Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have a single roller mill that has been very fussy to use. I had originally removed the metal bar going across the base of the hopper when I was trying to mill some homemade malted corn; the gap was too small. Now I find I jam up the mill if I throw a reasonable amount of grain in the hopper at once. It all just rushes down into the rollers and gets stuck. I can appreciate why that bar was originally there. I can't seem to find where I put the thing anymore, so I'm trying to figure out what I could do with it. I found that a bolt from Home Depot was too small. Any ideas how I could get this working again?

Too small in what way? I'm not sure how the old bar was mounted, but it seems like it would be easy to rig something up with a length of allthread and some nuts and washers. If it's diameter that's the problem, maybe also spin some nuts into the section of allthread that crosses the hopper.

Or heck, once you have allthread in there, you could make a little baffle out of metal flashing easily enough if you thought that would smooth out the flow of grain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

:ohdear: 12 days into bottle conditioning and our Hefeweizen tastes like Sweet Tarts. After an infected batch last fall, we did everything short of setting up a clean room and wearing moon suits to keep it clean, this will probably clear up, right?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I went through my fridge and found an extra 10 oz. of Amarillo I forgot that I bought; ironically if memory serves, I bought it because I forgot that I had bought even more of it before that for a Pale Ale that a lot of friends seemed to really enjoy (probably because it was relatively boring by my tastes). I guess I'm going to be making a shitload of beer with Amarillo and Citra, because I have a shitload of both.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Angry Grimace posted:

I went through my fridge and found an extra 10 oz. of Amarillo I forgot that I bought; ironically if memory serves, I bought it because I forgot that I had bought even more of it before that for a Pale Ale that a lot of friends seemed to really enjoy (probably because it was relatively boring by my tastes). I guess I'm going to be making a shitload of beer with Amarillo and Citra, because I have a shitload of both.

Only good things can happen. I love those hops and they've long sold out from a reasonable price.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I don't know how or why, but through some crazy combination of washers I finally have a MLT that doesn't leak! I'll be celebrating Saturday by brewing Saq's new world quad all grain with a starter of 3787 on my new stirplate :)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cointelprofessional posted:

Only good things can happen. I love those hops and they've long sold out from a reasonable price.
I've got 10+ oz. of Simcoe, too. My LHBS seems to have a lot of that right now though, but it was pretty rare for a while. I never had a recipe to make with it, I just picked it up because I figured I would use it and it was hard to get at the time. I didn't end up brewing some of the beers I bought a lot of those hops for (plus I bought a lot at once for no apparent reason), so I'm going to be brewing double time and giving a lot of beer to my family members very soon.

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
In life I have encountered much, but nothing as profound as the statement "all we ever do is do stuff."

Angry Grimace posted:

US-05, WLP001 and Wy1056 are all the same strain, right? Most recipes I've made so far call for either 001 or 1056, and I've pretty much routinely resorted to subbing US05 for the ease of use.

All supposedly the same strain, "Chico". You may get varying answers depending on who you ask, but its been my experience they will all three produce very similar beers.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Jo3sh posted:

Too small in what way? I'm not sure how the old bar was mounted, but it seems like it would be easy to rig something up with a length of allthread and some nuts and washers. If it's diameter that's the problem, maybe also spin some nuts into the section of allthread that crosses the hopper.

Or heck, once you have allthread in there, you could make a little baffle out of metal flashing easily enough if you thought that would smooth out the flow of grain.
It was too small in that the corn kernels I had malted were huge. So they couldn't clear the gap. I'll have to mess around with allthread. I started thinking now about those long washers. I don't think the home improvement big box stores carry them :(

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Today I did two extract-based beers: a lambic where I steeped a pound of unmalted wheat and maybe two oz of Golden Promise to loosen things up, and another batch of my house pale ale with all Willamette hops. I think Willamette is severely underrated and am so excited to have it shine. Based on the wort I think it's better than my Amarillo and Simcoe versions.

Maverix0r
Apr 16, 2005

Legend of the West
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/19/us-nato-summit-arrests-idUSBRE84I09K20120519

quote:

Three anti-NATO protesters arrested in a late-night raid days before start of the 60-nation summit have been charged with terrorism for possession of explosive devices, police and their attorney said on Saturday.

