Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Wallwyn posted:

I haven't seen the show so this is just a guess. Since Swedish and Danish (and Norwegian) are mutually intelligible, my guess would be that they all speak their own respective language.

Yeah, Danes and Swedes can typically communicate no problem, so long as you keep the worst of the regional dialects out of it.

Wallwyn posted:

Danish is a loving nightmare

:denmark: This is old as gently caress but here's a Norwegian comedy take on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If we're posting foreign comedy now, here is my favourite clip. This one's from the Netherlands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUVrvOSDQ-s

Yes, we've seen not much of that, Ted.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
:siren:Brian Blessed alert!:siren:

Looking forward to this.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Nice to see Neil in 56UP still hasn't got an actual job.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

SeanBeansShako posted:

:siren:Brian Blessed alert!:siren:

Are people just joking when they go on about Brian Blessed? I really don't get it. I saw him on that episode of QI and he comes across as one of those insufferable thespians, like the kids in school that did drama and would take it in turns to recite little monologues and anecdotes to each other instead of actually having conversations.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

fuf posted:

Are people just joking when they go on about Brian Blessed? I really don't get it. I saw him on that episode of QI and he comes across as one of those insufferable thespians, like the kids in school that did drama and would take it in turns to recite little monologues and anecdotes to each other instead of actually having conversations.

See on QI it might not be good, but he's done stuff like that BBC Animal Hospital with humans thing (just a hospital then) where he'd burst in on elderly people recovering from hip operations and ramble on about how lovely Sir Ian McKellan was in 1974. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPIfpp17GsY

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

fuf posted:

Sharp learning curve ahead.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

fuf posted:

go watch I Claudius. That also has Patrick Stewart in with (some) hair!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

fuf posted:

If you haven't seen Flash Gordon then I don't know what to say.

Seriously though, he just seems like an interesting character who has done a poo poo load of interesting things in his life. I find him pretty funny to be honest.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Rondette posted:

go watch I Claudius. That also has Patrick Stewart in with (some) hair!

When we watched that at school I always thought Patrick Stewart's character was named "Sir Janus".

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

NaDy posted:

If you haven't seen Flash Gordon then I don't know what to say.

Seriously though, he just seems like an interesting character who has done a poo poo load of interesting things in his life. I find him pretty funny to be honest.

Read his autobiography too. Dude has always been pretty over the top and amazing. Then theres the clip of his on HIGNFY where he talks about climbing Everest.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 15, 2012

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I didn't mean his acting. I just think it's weird that he's heralded as a lovable public figure by the same people that love Stephen Fry and David Mitchell and other people that are actually likable. He seems like the ultimate annoying hoorah Henry and I don't know why people find that type of personality appealing.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

He can pull it off because he's funny and self-aware.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

David Mitchell is likeable?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He is in the Unbelievable Truth on Radio 4.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Giedroyc posted:

Nice to see Neil in 56UP still hasn't got an actual job.
It absolutely slays me to see him as a 7 year old and then as an adult; it's too depressing for words.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

fuf posted:

I didn't mean his acting. I just think it's weird that he's heralded as a lovable public figure by the same people that love Stephen Fry and David Mitchell and other people that are actually likable. He seems like the ultimate annoying hoorah Henry and I don't know why people find that type of personality appealing.

It's like he realised he was being typecast as this big, beardy, shouty, scenery-eating thespian, thought 'gently caress that' and started doing comedy and climbing mountains for fun instead.

Has Stephen 'insufferably twee' Fry trekked to the North Pole? Wandered the jungles of South America? Appeared in Blake's 7? No, no he has not :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

He had his head humped by a rare Parrot though. Brian needs to one up this and get a rare bird orgy going in his beard.

[UK]The Great British Programme Discussion: I don't get <insert niche/classic celebrity here>.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

spincube posted:

Has Stephen 'insufferably twee' Fry trekked to the North Pole? Wandered the jungles of South America? Appeared in Blake's 7? No, no he has not :colbert:

Watch his documentary on manic-depression, it's anything but twee.

(And he talks to people like Carrie Fisher and Richard Dreyfus.)

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

fuf posted:

At times he does venture into that insufferable luvvie territory, but it doesn't happen often. He's just a remarkable guy, who has lived life to the full in every sense, has no regrets, and is happy to lampoon his past and his public image.

