Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Got my A4 taken back to dealer so they can destroy my irritating sunroof squeaking/creaking for once and for all. Got a 2012 A4 as a loaner...mmmf, feels snappier and the body styling is definitely way more aggressive than my 2006.

Though, I am getting my windshield replaced this Saturday (the crack in it has grown to around 10" long at this point), am I dooming myself to a lifetime of whistling air leaks and increased road noise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

movax posted:

Got my A4 taken back to dealer so they can destroy my irritating sunroof squeaking/creaking for once and for all. Got a 2012 A4 as a loaner...mmmf, feels snappier and the body styling is definitely way more aggressive than my 2006.

Though, I am getting my windshield replaced this Saturday (the crack in it has grown to around 10" long at this point), am I dooming myself to a lifetime of whistling air leaks and increased road noise?

I had my GTI's windshield replaced by Safelite after I cracked it, and apart from the car smelling like glue for a few months and giving me a bit of a head buzz, it hasn't caused any extra road noise.

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

One cannot fight that which has no basis in reality.

chutwig posted:

I had my GTI's windshield replaced by Safelite after I cracked it, and apart from the car smelling like glue for a few months and giving me a bit of a head buzz, it hasn't caused any extra road noise.

Did you compare the price of Safelite supplied glass and OEM, and if you did how did the prices compare?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

siliciferous posted:

Did you compare the price of Safelite supplied glass and OEM, and if you did how did the prices compare?

I didn't do any price comparisons because I needed the car for a road trip the next day and didn't want to do it with a rapidly growing crack in the windshield. Satellite ended up being just a hair under $500, which I thought was relatively reasonable given that they come out and do everything.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I found a huge disparity in prices when I had the glass on my Jetta replaced a few years ago. The glass market is a bit of a racket with only a couple suppliers, but shop around.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I had the windshield in my GTI replaced last summer after a storm cracked it somehow during the night.
Safelite did it and my insurance paid for it(hooray no deductible for glass)
I didn't notice any increase in noise after they were finished.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Awesome. The Safelite guy just came over today and replaced the windshield, very cool guy, had been doing it for 11 years. Still letting it sit in the garage today, will see what the road noise is like tomorrow.

Sporting some sweet Chinese glass now:

chutwig
May 28, 2001

movax posted:

Sporting some sweet Chinese glass now:

That's funny, I got OEM VW glass from Safelite. Has the OEM Saint-Gobain stamp and a VW logo and all that.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

chutwig posted:

That's funny, I got OEM VW glass from Safelite. Has the OEM Saint-Gobain stamp and a VW logo and all that.

I tried to get that via insurance, but they didn't authorize it :(

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I had both the driver's side window and windshield replaced by safelite and both were chinese knockoff bullshit. But they both fit and didn't cause any issues. But I did miss the little VW logo. Traded the car in roughly 6 weeks after getting the new windshield put in. There's just something about driving a car that has been to the body shop 3 times and had the windshield replaced that doesn't inspire confidence. That car was a magnet for assholes.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

I had both the driver's side window and windshield replaced by safelite and both were chinese knockoff bullshit. But they both fit and didn't cause any issues. But I did miss the little VW logo. Traded the car in roughly 6 weeks after getting the new windshield put in. There's just something about driving a car that has been to the body shop 3 times and had the windshield replaced that doesn't inspire confidence. That car was a magnet for assholes.

Heh, no increased road-noise or anything from the new windshield, but I never realized just how many loving bugs you hit in an average drive; went from pristine to "normal" in like 30 minutes.

Will report back if I get cancer or something from radioactive windshield glass. :downs:

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
gently caress Safelite.

I had them replace my windshield here in MA last winter when an ice ball flew off an overpass and cracked my windshield 2ft across.

They replaced my windshield, yeah, but they also damaged the gently caress out of my dashboard trying to remove the glass from the inside. They used some sort of wedging tool and scuffed up the entire edge of the dashboard in my car.

