Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
So, yep, Red Miles is a ring thing.

Kinda looks like there'd be... some collateral damage... on the order of, oh, nobody escaping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Invisibility, huh?

Wonder why Slick didn't use it...

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Zeruel posted:

Invisibility, huh?

Well, it said it was a void ring thing, so I'd assume that the prototyped ring wouldn't have it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like DD just took the lead for the contest of 'people who do not gently caress around :stare:'.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I thought his box of cigarettes was a juicebox, for a moment. But man. DD is just going straight for the kill.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Zeruel posted:

Invisibility, huh?

He probably comes from the "Other abilities don't matter if you can just kill them before they know you're there anyway" school of thought.

YggiDee posted:

I thought his box of cigarettes was a juicebox, for a moment. But man. DD is just going straight for the kill.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw this.

But DD is the kind of guy who could get away with looking cool while sipping on a juice box.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Invisibility, huh? I wonder if the rings from the other session had that power.

I'm sure there's never going to be a scene that becomes dramatically contextualized by the revelation that there was an invisible carapace there the whole time.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Boneless Jogger posted:

Well, it said it was a void ring thing, so I'd assume that the prototyped ring wouldn't have it.

Oh poo poo, I didn't even notice that, I just thought it was a Lord of the Rings joke. That's actually pretty awesome.

If your session's prototypes include a dog, you look like a dog. If your session's prototypes include a crow, you look like a crow. If your session's prototypes include nothing...

Iny fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 18, 2012

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Literally Sharks posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't even notice that, I just thought it was a Lord of the Rings joke. That's actually pretty awesome.

If your session's prototypes include a dog, you look like a dog. If your session's prototypes include a crow, you look like a crow. If your session's prototypes include nothing...
How do you think the White Queen was able to sneak up on SS in the first place?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Lord of the Rings point is interesting; it strikes me as appropriate to Homestuck's extensively referential nature to note that Tolkien's One Ring was, itself, a reference to several things: Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen cycle, which was in turn an adaptation of the mythological Nibelungenlied, was centered around conflict over a magic ring of power that granted dominion over the whole world; King Solomon was said to wear a magic ring that gave him the ability to talk to animals and compel demons; Sir Yvain of the Round Table was given a ring which conferred invisibility if worn with the stone facing the palm; and, most importantly, Plato's Republic described the Ring of Gyges, which could render the wearer perfectly invisible and undetectable, as part of a thought experiment pondering whether the average man would still behave ethically if he could easily get away with anything.

Plato, you will recall, also wrote Timaeus, which is referred to in Dirk's username, and is the origin of the idea of Atlantis, a map of which is hanging on Dirk's wall.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 18, 2012

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm sure if you handed the ring off to CD, the last thing many people would hear before being annihilated would be yaaaay! i'm helping!

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
Someone bring me a chair to faint on, I do believe DD is giving me a case of the vapours. Casual annihilation is just so dastardly and roguish.

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

Bongo Bill posted:

Invisibility, huh? I wonder if the rings from the other session had that power.

I'm sure there's never going to be a scene that becomes dramatically contextualized by the revelation that there was an invisible carapace there the whole time.

"Ms. Paint, if you are reading this, then I, Andrew Hussie, have died. I need you to take this ring, travel back in time to John Egbert's room on the day he received the SBURB beta, and influence a long series of events according to the enclosed instructions, staying invisible the entire time.

This will be a great challenge, and a grand adventure.

A Ms. Paint adventure.

Dot com."

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Well. I sort of expected the unprototyped ring's Red Miles to be... much smaller in scope. Like actually useful in close melee. This is a bit of a game-changer.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Makes me wonder if the White and Black Queen rings get different 'default' powers. Seems weird if the White Queen had red miles, for example. But they should be equal, going with the chess motif.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

The Lord of the Rings point is interesting; it strikes me as appropriate to Homestuck's extensively referential nature to note that Tolkien's One Ring was, itself, a reference to several things: Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen cycle, which was in turn an adaptation of the mythological Nibelungenlied, was centered around conflict over a magic ring of power that granted dominion over the whole world; King Solomon was said to wear a magic ring that gave him the ability to talk to animals and compel demons; Sir Yvain of the Round Table was given a ring which conferred invisibility if worn with the stone facing the palm; and, most importantly, Plato's Republic described the Ring of Gyges, which could render the wearer perfectly invisible and undetectable, as part of a thought experiment pondering whether the average man would still behave ethically if he could easily get away with anything.

Plato, you will recall, also wrote Timaeus, which is referred to in Dirk's username, and is the origin of the idea of Atlantis, a map of which is hanging on Dirk's wall.

