Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Tiresias posted:

Like dropping acid in Disney World... or the first time he tried a cigarette?

Or like finally getting to do something that he's aspired to throughout the course of his professional life, but sure those work too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Seeing stuff like this in American Cinematographer cracks me up every time.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Life as a burgeoning cinematographer in a small town: Shoot a pair of dancers doing a piece set to the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, on a Epic, at 100fps, as the director recounts how this is going to Chile when it's done. Two days later, first AC on a pitch for a TV show. "Stipper Driver". About as classy as it sounds (and far funnier), 5ds everywhere.

Life is about variety I suppose.
Now to spend the next month scrounging for videography work so I can buy a tripod!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

XTimmy posted:

Life as a burgeoning cinematographer in a small town: Shoot a pair of dancers doing a piece set to the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, on a Epic, at 100fps, as the director recounts how this is going to Chile when it's done. Two days later, first AC on a pitch for a TV show. "Stipper Driver". About as classy as it sounds (and far funnier), 5ds everywhere.

Life is about variety I suppose.
Now to spend the next month scrounging for videography work so I can buy a tripod!

Livin' the dream :)

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

EnsGDT posted:

Livin' the dream :)

Your arm gets tired.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I'm in the market for a camcorder that can shoot in 24p and full, but be within 500-700. Cheaper would be great. Any suggestions?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Stumpus posted:

I'm in the market for a camcorder that can shoot in 24p and full, but be within 500-700. Cheaper would be great. Any suggestions?

May I ask why it needs to record in 24p? I would assume that a camcorder in this price range won't be used for cinema anyway.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Went to BlackMagic's Expo yesterday in Burbank. Amid their various devices they were mostly showcasing their new Camera and Davinci Resolve 9.

The camera is cool, for $3,000 it's well worth it for smaller scale videographers and owner operator DP's that are in the DSLR market already. but forget about it if you need it for anything more serious like any sort of multicamera shoot or anything where timecode sync, genlock and what-have-you is concerned.

The star of the show for me was Resolve 9. I started learning Resolve 8 and it's very confusing, (even for someone like me who knows Avid primarily) Resolve 9 is much more organized, streamlined and powerful. Really looking forward to that coming out.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
So would you recommend the Blackmagic Cinema Camera as the main camera for short independent one man video. I've been filming my sport, jiu jitsu, for documentary/training purposes and also some short narrative as well as just friends and family stuff using a Canon HV20 connected to a Blackmagic Hyperdeck and also a NEX-5N. I want to upgrade my gear and am considering the D800E and the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. Would the cinema camera be ok as a primary camera with the NEX as backup? Or would you go with a DSLR such as a Mark III or D800? As a side note, I'm going to attend their expo next week here in NYC.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 18, 2012

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Does it have an external battery yet?

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

FLX posted:

May I ask why it needs to record in 24p? I would assume that a camcorder in this price range won't be used for cinema anyway.

I want to be a YouTube star.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Stumpus posted:

Use your phone.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

TheBigBad posted:

Does it have an external battery yet?

Nope.

I personally think a BMC is overkill for shooting BJJ instructional videos. You're not going to be able to take advantage of all that dynamic range in a typical gym and shooting tournaments is going to take up gobs of hard drive space, even if you're not shooting raw.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly

Yuns posted:

So would you recommend the Blackmagic Cinema Camera as the main camera for short independent one man video. I've been filming my sport, jiu jitsu, for documentary/training purposes and also some short narrative as well as just friends and family stuff using a Canon HV20 connected to a Blackmagic Hyperdeck and also a NEX-5N. I want to upgrade my gear and am considering the D800E and the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. Would the cinema camera be ok as a primary camera with the NEX as backup? Or would you go with a DSLR such as a Mark III or D800? As a side note, I'm going to attend their expo next week here in NYC.

I would recommend it as a potential option for that particular price range and situation. Personally, if I bought a camera for myself (which I have no plan to) I would buy the yet-to-be-released Sony FS-700. It doesn't do RAW but it has other things I'd care about that are lacking in the BMCC like loving BATTERIES, internal ND's, more lens mount options, 240 fps overcrank at 1080p, more options in general, etc.

Not that it matters because even though I just left my Canon t2i on a train last month I have no reason to run out an replace it with another video camera because I don't have a need to own a camera currently or in the foreseeable future in my work. Just sayin'.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Stumpus posted:

Then get a camera that shoots 720p60, edit in 720p30 and use the remaining 30 fps for awesome slow motion shots of everything!