It cost $2000 to replace the dashboard and it took me over a month of calling the local office everyday to get them to pay.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

dustywusty posted:

If it was replaced with a pump with a plastic impeller, it's not completely out of the question that it's busted again.

veedubfreak posted:

To be fair, my 1.8t poo poo out its first water pump at only 38k miles.

Welp, it's the loving water pump. The impeller split like a grape. Looks like Pac Man. the splined shaft wasn't even touching the plastic. UGHGUGDSlfjasdkfklaj!@#!
I'll get pics up later as I don't have it in hand. I had someone else do it for me, I have a bad back so I'm done with working on cars myself. VW has tried real hard on steering people away from their vehicles.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Thought you guys might want to know some websites are saying the new Golf MK7 2.0 TDI will have 190 horsepower and about 280lbs of torque. That represents a not-insignificant gain over the outgoing model. It should also provide some of that much needed power people have been craving.

Hopefully the engine won't be downgraded back to 140 for the North American market.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DerDestroyer posted:

Thought you guys might want to know some websites are saying the new Golf MK7 2.0 TDI will have 190 horsepower and about 280lbs of torque. That represents a not-insignificant gain over the outgoing model. It should also provide some of that much needed power people have been craving.

Hopefully the engine won't be downgraded back to 140 for the North American market.

Oh it will be. It wiiiiiiiiill be.

We never get the fun cars here.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

They should release it under a performance TDI package; I recommend they bring back the "Thunderbunny" name.

Just how dumb an idea would it be to get a class-I hitch installed on my Mk5 Jetta TDI for the purposes of having an easily removable bike rack? I was thinking about something along the lines of this. I tried to run with a roof rack but I hate the noise when it is on and it is a pain in the rear end to take on and off.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DerDestroyer posted:

Have you driven the 140hp current TDI in a Golf? The car has plenty of power for what it costs. It isn't the fastest off the line, but accelerating to pass is a breeze. The TDI is for efficiency in the states, thats why you don't see the GTD over here. If you wanted a big, fast diesel car your best option was the outgoing 335d with it's 265hp/425ft/lb engine.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

Have you driven the 140hp current TDI in a Golf? The car has plenty of power for what it costs. It isn't the fastest off the line, but accelerating to pass is a breeze. The TDI is for efficiency in the states, thats why you don't see the GTD over here. If you wanted a big, fast diesel car your best option was the outgoing 335d with it's 265hp/425ft/lb engine.

I understand that, I was referring to some of the complaints in this thread that led people to get GTIs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Bovril Delight posted:

Have you driven the 140hp current TDI in a Golf? The car has plenty of power for what it costs. It isn't the fastest off the line, but accelerating to pass is a breeze. The TDI is for efficiency in the states,

That's only really because you don't get the efficient petrol models - the 118TSI is nearly as efficient as the 103TDI and way nicer to drive (IMO except for the 7 speed DSG which is a disaster)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

That's only really because you don't get the efficient petrol models - the 118TSI is nearly as efficient as the 103TDI and way nicer to drive (IMO except for the 7 speed DSG which is a disaster)

I drove a friend's 1.4l TSI with the 7 speed DSG a couple days ago and thought it was pretty nice. What's wrong with the DSG? v:downs:v

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

If VW would just bring the GTD over here I would be at the dealership as soon as they announce it to order one. Also, while I'm dreaming, BMW can bring the M550d over here as well.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mastermind2004 posted:

If VW would just bring the GTD over here I would be at the dealership as soon as they announce it to order one. Also, while I'm dreaming, BMW can bring the M550d over here as well.

You can probably get the 330d next year.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Sooo... Limp mode is happening on the '98 Jetta TDI. Is this the place to ask around about how to fix that or would that be a different thread?

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

keykey posted:

Sooo... Limp mode is happening on the '98 Jetta TDI. Is this the place to ask around about how to fix that or would that be a different thread?

