Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

And what about :jiggled:?

I believe this is (was) Jigglemaster's original avatar.

Insertnamehere31 posted:

:shobon: Where did that name come from? An anime or something?

:gonk: Also confused where this name comes from

Apparently shobon is Japanese for shy or timid. And :frogbon: is a portmanteau.

Gonk comes from this front page article, where the word describes the contents perfectly!

I really want to know the origins of :bunt: and :happyelf:

Radio Paranoia has a new favorite as of 09:40 on May 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Radio Paranoia posted:

I really want to know the origins of :happyelf:

Israel.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Radio Paranoia posted:

Gonk comes from this front page article, where the word describes the contents perfectly!

Are you sure about that? I have this really strong feeling that emote was around before 2006. It sounds more like pantsfish appropriated the term from the emote.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

kalthir posted:

I'm guessing it's a TRP thing, since 'get in' is a football (soccer) phrase, probably a play on the 'get out' frog.

I vaguely recall :getin: being created by someone in YOSPOS, but damned if I remember who or why or when.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rabbit Hill posted:

That's a Tastykake, my friend, a brand of cakes and sweets local to Philadelphia, PA, and the nearby states. Goons...cakes...the connection spells itself out.

To elaborate on that, whenever a Philadelphia Flyer scores a goal, Tastykake gives the player a case of Tastykakes to the player to donate wherever he wants them sent.

So a goal call for the flyers would sound like "Giroux shoots and SCORES!!!!...(stuff about the goal)...Claude Giroux scores for a case of tastykakes."

The Tastykakes smiley is generally used in the SAS hockey threads when the Flyers are playing.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Powered Descent posted:

I vaguely recall :getin: being created by someone in YOSPOS, but damned if I remember who or why or when.

One of the innumerable YOSPOS picture threads, iirc.

edit - Fairly recently, though. Within the last year or so?

Mister Gutsy
May 6, 2012

You love having a dead sister. Having a dead sister is an experience you would highly recommend to everybody.

KnifeWrench posted:

Are you sure about that? I have this really strong feeling that emote was around before 2006. It sounds more like pantsfish appropriated the term from the emote.

I think :gonk: (with the name "gonk") was used on Gaia Online earlier than that, but I don't know if that's where it originated.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xenoveritas posted:

Does somebody want to explain the relation between :colbert: and :crossarms:? I've heard an explanation, but it seems like that should be explained somewhere in this thread.

GBS posted this bigass thread about making a colbert emote, and while they were "developing" it and arguing about it, some FYAD bought :colbert: and named it : colbert :. So when GBS finished making the colbert avatar it got bought as : crossarms:

If I Recall Correctly.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Lolitas Alright! posted:

I don't know why it carries Fork Bomb's name, but there were these pictures going around that some guy took of his "sweet whip" and got his Asian girlfriend to model atop of it in a bikini. The chick was a total butterface, and that's the chick.

I love trainwreck threads, do you happen to have a link?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Weren't there other :monocle: smilies at one point, like one with two monocles?

I can't believe some of the crap people spent $30 on, like :ins: and :ovr:. (I guess it's a YOSPOS thing, to match the stylesheet?) Do these (:d::h::s::c:) actually get used? (On the other hand, I love hybrid smilies like :stonk: and :suspense:. The modular ones like :fh: :hf: :f5h: and :respek: are awesome too. :f5h::cool::fh: )

I don't get:
:boonie:
:smugspike:
:smugndar: (what's NDAR?)

m2pt5 has a new favorite as of 19:42 on May 17, 2012

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

m2pt5 posted:

Do these (:d::h::s::c:) actually get used?

There's a poker subforum, so I'd imagine so.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

m2pt5 posted:

Do these (:d::h::s::c:) actually get used?
They get used a lot in Poker in the Rear. For example, six instances in this post.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Toast Museum posted:

There's a poker subforum, so I'd imagine so.

Well, I'll be, there is. I never read SAS so I never noticed it before.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

:coal: what is this
It's :cool: but made of coal.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

jet sanchEz posted:

I love trainwreck threads, do you happen to have a link?

I found a summary of the original photoset. As for the fork bomb name, I'd blame YOSPOS.

m2pt5 posted:

:boonie:

As far as I can tell, this is named after Aussie cricketer David Boon who managed to drink 42 beers on an airplane.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

m2pt5 posted:

The modular ones like :fh: :hf: :f5h: and :respek: are awesome too. :f5h::cool::fh:

Those came from the glory days of BYOB and fairly early on. People wanted modular smilies so you could build things like :gonk: giving a high five to :smith: without having to actually make new smilies every time. poo poo got...a bit out of hand.

But whatever. :f5h::gonk::hf::smith:

It's useful because then you can put together something like that, where you're horrified at the thread you're reading but can't look away, so you reload constantly, and smith is all like "I feel you, bro." I think there was actually some kind of reason for doing this modular stuff but I forget what it was.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It took me far, far too long after first seeing :psyduck: to realize that those are arms, not big floppy ears.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

gooby on rails posted:

It took me far, far too long after first seeing :psyduck: to realize that those are arms, not big floppy ears.

For quite some time, before I knew you could hover for code, I thought it was a weird unspecified rodent falling back on its haunches, the bill being mistaken for the front of the body.

Since someone asked about the Get Out frog, this is the video resultant of the :frogout: PS thread. It will always be one of my favorite things to come out of the forums.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

serewit posted:

One of the innumerable YOSPOS picture threads, iirc.

edit - Fairly recently, though. Within the last year or so?

