Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Death By The Blues posted:

Visually this film doesn't look interesting. For all the flack Raimi got with his, they at least had his unique visual brand.

Have you and I been watching the same trailers for Marc Webb's take on Spider-Man? Someone mentioned it before, but I've never seen footage at night look so vibrant and wonderfully saturated before seeing The Amazing Spider-Man footage. Seriously, the aesthetic of the film looks pretty drat great in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Movie looks good but I'm already angry at how loving often Spidey unmasks/gets unmaked.

Holy poo poo I know you have to show that pretty face but c'mon.

It is trying to be like Ultimate Spider-Man

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

varlet posted:

Peter giving the kid his mask was adorable. :3:

That was genuinely my favorite part and I really hope that if the plot sucks, we at least get a ton of real "human" moments like that. It adds so much dramatic ballast to the proceedings that it's unreal.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

That car scene gave Peter Parker more character and humanity than Raimi's entire trilogy.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That car scene gave Peter Parker more character and humanity than Raimi's entire trilogy.

It's a really neat scene that sets up a nice parallel between Peter and the kid where the mask gives them strength to do something they usually can't at all. The mask is just Peter's way of fooling/pretending to himself that he's a real super hero and is able to do great things, like a coping mechanism that teens will have when they're up against something they can't comprehend or control.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch
If this was mentioned earlier I think I missed it, but does anyone have any idea who's talking to Connors about Peter's parents? I was thinking it might be Norman Osborne in a small role to set up possible sequels, but I haven't seen anything to confirm that.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

indigenous nudity posted:

If this was mentioned earlier I think I missed it, but does anyone have any idea who's talking to Connors about Peter's parents? I was thinking it might be Norman Osborne in a small role to set up possible sequels, but I haven't seen anything to confirm that.

It's Irrfan Khan (The investigating detective in Slumdog Millionaire) who plays Dr. Ratha, someone who works at Oscorp with Conners.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It's Irrfan Khan (The investigating detective in Slumdog Millionaire) who plays Dr. Ratha, someone who works at Oscorp with Conners.
I have no idea how big his role is in this movie, because there's been loads of changing information about his character. First he was going to be the 2nd villain, then we found out that didn't happen because the actor didn't want to play a villain. So who really knows. He hasn't appeared in a single trailer yet that I've seen, which leads me to believe they're keeping him under wraps for a reason.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have no idea how big his role is in this movie, because there's been loads of changing information about his character. First he was going to be the 2nd villain, then we found out that didn't happen because the actor didn't want to play a villain. So who really knows. He hasn't appeared in a single trailer yet that I've seen, which leads me to believe they're keeping him under wraps for a reason.

He has been in at least one of the trailers, there's a shot of the Lizard ripping car doors off looking for him on the bridge.

DeathChill
Feb 28, 2005
I play by my own rules, baby.

It's not. It's probably Norman Osborn, but no one knows yet.

Here's an interview with Marc Webb where they ask him:

quote:

Q: Not to get too specific about the trailer, but who was the voice that said, "Did you tell the boy about his father?"
Webb: Oh! [laughs] You'll have to see the movie.

Q: So it's intentional mystery?
Webb: Yeah.

Also, every single scene with Spider-Man shows that Marc Webb really gets his movement. It looks absolutely amazing.

DeathChill fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 17, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

The guy had an indian accent! Unless they are making Norman from Mumbai, I doubt it's Norman Osborn.

DeathChill
Feb 28, 2005
I play by my own rules, baby.

The guy had an indian accent! Unless they are making Norman from Mumbai, I doubt it's Norman Osborn.

I am not sure that you're thinking of the right scene. The scene I'm talking about (and assuming the original poster of the question) is when Connors is in some sort of cell and some creepy skinny looking white guy asks him if he told the boy about his father. Definitely no Indian accent.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm personally expecting a Norman Osborn reveal at the very end of the film, since this movie heavily involves Oscorp and I find it hard to believe he won't appear in at least some minor capacity.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
It'll be a 3 second clip of him peering in all creepy like from a dark doorway when Spidey beats Lizard.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The actor in the cell is not Khan. In high res you can see it's a white guy. Almost sickly white but that could be the lighting. Could be a Stromm-type character that works for Osborn so that they can wait to worry about who to cast as Norman until a subsequent film.