Read the codes yet?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

dustywusty posted:

Read the codes yet?

Yeah, P01550 is the code I'm getting. I just replaced my vacuum lines and N75 last December since I figured it was time anyway as preventative maintenance, 265k miles. I have pressure tested the blue line off the n75 that goes to the turbo and it held 15lbs pressure for about 2 minutes before I cut pressure on the pump tool. There was some oil going up the line though I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen or not while pressure testing. Also, it seems to happen most if the A/C is on and around 2200-2300 rpm. Another thing I notice is a clicking in the drivers side dash on initial acceleration. I'll be accelerating and it will click once then I have a lot of power then it'll click again and I'll have 3/4 the amount of power and it will stay this way. I've noticed it's fairly temperature related too. If it's cold outside, nothing will usually happen unless I'm trying to accelerate up a hill. If it's warm outside, it'll go into limp mode once every 15-45 minutes in the 2200-2300 rpm range while in fifth, sometimes even when changing from first gear to second in town.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

keykey posted:

Yeah, P01550 is the code I'm getting. I just replaced my vacuum lines and N75 last December since I figured it was time anyway as preventative maintenance, 265k miles. I have pressure tested the blue line off the n75 that goes to the turbo and it held 15lbs pressure for about 2 minutes before I cut pressure on the pump tool. There was some oil going up the line though I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen or not while pressure testing. Also, it seems to happen most if the A/C is on and around 2200-2300 rpm. Another thing I notice is a clicking in the drivers side dash on initial acceleration. I'll be accelerating and it will click once then I have a lot of power then it'll click again and I'll have 3/4 the amount of power and it will stay this way. I've noticed it's fairly temperature related too. If it's cold outside, nothing will usually happen unless I'm trying to accelerate up a hill. If it's warm outside, it'll go into limp mode once every 15-45 minutes in the 2200-2300 rpm range while in fifth, sometimes even when changing from first gear to second in town.

Sticky wastegate issues? Shot in the dark, obviously.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

dustywusty posted:

Sticky wastegate issues? Shot in the dark, obviously.

That's the thing that's weird. If the wastegate was the problem, it works perfect other than in that range. If it was a sticky wastegate, it would stick at random intervals rather than a perfect range everytime right?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

keykey posted:

That's the thing that's weird. If the wastegate was the problem, it works perfect other than in that range. If it was a sticky wastegate, it would stick at random intervals rather than a perfect range everytime right?

Did you change the little vacuum hose that goes into the ECM when you replaced the rest? It often gets overlooked and causes boost problems.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Billy Tully posted:

Did you change the little vacuum hose that goes into the ECM when you replaced the rest? It often gets overlooked and causes boost problems.

Yes, I changed that one too.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My MkV Jetta is making a clunk when I turn the wheel at a stop (noticed it while maneuvering for parallel parking). What the hell could be causing that at 25k miles?

Edit: Audio File, first clunk is at around 14 seconds, near the end of the file I was just wiggling the wheel back and forth and it kept doing it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?w95eif93f11kki2

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 19, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

What the hell could be causing that at 25k miles?

Doesn't much matter as it's under warranty.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Motronic posted:

Doesn't much matter as it's under warranty.

Well, yes of course there's that, but I'm about to drive halfway across the country and I don't want my car stuck in the shop for a week or to have a wheel fall off on I-20.

edit: I already made a service appointment, I'm just bitching to the internet and wondering what it could be now.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 19, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Well, yes of course there's that, but I'm about to drive halfway across the country and I don't want my car stuck in the shop for a week or to have a wheel fall off on I-20.

Here's the thing: no one can tell you if it's dangerous over the Internet. It has to be physically inspected. If it's not big deal, it's not going to be in the shop for a week. If it is a big deal missing your trip or finding alternate transportation is better than a high speed accident.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I have an '05 A4 (1.8) with the Audi Navigation Plus Bose system, I have 3 questions about it (which might be better suited to the car stereo ask/tell but I'll try here).

