Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

WickedIcon posted:

If you are not watching Drive you are wrong.

I'm watching this right now. Netflix didn't even put it in my New Releases or Recommended category. I had to hear about it on Engadget.

e: I still need to buy the blu-ray for my birthday. Netflix streaming just doesn't do the movie justice on my tv.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
Drive was the best movie of 2011. WATCH IT.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Discount Viscount posted:

Metropolis Restored is so much better than the previously nearest complete cut. There's only one scene missing that has to be given a text explanation, an emotional moment but one that fortunately lends itself to summary, whereas before there was a whole sequence of events right in the middle that were gone, and it was a bit tough to follow the plot by reading basic descriptive summaries. Movie makes a whole lot more sense now.

I was lucky enough to see this with a live organist and it was easily one of the best movie experiences of my life! The entire audience was just completely engrossed both by the film and the excellent performance of the soundtrack.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I won't be watching Drive on Netflix, but that's because I already own the Bluray. You probably will want to own it too after watching it.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
I thought Drive was ok, sort of. Or I guess "eh" might sum it up.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Cold Comfort Farm, bitches!

Please watch this if you are at all a fan of whimsical comedy, period pieces, and Kate Beckinsale operating at peak adorability (we're talking Meg Ryan times Audrey Hepburn levels here, folks).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It makes me wonder how new movie releases work on Netflix. They seem to have literally single digit numbers. Like they have Rango, Lincoln Lawyer, Limitless, and maybe that's it? And now Drive. Are they just making individual deals for movies to add, or is it based on the studio? The Starz deal expired, right?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Hey guys.

Drive.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

smackfu posted:

It makes me wonder how new movie releases work on Netflix. They seem to have literally single digit numbers. Like they have Rango, Lincoln Lawyer, Limitless, and maybe that's it? And now Drive. Are they just making individual deals for movies to add, or is it based on the studio? The Starz deal expired, right?

As far as I can guess, new releases are so scarce because putting a film on Netflix Instant is considered likely to wreck digital-on-demand sales from iTunes, Amazon, et al.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
If you're not busy watching Drive or you've watched it already, another solid choice is Starship Troopers. It's, ridiculous, awesome, borderline fascist (because its entire premise is satirizing the fascism of the military), and it also has lots of bug killing. It's the same director as Robocop and Total Recall, so you should know what to expect.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Drive's cool. Soundtrack is killer.

How about some more documentaries similar to Cave of Forgotten Dreams by Werner Herzog? I never watched it for the longest time and when I did it was awesome. Seriously some very cool stuff. I think I really liked it because it kind of shows that humans have always been artistic, since our very beginning. They even made loving bone flutes that were in a Pentatonic scale. Think about that, 30,000 years ago. Playing the Star Spangled Banner on a (replica of a) flute that's 30k years old—loving crazy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If you're not busy watching Drive or you've watched it already, another solid choice is Starship Troopers. It's, ridiculous, awesome, borderline fascist (because its entire premise is satirizing the fascism of the military), and it also has lots of bug killing. It's the same director as Robocop and Total Recall, so you should know what to expect.

I would but I already own it on VHS and two different editions on DVD. That movie rules as both satire and an action movie. I wish Verhoeven would direct more sic fi.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
i watched Wendy and Lucy cause i guess it's expiring soon and itw as good. Submarine was eh

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I watched Night of the demons last night. :stare:

That wasn't what I was expecting at all and pretty drat weird. Is the original worth watching? It was refreshing however that the main character survives at the end. All in all, a pretty mediocre horror movie with some neat concepts that aren't fully explored.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
Me and my fiancee got into a big craving for Nazi documentaries and Netflix has a ton.

Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State
A PBS documentary on everything you could possibley know about the infamous death camp. From how the camp was created, the importantion of its prisoner to the creation of its gas chambers. With reinactments and eye witness testimonies, plus at the end of each episode is a ten minute indepth discussion with scholars on themes brought up in the episode. At times it can be powerful, but its more of a history lecture, but brings up issues not usually discussed.

If you like information on the Holocaust this is a great documentary for you.

The Goebbels Experiment
Reading of the diaries of Joseph Goebbels between 1924 and 1945, this documenatry brings to life the tail of Nazi Germany's Minister of Propaganda. You get to watch the rise and downfall of the third reich throu Goebbels eyes and its just fascinating. Plus, this documentary is full of old and odd WW2 era footage and some obscure propaganda movies that Goebbels helped create. For the obscure movies alone its worth watching.

If you have ever wanted to watch it,Triumph of the Will is on Netflix.

