Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Let's not forget the mandatory pre-flight checks every time you go to the store, and the mandatory refurbishment of systems after so many flight hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
And if you don't like dealer markup on parts, you haven't seen anything yet.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

And if you don't like dealer markup on parts, you haven't seen anything yet.

I looked into what I thought would be a cheap old Lycoming for an air boat project. Holy hell is that stuff expensive, even when it's beat to hell and no longer serviceable for flight.

It got an LS crate motor marinized by Pleasurecraft for nearly half the price and with none of the fuel requirement hassle plus EFILive tuneable goodness. Yeah, it's a lot heaver. Yeah, it's not nearly as serviceable. But F those prices. It's all well and good that you can remove and replace individual buckets, but when they cost as much as an entire replacement LS block it's just not worth it.

Plus it sounds like a NASCAR car on the river.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 8, 2012

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

BonzoESC posted:

Backups and redundant systems are expensive and heavy. Heavy means that your air vehicle now requires more thrust for everything; especially if you're now doubling up on engines that are independently capable of taking off (and for twin-jets like every commercial air carrier flies, they are). General aviation is expensive today, and that's mostly with aircraft that don't have backups of anything except radios.

Im just stating what would be required for this "I got hurt lets sue everone" age we are in. I am not going to go into it because this is not the thread for that.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So it's a normal gray color with a matte clear?

Yep.

Honestly, were I someone willing to buy a new car? Buy the turbo veloster you want in a different color and then ask the dealership to find a shop in town that does professional vinyl wrapping on vehicles and get the car wrapped. It'll cost you an extra couple grand on top of the price of the vehicle, but you will not hate your life trying to maintain it down the road and when the fad wears off or it comes time to sell it and the prospective buyer doesn't like it cuz it's all chipped up or whatever, then peel the poo poo off. Boom.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

EdEddnEddy posted:

The tech is there but as long as the human element has existed, there has been no reason to move it forward. It is still a long way off, but it is getting closer the closer we have driving cars.

You are just making stuff up.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Im just stating what would be required for this "I got hurt lets sue everone" age we are in. I am not going to go into it because this is not the thread for that.

Please start the thread then - if this poo poo really exists I would be INCREDIBLY interested to read about it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Naky posted:

Yep.

Honestly, were I someone willing to buy a new car? Buy the turbo veloster you want in a different color and then ask the dealership to find a shop in town that does professional vinyl wrapping on vehicles and get the car wrapped. It'll cost you an extra couple grand on top of the price of the vehicle, but you will not hate your life trying to maintain it down the road and when the fad wears off or it comes time to sell it and the prospective buyer doesn't like it cuz it's all chipped up or whatever, then peel the poo poo off. Boom.

Is vinyl wrapping really that expensive? I know that's still cheaper than a good quality re-spray, but I'd have thought its' popularity would have pushed prices down to the $1k-ish mark to wrap an average size/shape car.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Is vinyl wrapping really that expensive? I know that's still cheaper than a good quality re-spray, but I'd have thought its' popularity would have pushed prices down to the $1k-ish mark to wrap an average size/shape car.

I think it depends on whether or not you do it yourself. I think the materials alone are only a few hundred bucks, but it probably takes hours to do.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I think it's hilarious a trend that started because people left hot rods in primer to concentrate on the go-fast part has evolved into "oh no my matte paint is dirty what ever shall I do?"

Good god allmighty.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Two Finger posted:

You are just making stuff up.

Please start the thread then - if this poo poo really exists I would be INCREDIBLY interested to read about it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483764

MN-Ghost
Jan 7, 2008

Nait Sirhc posted:

It's strange, because all the comparisons I see are CTS-V vs E63 AMG vs M5. They probably do this because of the size instead of the price, though.

Yeah, in terms of size and performance, the CTS-V is meant to compete with the M5. I was speculating on the reasons for BabyMauler seeing comparos between the CTS-V and the M3. The CTS-V and the M3 are almost exactly the same price so that kind of makes sense. On the other hand I can buy a CTS-V and a whole other car for the price of the M5. Assuming that extra 30K isn't just going into the BMW badge premium (though I suspect a good portion does), seems like kind of an unfair fight.