The man made his third attempt on Everest at the age of 55, breaking records for the highest altitude attained without oxygen, then turned back to help a stranded climber. Just some poo poo he decided to do, with no media coverage or the usual celebrity bollocks. He's also the oldest person ever to trek to the North Pole. Be thankful he didn't bellow his success when there, as it would probably have reversed the Earth's magnetic field.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
The final cuts to the BBC have been announced from the BBC Trust, who've managed to hold back on Shredder Thompson's ridiculously over the top carving up of the Corporation; http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/18089725

Ariel posted:

Most local radio stations will keep their own afternoon shows, and they will lose fewer journalists and reporters than originally proposed under DQF. The BBC Trust today approved the BBC's revised plans for English local radio as part of its Final Conclusions on Delivering Quality First. The trust agreed that local radio will now face cuts of £8m a year rather than the £15m that had been mooted by the BBC. Planned savings to content making of £8.5m have been reduced to just over £2.1m. The savings that had been suggested previously were 'disproportionate to the value of these services to their audience', the trust believed. Following protest from the public and MPs, the trust has concluded that only a 'very small' number of stations will share content in the afternoons - and these for operational or strong editorial reasons. All stations will, however, share a new all-England weekday evening programme with opt outs for live sport and local news. And further savings will be made from stations starting broadcasting an hour later than currently at 6am, with 5 live going out overnight. Sport and community output is to be more protected on local radio, but senior people will be at risk as the BBC looks to reduce management layers within stations. There will no longer be separate breakfast programmes within Devon, Three Counties, Wiltshire and Cambridgeshire.

The trust had also called in January for a rethink on proposed cuts to English Regions current affairs strand Inside Out. The revised plan will halve the proposed level of cuts from 40 to 20%. 'This will allow the Inside Out strand to continue to run 11 separate editions, with separate regional lead stories for most editions,' the trust stated. But more items on the programme will be shared, the trust conceded, with investigative stories prioritised.

The trust concluded that the Asian Network will now face budget cuts of around 18% - down from the initial proposal of 34%. It will close between midnight and 6am - a slight decrease in its broadcast hours. Daily devotional programmes, drama and sport will be scrapped along with ten documentary programmes a year. The trust also approved plans to increase music content. The BBC Trust's service review - also published today - pinpoints the under 35s as the primary audience, who value new Asian music most. Meanwhile, the BBC - which had been asked to reconsider proposals to decommission the weekly one hour current affairs show on 5 live - has now decided to move the programme to a more prominent slot.

Lord Patten, chairman of the trust, thanked BBC staff today for their 'hard work and patience' during the 16 month process, which included internal and public consultations, and for the 'spirit' with which they had enaged with DQF. He accepted that making the plans a reality would be 'tough' and would affect many BBC people personally. 'But we are confident that this plan puts us in a strong starting position to make the necessary changes.' The BBC, which initiated DQF to make savings of 20% following the 2010 licence fee deal, welcomed the trust's approval of its proposals. 'The coming years will involve a significant effort from people at every level of the BBC to deliver the savings while we continue to provide the quality programmes and services that audiences expect from us.'

e: fixed dumb BBC article formatting

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 16, 2012

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Testro posted:

It absolutely slays me to see him as a 7 year old and then as an adult; it's too depressing for words.

Yeah it's quite shocking and depressing how his life was for so long. You'd have to imagine if this was started now they'd all have Max Clifford shilling them to the media and failed pop careers, rather than fairly normal average jobs. I did laugh in a juvenile way when he was working out of disgraced MP Mark Oaten's office.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So I got those Louis Theroux documentaries I was babbling about a few pages back and got around to watching them, has anyone seen/remembers watching the Thai Brides episode? This is creepy as gently caress.

Namely the shady old guy in a twat-cap.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Flipswitch posted:

So I got those Louis Theroux documentaries I was babbling about a few pages back and got around to watching them, has anyone seen/remembers watching the Thai Brides episode? This is creepy as gently caress.

Was that the guy with the blonde hair, moustache, and anger issues?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Nah, that guy was a bit off his head too though. Got married after a single date with one girl, Jesus Christ.

