Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I have like 15 sitting undone or something like that.

I keep meaning to finally break open the paints so I can do detailing, but I'm too lazy to clear my work area/table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Actually all I did for the clear lenses is paint the backs with chrome silver and use a clear color on the front. The chrome really adds that extra depth.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I have a bunch un-done but I fairly regularly built them till I got tired of not having a proper area to do so in. Cramped computer desk in a messy room leads to questions like "where the gently caress did both of the hazel's head sensor pieces go" and whatnot. Once I can get a good desk and maybe even a little paintbox for summer I'll be back at it. :colbert:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ah yes the struggle to find a good work area. The second biggest challenge to building model kits, right after laziness.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Well I don't have the right supplies and paints right now to finish the kits exactly the way I wan't them yet, so I can't finish them

Yeah, that's it... :ohdear:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I'm going to have a huge pile of gunpla to work on once I find employment, I got a MG V Dash almost a year ago but haven't started cause I kind of want to paint it to get rid of the marks where the parts were on the sprue. I can think of like a dozen kits I want off the top of my head and I know there're also loads I want that I can't recall at this moment. One day I will drown in gunpla boxes.

On that note does anyone know where in the UK you can get the right paint for gunpla?

Really I should get a couple of HGs so I can get some practice in first and not worry so much about ruining them.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Faltion posted:

I too have just gotten back into gunpla after a 10 year break and I too have just finished my first suit since as of today!

More pictures in the Set.

Okay, this is so good I'm going to go ahead and start a Completed Goon Projects post after the OP. Great job, and I love seeing this kind of thing in the thread.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ActionZero posted:

I'm going to have a huge pile of gunpla to work on once I find employment, I got a MG V Dash almost a year ago but haven't started cause I kind of want to paint it to get rid of the marks where the parts were on the sprue.

You dont need paint for that, just cut them far away enough from the piece and sand it down and polish with fine grit.

I dont even prime and paint until I cant see where it was cut from.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Easily the most work i've put into a model kit yet. I'm more than satisfied with the results though.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

sorta kinda, Its these figures

from this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw48o19fySc

the alex gundam appears to be an english version repackaging. It has a skill level of 7 on it. I remember skill levels being a thing when gundam wing kits were blowing up in the US.
This has the normal japanese instructions still.

Panty and Stocking! Funny show :P. Didn't recognize the box at all XD.

Do they even these NA repackaged MG models anymore? I still prefer the original box better.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Fauxtool posted:

Oh is that what we are talking about now?

Notice its 2 boxes deep and this is only my small pile. I ran out of room in my closet months ago.
I have a problem
And I thought I was bad with the 14 or so I've got piled around me right now (they fit surprisingly well in the open spaces of my computer desk), including a PG WZC I've been using as an impromptu shelf for... gently caress, how long ago did Amazon sell off these things, again?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
My 1/144 HGUC Banshee arrived this morning, so I spent the afternoon putting it together. I was surprised that it didn't take as long to complete as my first model kit, the RG Zaku II Custom, and even more surprised that it seems to be a lot sturdier. With the RG Zaku, I've had a lot of problems that have popped up around the legs and skirt while posing it, and the Banshee is just a lot more solidly put-together. Only problem with the construction is that the elbow joints have a pretty limited angle of free movement.

Also, it came with a bunch of other pieces that look like parts specific to the Unicorn, except molded in Banshee colors, like the beam rifle and shield. Does the HGUC Unicorn come with extra Banshee parts in Unicorn colors?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Well Manicured Man posted:

My 1/144 HGUC Banshee arrived this morning, so I spent the afternoon putting it together. I was surprised that it didn't take as long to complete as my first model kit, the RG Zaku II Custom, and even more surprised that it seems to be a lot sturdier. With the RG Zaku, I've had a lot of problems that have popped up around the legs and skirt while posing it, and the Banshee is just a lot more solidly put-together. Only problem with the construction is that the elbow joints have a pretty limited angle of free movement.

Also, it came with a bunch of other pieces that look like parts specific to the Unicorn, except molded in Banshee colors, like the beam rifle and shield. Does the HGUC Unicorn come with extra Banshee parts in Unicorn colors?

