Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
I know what you mean. That's not the case here though, they serve no further purpose. It's not like your inventory will run out of room, but you can always use the cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Justice posted:

I know what you mean. That's not the case here though, they serve no further purpose. It's not like your inventory will run out of room, but you can always use the cash.

I've found this (needing cash) to be quite not true; after the first couple of full moons I've been swimming in so much cash that there's no more things to buy with it. You start getting insane sums like 300,000 yen from chests pretty regularly, on top of which Elizabeth will shower you with money from some of her quests, and add to that selling all the equipment, medals, miniboss vendor trash, etc. that gathers up in the inventory and suddenly I've got over two million. While the best equipment on sale costs like 200,000. What I'm saying is after the beginning money becomes Not A Problem.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Amppelix posted:

I've found this (needing cash) to be quite not true; after the first couple of full moons I've been swimming in so much cash that there's no more things to buy with it. You start getting insane sums like 300,000 yen from chests pretty regularly, on top of which Elizabeth will shower you with money from some of her quests, and add to that selling all the equipment, medals, miniboss vendor trash, etc. that gathers up in the inventory and suddenly I've got over two million. While the best equipment on sale costs like 200,000. What I'm saying is after the beginning money becomes Not A Problem.

You're gonna be pulling Messiah out of the Compendium a bunch of times to get his Heart Items, if you want to tackle the secret bosses. It costs even more to summon Persona in Maniac, but I assume if someone is asking questions about the game they're not playing that mode.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

dylan14 posted:

In Devil Survivor 2, does power charge affect just physical attacks or magic attacks ?
I believe it's both. I think the description is just something like "Boost the power of your next attack"

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Justice posted:

You're gonna be pulling Messiah out of the Compendium a bunch of times to get his Heart Items, if you want to tackle the secret bosses. It costs even more to summon Persona in Maniac, but I assume if someone is asking questions about the game they're not playing that mode.

Oh yeah, I basically never use the compendium so I forgot it costs money. How expensive does it get?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Amppelix posted:

Oh yeah, I basically never use the compendium so I forgot it costs money. How expensive does it get?

On regular modes, a Persona with all stats maxed out at 99 costs like 737,000 (give or take a thousand). It's been a while, but certain Skills may also raise the price. Maniac mode doubles (I think?) the cost of summoning Persona, so it forces you to make smarter Fusions because you will probably end up using them instead of just summoning another.

It's been a while since I played it, so my numbers may be off. It can get pretty expensive to repeatedly withdraw some of the stronger Persona late in the game, is my point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

OddObserver posted:

P.S. There are ways of beating the reaper in P3 that do not involve cheezing him
with that skill.
Believe me, it wasn't for lack of trying on my part doing it without Odin. I spent more hours than I'd like to admit fighting that rear end in a top hat.

I thought there were only two endings to P4; is there a recommended order as to whether I should tackle the Good or True Endings first?

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 16, 2012

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
No point in doing the good ending if you can shoot for the True Ending. Withtout spoiling, the true ending answers questions that the good ending leaves unanswered, and goes a bit further in time.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The True Ending is basically the Good Ending+. There's no Good Ending-only content.

Ice Cream Social
Nov 11, 2007
audi alteram partem

Amppelix posted:

Money will become a huge problem on hard mode and above. The beginning is really rough if you are trying to boost social links by having matching persona. The middle is definitely easiest, as you don't really need to go into the compendium much and you are past the initial hump. The end-game gets really cash-strapped if you are trying to fill out your compendium and get top-level persona. Even though you will have maxed out your yen, it goes down the drain real quickly when higher level persona cost over a million a pop.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm about to start on the Raidou games, is there anything that I should be on the lookout for regarding important secrets or plot events a la Nocturne's Fiends/Amala or P4's Bad Ending?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

TK-31 posted:

I'm about to start on the Raidou games, is there anything that I should be on the lookout for regarding important secrets or plot events a la Nocturne's Fiends/Amala or P4's Bad Ending?

Yes. This is the most important secret: Don't play Raidou versus The Soulless Army.

