Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm usually a pretty picky guy, but I can't find a single fault with this program. Maybe I'm just a sucker for "inside looks" at how skiis, bowling pins, tractors, and chewing gum are made.

If you haven't already done so, try a random episode.

It is like an entire show of Mr. Rogers' Picture Picture visit to the Crayola factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

cornface posted:

It is like an entire show of Mr. Rogers' Picture Picture visit to the Crayola factory.

Yup, only without the smooth jazz.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Want to recommend a couple good German movies I saw recently, sorry if these were mentioned more than the five pages back that I checked:

The Red Baron, about Manfred von Richthofen. I've been on a WW1 kick since finishing off Young Indiana Jones. English language, stars a bunch of actors you'll recognize from American films.

Rammbock, a zombie flick that mostly takes place around one apartment building. Stars an atypical hero and it's more 28 Days Later than Dawn of the Dead. I don't think they kill a single zombie in the whole film.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sizzler Manager posted:

If you're watching a Donnie Yen movie for the plot, you're doing it wrong.

Well when more than half the film is dialogue trying to sell you on any sort of plot it's a tad hard to ignore. They should really just make films like these hour long action scenes with a little plot as possible, like "Cop is chasing a dude through a building" and the action just takes off from there. No bullshit development or anything, just rear end kicking the whole way through.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Rammbock, a zombie flick that mostly takes place around one apartment building. Stars an atypical hero and it's more 28 Days Later than Dawn of the Dead. I don't think they kill a single zombie in the whole film.

Going to second this, it's a drat fine film about two strangers trying to survive in a building and escape safely.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Saint Sputnik posted:

Sounds very much like La Horde and according to Netflix I watched Rammbock back in November but I have no recollection of doing so. Along these lines I just watched Devil's Playground, a 28DL-ish zombie movie that for some reason headlines Jaime Murray although she only has a bit part, the real stars are Craig Fairbrass, Danny Dyer, & MyAnna Buring. The plot and especially motivations are all pretty sketchy, the acting is B-movie acceptable.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
If you're in the mood for a feel-good documentary go watch Being Elmo - A Puppeteer's Journey.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'll second that, Being Elmo turned out to be pretty great. I had overlooked it for a long time since I could give a poo poo about Elmo, he didn't get added to the show until I had outgrown Sesame Street so I always just associated it with the toy craze and wondered why my younger siblings liked him so much.

In any case, his puppeteer is awesome and there's a ton of Jim Henson/muppet history and behind the scenes material in the movie, if you like the muppets at all you should definitely watch it.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Henson/Muppet stuff was my favorite part. Much like how The Rockafire Explosion wound up being a primer on animatronics and the history of Showbiz Pizza, Being Elmo is much about Henson and his studio as it is about Clash and the Muppets. Which is why I wasn't too disappointed that the parts about Clash (like his divorce) are ignored in favor of happier stuff.

If you liked the behind-the-scenes stuff on puppeteering and Henson being himself there's an awesome Muppet-made special called Muppets on Puppets that you can probably find on YouTube or elsewhere.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm usually a pretty picky guy, but I can't find a single fault with this program. Maybe I'm just a sucker for "inside looks" at how skiis, bowling pins, tractors, and chewing gum are made.

If you haven't already done so, try a random episode.

The only negative is the constant barrage of groan-worthy puns :colbert:. Aside from that it's fantastic. I've watched it on TV when I've got nothing else going on but I've killed a lot of time with it on netflix the past few nights.

Teeter has a new favorite as of 06:59 on Apr 26, 2012

ohnoitsphil
Mar 30, 2005

It says Flomax! Thats prostate medicine you guys!!!
I watched The Baby a few weeks ago. Weird psychological thriller that was kinda slow but had a huge payoff. The main character is a social worker that is trying to save a 21-year old 'baby' from a coocoo family situation.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

While there's only 10 episodes across the two series available, Luther owns. I don't know what the goon opinion of this show has been, but I've been enjoying the hell out of it.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
Oh Luther rules. One of the best shows out there.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Watched Smoke Signals the other night - I never saw it when it first came out but in college I got pretty into Sherman Alexie's stuff. The movie was very good.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

errol _flynn posted:

Oh Luther rules. One of the best shows out there.

Yuuuuuuuuuup.

:)

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

neonnoodle posted:

Watched Smoke Signals the other night - I never saw it when it first came out but in college I got pretty into Sherman Alexie's stuff. The movie was very good.

I watched this at someone's house years ago. Other than the song about John Wayne's teeth, the whole movie just felt sort of pointless. Maybe that was the point.