1. When you press the TEL button it just says Telephone Not Installed. How do you get a phone installed, is it bluetooth, wired, something else? My wife and I both have Android phones. Is there something else I need to make it work?

2. Ipod. This thing has DVD, CD, 2 SD card slots but no ipod hookup? Am I missing something? Is there an adapter I can get to use an ipod through the stock interface? We don't use the CD changer at all, is there an adapter than can replace the changer with your ipod and be controlled through the interface (I know fords can do this, which is why I wonder)

3. The car is a cabriolet, the bose system sounds really good, but having a 12" sub in my car when I drive this it seems to lack bass, anyone use/recommend a small self contained sub box/amp that sounds good with the bose system and uses very little trunk space? I'm thinking something along the lines of this

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm looking into possibly picking up an '00-02 S4 and wondering what big things I should be looking out for. It seems that most of them with under 100k mile are going for around $10-12k with the occasional 00 with 130k+ miles for $7k.

What kind of repairs can I expect coming up on around 100-125k on these cars? I don't have any Audi/VW experience.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cynode posted:

I have an '05 A4 (1.8) with the Audi Navigation Plus Bose system, I have 3 questions about it (which might be better suited to the car stereo ask/tell but I'll try here).

1. When you press the TEL button it just says Telephone Not Installed. How do you get a phone installed, is it bluetooth, wired, something else? My wife and I both have Android phones. Is there something else I need to make it work?

2. Ipod. This thing has DVD, CD, 2 SD card slots but no ipod hookup? Am I missing something? Is there an adapter I can get to use an ipod through the stock interface? We don't use the CD changer at all, is there an adapter than can replace the changer with your ipod and be controlled through the interface (I know fords can do this, which is why I wonder)

3. The car is a cabriolet, the bose system sounds really good, but having a 12" sub in my car when I drive this it seems to lack bass, anyone use/recommend a small self contained sub box/amp that sounds good with the bose system and uses very little trunk space? I'm thinking something along the lines of this

1. Reasonably certain it is an extra module, and you might need SW to flash/set new calibration data to indicate to the vehicle that it now has a telephone unit.

2. Yeah, I got mine from USASpec via Crutchfield, IIRC. Mine is a 2006 A4 with the Symphony audio unit (not Bose, I'm pretty sure). It works pretty well, in my opinion, for what it is and what the stock unit is.

No idea on #3.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Plinkey posted:

So I'm looking into possibly picking up an '00-02 S4 and wondering what big things I should be looking out for. It seems that most of them with under 100k mile are going for around $10-12k with the occasional 00 with 130k+ miles for $7k.

What kind of repairs can I expect coming up on around 100-125k on these cars? I don't have any Audi/VW experience.

Find one that has had the turbos replaced or have the several thousand dollars it takes to have the turbos replaced burning a hole in your pocket.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

Find one that has had the turbos replaced or have the several thousand dollars it takes to have the turbos replaced burning a hole in your pocket.

Would it be better to go for an 04 because it seems like 00-02 + new turbos = 04 price.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Alright so I've reached the limit with my old '01 A4 1.8T Quattro. Great car but a ridiculous money pit for maintenance.

Sooo...looking to trade in for a new car on lease since my wife and I put maybe 5-6k miles a year on the car. I'd rather go back to a monthly payment that is predictable that covers repairs and such than being surprised by 1-2k repairs at a pop

Initially I was looking at the '12 A4s, but a friend of ours recommended we try out the Q5 since they seem to be good for shorter people (my wife, at 5'2"). Looking at that as well as the VW Tiguan, gonna try and test drive each of them in the next day or so

What are everyone's thoughts on the Q5 vs the Tiguan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Plinkey posted:

Would it be better to go for an 04 because it seems like 00-02 + new turbos = 04 price.

I'd personally take a B5 over a B6, but that's just me. I don't know anything about the v8 cars other than the fact they have a crazy timing chain layout.