This is like the revelation scene in Black Dynamite but played straight :psyduck: Amazing how circular these references can be.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Bongo Bill posted:

I really think Hussie writes this poo poo from the Asylum, and I hope they never change his meds, selfish as that is.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Bobulus posted:

Makes me wonder if the White and Black Queen rings get different 'default' powers. Seems weird if the White Queen had red miles, for example. But they should be equal, going with the chess motif.

Maybe they have an equivalent that they never use because the White's have certain codes and laws they don't break. Which might be why they always lose to, without the players. Equal sides, except one is willing to kill and destroy where the other isn't.

Or it could be you aren't supposed to use Red Miles under most circumstances, but the Agents play outside the rules because of their origin.

also:

I'm torn! I just spent the last few weeks reading all of Homestuck. Now I'm up to date and things are really getting good, so yay!

BUT NOW I'M UP TO DATE SO I HAVE TO WAIT TO CONTINUE THE STORY! BOOO! D:

I'm so conflicted right now.

Edit:

Just had a thought. The agents occure because of Lord English's influence on the world's base parameters, right? So most sessions wouldn't have them. So they are almost like a set of Derse-aligned players to even up the odds between Prospit and Derse.

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 18, 2012

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Myrdhale posted:

Just had a thought. The agents occure because of Lord English's influence on the world's base parameters, right? So most sessions wouldn't have them. So they are almost like a set of Derse-aligned players to even up the odds between Prospit and Derse.

As far as I know, the agents are a default part of every session. I think the only reason we've never seen the Prospitian counterparts to the Dersite agents is that they don't really go off the rails at their first opportunity like Jack and Co. have in literally every session we've seen them in (Jack stealing the kid session ring, Spades Slick working with the trolls to exile the queen, and now DD taking over). They simply wouldn't move the plot along in any meaningful way.

I'd love for Hussie to prove me wrong though, but only because, in spite of him saying in his Formspring that he'd never do this, I imagine the Prospitian Agents to be Joe Blanc (the Pulchritudinous Senator), his right hand man, the Polite Inquisitor, and.... Ace Dick. :allears:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

YF-23 posted:

Well. I sort of expected the unprototyped ring's Red Miles to be... much smaller in scope. Like actually useful in close melee. This is a bit of a game-changer.

Well, a queen can attack an opposing piece from any distance.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Fortis posted:

I'd love for Hussie to prove me wrong though, but only because, in spite of him saying in his Formspring that he'd never do this, I imagine the Prospitian Agents to be Joe Blanc (the Pulchritudinous Senator), his right hand man, the Polite Inquisitor, and.... Ace Dick. :allears:

Not gonna lie, as soon as Act 6 opened and it was talking about Problem Sleuth 2, I was hoping for Problem Sleuth and company to be the Scratched exiles. Within one panel of being introduced, they'd pose as a team. They wouldn't even be sure why, they'd just feel that somewhere out there, poo poo has gotten real over a dozen times already.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fortis posted:

As far as I know, the agents are a default part of every session. I think the only reason we've never seen the Prospitian counterparts to the Dersite agents is that they don't really go off the rails at their first opportunity like Jack and Co. have in literally every session we've seen them in (Jack stealing the kid session ring, Spades Slick working with the trolls to exile the queen, and now DD taking over). They simply wouldn't move the plot along in any meaningful way.

I'm pretty sure Hussie that that there are Prospitian equivalents to the Archagent and his team, just that they're not important.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My pet theory is that Jack Noir's Prospitian counterpart is also named Jack in keeping with the cards theme (Jack-Queen-King) and is kept out of the plot because jesus christ that would be way too many Jacks.

(But eventually Hussie will give in to his addiction to character introductions and he will introduce Jack Blancs for both pre- and post-Scratch Earth and Alternia plus various beta Jacks and there will be like twenty different people named Jack by the time things are all said and done.)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

KoB posted:

I'm pretty sure Hussie that that there are Prospitian equivalents to the Archagent and his team, just that they're not important.

I liked the way the glitch FAQ played it: there are Prospitian agents of equivalent rank and power to the Midnight Crew, but due to a bug they are incapable of forming worthwhile plans, and as such are always off being useless and not advancing the plot in any way (specifically, they're at a disco just messing around and having fun).

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I liked the way the glitch FAQ played it: there are Prospitian agents of equivalent rank and power to the Midnight Crew, but due to a bug they are incapable of forming worthwhile plans, and as such are always off being useless and not advancing the plot in any way (specifically, they're at a disco just messing around and having fun).

