Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
All the nitrates from jamming salamis into her vagina hosed up her bladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I'm not saying that her retarded view on nutrition caused her ailment. I'm just saying that, after all of the candy being rubbed on her etc, it took western medicine diagnosis for her to realize that she needs more than Dr. Ronni for her to live a life.

I wasn't specifically calling you out, just kinda wanted to put that out there because it felt like some were trying to make some connection between her illness and green drink and what have you.

As for the Steve Jobs things, they're in 2 totally different points, he and Robin. The overall prognosis for bladder cancer is usually very good, mostly because people present with low grade cancer. Pancreatic cancer, almost regardless of form(and Jobs had a less aggressive one), is a virtual death sentence. You're almost certainly going to die from it and it's probably going to happen sooner rather than later. Unless you present with a late stage bladder cancer, you are more than likely going to beat that cancer.

Steve Jobs tried alternative medicine because when people are faced with their own mortality they will try almost anything, regardless of whether or not they actually believe in it. I don't think that if, 3-4 years ago, Robin presented with bladder cancer, that she would ignore the "Western" fix to it since it's fairly easy to beat at an early stage, doesn't jive with what she's been doing, which is something you'd more likely see from someone facing death.

Now, having said that, I do think that something kicked it all off. I think something went wrong in her, she went to the doctor and he said "if you don't do this, this, and this then you might die and soon". Face facts, by the time you hit 30 you are set in your ways. People rarely change unless, in my experience, there's a great amount of money involved or they are realizing their own mortality. Robin most likely got spooked by something and that kick started it all but I do not think that she's had bladder cancer for the past however many years and has been trying to beat it with alternative medicine. It usually takes an amazing amount of faith in religion or a true belief in a specific type of alternative medicine to be able to do something like stare down cancer and ignore Western medicine. Robin does not have that kind of willpower and would quickly bow to Western treatments the moment it was explained to her that leaving it untreated would kill her.

The unfortunate side here is that bladder cancer is very tough to keep away. It has a very high recurrent rate and if/when she beats this she is going to need to stay on top of this thing for pretty much the rest of her life.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 18, 2012

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
As I understand it, cancer thrives in the presence of broken down sugars/carbohydrates and it isn't much of a leap to think Robin's diet has elevated glucose levels over several years. If I were ever diagnosed with cancer I would completely cut out fruit and everything else containing carbohydrate.

You also said (paraphrasing) that a very large percentage of cancer is random.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_and_cancer

quote:

Almost all cancers (80–90%) are caused by environmental factors,[2] and of these, 30–40% of cancers are directly linked to the diet.[3]

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

ragle posted:

As I understand it, cancer thrives in the presence of broken down sugars/carbohydrates and it isn't much of a leap to think Robin's diet has elevated glucose levels over several years. If I were ever diagnosed with cancer I would completely cut out fruit and everything else containing carbohydrate.

You also said (paraphrasing) that a very large percentage of cancer is random.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_and_cancer

Your theory is generally correct in that you'd want to lower your carb intake if you had cancer. However, the overwhelming amount of vegans and vegetarians get their carbs at the same place as us meat eaters: grains. Being a vegan and encountering cancer would not mean you would need to eliminate fruits so much as you'd really need to eliminate grains(gluten is especially bad in this case).

But I stand by my thought that outside of eliminating major carcinogens and other avoidable risk factors that cancer is very much a roll of the dice as cancer is too vast and varied with far too many risk factors. My point is that unless you're eating horribly unhealthy on a consistent basis you're not making yourself at risk by doing something like eating vegan. I imagine when connections are made between diet and cancer it usually involves fat people who sit at a desk all day and all night and eat fast food and drink soda, not people whose diets are green and leafy in nature. That entire wikipedia page is basically screaming to a reader that eating a diet rich in fruits, grain and vegetables is going to help you lower the risk for a lot of different cancers.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 18, 2012

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
Given Robin's history, my theory is that the "grapefruit-sized object" up there is actually a grapefruit.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

Steve Jobs tried alternative medicine because when people are faced with their own mortality they will try almost anything, regardless of whether or not they actually believe in it. I don't think that if, 3-4 years ago, Robin presented with bladder cancer, that she would ignore the "Western" fix to it since it's fairly easy to beat at an early stage, doesn't jive with what she's been doing, which is something you'd more likely see from someone facing death.

Didn't Jobs find his cancer in enough time to stop it, but instead decided to try the alternative methods first? I remember some article going on about how he would have been saved but simply didn't bother until it was too late.