No godddamn it. I made the get in frog and it has nothing to do with soccer or whatever the gently caress. I literally put trollface teeth on that green frog smiley and added the opposite phrase usually associated with it because I'm a loving retard. Someone reposted it. YOSPOS removed the whitespace, animated it, and bought both versions. The original can be seen here: :rms:. Thank you.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tainaka Ritsu posted:

No godddamn it. I made the get in frog and it has nothing to do with soccer or whatever the gently caress. I literally put trollface teeth on that green frog smiley and added the opposite phrase usually associated with it because I'm a loving retard. Someone reposted it. YOSPOS removed the whitespace, animated it, and bought both versions. The original can be seen here: :rms:. Thank you.

Did you name it after Richard M. Stallman?

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Radio Paranoia posted:

I really want to know the origins of :bunt:

A reskin of the usual :frog: from the baseball threads in SAS. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle loves making his players bunt/play "small ball" at inopportune times, looks like a frog, and last year developed a terrifying tendency to turn his face a brilliant shade of mauve.

Other baseball related smilies:
:punto: - It's a a guy bunting a baseball and running to first. The smilie code (punto) comes from Nick Punto, a pretty lovely player lauded for "hustle" and 'playing the game the right way," and one that infuriated moderator Gendo during his time playing for the Minnesota Twins.

:smugbird: - The smuggest Oriole you ever will see. A tribute to the Baltimore Orioles baseball team, the image is pulled from daily cartoons by the Baltimore Sun's Mike Ricigliano after each game.

e:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

But why is there a smilie of this dude's avatar?

YOSPOS loves to buy smilies.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Radio Paranoia posted:

I believe this is (was) Jigglemaster's original avatar.

But why is there a smilie of this dude's avatar?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Edit - huh, I thought rms used to be different

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

gooby on rails posted:

I always thought that :nyd: was some kind of whiskered cat-like creature (and why it was saying "oh no you didn't!" was beyond me), but it turns out that it's a Sassy ChickTM and the yellow bits are hoop earrings.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Nope, I didn't name it. I was just a vessel through which the frog was born, what was done after is not my doing. Some more cool things: It took about 15 seconds in mspaint between turns of Magic: The Gathering on Steam. http://imgur.com/ewM0K

Nunez
Feb 21, 2011
:11tea:

:redhammer:

:vd:

:rodimus:

:bubblewoop:

:russbus:

:tinsley:

:cedric:

:smaug:

:tetten:

I don't know what any of these are...

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

Nunez posted:

Smaug is the dragon from The Hobbit.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Nunez posted:

:11tea:

:russbus:

:cedric:

:tetten:

:cedric: is the unbelievably annoying owl from King's Quest V

:russbus: is some old dumb byob poo poo

Internet Predator
Dec 27, 2007

I've strangled necks of ages with the fabric of new words. The fires were amazing. Why would you put those out?

Nunez posted:

:bubblewoop: is from the NES game Bubble Bobble, not sure what the woop is about though.

:tinsley: is from comic Mallard Fillmore and the name of the smilie is the artist's last name.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Febreeze posted:

TFF regular here to explain the ones I know

One that is pretty simple, but I know the origin of is :stonk:. It's :gonk: and :stare: put together.

It came from a TFF N/V thread where everyone was talking about last season's Bears/Seahawks game where Bears wide receiver Johnny Knox was folded in half :nms: unless you want to see a man's shoulder blade touch his butt.

I don't know who bought it, but a Dolphins fan made it (I think).

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Nunez posted:

SAclopedia entry

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

gnarlyhotep posted:

I've always been curious why there's a section called "Horrible & retarded poo poo we can't wait to delete". Why not just...delete it? What are they waiting for?

This is back a couple of pages, but it used to be that smileys were never deleted and were kept forever. Then Lowtax deleted a few, and the author of :amerikkka: emailed him bitching about the fact that the smileys page said "the smileys would be there forever" and Lowtax deleted the smiley for apparently no reason, and he wanted his money back. Mind you, this was about three-five years AFTER the smiley was bought. That's why there's a one year smiley disclaimer and the "horrible" section.

Seriously.

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie
efb on both

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

:ocelot: Why is it called ocelot?

:buddy: is the happiest smiley dude. Where'd it come from?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Augster posted:

:buddy: is the happiest smiley dude. Where'd it come from?

Another BYOB poster's avatar.

Edit: still is

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Augster posted:

:ocelot: Why is it called ocelot?

It's Revolver Ocelot from Metal Gear Solid 3.

Edit: I think it came from the MGS3 Let's Play thread.

FebrezeNinja has a new favorite as of 01:49 on May 18, 2012

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nunez posted:

:rodimus: is an old guy taunting a kid who wants to buy a Transformer toy. The old guy is almost certainly going around to every store in the area to buy all of that specific toy and then re-sell them to internet people at an obscene markup. A child will never play with that Transformer, not while old guy is on duty.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Nunez posted:

One of the BYOB vanity emoticons, along with :am: :bick: :joel: :buddy: :stoat: and :shibaz:. It was a different time.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Nunez posted:

A reskin of :words: riffing on awful right-wing political cartoon Mallard Fillmore by Bruce Tinsley (hence the code used to display it). More specifically, it's drawn from poster rubbercat's excellent parody Anthropomorphic Republican Talking Duck. The point is that Tinsley is an alcoholic hack who uses a smug duck to spout inane positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Toad on a Hat posted:

This is back a couple of pages, but it used to be that smileys were never deleted and were kept forever. Then Lowtax deleted a few, and the author of :amerikkka: emailed him bitching about the fact that the smileys page said "the smileys would be there forever" and Lowtax deleted the smiley for apparently no reason, and he wanted his money back. Mind you, this was about three-five years AFTER the smiley was bought. That's why there's a one year smiley disclaimer and the "horrible" section.

Seriously.

Thanks! I knew there had to be a story behind it.

For content, the Get Out Frog Rave Song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NuONuafxwk