There's no way to like miss an ending or anything.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Speaking of Fiends/Amala is there anything non-intuitive there? I just fought the first of the riders and it seems like the general pattern is 'kill fiends, do Amala until you can't anymore, repeat'.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The only thing even like that is you get locked into a specific ending if you reach the very end of the labyrinth. Or that you can't get that ending if you enter the last dungeon before doing so.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Brother Entropy posted:

Speaking of Fiends/Amala is there anything non-intuitive there? I just fought the first of the riders and it seems like the general pattern is 'kill fiends, do Amala until you can't anymore, repeat'.

There's a guy in the First Kalpa (I think, anyway, might be the second) that you can talk to who will tell you about Fiend locations as they spawn in the game world. A couple of them (some of the Riders and Mother Harlot) are in places you've been to before and would have no reason to go back to, so check back with him if you're wondering about that.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment Portable's new opening. It's, um, not great. It's almost like a remake of the original opening, to the point where they animated some of the old filler FMV clips.

Also, it looks like P4G has a C/15+ rating in Japan instead of the B/12+ rating that the PS2 version had. Huh.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I honestly prefer that (especially the song) to the IS remade one. I mean IS's is crazy and cool, but it also features Lotus Juice.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Cityinthesea posted:

I honestly prefer that (especially the song) to the IS remade one. I mean IS's is crazy and cool, but it also features Lotus Juice.

That's true. I feel like Ulala, Katsuya and Baofu kind of got shafted in the new opening though, because their little scenes in the original opening were so much better. Especially Ulala's.

Speaking of Ulala:

Her fusion spell portrait is awesome.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Lotus Juice owns. :colbert: The music for this one is still good though.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 17, 2012

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Lotus Juice is fine, but I don't think he fits with EP or IS.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Cityinthesea posted:

Lotus Juice is fine, but I don't think he fits with EP or IS.

True enough. I haven't played EP or IS, but from what I've seen I could see why the style doesn't fit.

TurnipFritter posted:

Also, it looks like P4G has a C/15+ rating in Japan instead of the B/12+ rating that the PS2 version had. Huh.

Gotta adjust for those animated hot spring scenes! :shepicide: (In all seriousness, that is kinda weird the change was made. And I'm kind of surprised that it didn't have a higher rating already because of well...Mara.)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

And I'm kind of surprised that it didn't have a higher rating already because of well...Mara.

The SMT series has weird ratings in Japan. Nocturne, the game with a serial killer who skins his victims and wears their faces as a coat is rated A (All Ages :buddy:). Strange Journey was rated C. Every Persona game except for The Golden was rated B. The Raidou games were both rated C, while the Devil Survivor games were rated B.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment Portable's new opening. It's, um, not great. It's almost like a remake of the original opening, to the point where they animated some of the old filler FMV clips.

Wow. At first i really got my hopes up, because the original P2 OPs were some of the best intros ever (not even Lotus Juice can top them, no way), so remaking the EP OP couldn't be THAT bad, so i got my hopes up. But that... is still pretty bad. They just slapped some stuff together with no real direction. Eesh.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
It's kind of interesting they put Tatsuzou in the OP this time. He falls by the wayside a bit in the original game for all he's the big bad right up until Mt. Iwato. Then again, that's the problem...he gets maybe two dungeons where you're specifically going after him before the game reminds you he's just a speedbump on the way to punching Nyarly's face in. Compare Joker, who you're going after for the entire first half of the game. It's a little better if you haven't played IS first, so you don't know going in he's a speedbump, but he still gets pretty overshadowed.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So here's a bunch of screenshots of the newest announced Persona 4 Golden content

Rise's new Persona can do a bunch of new things like join in on All-Out Attacks, heal people, and pick them up from knock down. Then there's some pictures of the bug catching and fishing games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwoENTg7ZGI

And this is a compilation video of the 4 most recent clips Atlus released to show off some newer content. You've got some new Quest dialogue (in Japanese), Yosuke dressed up as a furry, Galactic Punt: Bike Edition, and fusing some of those Mitama monsters into "Neko Shogun"

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Galactic Punt: Bike Edition.

