Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I have never bought any stock and know very little about it, but when I heard FB was going IPO at $38, I was considering dropping a few hundred in and seeing how things panned out over the span of a few weeks/months. I stopped by here to get some recommendations for online brokers and to get some quick and dirty information, but from reading the last page, it seems like I couldn't even buy at 38 if I wanted to because all the stock is already bought (even though it doesn't go on sale until tomorrow)?

How insanely stupid would it be for a complete novice to sink cash into FB with no knowledge of markets at all?

Pretty stupid. For starters, you aren't likely to be abe to buy it for anything close to $38 and just as a general rule of thumb its a pretty horrible idea to invest in anything without doing your research. If you want to do it as a pure gamble, wait a few weeks for the IPO hype to wear off a little bit and buy in then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I have never bought any stock and know very little about it, but when I heard FB was going IPO at $38, I was considering dropping a few hundred in and seeing how things panned out over the span of a few weeks/months. I stopped by here to get some recommendations for online brokers and to get some quick and dirty information, but from reading the last page, it seems like I couldn't even buy at 38 if I wanted to because all the stock is already bought (even though it doesn't go on sale until tomorrow)?

How insanely stupid would it be for a complete novice to sink cash into FB with no knowledge of markets at all?
I would wait to see how the market treats the first quarterly report. The last one was not good with growth slowing and the third quarter is historically weak for tech stocks so patience may be the key here.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

evilwaldo posted:

I would wait to see how the market treats the first quarterly report. The last one was not good with growth slowing and the third quarter is historically weak for tech stocks so patience may be the key here.
I agree. The best time to buy FB is going to be after their first disappointing earnings report. The pressure will then be on Zuck to crank up the revenue and they will be forced to start capturing the low hanging fruit (and selling their souls to scum like Zynga) to stabilize the stock. The next report will exceed expectations (or maybe the quarter after that) so it will bounce back. (Though this might be a short term gain, since the revenue streams opened up might be unsustainable or damaging to the long term prospects of the company, so you probably want to exit some of your position at that point.)

Alternatively, when they kill display ads (inevitable, it is a ponzi scheme and Zuckerberg surely hates them and is waiting for an excuse to kill them) the stock will tank and it will be a good time to buy then as well, since Facebooks financial future (despite the clamor of the mob) has zero to do with display advertising on facebook.com.

nebby fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 18, 2012

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

Foma posted:

Ok in for 82 shares of TEF @ 12.5 lets see how this shakes out.

I almost got some when it was around $14, aka it's 52-week low. Now it just set a new 52-week low. Does this mean bargain shopping or just another step to go even lower?? :confused:

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
KSU dropped 6% yesterday and is down about 10% in the last month. I can't figure out why for the life of me why they dropped 3x more than the other railroads, but I'm probably going to buy more. Their earnings last quarter were really strong, their credit rating is expecting to improve shortly, manufacturing in the US has been making a comeback, and "near-sourcing" to mexico is starting to take off. KSU has extensive railroad infrastructure in Mexico for bringing goods to the US.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

FooGoo posted:

I almost got some when it was around $14, aka it's 52-week low. Now it just set a new 52-week low. Does this mean bargain shopping or just another step to go even lower?? :confused:

I thought 12.5 was bottom, still feel good about where I got in at.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

scavok posted:

KSU dropped 6% yesterday and is down about 10% in the last month. I can't figure out why for the life of me why they dropped 3x more than the other railroads, but I'm probably going to buy more. Their earnings last quarter were really strong, their credit rating is expecting to improve shortly, manufacturing in the US has been making a comeback, and "near-sourcing" to mexico is starting to take off. KSU has extensive railroad infrastructure in Mexico for bringing goods to the US.

All basic materials and transit are dying right now, there are mass liquidations so implied value still doesn't matter when people are selling stocks to withdraw money to put under the mattress. Even if it pops today the market may be due for a flush that's going to take another 10-20% off nearly everything, so factor in that whatever price you get it at it could lose that much in a 48 period for no reason related to that stock.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Everyone is selling to buy Facebook :)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Well, I guess I didn't miss out on getting the IPO price:

quote:

To purchase IPO shares through Ameritrade, “you must complete a personal and financial profile, and read and agree to the rules and regulations affecting new issue investing. Each account being registered must have a value of at least $250,000, or have completed 30 trades in the last 3 months. Accounts must also meet certain eligibility requirements with respect to investment objectives and financial status,” the firm says on its Web site.

I don't have $250k, and as this isn't fall 2008, I don't have 30 trades in the last 3 months. Although, had I known this, maybe it would have been worth buying and selling SPY's really quickly to amass 30 trades. Still, there's some additional verbiage that makes it sound like a small fry investor with $40k like myself wouldn't get in. :smith:

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ooh, this is going to be interesting. I'm not crazy enough to try to trade FB but it's going to be fun watching it.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Fidelity requires $500K

Sooo...wtf, nothing is updating, not Yahoo, not Google, not even the Scottrade live ticker in relation to FB.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Jesus gently caress I'm laughing at the corny rear end heavenly music they just played on CNBC for the opening bell. Zuckerburg is risen today.

idolmind86
Jun 13, 2003

It's better to burn out than to fade away.

It's even better to work out, numbnuts.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Fidelity requires $500K

Sooo...wtf, nothing is updating, not Yahoo, not Google, not even the Scottrade live ticker in relation to FB.