But I haven't actually read any of those comparisons, so don't mind me. Those cars are so far out of my price range I really don't pay much attention to them.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

MN-Ghost posted:

Yeah, in terms of size and performance, the CTS-V is meant to compete with the M5. I was speculating on the reasons for BabyMauler seeing comparos between the CTS-V and the M3. The CTS-V and the M3 are almost exactly the same price so that kind of makes sense. On the other hand I can buy a CTS-V and a whole other car for the price of the M5. Assuming that extra 30K isn't just going into the BMW badge premium (though I suspect a good portion does), seems like kind of an unfair fight.

But I haven't actually read any of those comparisons, so don't mind me. Those cars are so far out of my price range I really don't pay much attention to them.

The old CTS-V had a 400hp V8 and a T-56. Otherwise it was fairly similar to a regular CTS and was comparable on paper to the E90 M3. The E60 M5 had a 500hp V10, dry sump, wacky SMG tranny, and a whole bunch of poo poo (carbon brakes?) that sort of justified it being a 6 figure car. However the CTS-V came out in 2004 and the E90 M3 only came out in 2008. Did anyone ever do a comparison of the CTS-V to the E46? Who knows. The new CTS-V is closer to the E60 M5, with 550hp, carbon brakes, magnetic suspension, etc, but the E60 M5 is in its last year at this point and a new one with forced induction and more power. These comparisons never really quite pan out because the companies all have different development cycles so usually which ever car that came out most recently ends up being on top.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

oRenj9 posted:

I think it depends on whether or not you do it yourself. I think the materials alone are only a few hundred bucks, but it probably takes hours to do.

Yeah, the bulk of the money you'll be paying is for the labour. If you're willing to do it yourself, well, not a big issue. It is a LOT of work though.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
What does the hivemind think about the Dodge Dart? Seems pretty spiffy to me. Any thoughts on how reliable/well put together it will be? Anyone have any experience with the 1.4 Multi-air or the transmission?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

What does the hivemind think about the Dodge Dart? Seems pretty spiffy to me. Any thoughts on how reliable/well put together it will be? Anyone have any experience with the 1.4 Multi-air or the transmission?

Go back a page or 2. Production just started a few days ago so only the magazines have driven them, and only the 2.0l and the 1.4l. Everyone loves the 1.4l with the manual.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What the hell? You can get a non-Speed Mazda 3 for more than an MS3?
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2012/05/2012-mazda-3-what-to-do-with-25000.html

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Looks like it. 5 door Mazda3 with an auto trans and tech package MSRP's at 26,395.

Expensive for a 3, but has lots of bells and whistles.

edit:

HAHA the MS3 w/Tech Package is only 26,930. Weird.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 12, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2012/05/2012-mazda-3-what-to-do-with-25000.html

A Speed3 is only $24k? :monocle: I always thought they were closer to 30. I kind of want one now.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Some people would rather have the bells and whistles than the go-fast bits, who knew?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Faerunner posted:

Some people would rather have the bells and whistles than the go-fast bits, who knew?
But the price difference between a nice MS3 and the loaded-to-the-gills 3 is only $1000 or so, with the main difference being the seats (MS3 not full leather or power adjust).
I can't think of any other manufacturer that offers the power/fast model for such a small bump in price.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

But the price difference between a nice MS3 and the loaded-to-the-gills 3 is only $1000 or so, with the main difference being the seats (MS3 not full leather or power adjust).
I can't think of any other manufacturer that offers the power/fast model for such a small bump in price.