Luther is awesome, though, I just wish the seasons weren't so short. It is kind of like a reverse Dexter, but with good writing and acting. (so nothing like Dexter)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Teeter posted:

The only negative is the constant barrage of groan-worthy puns :colbert:. Aside from that it's fantastic. I've watched it on TV when I've got nothing else going on but I've killed a lot of time with it on netflix the past few nights.

The puns are part of the charm :swoon:

I'm shocked when there isn't a pun--the episode we just watched featured metal chains. Not a single "weak link" pun the entire time.

Bleach: Memories of Nobody popped up. It's an anime film and a bit of a guilty pleasure. Japanese language, subtitled. The animation is pretty good, and the voice actors do an excellent job. The subtitles are...wonky, at times, but not cumbersomely so. If you like shounen anime spirit magic swordfighting, you're in luck.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If you like Luther, you'll probably like Sherlock too! (probably has already been mentioned)

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Castaway on the Moon. Holy poo poo.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Luther seems to come up every few pages and for good reasons. That show does amazing things in 10 episodes that other shows cant even do in 100 episodes.

As for movies, a Documentary I watched awhile back but still suggest to anyone I can is Waste Land. A very uplifting story about how art can completely change your life.

Slandible has a new favorite as of 04:02 on Apr 29, 2012

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

priznat posted:

If you like Luther, you'll probably like Sherlock too! (probably has already been mentioned)

I'd like Sherlock a lot more if there were more than the same three loving episodes they've had for a year now. How long ago did series 2 air in the UK?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Speaking of Luther, anyone know when season 3 is going to start in the UK? I need to find a way of watching it on release and not wait 2 years for Netflix to get it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

There is a BBC iOS app but it seems kind of pricey (subscription based)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

RedneckwithGuns posted:

While there's only 10 episodes across the two series available, Luther owns. I don't know what the goon opinion of this show has been, but I've been enjoying the hell out of it.
It's a wonderful parody of a cop show, but I can't really take it seriously. Watching him destroy his office, or stalk his wife, while befriending a murderer (whom he convinced himself initially of their guilt because of a lacking yawning and who he doesn't turn in even with the evidence available to him)....gently caress, it has to be a comedy, right?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Watched the documentary Knuckle, which was basically like Brad Pitt's storyline in Snatch, incomprehensible dialog included. Watching the irish gypsy families stage fights for vague reasons was pretty interesting even if it was pretty pointless.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Gaunab posted:

Watched the documentary Knuckle, which was basically like Brad Pitt's storyline in Snatch, incomprehensible dialog included. Watching the irish gypsy families stage fights for vague reasons was pretty interesting even if it was pretty pointless.

I liked Knuckle, though it seems like it got kind of lame at the end.

Watched Hollywood Complex last night, which is a documentary about some sad wannabe child actors and their insane parents who all live in the same apartment complex for several months out of the year (or in some cases, several years) while getting transparently bilked for money by an ever rotating cast of agents, coaches, and photographers.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Yeah, I saw that one too. It was good but just so sad seeing these people get dicked around for most of the documentary and having little to show for it. Especially the girl and mom from Missouri. When they got the phone call and got excited after she changed her name, I thought they were finally getting somewhere but nope, just a $25 gift card to Best Buy. I also didn't like how it everyone around the documentary but the families knew how low their chances of success were. Sort of felt like it was made to humiliate the families.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Gaunab posted:

Yeah, I saw that one too. It was good but just so sad seeing these people get dicked around for most of the documentary and having little to show for it. Especially the girl and mom from Missouri. When they got the phone call and got excited after she changed her name, I thought they were finally getting somewhere but nope, just a $25 gift card to Best Buy. I also didn't like how it everyone around the documentary but the families knew how low their chances of success were. Sort of felt like it was made to humiliate the families.

That lady was clearly only there to avoid having to go back to her bumfuck town with her bumfuck husband and her mountains of vodka laced ice cream, so it is hard to really feel bad about it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Along that note is Confessions of a Superhero. It's a documentary that follows a few of the people who dress are superheroes on Hollywood Blvd and make a living off all of the tourists. Most of them are aspiring actors and seem to think that they're just killing time before their big break when they get discovered. Overall it was enjoyable and worth watching. They're mostly crazy but I remember rooting for the Hulk because he's a cool dude.

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho

Sizzler Manager posted:

I'd like Sherlock a lot more if there were more than the same three loving episodes they've had for a year now. How long ago did series 2 air in the UK?