Also, use your phone.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

FLX posted:

Then get a camera that shoots 720p60, edit in 720p30 and use the remaining 30 fps for awesome slow motion shots of everything!

Also, use your phone.

Yeah, I don't really want to be a youtube star. I just can't justify buying a higher end camera to make films on at this point. My wife and I want a camcorder to shoot footage of our child when its born, and I would like to be able to use it for some cinematic stuff on my spare time until I can one day afford a better one.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Stumpus posted:

Yeah, I don't really want to be a youtube star. I just can't justify buying a higher end camera to make films on at this point. My wife and I want a camcorder to shoot footage of our child when its born, and I would like to be able to use it for some cinematic stuff on my spare time until I can one day afford a better one.

Okay, well, then get a camera that does 1080p30 AND 720p60 :p If you want to do cinematic-looking stuff you should invest in a camera with exchangeable lenses and lighting gear. It's not the frame rate that makes a cinematic look. The Canon EOS 550d/Rebel t2i costs around $600, I think and does decent video. If you want to invest more further down the road, you can just invest into a better body/sensor and/or better lenses.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if you want to shoot your kids and gently caress around with cinematic stuff on the side a DSLR would be great. I mean, you can take stills too and they're right in your budget range.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Yeah the T3i or T2i is the cheapest camera worth owning for video hobbyists and amateur film makers, it's essentially the same sensor as a 7D, plus it has this other handy feature where it takes great still pictures. D:

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

All that lives lives forever.

SquareDog posted:

Personally, if I bought a camera for myself (which I have no plan to) I would buy the yet-to-be-released Sony FS-700.

Agreed. I like a lot of the features, and the price is pretty nice. I'd probably opt for an onboard recording device. However, the E-mount lens is really killing my desire to pick one up for renting out.

I really admire Sony's ability to plan the full picture, as is really apparent with the F65, the SRMASTER decks, etc. However, they fail to follow through on the engineering to maintain usability in a variety of situations, almost to the point where they let something huge slip by (ENORMOUS power draw on the F65) in favor of a full picture (no need to go finding a thousand 3rd part accessories to "make it work", like RED).

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

1st AD posted:

Nope.

I personally think a BMC is overkill for shooting BJJ instructional videos. You're not going to be able to take advantage of all that dynamic range in a typical gym and shooting tournaments is going to take up gobs of hard drive space, even if you're not shooting raw.
The cinema camera 12 bit is probably overkill. However, the stuff I am doing is quite a bit different from the standard youtube instructional. It's going to hopefully eventually be a long half documentary and half instructional and I am doing a lot of post work on it including a lot of composited motion graphics, color grading, and retiming so more color space would be great. It's annoying when I get 8 bit 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 avchd stuff that looks good as shot but blows up in post. Oddly enough one of my biggest challenges is that the strong color of the mats dominates the footage so I've been working on that.

Oh great now I'm lusting after the FS700 and its framerates and resolution. But that probably unrealistic for me.

EDIT: unfortunately my ambition far outstrips my ability and knowledge.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 19, 2012

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
The BMCC will record various levels of ProRes and DNxHD and can apply film-like curves to them so you can get that extra lattidue without breaking the bank on camera price or memory, sounds to me like it might be a good fit for you. RAW option is nice too. I think the FS-700 might be too costly for what you're doing.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

FLX posted:

Okay, well, then get a camera that does 1080p30 AND 720p60 :p If you want to do cinematic-looking stuff you should invest in a camera with exchangeable lenses and lighting gear. It's not the frame rate that makes a cinematic look. The Canon EOS 550d/Rebel t2i costs around $600, I think and does decent video. If you want to invest more further down the road, you can just invest into a better body/sensor and/or better lenses.

Ahh, that's a good idea. I'll look into that. Thanks all!

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

So I was chatting with a friend who is way way more into cameras. He mentioned casually that there was some issue with the BMCC and the optical distance between the lens mount and the sensor. Can anyone explain this for us director types?