Oh my God, YES.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So I figure I'm going to back and actually try and finish Innocent Sin after putting it down when Final Fantasy 13-2 (and Devil Survivor 2, Xenoblade, Tales of Graces...) came out. I remember not really needing to ever switch personas because you could just fusion attack everything to death and get some sweet bonuses for doing it, does that change later in the game, or can you seriously coast on how ridiculously powerful that is throughout most of the game?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Artix74 posted:

So I figure I'm going to back and actually try and finish Innocent Sin after putting it down when Final Fantasy 13-2 (and Devil Survivor 2, Xenoblade, Tales of Graces...) came out. I remember not really needing to ever switch personas because you could just fusion attack everything to death and get some sweet bonuses for doing it, does that change later in the game, or can you seriously coast on how ridiculously powerful that is throughout most of the game?

You can just coast by on the Personas you get during the plot, as long as you remember to do the stuff you need to do to get them. I only fused, like, one Persona during the game, and that was to get Estoma. :v:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Artix74 posted:

You can pretty much coast until maybe the final battle. You may want to pick up a persona that has Photon Cannon for Eikichi, because it's a physical (well, "Havoc") attack that hits all enemies and that's just super useful for him.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Policenaut posted:

Galactic Punt: Bike Edition,
...so basically Nanaca Crash?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Policenaut posted:

So here's a bunch of screenshots of the newest announced Persona 4 Golden content

Rise's new Persona can do a bunch of new things like join in on All-Out Attacks, heal people, and pick them up from knock down. Then there's some pictures of the bug catching and fishing games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwoENTg7ZGI

And this is a compilation video of the 4 most recent clips Atlus released to show off some newer content. You've got some new Quest dialogue (in Japanese), Yosuke dressed up as a furry, Galactic Punt: Bike Edition, and fusing some of those Mitama monsters into "Neko Shogun"

Considering it's Japan, I would not be surprised if there is a furry edition for all the characters.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
And that's AO's route complete. Spoilers ahoy. The actual ending itself wasn't really too impressive - it was pretty much what i expected. He did have some interesting events though, so his route was worth following. Al's a cool dude! I was also surprised that Yamato even dies like a badass. :allears: Seriously, at this point Yamato is directly competing with Jungo for Best SMT Character. Either way, i think i'm done with the game for now, since DS1 is on the way and all.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Technique posted:

I was also surprised that Yamato even dies like a badass. :allears: Seriously, at this point Yamato is directly competing with Jungo for Best SMT Character. Either way, i think i'm done with the game for now, since DS1 is on the way and all.[/spoiler]

I liked Yamato a lot. I enjoyed his path and appreciated his backstory.Given the nature of the Yamato familie's responsibility and his isolated upbringing made his attitude a bit more justifiable. I also really liked that the game allowed the MC to influence Yamato in a more social friendly direction.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So i don't really care about P4A, but i had to check out some of the music, and is it just me, or does Mitsuru's theme sound REALLY Melty Blood-ish? I mean, the part at 0:45 sounds like it straight up borrows a few parts from Arcueid's theme. Am i just being tonedeaf again?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You're right, that segment really does sound like Arcuied's theme.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I'm sorry about this everyone, but i just had to do it. I just needed to get it out of my system. :(

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Policenaut posted:

Neko Shogun was in P4 already, though making it with a quad-Mitama fusion is new. Either there are a lot of new specific multi-card recipes for existing Personas, or fusing the Mitamas like that creates completely random Personas.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Uh, it's already a cross fusion with the 4 mitamas? :confused:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Technique posted:

I'm sorry about this everyone, but i just had to do it. I just needed to get it out of my system. :(

I forgot all about that. That needs to be in the OP. Speaking of which, I don't see a Devil Survivor 2 part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
I've finally been called out. :nyoron: Yeah, I need to update some things. (and maybe make that P3/4 image less terrible).

So for Devil Survivor 2, is the general idea that it's a better game mechanics/character wise (with the addition of a compendium and the fate system), while largely remaining the same and having a worse plot?

Also, if anyone wants to write a blurb, go ahead.