Series 2 of Sherlock starts May 6th, It will be edited harshly but may be worth a watch anyway.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Cross-posting from CineD:

mod sassinator posted:

A ton of new flicks added today, like:
Bubba Hotep - great horror comedy with Bruce Campbell
Dog Day Afternoon - classic 70s Pachino, and a great heist gone wrong based on a true story
Gandhi - fantastic epic film, must see!
Groundhog Day - watch it over and over and over again
Iron Giant - modern classic animated flick
Karate Kid - the 1984 original, still has a soft nostalgic spot in my heart
Network - another 70s classic, great satire that's scarily prescient about television today
Omega Man - cult classic sci fi with Charleton Heston
Starship Troopers - fantastic sci fi flick
Top Gun - another 80s classic

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Movies expiring soon that are worth watching(?):

The Third Man: A film noir of incomparable quality. A classic if there ever was one. A must watch.

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three: A fun, tense thriller. Walter Matthau makes everything good. My favorite part of this movie is how much effort it puts into setting up a joke.

And three I haven't seen but that I think I'll try to catch before they disappear:
My Man Godfrey: Everyone needs a Man Godfrey.
The Trial: Orson Welles plus Kafka? It's like peanut butter and chocolate! But instead of chocolate, existential dread.
Un Chien Andalou: You've heard of it.

Just about everything quoted is good. And in most cases, classic. The good kind of classic that's still great to watch.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I noticed The People Vs George Lucas the other day and put it in my queue. Really looking forward to watching it. Anyone seen it yet?

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Pope Mobile posted:

I noticed The People Vs George Lucas the other day and put it in my queue. Really looking forward to watching it. Anyone seen it yet?

I watch pretty much any documentary, so I watched it. I thought it was kind of lame. If you are a big Star Wars fan, your opinion might differ. It seemed like it was trying too hard.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm watching it right now and it's pretty good, it's basically a love letter to all Star Wars fans that hate what Lucas after the original trilogy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Red Letter Media guy should have his "reviews" of the prequels up on Netflix, those are great.

Probably some content issues what with using clips from the movies though.

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011
I saw that "Edmond" is on there. Good movie. I don't know how to describe it other than William H Macy has this weird midlife crisis/descent to hell episode. Bizarre ending for sure.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
In my quest to find good sci-fi I decided to try a movie called Cypher with Lucy Lui being the only cast member I'd ever heard of and she's hardly a ringing endorsement. It was fantastic. less sci-fi than a twisty Nolan-esque type thing but the setting and visuals were great and I was solidly hooked the whole way through, which is very rare for me. It's got very little action and instead is quite talky.

A solid recommendation.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

jojoinnit posted:

In my quest to find good sci-fi I decided to try a movie called Cypher with Lucy Lui being the only cast member I'd ever heard of and she's hardly a ringing endorsement. It was fantastic. less sci-fi than a twisty Nolan-esque type thing but the setting and visuals were great and I was solidly hooked the whole way through, which is very rare for me. It's got very little action and instead is quite talky.

A solid recommendation.

I watched Cypher awhile back and wholly concur. The same director, Vincenzo Natali, did Cube and Splice.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Teeter posted:

Along that note is Confessions of a Superhero. It's a documentary that follows a few of the people who dress are superheroes on Hollywood Blvd and make a living off all of the tourists. Most of them are aspiring actors and seem to think that they're just killing time before their big break when they get discovered. Overall it was enjoyable and worth watching. They're mostly crazy but I remember rooting for the Hulk because he's a cool dude.

Literally every person who goes to LA to try to be an actor should watch this movie first because it's basically Broken Dreams: The Film. It's also incredibly fascinating.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

sixdeadpandas posted:

I saw that "Edmond" is on there. Good movie. I don't know how to describe it other than William H Macy has this weird midlife crisis/descent to hell episode. Bizarre ending for sure.

Urgh, I really didn't like this one. One of the only good things I can say about it is that Dulé Hill is in it (don't get your hopes up, he's only onscreen for a minute). William H. Macy does an okay job at being a bizarre, possibly mentally-ill guy that suffers a...breakdown? Not like Michael Douglas in Falling Down--he doesn't go nuts on convenience store clerks and racists--he just walks off and...does stuff.

Hey, look--Office Space is up! Watch that instead. Ron Livingston plays an average joe that works for a software company with his friends Samir and Michael Bolton. It's often said that this film is "required viewing" for anyone entering the corporate world. It also stars Gary Cole as the worst boss ever and John McGinley (who you might remember as Dr. Cox from the show Scrubs) as an "efficiency expert." Rated R for a whole fuckton of swearing. Seriously, when this film came out, the CAP Alert guy probably shat himself.

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 13:06 on May 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Crossposted from other Netflix thread:

Cold Comfort Farm, bitches!

Please watch this if you are at all a fan of whimsical comedy, period pieces, and Kate Beckinsale operating at peak adorability (we're talking Meg Ryan times Audrey Hepburn levels here, folks).

• Locked thread