But supporters of the three men arrested Wednesday evening at a residence in the Bridgeport neighborhood of Chicago disputed the charges and said the police had confused beer-making equipment with explosives.

No-knock warrantless raid on someone's home after they had visited the homebrew store.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Who here has lambic experience? I have a 5 gallon carboy that has just been sitting empty for like a year. I was thinking I could do a lambic, but I wasn't sure how much krausen would be produced, and whether I'd need to scale back to like, a 4 gallon batch since it's a smaller carboy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Tried to set up a chest freezer with a A419 to control the temps but instead of stopping at the 65 I set it at to test, it just went immediately to like 50 degrees.

I can't figure out what the deal is.

I just set it to:

SP- 65 F
dIF- 3
ASd- 6
OFS- 0
SF- 1

And then plugged it in. It turned on and started cooling down from about 73, but then when I came back in the room, the probe said 50 F and it's pretty cold in there. I might totally not understand how this thing is supposed to work, though.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 19, 2012

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Angry Grimace posted:

Tried to set up a chest freezer with a A419 to control the temps but instead of stopping at the 65 I set it at to test, it just went immediately to like 50 degrees.

I can't figure out what the deal is.

I just set it to:

SP- 65 F
dIF- 3
ASd- 6
OFS- 0
SF- 1

And then plugged it in. It turned on and started cooling down from about 73, but then when I came back in the room, the probe said 50 F and it's pretty cold in there. I might totally not understand how this thing is supposed to work, though.
I can't comment too much on the controller settings beside the differential but thermostat probes are generally big slow response thermistors and chest freezer coils have no other setting than really freakin cold so when measuring bulk air you can get some really anomolous readings before everything settles out.

Since you are testing it we are talking bulk air right? When you first get started and you don't have a load in there, it will tend to cycle on and off a lot at the beginning because the only way the bulk air is equilibriating is painfully slow convection currents.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Maverix0r posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/19/us-nato-summit-arrests-idUSBRE84I09K20120519

No-knock warrantless raid on someone's home after they had visited the homebrew store.

To be fair, Wyeast 3787 without a blowoff tube is basically an IED.

zedprime posted:

Since you are testing it we are talking bulk air right? When you first get started and you don't have a load in there, it will tend to cycle on and off a lot at the beginning because the only way the bulk air is equilibriating is painfully slow convection currents.

Good point. If the freezer's basically empty, try filling a big jar or small bucket with water and putting the probe in that, you'll get some more thermal mass and the temperature won't be so all over the place.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 19, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Who here has lambic experience? I have a 5 gallon carboy that has just been sitting empty for like a year. I was thinking I could do a lambic, but I wasn't sure how much krausen would be produced, and whether I'd need to scale back to like, a 4 gallon batch since it's a smaller carboy.
A lot of that is going to come down to how much wheat you use and the temperature. If you're going a bit warm and have a lot of unmalted wheat then it'll ooze everywhere. I have been controlling the temperature on my primary fermentation and haven't had problems, despite using something like an 80/20 unmalted wheat/malt ratio.

If you're aiming for a lambic, you can take it easy on the whole airlock thing though. If you have a clean fermenting area, you can even go without an airlock in normal circumstances . . . except when it's fruit fly season and you don't keep an eye on it. But since you're doing a lambic, you're already infecting it and fruit flies are a common vector for everything lambic-like.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Docjowles posted:

Good point. If the freezer's basically empty, try filling a big jar or small bucket with water and putting the probe in that, you'll get some more thermal mass and the temperature won't be so all over the place.
This is a good way to test basic functionality, but just to note at the 3 degree differential you can keep the moderating water in your final control solution which I've still heard is pretty popular with that differential, but I've also had really good results just using it to control the bulk air temperature. Once you have an actual load in there it works fine, even if you might still see some anomalous 50 something readings right after the compressor kicks off.

Or go all out, set your differential to 1, and insulate the probe next to the fermentation vessel. Or just go whole hog with a thermowell.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

zedprime posted:

This is a good way to test basic functionality, but just to note at the 3 degree differential you can keep the moderating water in your final control solution which I've still heard is pretty popular with that differential, but I've also had really good results just using it to control the bulk air temperature. Once you have an actual load in there it works fine, even if you might still see some anomalous 50 something readings right after the compressor kicks off.