Also The Twilight Zone looks fantastic on my stream. I don't know if this is a digitally enchancent version but the picture quality is just amazing.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I've got a drinking game for Starship Troopers, as mentioned previously, and I just released my drinking game/drink for The Big Lebowski:

quote:

This week on:

EPISODE AND DRINKING GAME HERE

It’s one of the Coen Brothers’ most well-known and tremendously popular movies; it’s spawned a convention series and a religion, and nearly everyone knows at least one line from this movie. This week on Alcohollywood, we’re covering The Big Lebowski, the dark comedy/neo-noir/Gulf War period piece that has more or less defined the careers of both the Coen Brothers and Jeff Bridges. The search for a replacement for his prized, pissed-on rug sends aging hippie Jeffrey “The Dude” Lebowski (Bridges) on a journey fraught with danger, ferrets, nihilists, bowling, and much more! We’ve got a lot to talk about here, so pour yourself either our signature drink or the White Russians the Dude is so fond of, and check out our review and drinking game here!

SPECIAL GUESTS: For this trip through SoCal in the early ’90s, we’re bringing along with us Matt K and Ry the Movie Guy from another great podcast in the Chicago area, CinemaJaw; also, look out for their next great episode, which they were gracious enough to have us on as guests! (Also, due to some technical difficulties, 47:00 to 48:30 is a little lower-quality than usual, so be patient; the audio quality clears back up quickly.)

iTunes|RSS

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hewlett posted:

I've got a drinking game for Starship Troopers, as mentioned previously, and I just released my drinking game/drink for The Big Lebowski:

Do one for Drive.

- Drink every time Ryan Gosling is on screen without dialogue
- Finish your drink when somebody dies

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Do one for Drive.

Take a shot everytime he does a creepy stare that is romantic on film, scary in real life.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
Johnny Got His Gun was surprisingly good!

Balancing Monsters
Sep 3, 2011

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Do one for Drive.

This game should clearly be called "Drink and Drive."

I also recommend taking a shot whenever something not normally a weapon is used for violence.

I just finished watching Fish Tank, and definitely recommend it. The sexual tension is palpable in many scenes, in a way that is both uncomfortable to watch and makes the character/story development successful (i.e., we're not talking Megan Fox bent over washing a car). I watched it because of my interest in underclass/working class/chavvy English culture and my mancrush on Michael Fassbender. It served me well on both these points. The main girl in it does a very good job, too, and apparently was not an actress, but was overheard arguing with her boyfriend at a train station by the casting agent and offered the role. So that gives you some idea of her character.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Do one for Drive.

RizieN posted:

Take a shot everytime he does a creepy stare that is romantic on film, scary in real life.

Take a shot every time someone awkwardly avoids calling him by an actual name by referring to him as "the kid," "the driver," etc.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Action Jacktion posted:

Take a shot every time someone awkwardly avoids calling him by an actual name by referring to him as "the kid," "the driver," etc.

Drink everytime the camera focuses on the scorpion.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
We're getting loving trashed tonight.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
"One of the most critically acclaimed movies of 2011, with its meditative pacing and long stretches of silence, just became available on Netflix Streaming."
"LET'S GET loving PLASTERED WOOOOOO"

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Drink everytime the camera focuses on the scorpion.

Pretty much this.

Also,

Hewlett posted:

THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: Walter’s Whiteys

2 parts vanilla flavored vodka

1 part coffee liqueur

1 part Irish cream

1 part Chambord

1 part walnut liqueur

Combine and pour over ice.

This sounds delicious.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

VaultAggie posted:

I watched Night of the demons last night. :stare:

That wasn't what I was expecting at all and pretty drat weird. Is the original worth watching? It was refreshing however that the main character survives at the end. All in all, a pretty mediocre horror movie with some neat concepts that aren't fully explored.

I love the original, it's one of the most '80s Horror movies you'll ever see.

Plus it has naked chicks and gore so yeah, give it a watch.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

X-Ray Pecs posted:

"One of the most critically acclaimed movies of 2011, with its meditative pacing and long stretches of silence, just became available on Netflix Streaming."
"LET'S GET loving PLASTERED WOOOOOO"

A Drive drinking game that was true to the movie would consist of sitting around quietly and awkwardly sipping at your drink all night long punctuated by a few minutes of violent projectile vomiting.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

This sounds delicious.

Thanks!

Yeah, as per requests, the first episode we will do in June will be Drive. I promise I'll try to make it a good one. (I'm doing The Untouchables and Joe vs. The Volcano in between, though I'm sure they're not on streaming so may be unrelated to this thread.)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Farbtoner posted:

A Drive drinking game that was true to the movie would consist of sitting around quietly and awkwardly sipping at your drink all night long punctuated by a few minutes of violent projectile vomiting.

Sounds like my average night out.