Also, given what Webb has said about the story of Peter's parents not being finished with this first movie, I wonder if the Connors-Mystery Guy scene is from the end of the film, after Connors has been captured.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Is it true that Fox isn't too happy with what they've seen so far?
Some goon mentioned it in passing in maybe the superhero movie thread.

The trailers look great, though.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

SpaceMost posted:

Fox "not liking it" predisposes me to liking something.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 17, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SpaceMost posted:

I assume that means it is not like the Raimi films

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 17, 2012

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

SpaceMost posted:

:eng101: Fox doesn't like it because it's going to make a shitload of money for Sony

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I don't know why Sony's nervous. I mean, is there any reason to think this movie won't make at least 200 million domestic? I don't know what the budget was, but they can't possibly be expecting Avengers or Dark Knight Rises numbers.

I dunno, I'm psyched to see it. There are a lot of different angles that a Spider-Man movie can cover that other superhero films can't and the Raimi films barely explored any of it. It looks like it'll easily be the best Spider-Man film unless these are crazy, misleading, Green Lantern-level previews.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume that means it is not like the Rani films

Oh god, a Spider-Man/Time and the Rani crossover? My darkest fears in one film.

MortonTheCranium
Nov 25, 2004

We're cousins. (bros)

LesterGroans posted:

I don't know why Sony's nervous. I mean, is there any reason to think this movie won't make at least 200 million domestic? I don't know what the budget was, but they can't possibly be expecting Avengers or Dark Knight Rises numbers.

I dunno, I'm psyched to see it. There are a lot of different angles that a Spider-Man movie can cover that other superhero films can't and the Raimi films barely explored any of it. It looks like it'll easily be the best Spider-Man film unless these are crazy, misleading, Green Lantern-level previews.

I assume because idiots are afraid of change, even if it will still make bank.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

LesterGroans posted:

One of those hasn't even come out yet, and before Spider-man 3 muddied the waters you can sure this franchise would've been seen as a competitor for the $1 billion crowd.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

PriorMarcus posted:

One of those hasn't even come out yet, and before Spider-man 3 muddied the waters you can sure this franchise would've been seen as a competitor for the $1 billion crowd.

Yeah, but Spider-Man 3 did come out. This movie's probably not going to come near $1 billion but it'll still definitely make money, which is why Sony's nervousness confuses me.

Also, I don't get what you mean by "one of those hasn't even come out yet". Are you doubting that DKR is going to make bank, or are you saying that Sony's nervous because of the competition?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Reminder that Spider-Man 3, as much as people reacted badly to it, almost made a billion dollars. Like, I'm talking spitting distance close.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wasn't it by far the most successful Marvel franchise film until recently?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wasn't it by far the most successful Marvel franchise film until recently?

At that point the only real competition would have been x-men and Blade.

Do you mean individual films or film series?

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 17, 2012

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I believe so, yeah. Up until Avengers, it made more than any other Marvel movie that I'm aware of. I think the closest behind it was Iron Man, and there's like a $150 million drop to get to that, if not more.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, but Spider-Man 3 did come out. This movie's probably not going to come near $1 billion but it'll still definitely make money, which is why Sony's nervousness confuses me.

Also, I don't get what you mean by "one of those hasn't even come out yet". Are you doubting that DKR is going to make bank, or are you saying that Sony's nervous because of the competition?

Sorry, I wasn't clear at all, I mean Sony is nervous about the competition. Three massive superhero films in one summer, two of which are long-awaited franchise installments has got to seem pretty daunting even for a recognized brand like Spider-man.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The Cameo posted:

Reminder that Spider-Man 3, as much as people reacted badly to it, almost made a billion dollars. Like, I'm talking spitting distance close.

True. I'd expect bad feelings from 3, combined with unfamiliarity with the reboot putting people who did like it off, to almost assure a major drop-off from what 3 made.

But lovely reviews for its predecessor didn't stop Transformers 3 from blowing past $1 Billion, so what the gently caress do I know?