Strockrow
Jan 30, 2005
Greatest of all the Rows!
So I want to buy some lights and I was hoping some of you might be able to help me out. I know the first thing is how much money I am willing to spend. My budget however is a little unsure, as I am not certain about the utility of a lot of the different lights that I have come across (I realistically cannot spend more than 1500 to 2000 and I would really prefer not to have to go there). I will mostly be lighting indoor scenes on a standard house power grid. That means I can't have anything too large unless I want to cause an electrical fire. It also means HMI's are out the window. Originally I liked the idea of fluorescents but I know now that they produce soft light exclusively, and occasionally I would like to bust out some high contrast lighting. LED's are still in their infancy as a technology and are too expensive for me to take advantage of. All I need are the basics covered, anywhere from three to five lights. The more I learn about lights however the more unsure I become. There is such a range of them, and my lack of time on a film set means I am not intimately aware of what they can do. I have considered everything from approaching it with a DIY attitude (with a healthy does of practicals) to investing in an array Arri or Dedolight fresnels. I realize there is no perfect light kit, nor any perfect combo of lights. No amount of money will make up for my obvious lack of experience. There is something to be said though for investing in equipment and planning for the future. As such I was wondering if you folks had any recommendations for an ambitious beginner like myself.

Sorry for the wall of text, and thank you enormously.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Not sure what your friend meant. But the BMCC uses a Canon EF mount so that people can use readily available Canon glass. I assume this is also to help pick up former 5d users. However this limits the BMCC from using glass that needs a shorter sensor to lens distance. This keeps people from using cheap micro 4/3 and other lenses which would theoretically work well given the sensor size. It is obvious that the camera could have been made with a shorter sensor to lens distance given how much the EF mount juts out of the body. So some people who wanted to use cheap smaller sensor lenses are annoyed. But for most people it will be a non issue. I assume this may have been what your friend meant.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Strockrow posted:

Light stuff

Id check out Lowel Omni kits. They are low wattage and cheap. Its the first light kits I ever used.

Make sure to put money aside for things to shape/color the lights with. Look into getting color temperature gels(CTB/CTO) and scrims, which may come with the kit you get. Also flags, nets and bounce boards are pretty important.

There is a whole range of tools besides the actual lights that will help you control your lighting, so make sure to look into that.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Seconding the Lowel Omnis, but I would also get a Tota or two (with the side flags) - they're a bit more powerful than the Omnis and throw light over a wider area.

Speaking of modifiers, I lost my gel pack at my last gig (or someone stole them...) and was wondering if there was something comparable to the Lee Master Location Pack? Aside from the CTB/CTO modifiers I rarely used any of the weird color gels, and whenever I needed to use something like green I would never have enough (that pack only gives you a full and a 1/2 green) to do what I wanted. Am I better off just getting smaller packs and building my collection as needed?

Yuns posted:

Not sure what your friend meant. But the BMCC uses a Canon EF mount so that people can use readily available Canon glass. I assume this is also to help pick up former 5d users. However this limits the BMCC from using glass that needs a shorter sensor to lens distance. This keeps people from using cheap micro 4/3 and other lenses which would theoretically work well given the sensor size. It is obvious that the camera could have been made with a shorter sensor to lens distance given how much the EF mount juts out of the body. So some people who wanted to use cheap smaller sensor lenses are annoyed. But for most people it will be a non issue. I assume this may have been what your friend meant.

All things considered, Blackmagic made a bunch of smart compromises considering they didn't have the chance to design their own sensor or lens system. Micro 4/3 has what...a dozen lenses to choose from? Compared to probably hundreds available for EF mount when you factor in 3rd party options.

And if you really wanted an inexpensive option for lenses, just get an m42 adapter and get super cheapo screwmount lenses. I got a set of 2.8 primes for $100.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Yuns posted:

This is exactly what he was talking about. Thank you.

1st AD posted:

All things considered, Blackmagic made a bunch of smart compromises considering they didn't have the chance to design their own sensor or lens system. Micro 4/3 has what...a dozen lenses to choose from? Compared to probably hundreds available for EF mount when you factor in 3rd party options.

And if you really wanted an inexpensive option for lenses, just get an m42 adapter and get super cheapo screwmount lenses. I got a set of 2.8 primes for $100.

I think so as well. It seems almost ideal for an auteur situation where go straight from the shoot into post without a mess or a complicated workflow. The price point seems perfect. If not for the internal battery I would be in love, but still drooling for the Sony FS700 except I probably hire a DP at that point anyway.