That said, why do I get the feeling that part of the doctor 'lowering the boom' was telling her to stop with her lovely fad diets and magical cures? I feel bad for Quivers, but I can't help but think that her doctor was brutally honest on how much of what she does is ripoffs and scams design to bilk people. We are talking about Robin, who really doesn't have that thick of a skin to deal with that sort of thing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Didn't Jobs find his cancer in enough time to stop it, but instead decided to try the alternative methods first? I remember some article going on about how he would have been saved but simply didn't bother until it was too late.

All I know is that pancreatic cancer seems to be a death sentence.

That said, why do I get the feeling that part of the doctor 'lowering the boom' was telling her to stop with her lovely fad diets and magical cures? I feel bad for Quivers, but I can't help but think that her doctor was brutally honest on how much of what she does is ripoffs and scams design to bilk people. We are talking about Robin, who really doesn't have that thick of a skin to deal with that sort of thing.

I really hope that a real doctor really hit her over the head on this subject. Even if it's a matter of life-and-death, I don't know if it will be enough to clear her head.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Yes he did that. It was in his book. He treated it with diet first and you see where that got him.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

kylej posted:

The craziest poo poo I ever heard Robin talk about was flying to California to go into some strange machine that's supposed to help your blood circulate more efficiently.

Yes. You know why she had to fly all the way to California for it? Because it was a bullshit procedure that no regular doctor would perform. She managed to find one guy that did it.

My beef with Robin is how she always wanted to "educate" people on health but would do so by promoting obvious bullshit programs and then refusing to debate or hear anyone else's option. She would never admit that regular diet and exercise would be effective wight loss.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bonzo posted:

Yes. You know why she had to fly all the way to California for it? Because it was a bullshit procedure that no regular doctor would perform. She managed to find one guy that did it.

It's actually a normal procedure for people who have heart failure. But for people with working parts, it's just silly.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

prefect posted:

All I know is that pancreatic cancer seems to be a death sentence.

1 year survival rate is 25%, 5 year is 6%, for all stages combined. He was diagnosed in 2003. He got about as far as one can with that disease, all things considered.

Bladder cancer, on the other hand, has an 85% survival rate for 5 years when it concerns low-grade cancer(which over 80% present with and which is almost certainly what Robin has if she has cancer). Even the 5 year for later stage is almost 20%.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 18, 2012

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bonzo posted:

My beef with Robin is how she always wanted to "educate" people on health but would do so by promoting obvious bullshit programs and then refusing to debate or hear anyone else's option. She would never admit that regular diet and exercise would be effective wight loss.

I agree with this entirely.

I did love how Robin would dummy-up when they tried to discuss Richard's weight loss with her. Especially since it consisted of little more than exercise and tracking his calories. Not even eating better, but just less of the same crap he always ate and drank.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Oh yeah, no matter what Robin shouldn't be telling people how to live either way. She has a lot of privileged thinking that is very annoying.

Oh you should all fly to this village and meet with the elders, it is great, really good for you!

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I think she did say Western medicine was good when you had an emergency, like a broken arm or something. I'm not sure it applied to cancer.

I'm just mad everybody keeps saying she got rubbed with Mike and Ike's. It was good and plentys, which is a vastly inferior candy.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I think she did say Western medicine was good when you had an emergency, like a broken arm or something. I'm not sure it applied to cancer.

I'm just mad everybody keeps saying she got rubbed with Mike and Ike's. It was good and plentys, which is a vastly inferior candy.

I've seen a few jokes about that. Did Robin seriously pay somebody to rub her with candy? Why on earth would anyone do that?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

prefect posted:

I've seen a few jokes about that. Did Robin seriously pay somebody to rub her with candy? Why on earth would anyone do that?

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJxhZf0vIp8

It's more absurd that you can imagine.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

prefect posted:

Too much money and time on their hands?
Not used to reality living in her "You are always right" rich person mode.
She got tired of telling her cats she loved them and wanted to fill her empty life with something else?
If she can't eat them, maybe she can absorb them.
Some other rich idiot told her to.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I wonder if she'll choose to be cremated and laid to rest in the same barrel as her horse.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I wonder if she'll choose to be cremated and laid to rest in the same barrel as her horse.

Wait, Robin had her horse cremated?

I can't imagine that being a typical way of dealing with a dead horse.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 18, 2012

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

-Atom- posted:

Wait, Robin had her horse cremated?