Building a HG kit is supposed to be faster than building a RG kit. HG kits have no inner frame and don't have the RG's armor details, which means far less parts to assemble. That also means it's less likely parts are gonna go flying off like on RG kits.

And no, HGUC Unicorn doesn't come with banshee parts. Bandai made the Unicorn mold first, then added Banshee-specific parts to the existing Unicorn mold.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
I'm trying to start painting my models now and just got through with my Neue Ziel. I'm having some real issues finding the right colors to go with the kits though. I don't have an airbrush so I'm currently constrained to purchasing cans of spray paint to paint plus a small cadre of gundam markers. Any advice for a place to get more specific colors of spray paints? Also, whats a good primer to use?

I've got Kshatriya and the RG Zaku and RX-78 I'd like to make look great so I'm really trying to get my painting better. I've just outgrown panel lining and building by itself I guess.

For fun, here is my Neue Ziel and a shot of some of my other guys.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Decided to simplify my job this time. Just a straight build with panel lining and some dry-transfers. Very happy with how he turned out though.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Shizuoka Hobby Show opens today. Confirmed new Gunpla thus far:

– MG Buster Gundam
– MG AGE-2
– HGUC Hambrabi
– HG AGE-3 Orbital
– HG Gundam Dark Hound
– HG G-EXES Jack Edge

edit: Bandai looks to be giving a big push to its MS accessories line with hand sets, verniers, effects parts and other things. Interesting, seeing as WAVE and Kotobukiya have owned that market for a good 20+ years.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 17, 2012

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

Shizuoka Hobby Show opens today. Confirmed new Gunpla thus far:
– HGUC Hambrabi

Jesus Bandai it took you long enough to release this one. Hyped as hell for it though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

HG age3 Orbital looks sweet as heck, first age design I love

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Jesus Bandai it took you long enough to release this one. Hyped as hell for it though.

I've wanted a Hammrabi for so long. I can finally give Yazan the tribute he deserves. Maybe I'll pile up broken AEUG mechs around him for authenticity.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
All they need now is the Byarlant and Baund doc to finish off the wierd Titans mech collection.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I don't have any photos of my own, but I picked the MG Unicorn Banshee last week. Had a loving nightmare getting the thing posed in Destroy mode, so I ended up picking up an action base with my Exia Ignition Mode today.

My only gripe with the Ignition Mode version is that it doesn't come with enough pieces to have the standard and repair parts constructed simultaneously, so hot-swapping them is impossible.

Pics of the finished article. Mine don't have the extra detailing, and I was a bit lazy with sanding the cut points on the Banshee. Kinda regret it now. :smith:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 18, 2012

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Morgenthau posted:

All they need now is the Byarlant and Baund doc to finish off the wierd Titans mech collection.

Isn't there at least going to be the Byarlant Custom from Unicron? I thought there'd been a limited edition run that was sold out not too long ago.

Also, I just rewatched that episode of Zeta last night. The Baund Doc has got to be up there in the top 5 silliest-looking UC mobile suits ever.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Isn't there at least going to be the Byarlant Custom from Unicron? I thought there'd been a limited edition run that was sold out not too long ago.

That was a Tamashii Nations exclusive Robot Damashii, not an HGUC kit unfortunately. I'd love to have one, though, but I couldn't justify the price.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Morgenthau posted:

I don't think there's a Barzam, is there?

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

Son Ryo posted:

I don't think there's a Barzam, is there?

I never really considered the Barzam a weird Titans mech though, nothing remarkable about it other than its honking big eye.

I'd wish they'd venture into the other Sirocoo designs. I'd love to see a Messala.

Also, I just rewatched that episode of Zeta last night. The Baund Doc has got to be up there in the top 5 silliest-looking UC mobile suits ever.

The Baund Doc holds a special place in my heart for being such butt-achingly weird. I'd like to think that being one of the last main baddies to appear, the designer had a field day on it culminating into this strange fox-horseshoe crab hybrid. How the gently caress it transforms just boggles the mind.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Morgenthau posted:

The Baund Doc holds a special place in my heart for being such butt-achingly weird. I'd like to think that being one of the last main baddies to appear, the designer had a field day on it culminating into this strange fox-horseshoe crab hybrid. How the gently caress it transforms just boggles the mind.

It kinda yoga-stretches into it's mobile armor mode. Like, it turns sideways so the big-arm faces forward and kind of folds up into the shell.