IIRC the Cobalt SS was priced in a similar way, of course it's long gone though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

angryhampster posted:

IIRC the Cobalt SS was priced in a similar way, of course it's long gone though.
At one point during GM's bankruptcy spiral you could get a Cobalt SS for less than a fairly well optioned out model locally. I regret not doing it.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
320hp, RWD, light (<3200lbs), four seats, hatch... Why can't this exist in the US? I think it may be the perfect car for me. Is the Ferrari FF the only thing in the US that is a sporty 4 seat RWD-ish hatch/shooting-brake thing?

BMW M135i:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Make it a diesel and I'd buy the poo poo out of it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

ynotony posted:

320hp, RWD, light (<3200lbs), four seats, hatch... Why can't this exist in the US? I think it may be the perfect car for me. Is the Ferrari FF the only thing in the US that is a sporty 4 seat RWD-ish hatch/shooting-brake thing?

BMW M135i:

Those things look dumb as hell in real life. There's a 120i around here in exactly that colour and it's atrocious. You can buy a CTS-V wagon.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
That is awesome, but I wouldn't be surprised it ended up being priced close $55,000 over here though. For that money, you can a hauling poo poo car and a fast car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Someone just let me buy a luxury wagon with a 6 speed and a twin-turbo V6 diesel.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Bovril Delight posted:

Someone just let me buy a luxury wagon with a 6 speed and a twin-turbo V6 diesel.

How about a sequential twin turbo I4 with AWD?

But of course GM is probably going to cancel everything and sell the entire company to the Chinese. Thanks for the bailout! :tipshat:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hopefully we can get the 330d with the 3L straight six diesel in the sport wagon next year. I'm sure there won't be a manual though. :(

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I.....dont hate this: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/17/mansory-channels-enzo-styling-in-ferrari-458-spider-monaco-editi/ For a Mansory car, it's surprisingly restrained.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I.....dont hate this: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/17/mansory-channels-enzo-styling-in-ferrari-458-spider-monaco-editi/ For a Mansory car, it's surprisingly restrained.

What exactly would it taken them to put on the car for you to consider it tasteless?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Powershift posted:

What exactly would it taken them to put on the car for you to consider it tasteless?

It's Mansory, it starts here: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&q=mansory+panamera&gbv=2&biw=1440&bih=732&sei=wZ21T9_iO6m1iQe-24zcCA and gets worse.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Does anyone actually buy those things or is it just one big mob front for money laundering?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The guy who runs Gemballa was recently found in a ditch with a bullet in his head so it's probably something like that. I imagine the business model is like Roush or Saleen, in that they mostly sell lovely rims and spoilers for people to rice up their base model BMW 3 series and whatnot, and the complete cars are just a showcase of sorts?

So there's at least 1 Commodore sedan coming to the US, with possible wagon and utes too. Thanks Australian government!

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/17/holden-to-announce-export-of-commodore-sedan-to-north-america-o/

I don't understand why they don't just call it a Caprice?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Leave it to Mansory to make a 458 look worse.

Yeah, I said it. :colbert:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Ferrari really hasn't made a good looking car since the Enzo, which was no looker either.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Q_res posted:

Ferrari really hasn't made a good looking car since the 550 Maranello

Noticed a typo in your post, must have snuck past your spell checker.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Throatwarbler posted:

The guy who runs Gemballa was recently found in a ditch with a bullet in his head so it's probably something like that. I imagine the business model is like Roush or Saleen, in that they mostly sell lovely rims and spoilers for people to rice up their base model BMW 3 series and whatnot, and the complete cars are just a showcase of sorts?

So there's at least 1 Commodore sedan coming to the US, with possible wagon and utes too. Thanks Australian government!

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/17/holden-to-announce-export-of-commodore-sedan-to-north-america-o/

I don't understand why they don't just call it a Caprice?

Who cares, I'll be buying it. My G8 and GTO have been the best vehicles ever.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Q_res posted:

Ferrari really hasn't made a good looking car since the Enzo, which was no looker either.

The Enzo is hideous and looks like a shoe. The 550 and 575 were both very handsome, but the last real looker to come from Ferrari is the 355.

:quagmire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN
I dunno, I think the 599 GTO is one of the best looking vehicles to ever be produced.