PriorMarcus posted:

Sorry, I wasn't clear at all, I mean Sony is nervous about the competition. Three massive superhero films in one summer, two of which are long-awaited franchise installments has got to seem pretty daunting even for a recognized brand like Spider-man.

That makes sense. How close are the release dates for DKR and this?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

That makes sense. How close are the release dates for DKR and this?

A little over two weeks? This one does come out July 4th weekend and I don't think it has any real competition, so it's probably going to make a lot of money opening weekend.

Yeah, the releases for the first week of July are this, Savages (an R-rated crime flick, so not a huge overlap there), Katy Perry's concert movie, and Queen of Versailles, which is going to be for the arthouses, so it's pretty clear for hitting kids and teenagers.

Closest thing that might take a bite out of it is Ice Age. That'll eat into 3D screens and maybe pull a bit of the kid demographic.

Weirdly, everything else in between it and Batman are R rated, adult oriented movies. That's really unusual for July.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Cameo posted:

Weirdly, everything else in between it and Batman are R rated, adult oriented movies. That's really unusual for July.

With Spider-Man and Batman in July I'm sure this is a case of other movies steering clear. The R-rated ones and the kids movies are different markets so they're safe.

This movie's going to make them money, they're not worried about that. With a huge first week (it comes out on the Tuesday of that July 4th week) and then a second complete week free and clear, plus overseas, they're fine. They're only worried about the movie gumming up the works for sequels. They can't sell another reboot so this one's going to have to be the basis for at least a few subsequent films.

sambafish
Sep 24, 2008

If you havin' hull problems I feel bad for you son/
I got 99 problems, but a breach ain't one/
Well, rumor has it that the budget, which was intially reported to be a very modest $80 million, has ballooned to over $200 million. This is just a might be part of the reason why Sony is worried about whether it will be profitable for them. For comparison, the Raimi trilogy had a combined budget of $597 million and grossed almost 2.5 billion worldwide.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Cameo posted:

I believe so, yeah. Up until Avengers, it made more than any other Marvel movie that I'm aware of. I think the closest behind it was Iron Man, and there's like a $150 million drop to get to that, if not more.

Spider-Man 3 made more than Iron Man? Wow.

I've been deliberately avoiding following this movie much but the trailer hype finally got me to cave and watch them, and goddamn this looks good as hell. Garfield really looks and sounds like he completely nailed the spirit of the comic book Spider-Man.

edit: And even if you didn't like the script to (500) Days of Summer, you gotta admit it was directed drat sharp.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

sambafish posted:

Well, rumor has it that the budget, which was intially reported to be a very modest $80 million, has ballooned to over $200 million. This is just a might be part of the reason why Sony is worried about whether it will be profitable for them. For comparison, the Raimi trilogy had a combined budget of $597 million and grossed almost 2.5 billion worldwide.
Ummmm... that $200 million seems to be comparable to the budget of a Raimi film then, not even considering inflation. That's not bad at all.

Is it even possible to make a special effects heavy superhero film with big stars for $80 million?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well, Iron Man "only" cost $140 million and had much bigger actors and possibly a greater scope in terms of location filming and such. So I could see $200 being a talking point for them.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

That rumor comes from a guy who played a background role and did some stunt work on the film. Why would he have any reliable information about the budget?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

precision posted:

Well, Iron Man "only" cost $140 million and had much bigger actors and possibly a greater scope in terms of location filming and such. So I could see $200 being a talking point for them.

I seriously doubt, wages wise, that Iron Man had MUCH bigger stars.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

Ummmm... that $200 million seems to be comparable to the budget of a Raimi film then, not even considering inflation. That's not bad at all.

Is it even possible to make a special effects heavy superhero film with big stars for $80 million?

Also they might have rolled th ecost of Spider-Man 4 into there. I think the same thing happened with Spider-Man 1 they placed all the failed projects into the budget for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

PriorMarcus posted:

I seriously doubt, wages wise, that Iron Man had MUCH bigger stars.

Also an Iron Man movie was a much bigger risk than a new Spider-Man, because before 2008 who gave a poo poo about Iron Man?

• Locked thread