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Srice posted:

I felt that way too when I saw that interview. Mostly because it's hard to buy his argument that fantasy fans are prudes when ASoIaF is popular as heck and will stay that way for quite some time thanks to the tv series. And I'm not a huge fantasy reader by any means but I'm under the impression that sex and the occasional rape scene aren't exactly uncommon sights in modern fantasy.

Yeah. I mean, if this was the 80s still, I could understand the sentiment more. But that ship has sailed, and long since.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
What other books should I put on my 'must read' list if I'm enjoying Rothfuss' stuff. Granted, its not the best literature around, but I enjoy stuff that's "easy to read".

Silkki
Apr 28, 2012

Flatscan posted:

The way it's presented just reeks of sloppy writing, something that wasn't fully considered before being written and should of either been dropped or heavily reworked during the drafting process.

So I take it that you feel that Adem women not getting pregnant is sloppy writing and something that wasn't fully considered. They should instead be pregnant, have less sex or use contraceptives.

Awesome that I understand you now. For some while I thought you took the whole 'Adem not understanding how babies are made thingy' to the picture over there. Cause that would have been beside the point.

Silkki fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 18, 2012

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
If he wanted to upset the fantasy status quo he should have written some kind of normal romance for his hero instead of a unique snowflake dream girl and a magical sex goddess. Just saying.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Phummus posted:

What other books should I put on my 'must read' list if I'm enjoying Rothfuss' stuff. Granted, its not the best literature around, but I enjoy stuff that's "easy to read".

Abercrombie's First Law series are good and quick and easy reads. Maybe Brandon Sanderson stuff too, although I'm not sure what specifically by him. The Mistborn series I guess.

e: I hate so much when authors/people defend questionable events by stating, welp they were/are just trying to subvert convention. Like subverting convention gives someone a free pass to be beyond criticism or something. Not to mention nowadays, it seems to be the convention to try to subvert convention, if that makes sense.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 18, 2012

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Phummus posted:

After Rothfuss, I read Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora, which totally owns. then I read Abercrombie's The First Law and his other two books, which own even more. After that, I picked up Sanderson's Mistborn, which is pretty cool despite a massive shift in tone after the first book.

I'm out of poo poo to read now. I tried to do The Malazan Book of the Fallen, but I can't get through it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Aggro posted:

After Rothfuss, I read Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora, which totally owns. then I read Abercrombie's The First Law and his other two books, which own even more. After that, I picked up Sanderson's Mistborn, which is pretty cool despite a massive shift in tone after the first book.

I'm out of poo poo to read now. I tried to do The Malazan Book of the Fallen, but I can't get through it.

I agree with this post. I wouldn't recommend going through all of First Law at once, despite how good it is; it's a goddamn downer. Mistborn's great and is a good introduction to Sanderson (pop into the thread if you want a more detailed recommendation). I'd probably recommend Lies of Locke Lamora above them all, though, because it's a fantastic, well-written thrill ride with great characters and story and world and seriously it's 100% great why are you reading my lovely post read the book.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Sophia posted:

If he wanted to upset the fantasy status quo he should have written some kind of normal romance for his hero instead of a unique snowflake dream girl and a magical sex goddess. Just saying.

Thanks, that sums up my own thoughts pretty well.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
Well those were really just normal run-of-the mill everyday ninjas.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

soru posted:

Well those were really just normal run-of-the mill everyday ninjas.
The only thing remotely original or interesting in Rothfuss' work is his approach to magic. Sympathy is well thought out and highly believable since its workings stem from real thermodynamics. It makes for some genuinely compelling wizardry because it has understandable limitations.

He's also very good at prose and his worlds have a Tolkeinesque focus on etymology and development of in-word societal myths and history, which adds a much needed level of depth to his world. However his settings are horribly cliched and his characters are mostly just boring one-dimensional plot movers and his narrative structure wanders incoherently. Then there's the PUA attitudes and high school level of emotional maturity demonstrated by most of the cast.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Above Our Own posted:

The only thing remotely original or interesting in Rothfuss' work is his approach to magic. Sympathy is well thought out and highly believable since its workings stem from real thermodynamics. It makes for some genuinely compelling wizardry because it has understandable limitations.

He's also very good at prose and his worlds have a Tolkeinesque focus on etymology and development of in-word societal myths and history, which adds a much needed level of depth to his world. However his settings are horribly cliched and his characters are mostly just boring one-dimensional plot movers and his narrative structure wanders incoherently. Then there's the PUA attitudes and high school level of emotional maturity demonstrated by most of the cast.
I tried as hard as I could to avoid this conclusion for as long as possible by telling myself that (1) it's a tragedy, and adult Kvothe, who is one part fuckup, one part has-been, one part loser, and one part depressed shadow of his former self, so therefore the ridiculous way he acts must eventually bite him in the rear end, (2) he's young, extremely talented, and extremely arrogant, so it makes sense that he'd be kind of... not quite emotionally developed, and (3) the whole framing of the possibly unreliable narrator leaves lots of leeway for things to actually have been a lot more reasonable.