Ah, sorry, I must've misunderstood. That's kinda funny though, that the White Agents are all just useless. Maybe that's why you need th players, lol, can't trust the white agents to actually do anything.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Myrdhale posted:

Ah, sorry, I must've misunderstood. That's kinda funny though, that the White Agents are all just useless. Maybe that's why you need th players, lol, can't trust the white agents to actually do anything.

That's not a thing you missed in the actual story, Renaissance Robot was just referencing this fanfic which is a mostly pretty fun speculative thing about Sburb game mechanics.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

There are white agents, they are just trapped in their offices in all iterations of the game.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm waiting for the big twist where it's revealed that Lord English is actually Mobster Kingpin in disguise or a form of Demonhead Mobster Kingpin. :colbert:

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

closeted republican posted:

I'm waiting for the big twist where it's revealed that Lord English is actually Mobster Kingpin in disguise or a form of Demonhead Mobster Kingpin. :colbert:

Homestuck or: Problem Sleuth: ACT 2

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

closeted republican posted:

Hussie told us that Homestuck wouldn't end with an elaborate and overly long boss battle like in Problem Sleuth.. Because Lord English becomes de-powered during the course of the story and banished to another universe, where he comes back as Mobster Kingpin, and THEN gets his elaborate defeat.

He really WAS already here, and we already witnessed his death in an elaborate double-mobius reach-around. :tinfoil:

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

So if Derse gets Red Miles, then maybe Prospit gets the Green Mile? Not like we haven't already tossed in a ton of other movie references

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

RedMagus posted:

So if Derse gets Red Miles, then maybe Prospit gets the Green Mile? Not like we haven't already tossed in a ton of other movie references

Haha, I could see that. Maybe it heals and promotes growth instead of ripping everything to shreds.

Equal in power, opposite in effect?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

As long as we're throwing more stuff into the linked-reference pile, Hussie mentions a couple times in the books about about the subtle Platonic Idealism stuff that sneaks into the themes of the story, like the Perfectly Generic Objects. You could probably argue that, since items have captchacodes and that, while there is a large number of possible codes, there is also a limited number, that there must be a limited number of items in existence, which implies some interesting things regarding creation vs discovery and other themes of Plato.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Myrdhale posted:

Haha, I could see that. Maybe it heals and promotes growth instead of ripping everything to shreds.

Equal in power, opposite in effect?

If it does that, Green Mile is hardly an appropriate name.

It'd obviously be Green Acres.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Bobulus posted:

As long as we're throwing more stuff into the linked-reference pile, Hussie mentions a couple times in the books about about the subtle Platonic Idealism stuff that sneaks into the themes of the story, like the Perfectly Generic Objects. You could probably argue that, since items have captchacodes and that, while there is a large number of possible codes, there is also a limited number, that there must be a limited number of items in existence, which implies some interesting things regarding creation vs discovery and other themes of Plato.

It's stuff like this that makes me love this comic. Though I think the Captchalogue codes might be part of the game, so the session knows which items will occur and won't, and sets it codes based on that.

So maybe it's the limited number of items in the medium, but not in existence?

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

PublicOpinion posted:

If it does that, Green Mile is hardly an appropriate name.

It'd obviously be Green Acres.

The acre is a unit of area, while the mile is a unit of distance...

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Rose Spirit posted:

Who cares?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Boneless Jogger posted:

Not gonna lie, as soon as Act 6 opened and it was talking about Problem Sleuth 2, I was hoping for Problem Sleuth and company to be the Scratched exiles. Within one panel of being introduced, they'd pose as a team. They wouldn't even be sure why, they'd just feel that somewhere out there, poo poo has gotten real over a dozen times already.

I'd really love if we get a throwaway gag showing that Jack hired a traitorous Prospitian agent, the Mutinous Killer, to lock all the top agents in their offices while he was cleaning up shop in Prospit.

I doubt Hussie will ever do that, as much as everyone's clamored for it, but I'd at least love to see how he'd draw PS and Friends as Prospitians.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Two quick thoughts:

1) "No one can escape the miles." seems like one of those phrases that will get used in a bunch of callbacks later. Probably with a rhyming word so we don't see it coming. Smiles? Dials? Piles? Probably piles.

2)

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

That's not a thing you missed in the actual story, Renaissance Robot was just referencing this fanfic which is a mostly pretty fun speculative thing about Sburb game mechanics.

I have not seen this before, and while I like the other gamefaq thing better, it's still pretty entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Rose Spirit posted:

Red Miles, Black Inches, Yellow Yards... Green feet? Blue Leagues? Fuchsia furlongs?