Or go all out, set your differential to 1, and insulate the probe next to the fermentation vessel. Or just go whole hog with a thermowell.

It turned out that it was saying 50 because the probe was hanging against the side the of the freezer as I closed it. I put a few bottles I've been holding onto and my empty kegging stuff in there and just have it measuring the air in the middle now. It seems a little better, but I'm going to give it a few hours to settle.

Edit: It seems to be working right now; it's just floating around the mid point of the freezer and the compressor is coming on every ~45 min or so. I'm heating up water and I'm suddenly realizing my pot is big enough to fit perfectly over two burners. I doubt it can bring the whole thing to a boil, but it would be awesome if it could.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 20, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Well, we better hope the 5 second rule applies to grain.

I was pouring my grain in, when my foot slipped and I fell backwards, dropping about two pounds of my grain bill on the floor. I didn't really know what to do, so I got a bowl, picked up the stuff that was piled up on the floor and put it in anyways. Hit the mash temp dead on, though.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Haha. Whatever, it's all getting boiled. And to paraphrase another poster (which I really wish I'd saved) "I'm creating poison to drink for fun" ;)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Haha. Whatever, it's all getting boiled. And to paraphrase another poster (which I really wish I'd saved) "I'm creating poison to drink for fun" ;)

That's pretty much what I figured. And any weird poo poo on the ground's likely going to get filtered out in the sparge anyways, I imagine.

Something weird was that I had to do a last second subtraction on my bittering addition since the CTZ hops I had on hand were 17% AA, which is way higher than I've ever seen in that cultivar, I was figuring like 13% when I worked out the recipe.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Docjowles posted:

To be fair, Wyeast 3787 without a blowoff tube is basically an IED.

I found that out the hard way this morning. No explosion luckily. Yet.

Edit: Rigged up a blowoff tube. The blowoff water is shaking so much I'm surprised there *wasn't* an explosion.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 20, 2012

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I was at a farmers market with a flour stall, on a trip up in Washington State, where all they grow is grain. They were selling small bags marked "grain for beer brewing." According to the person there, it's a mix of red and white wheat. I don't know if it's malted or unmalted. Is there a way to tell by looking at it?

And outside of wheat beers, what's the effect of adding a small amount of wheat to, say, a red or brown ale?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

If they are growers and millers, I would bet it's unmalted. It's probably also not gelatinized. One way to use it would be to make a porridge out of it by simmering it separately and adding it to your mash. In a true ceral mash, the amounts added are calculated to raise the temperature to the next rest, but given the small amount, you might not see much rise.

You might get some wheat character out of a beer made this way, but again given the small amount, you might not notice it. If you added the flour to the tun without gelatinizing it, you might also get some haze in your beer.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

For some reason, I got it in mind I would make a nice sessionable amber ale, so then I brewed Jamil's amber from Brewing Classic Styles that's like seven percent ABV. :v: I cut back on the base malt by a couple pounds, but it still came out as 1.061, which isn't exactly what I'd call "sessionable." I've got pretty much no clue what it's going to come out like since I did a lot of hop substitutions.

Now I'm about to go back out and brew up an Imperial Stout. It's like 80 degrees out. :downs:

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

But it will be excellent in October/November. This is actually a really great time to brew some big beer.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Jo3sh posted:

But it will be excellent in October/November. This is actually a really great time to brew some big beer.

My wife is rather insistent that I give it some hokey Eclipse-themed name too.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Jo3sh posted:

This is my biggest issue with brewing. Poor planning and a tendency to brew what I want to drink right this very moment. I brew a lot of huge beers in December-February.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Hypnolobster posted:

This is my biggest issue with brewing. Poor planning and a tendency to brew what I want to drink right this very moment. I brew a lot of huge beers in December-February.

Haha. I can relate to that. Every so often I get a bug up my butt to have a nice lager... *3 months later*

I should get my German pilsner going again, that beer owned. Thanks for the reminder.

vvv Nice. I found putting a little rag under the bucket or jar goes a long way toward quieting it down.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Speaking of my wife, she just came out and said, "you need to do something about your new freezer. It's clearly broken because it's making this weird sound every few seconds." So I go inside and look, and it's the blowoff tube gassing out into the bucket. :lol:

I went to this brewing class with Yuseff Cherney, the head brewer at Ballast Point yesterday and he was telling me he once got an offer to buy 30,000 Corny kegs for $5 a piece. He turned it down because he didn't have anywhere to physically store 30,000 Corny Kegs.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I have a 25$ gift card to Northern Brewer burning a hole in my virtual wallet. I am considering this kit, http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-PetiteSaison.pdf .