But then I read Rothfuss' blog and that has basically shattered the illusion. At this point I pretty much have to go into full on cognitive dissonance mode and read everything with Denna as if Rothfuss actually knew what the hell he was writing and hold out hope that the third book won't have too much poo poo to collapse that cognitive dissonance.

Oh well! It's still pretty writing some of the time, and like you said the sympathy stuff is neat.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Above Our Own posted:

I pretty much agree with all of this but it's funny what varying degrees this affects people's enjoyment of this book. Like, despite agreeing completely with all of the criticisms, I still really enjoyed both of these books because the etymological and mythical development of the world is fascinating to me, and Rothfuss' prose honestly is pretty good. The chapters with Elodin teaching naming for example are great, and really the entire concept of naming magic and alars and stuff is good. Even stuff like the Felurian chapters gives rise to great mythology tidbits and the Ctheah giving it at least merit to the narrative. But all that said, holy poo poo is Deena a lovely and unlikeable character and her relationship with Kvothe is just awful in so many different ways.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I still think the books are more self aware of Denna than most people are giving credit. No one but Kvothe really has a super high opinion of her, Bast pretty clearly thinks she's nothing special in the frame to her introduction and in story pretty much all of Kvothe's friends think he's an idiot about her and he should shut the hell up about her.

Its always rough, especially in a story told on two levels like this, to figure out if the Denna stuff is just Kvothe being an overly romantic idiot or if we're supposed to buy it. I'm withholding judgement on it, and a lot of the other stuff, until we see it through the eyes of the omniscient narrator in the frame. If it agrees with Kvothe I'll totally buy into more of the anti-Rothfuss sentiment.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Above Our Own posted:

high school level of emotional maturity demonstrated by most of the cast.

The cast are teenagers. :ssh:

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Zore posted:

If it agrees with Kvothe I'll totally buy into more of the anti-Rothfuss sentiment.
The problem is that if Denna ends up totally loving Kvothe most of all, the author is really close to justifying Nice Guy attitudes.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

soru posted:

The cast are teenagers. :ssh:
Uh, a couple of them maybe? Kvothe is like 16 when he first attends the University and he makes it very explicit that it's extremely rare for someone so young to be admitted. And then there's you know, the rest of the characters in the story.

xyzzyx
Jun 9, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I tried as hard as I could to avoid this conclusion for as long as possible by telling myself that (1) it's a tragedy, and adult Kvothe, who is one part fuckup, one part has-been, one part loser, and one part depressed shadow of his former self, so therefore the ridiculous way he acts must eventually bite him in the rear end, (2) he's young, extremely talented, and extremely arrogant, so it makes sense that he'd be kind of... not quite emotionally developed, and (3) the whole framing of the possibly unreliable narrator leaves lots of leeway for things to actually have been a lot more reasonable.

But then I read Rothfuss' blog and that has basically shattered the illusion. At this point I pretty much have to go into full on cognitive dissonance mode and read everything with Denna as if Rothfuss actually knew what the hell he was writing and hold out hope that the third book won't have too much poo poo to collapse that cognitive dissonance.

Oh well! It's still pretty writing some of the time, and like you said the sympathy stuff is neat.

I concur with all of the above and still love the series.

I am a horrible person with cheap taste.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

xyzzyx posted:

I concur with all of the above and still love the series.

I am a horrible person with cheap taste.

Ah yes well I love it too. I'm not going to stack it up next to Faulkner or Hemingway but I'll be the first to admit that I can't wait to read the third book and that I was extremely satisfied with the second, Felurian and all.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
I enjoy calling my kitty "Cthaeh". Every time he meows, he's destroying my life.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Silkki posted:

I didn't say that Tolkien had done bad writing. I didn't even imply it. I love his books.

Welp, that was the only part of your previous post I agreed with and now you take it back?

isochronous
Jul 15, 2001

*Golf Clap*

xyzzyx posted:

Oh lord, yes. That's an absolute contradiction to their beliefs. Thanks for pointing that out, I can't believe I missed it. The whole Adem thing makes no sense at all even in-universe.

I believe Kvothe specifically asks a question about this, and the answer is something like "those are animals, we are Adem. would you blah blah blah some other animal comparison?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

I enjoy calling my kitty "Cthaeh". Every time he meows, he's destroying my life.

Time to change the name of one of my guinea pigs. Every time they squeak for veggies, they really mean to bring about absolute human misery!

• Locked thread