I may be wrong but I don't think IPOs necessarily start trading at the open bell on the first day. CNBC will usually do live shots of IPOs with a bunch of brokers standing there with their dicks in hands around some monitors.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It starts trading at 11.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I'm retarded and want to start putting a little money aside into stocks on a weekly basis. Is the information about brokers still valid? I'd like to sign up for E*Trade but am really only looking at investing like 50 to 100 a week.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Cheekio posted:

I'm retarded and want to start putting a little money aside into stocks on a weekly basis. Is the information about brokers still valid? I'd like to sign up for E*Trade but am really only looking at investing like 50 to 100 a week.

They charge $10 a trade. You are better off saving until you can make larger purchases all at once. Unless you are planning on having ROI of >20% to make up for your costs.

idolmind86
Jun 13, 2003

It's better to burn out than to fade away.

It's even better to work out, numbnuts.

Cheekio posted:

Save up the money. Most brokerages will have some sort of money market account you can put your money in before purchasing something. At 50-100 dollars a pop commissions will murder any profit you would hope to make. It's an admirable goal, and I'm not discouraging you, I would just save up a chunk of a couple grand before making a trade.

As far as brokerages are concerned, I love TD Ameritrade, hate Fidelity (simply for their lovely web interface) and hear a lot of people on here talking about how much they like etrade.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy

Cheekio posted:

You might want to look at sharebuilder, which is geared toward investing a set dollar amount periodically (monthly, weekly, whatever), and has smaller commissions for doing so. At best, you'll get $1 a trade that way if you're making enough trades in a month. At the most I think you'll pay $4.

With such a small amount per trade, it might make more sense to consolidate that into 200 - 400 per month instead of doing it weekly so you don't get killed on commissions. Disclaimer: I don't know much of anything and just lurk this thread. Listen to the other people!

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Whoa, in Germany FB is bidding at $74.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Cheekio there are plenty of low fee mutual funds that will expose you to stocks and allow fee free automatic weekly purchases. I would start with one of those. I like Schwab/Options Express as a broker.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Scottrade has like 15 no fee ETFs.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

These past 2 weeks have erased all the gains I've built up for the past year or so, and now my portfolio is entirely in the red for the first time :negative:
To be fair, my portfolio is mostly mutual funds, only a bit of it is in common stocks right now (mostly for the learning experience).
So given that I intend to use at least some of this cash in about 2 years, is this where I "stay the course" and refrain from selling at a loss just because I see red? Or should I get scared like everyone else by greece and liquidate? I mean I can afford to end 10% down in those 2 years, but maybe not 50%. Ending 50% down in 2 years with fairly diverse mutual funds is really unlikely, right?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Speaking of being scared by Greece, is there any way to profit off its collapse besides shorting the universe?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Buy into the dips. You average down, get better pricing on new stuff and will be doing better in the end.

I love increasing my 401k contributions when we hit bad stretches like in 2008/9.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SpaceMost posted:

Speaking of being scared by Greece, is there any way to profit off its collapse besides shorting the universe?

Put options, inverse ETFs, ammo, canned food and water purification kits.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/

Live feed of the IPO going public. Hasn't happened yet, moved from 11am East to 1105, and now we are 1112, and "still pending".

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
So 30 minutes late, are we waiting for Zuck to show up?

Edit: just traded - 42.30

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There it goes.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Etrade is getting hammered it appears.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
87 mill....wait, 88,....poo poo.......89 m...gently caress 90 million shares already.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
fading already? Anybody want to make a guess for end of Day? Just for Fun I say it settles below 45 but above 42.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
My bid is at $29. Doubt it will get there...

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Hate to bust in on the Facebook IPO, but I'm hoping for some quick advice from the stock gurus. :) I recently received an inheritance of a few shares of stock (Prudential) and I'd like to sell it relatively soon. What's the quickest and easiest way to do this without getting killed on commission? E-Trade? I've never sold any stock before so I have no idea what I'm doing.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Commission is X amount of money for Y lot of shares. Dont know what the one is at your broker, but Scottrade is $7 for any amount of shares. You sell 1 share of something, it's $7 comm. Sell 1000 shares of something, it is $7. Its a per trade situation.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Cheekio posted:

Look into Vanguard then. They have a small brokerage offering that will allow you to buy into their funds for $20/year (only 1 charge!) as well as into their various funds for no fee. That is by FAR the cheapest option you're going to have with such small amounts of money.

Keep in mind that if you're paying 7$ to invest 100, you need to see a return of 8% before you even break even, at $14 round-trip, you need to see 15% return just to break even.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Aaaand the Facebook balloon has run out of air. ZNGA is halted down 13%. If you shorted social media this morning, great job!

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Haha, you can see where all the limit orders were on FB as ALL the trade volume is on 40, 39, and 38

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

How does FB's incorporation into the Nasdaq index, SP 500, and Dow work? It's one of the biggest companies right? Will it eventually be added to most of the major indexes? Is it already in? How does this work.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

snowcrafta posted:

Well if you like the company and you're thinking that a new release that's going to do better than analysts think, gamble away. I just bought more of ATVI because of Diablo iii, and remember that they have a lot of titles coming out this year (d3, Starcraft 2 expansion, new WoW expansion, and Black Ops 2), and all those titles look exceptionally good for sales.

Huh? There's no guarantee they're releasing an expansion this year. The single-player was only half finished last June and they haven't even started a closed multiplayer beta yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
It'll probably be added to all those indexes relatively soon. Except the Dow, since the stocks there are not changed that often and need to represent the whole economy in 30 shares. Apple isn't a Dow component even though it currently has the highest market cap of any US stock.