I can't imagine that being a typical way of dealing with dead horse.

I don't know about all horses but with race horses, they just bury the hooves and the heart.

A horse is pretty big so when one dies you basically have to just cut it up to move it or haul it with a crane.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Unless you're in France, it's generally easier to melt down something the size of a horse than it is to dig a giant hole and put it in the ground.

In France, you just whip up a little Horse a l'orange and feed the extended family.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
So I'm just catching up on the Nick and Artie show and I've started into the early May episodes where they hired on a pair of blonde girls full time.

I'm really not liking this addition to show and I keep on skipping huge chunks of the show whenever they start talking which seems to be constantly.

Can anyone who listens to the more current shows please tell me if and they mercifully fade into the background after while?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Vakal posted:

So I'm just catching up on the Nick and Artie show and I've started into the early May episodes where they hired on a pair of blonde girls full time.

I'm really not liking this addition to show and I keep on skipping huge chunks of the show whenever they start talking which seems to be constantly.

Can anyone who listens to the more current shows please tell me if and they mercifully fade into the background after while?

Artie has them performing scenes from Raging Bull now. Everything goes right over their heads.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Vakal posted:

Unfortunately not. They have them doing special projects now, like giving the scores in limerick-style (when they don't know what a limerick is...) or in German or British accents.
Artie flips out when they do it wrong, and it's kinda funny, but if you hate them regardless, that does not bode well...

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
The whole point is Artie is putting them there to make fun of women, and mainly them. You are not supposed to like them, Artie knows this and enjoys torturing you and them at the same time.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I like how every time Artie does an annoying person, its with a Chicago accent.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

The whole point is Artie is putting them there to make fun of women, and mainly them. You are not supposed to like them, Artie knows this and enjoys torturing you and them at the same time.

Also see Mariska Hargitary's segment on Jimmy Fallon before Nick's.

I shudder

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

FogHelmut posted:

I like how every time Artie does an annoying person, its with a Chicago accent.

Isn't that for Dan? Isn't he from Chicago?

I love when Artie is trying to spoon feed those ditzy girls lines and they can't even pull them off, but yeah, a little too long with them and I get bored.

I wish Eric the Midget would call in. I'd love to hear Artie just lace into that guy.

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.

Vakal posted:

The Twins are awesome, especially now that Artie is "dating" one of them. They're great in that DirecTV required them to read sports scores, and now N&A are mocking that in every way possible.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Maybe they will grow on me. I didn't care much for Dan either until they started raging on him constantly.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Brocktoon posted:

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJxhZf0vIp8

It's more absurd that you can imagine.

I like he moves closer and closer to her big brown mounds with every new thing he does.

Edit: Also, I love everything about the Nick and Artie show. Nick has reigned in some of his comically heinous opinions, Artie is hilarious, and them interviewing Danny Aiello in the studio for nearly 2 hours the other night was great.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
Artie meets up with some of the Sirius crew:

No Howard since it's a day off of course.

Also, Colin Quinn is filling in for Artie on Tuesday since he'll be shooting an episode of Californication.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

porkfriedrice posted:

Also, Colin Quinn is filling in for Artie on Tuesday since he'll be shooting an episode of Californication.

Lisa G. Always front and center.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Burden posted:

Lisa G. Always front and center.

She is probably the most empty person I know of.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I guess High Pitch Mike got over Artie calling him a fag for four years. And he managed to get both his eyes at the same angle for the picture.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Szyznyk posted:

I guess High Pitch Mike got over Artie calling him a fag for four years. And he managed to get both his eyes at the same angle for the picture.

Didn't they make up after he came out?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

porkfriedrice posted:

gently caress yeah bros check out those DDs :D

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

If you listen back to the high pitch mike coming out era you notice that the moment he comes out his voice drops an octave, then when he first says he has hooked up with a guy after coming out its nearly manly.

I need a gay gay to explain this process to me.

He looks pretty good there doesnt he (still blotchy though)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Seaside Loafer posted:

If you listen back to the high pitch mike coming out era you notice that the moment he comes out his voice drops an octave, then when he first says he has hooked up with a guy after coming out its nearly manly.

I need a gay gay to explain this process to me.

Back on NBC, Howard's voice was very tight and high-pitched. He's said it was because he couldn't relax, and his voice couldn't come down in pitch. Probably something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

In France, you just whip up a little Horse a l'orange and feed the extended family.

Without vegetables, though. The French don't eat vegetables.