The guy I'm on about was running a meeting agency and just struck me as a general creeper.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

After I gave all of Louis Theroux's documentaries to my sister to watch while she was recovering from an operation, she specifically got me to watch the Thai Brides one just because of how creepy that guy was. He's pretty undeniably skeevy.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Apparently Alan Partridge is back but for a couple of hour long special episodes but he is on sky.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

They are also re-editing Midmorning Matters into a 6 part series, 30 minutes an episode, with a second series planned. All on Sky Atlantic!

The two one hour specials will be one based on Alan travelling around Norfolk talking about the places he loves, and the second is a face to face interview with a fictional book club.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Brown Moses posted:

one based on Alan travelling around Norfolk talking about the places he loves

So 'The Trip' but with Lyn instead of Rob Brydon? I could handle this.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

After I gave all of Louis Theroux's documentaries to my sister to watch while she was recovering from an operation, she specifically got me to watch the Thai Brides one just because of how creepy that guy was. He's pretty undeniably skeevy.
Yeah, a lot of them were. I mean I didn't want to make a passing judgement on the stereotype of people who use a bride-order service but poo poo the bed they didn't do themselves any favours.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

They are also re-editing Midmorning Matters into a 6 part series, 30 minutes an episode, with a second series planned. All on Sky Atlantic!

The two one hour specials will be one based on Alan travelling around Norfolk talking about the places he loves, and the second is a face to face interview with a fictional book club.

So we'll finally see people making him crack about his 2nd book about himself? it'll be gold!

Whats the news about this movie thingy though?

And I guess SKY has abandoned Discworld now too.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I've gone a bit Alan mad lately. After rewatching the hilarious Mid Morning Matters I was jonesing for more, so I've been powering through KMKYWAP and IAP, and I, Partridge was my first purchase when I got my new kindle. After I'm done with all that, it'll be Saxondale next!

Really happy mid morning matters is returning though. My favourite Sidekick Simon moment:

"Mm, this wine really lingers on the palate."
"Yeah much like a lazy forklift truck driver"

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

So we'll finally see people making him crack about his 2nd book about himself? it'll be gold!

Whats the news about this movie thingy though?

And I guess SKY has abandoned Discworld now too.

I didn't really enjoy the Discworld stuff Sky did, so I would be happy if they left it alone. The productions felt far too small to me. They had too few extras, the sets never seemed big enough, and, other than the odd scene, the CGI was awful. Also David Jason was never in a million years Rincewind. :colbert:

edit: I will happily watch anything anyone makes ever that features Alan Partridge, though. Except ITV probably.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hogfather and Going Postal were okay despite a few things. The attempt at Colour of Magic was absolute poo poo though I'm sorry.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Colour of Magic had a few moments that were good, but generally was pretty bad over all.

Hogfather though is still one of my most favourite films ever, it's just perfectly Pratchett, right down to the production values.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Idioteque Dance posted:

I, Partridge was my first purchase when I got my new kindle.

:psyduck: Why would you not buy the audiobook?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Going Postal was pretty fantastic. It skipped a lot of stuff but hit pretty well on the things that mattered. Coyle was a great Moist, all things considered, and at the very least Andrew Sachs and Ian Bonar hit it out of the park as Groat and Stanley :3:

They're working on Unseen Academicals, last I heard. Did that change? Always did seem an odd one to adapt. I'm still looking forward to it though.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Z-Magic posted:

:psyduck: Why would you not buy the audiobook?
The book has footnotes, a foreword (which is brilliant, because its basically just a very lukewarm letter of recommendation from Alan's boss at Mid Morning Matters) and a list of songs you might want to listen to while reading it.

Basically, they're both cracking.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Saw BBC3 is doing a Family Guy thing today, hosted by Robert Webb, and for some reason they've just started showing the first part of a two-parter immediately after showing the second. Not by accident, Webb acknowledged this in the continuity.

Edit: good episode of Would I Lie To You tonight, particularly enjoyed Bob Mortimer talking about splitting apples with his bare hands, whilst David Mitchell quizzed him on thumb positioning.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!
It's taken me up to that post to realise it's a family guy night, had the tv on in the background and am so used to bbc3 pretty much being the animated rerun channel from like 10 onwards.

Not that I'm admitting to having the channel on bbc3 or owt, I watch snog/marry/avoid for an important project okay???