Somewhat related to the thread, Top Gear series 17 has been available on Instant for God know how long, in case anyone else missed it - like me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
For everyone getting into Drive for the first time via streaming, think about following it up with Thief, one of its biggest inspirations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

RizieN posted:

Drive's cool. Soundtrack is killer.

How about some more documentaries similar to Cave of Forgotten Dreams by Werner Herzog? I never watched it for the longest time and when I did it was awesome. Seriously some very cool stuff. I think I really liked it because it kind of shows that humans have always been artistic, since our very beginning. They even made loving bone flutes that were in a Pentatonic scale. Think about that, 30,000 years ago. Playing the Star Spangled Banner on a (replica of a) flute that's 30k years old—loving crazy.

Check out any other doc by Herzog--he has a ton of them and they're all stellar IMHO. Of the four that are on Netflix now, Encounters at the end of the World is most like Cave of Forgotten Dreams. Check out Grizzly Man though, it's great but more of a study of a single person. Into the Abyss is a little more mainstream friendly but also good.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I noticed 2010: The Year We Make Contact is back on Netflix streaming. I caught it before it disappeared a month or so ago and enjoyed it. Good sci fi flick that doesn't have the glacial pacing (or unfortunately the shear beauty) of it's predecessor 2001: A Space Odyssey. If you liked Contact, this is a good one to watch.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

smackfu posted:

They still have a deal with Epix (which means The Avengers and The Hunger Games are in our future :v:), and they have cut a few back catalog deals with the major studios, but as far as recent releases go the studios' contracts with the pay cable channels are an insurmountable brick wall. Since ITunes and the other online video solutions charge by the film, they're counted as another retail outlet, but for the purposes of the HBO and Showtime "exclusivity window" deals, Netflix Instant is a competing network.

That's why the Starz and Epix deals were big deals at the time, since Netflix was/is basically sub-leasing otherwise exclusive rights, and that's why Netflix cutting out the middleman and making its own successful bid for a multi-year exclusive deal on the Weinstein Company's output was a massively big deal.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Balancing Monsters posted:

In other news, the 148 minute cut of Metropolis (listed as Metropolis Restored) is expiring in a few days.

Happily, it was just added back to streaming a couple days after its expiration. Dunno what that was about.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Erebus posted:

Happily, it was just added back to streaming a couple days after its expiration. Dunno what that was about.

This happens a lot. Contracts have to get renegotiated or at least renewed.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Dragonslayer is a fun documentary that was recently added. It's about a gutter skate punk kid flailing through life.

I enjoyed it, a lot.... but I love pool skating on a level that's probably not super common.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Watched Drive last night. What's with all the hype? The characters were one dimensional and I really didn't care about the main character's infatuation with the mom. The whole plot lacked depth. Other than the fact that it had a bit of stylish cinematic flair, it was ultimately uninteresting and forgettable.

I don't mind shallow crime and action flicks, but they at least need to have something to keep me interested, and Drive had nothing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Drive thread, which is still around, should answer "what all the hype" is about.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

hypersleep posted:

Watched Drive last night. What's with all the hype? The characters were one dimensional and I really didn't care about the main character's infatuation with the mom. The whole plot lacked depth. Other than the fact that it had a bit of stylish cinematic flair, it was ultimately uninteresting and forgettable.

I don't mind shallow crime and action flicks, but they at least need to have something to keep me interested, and Drive had nothing.

In what way did the plot lack depth, and what could the film have included/changed to keep your interest?

Also, I can't think of another movie I saw last year (except maybe Exit Through the Gift Shop) that I discussed and remembered so vividly - despite seeing each only once. In my opinion, it definitely deserves the hype it receives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Parachute posted:

In what way did the plot lack depth, and what could the film have included/changed to keep your interest?

Also, I can't think of another movie I saw last year (except maybe Exit Through the Gift Shop) that I discussed and remembered so vividly - despite seeing each only once. In my opinion, it definitely deserves the hype it receives.

The plot was basically "guy likes girl, girl has husband in trouble with criminals, guy involves himself in husband's troubles, film ends like you expect it to."

All of the characters felt like cardboard cut-outs, and every piece of this movie felt like it was lifted from other movies.

None of the characters were interesting. The driver could have been interesting, but we learn very little about him. His budding romance with the mother is displayed in a music-backed montage sequence, and at this point I felt like the movie was entering the realm of parody.

Maybe it sounds hypocritical for me to say this, but the action scenes were the best parts of the movie. The opening chase scene, the chase after the botched robbery, the thugs trying to kill the driver and Christina Hendricks at the motel, and his attacks on Cook and Nino were the best scenes, all done in a subdued tone. I liked how these scenes were scripted and filmed.

They don't save the movie for me, however. I don't feel like I wasted time watching it, but it's not a movie I'd watch again, and I don't understand why this movie became the most talked about movie of 2011.

• Locked thread