I've never done all grain and I think I have what could be considered a decent BIAB set up.
-10 gallon megapot
-5 gallon auxiliary pot
-5 gallon paint strainer nylon mesh bags

Is 7 lbs of grain too much for BIAB? I'd really like to try my hand at all grain and I love saison during this time of year.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

"you need to do something about your new freezer. It's clearly broken because it's making this weird sound every few seconds."

Clearly Broken Imperial Stout.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lazerwolf posted:

I have a 25$ gift card to Northern Brewer burning a hole in my virtual wallet. I am considering this kit, http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-PetiteSaison.pdf .

I've never done all grain and I think I have what could be considered a decent BIAB set up.
-10 gallon megapot
-5 gallon auxiliary pot
-5 gallon paint strainer nylon mesh bags

Is 7 lbs of grain too much for BIAB? I'd really like to try my hand at all grain and I love saison during this time of year.

I've stuck 15+ lbs of grain in a five gallon strainer bag. 7 lbs will be easy.

Now I use a $4 voile curtain from wal mart that I simply cut down to a square big enough to line my 20 gal pot with and hold it with office clips.

My last session was about a month ago, and I did a 21 lb grist pale ale BIAB style. I think the mash temperatures are more accurate with bigger batches as the mass helps hold the temp since we have no insulation. I hit 153* and it held steady for 70 minutes.

The saison recipe looks pretty cool too. 3711 is fun.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I was taking a gravity reading to check my efficiency on that imperial stout pre-boil and I came up with 1.040. I was really confused what I had done wrong until I remembered that I drew that sample directly from the final runnings of the mash, i.e. I put the hydrometer sampler up to the valve and just filled it up. (Actually, that seems like a lot of sugar still in the tun; I rather wonder if I could have made another small beer out of that)

Anyways, just finished up a bit ago and I was looking for a OG of 1.082 and I got just around 1.083 or 84 (Beersmith suggested I should be looking for 1.085, but whatever, close enough). I was relatively pleased with that given that I just winged the sparge by putting in semi-random amounts of hot water.

Owithey
Aug 16, 2009

tesilential posted:

The saison recipe looks pretty cool too. 3711 is fun.

I've just finished a saison using 3711. It's a complete beast. With a starting OG of 1.085 it fermented down to 1.004 within a week. It also responds well to high temperatures so you can pretty much keep it in the house without worrying. The saison I made was also suprisingly silky and easy to drink for being a 10% beer.

I used the recipe from 'Extreme Brewing' and beefed up the candi sugar and LME a bit.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Docjowles posted:

Haha. I can relate to that. Every so often I get a bug up my butt to have a nice lager... *3 months later*

I should get my German pilsner going again, that beer owned. Thanks for the reminder.

vvv Nice. I found putting a little rag under the bucket or jar goes a long way toward quieting it down.

This is pretty dang helpful: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing-calendar/

If you live in the googleverse you can just add it in to yours (+google on the bottom right).

Blinky Blinkerson
May 9, 2006
Does anyone have a recipe or know of a kit that's similar to "McNeill's Extra Special Bitter Ale" ? This is my first time brewing in a couple of years, so an easy recipe would rock.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Weird question: I just went to check on my stout and amber, and holy poo poo was the bottom of my freezer filled with CO2. Like I stuck my head down there to check the thermo-strip and I got a strong, painful burning just by breathing in. Is this bad and/or should I try to move that out somehow?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

Weird question: I just went to check on my stout and amber, and holy poo poo was the bottom of my freezer filled with CO2. Like I stuck my head down there to check the thermo-strip and I got a strong, painful burning just by breathing in. Is this bad and/or should I try to move that out somehow?

Co2 is heavier than regular air, so I'm not that surprised.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Congratulations on your new murder-pit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

crazyfish posted:

Co2 is heavier than regular air, so I'm not that surprised.

Now that I think about it, it totally makes sense. I just don't know if having that in there is bad for the freezer or whatever. I rather assume if it built up enough if would just escape through the lid-seal though. But who knows.