TheBigBad fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 19, 2012

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I caved and preordered a Nikon D800E but am already having buyer's remorse and am thinking about switching the preorder to a BMCC. I just wish I knew the resolution and ISO performance on the BMCC.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Resolution is 2.5k, and I think the BMCC maxes out at 1600 ISO (though you can push it further if you shoot RAW)

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I actually meant true line resolving against a test pattern rather than the nominal pixel resolution. The test images from the preproduction alpha cameras just seems soft except for the headshot sample.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I ended up switching my preorder to the BMCC. At least I have until the fall to cancel.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Quick update from sunny Cannes. Having a blast here, I'd never been to Cannes before...it's an absolute madhouse! Especially when you're filming there! It's like Vegas only with more expensive cars and less casinos, I love it. So far I've had the privilege of working with people like Polanski, James Woods, Jessica Chastain, Robert DeNiro, Scorsese and a bunch of others who all have awesome cameos. And Thursday I get to chill with Bertolucci :). That's not even mentioning all the parties we get to shoot at, from Calvin Klein to Vanity Fair. Pretty cool! Right now I am definitely loving my job, though it is a very tough shoot and I am not yet sold on the C300 they are making me use. We've been having some very odd internal flaring issues with them that are bugging the hell out of me. And as part of the deal production made with Canon, I am expected to do a piece on camera as DP to say how awesome I think the camera is! Of all the things we're doing here, that makes me the most nervous :-(

Anyway, have some pictures!! Excuse me, I have to go get back to the sun now :)

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Steadiman posted:

Quick update from sunny Cannes. Having a blast here, I'd never been to Cannes before...it's an absolute madhouse! Especially when you're filming there! It's like Vegas only with more expensive cars and less casinos, I love it. So far I've had the privilege of working with people like Polanski, James Woods, Jessica Chastain, Robert DeNiro, Scorsese and a bunch of others who all have awesome cameos. And Thursday I get to chill with Bertolucci :). That's not even mentioning all the parties we get to shoot at, from Calvin Klein to Vanity Fair. Pretty cool! Right now I am definitely loving my job, though it is a very tough shoot and I am not yet sold on the C300 they are making me use. We've been having some very odd internal flaring issues with them that are bugging the hell out of me. And as part of the deal production made with Canon, I am expected to do a piece on camera as DP to say how awesome I think the camera is! Of all the things we're doing here, that makes me the most nervous :-(

Anyway, have some pictures!! Excuse me, I have to go get back to the sun now :)

That looks like a blast! I wish I were on that set. I just had a shoot where we rented a C300, but I didn't get to play with it much since I was gaffing.

In a tangentially related question, are there photos of you in the Steadicam Operator's Handbook? I was reading it (again) on the plane back from a shoot, so it's fresh in my head and I swear you're in there (assuming that it's you operating in the pictures you posted).

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

All that lives lives forever.

CaptainViolence posted:

I was reading it (again) on the plane back from a shoot, so it's fresh in my head and I swear you're in there (assuming that it's you operating in the pictures you posted).

He's the sexy beast on the cover.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Tiresias posted:

He's the sexy beast on the cover.

whaaaaaaaat

My mind is blown.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

There was only one ladder. This took way longer then it needed to rig/power.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 24, 2012

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

CaptainViolence posted:

whaaaaaaaat

My mind is blown.
Yes I am indeed on the cover and all over that drat book :-). Was a lot of fun to be a part of! Some really old pictures in there too. It's a great read, not only for budding Steadicam operators but it also gives some wonderful insight into why we move the camera.

Also, update on our shoot. We had some awesome drama here that was all captured on camera (google "Alec Baldwin Harvey Weinstein" to find out what happened) that got the cameras kicked out of the AMFAR party the other day, and I found some neat videos of us working hard!

This was a tv show that is apparently very big in France, we did a scene there while Alec was getting interviewed and I was not expecting to be featured this much:
http://www.canalplus.fr/c-cinema/c-festival-de-cannes/pid4392-le-grand-journal-de-cannes.html?vid=652386

And this I found on Youtube which should give you a good idea of the insanity that surrounds us whenever we go outside to shoot, and this is still relatively calm compared to when we go outside on the boulevard! My AC almost got arrested at one point outside when the cops didn't realize she was with us and I've "accidentally" punched more photographers in the stomach than ever before!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8tUBqIrVcY

EDIT: Also, unrelated, the title track to the other movie I just DP'd. A lot of fun to do, we shot the song at a bunch of our filming locations and the whole crew is in the video too :). I am in it at the very end, operating the remote head. Let's see if you can spot me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvHlnL_8Lx4

Steadiman fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

CaptainViolence posted:

Steadicam Operator's Handbook

Why isn't there a Kindle Edition of this book?! :argh: I've got some traveling coming up, where I might need a break from my planned digital cinema and color grading reading.