The thing is seriously weird looking, although I never really appreciated how much so until I played Dynasty Warriors Gundam, and actually got to see in a 3D model how disproportionally enormous the mobile-armor parts were compared to the rest of it.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Don't forget the holy grail of Weird Titans Bullshit You'll Never Get A Model Of:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
^^i'll admit, i have no idea what that MS is, but it reminds me of the Dra-C, Axis' crazy looking MS design that actually makes sense, space robots don't need legs.

Thank you thread for reminding me that the HGUC Asshimar exists.

P.S. My wallet hates you all.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Silentman0 posted:

Don't forget the holy grail of Weird Titans Bullshit You'll Never Get A Model Of:

That is, uh, one well-endowed mobile suit :stare:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Silentman0 posted:

Wait, that's a Zeta-era suit? That looks like something out of 00.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Nasgate posted:

^^i'll admit, i have no idea what that MS is, but it reminds me of the Dra-C, Axis' crazy looking MS design that actually makes sense, space robots don't need legs.

Thank you thread for reminding me that the HGUC Asshimar exists.

P.S. My wallet hates you all.

It's the Woundwort. I actually kind of like the design, especially the mobile armor form. It does seem ridiculously out of place, though, given how sleek its design is compared to the clunkiness of pretty much every other mobile suit at the time. Which is a problem with all the Advance of Zeta mobile suits.

jesus_rocket
Jan 11, 2006

OMG HAPPEE
I started watching gundam a few months ago and bought a MG Zaku 2.0 and RX-79(G). As well as a HG Geara Doga, Domtropen and Hygogg. Most of my painting experience has been with warhammer so painting all the little details was awesomely relaxing.
I wanna try building bigger models since I like how impressive they look on my shelf, and bigger stuff takes me longer to paint as I'm cheap so I just do it by hand.

Has anyone had any experience with the 1/100 Sazabi? I was thinking about picking up a 1/48 scale model, but they seem kinda plain.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Miijhal posted:

It's the Woundwort. I actually kind of like the design, especially the mobile armor form. It does seem ridiculously out of place, though, given how sleek its design is compared to the clunkiness of pretty much every other mobile suit at the time. Which is a problem with all the Advance of Zeta mobile suits.

It's only a problem if you hate super sleek prototypes out the rear end. :c00l:

I'd buy like a dozen Woundwarts if we ever get an actual HGUC or such of the drat thing because I loving love it.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

jesus_rocket posted:

I started watching gundam a few months ago and bought a MG Zaku 2.0 and RX-79(G). As well as a HG Geara Doga, Domtropen and Hygogg. Most of my painting experience has been with warhammer so painting all the little details was awesomely relaxing.
I wanna try building bigger models since I like how impressive they look on my shelf, and bigger stuff takes me longer to paint as I'm cheap so I just do it by hand.

Has anyone had any experience with the 1/100 Sazabi? I was thinking about picking up a 1/48 scale model, but they seem kinda plain.

While I only have the 1/144 Sazabi, I hear that the MG version has huge problems with limbs just popping off which is also present in the HGUC version I own.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Kitfox88 posted:

It's only a problem if you hate super sleek prototypes out the rear end. :c00l:

I'd buy like a dozen Woundwarts if we ever get an actual HGUC or such of the drat thing because I loving love it.

you can get it... as a garage kit remold made from resin.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Colon Semicolon posted:

you can get it... as a garage kit remold made from resin.

I can barely handle HGUC plastic without poo poo breaking everywhere, there's no way in hell I'm wasting cash on a resin garagekit.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

the mg sazabi has lovely proportions and some noticeable seam lines, get the hguc.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just sprayed the frames of my HGUC Gouf Custom, going to do it in the White Rose colours from the Gihren Assassination manga (that mangaka really likes doing Zeon suits in Gundam colours)

Sprayed white over grey Tamiya basecoat, so there's already a bit of lining marked out. Better than the two coats the white spray can says to do.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Wait, that's a Zeta-era suit? That looks like something out of 00.

Uh yeah. It looks different enough from the line art that I can only imagine that it used pieces of kits from 00.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Could still use some tidying up, but here's my Gouf Custom based on the White Rose

• Locked thread