Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LesterGroans posted:

Also an Iron Man movie was a much bigger risk than a new Spider-Man, because before 2008 who gave a poo poo about Iron Man?

Ghostface Killah :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Ghostface owns.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sambafish posted:

Well, rumor has it that the budget, which was intially reported to be a very modest $80 million, has ballooned to over $200 million. This is just a might be part of the reason why Sony is worried about whether it will be profitable for them. For comparison, the Raimi trilogy had a combined budget of $597 million and grossed almost 2.5 billion worldwide.

Didn't something similar happen to X-Men: First Class?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

Also an Iron Man movie was a much bigger risk than a new Spider-Man, because before 2008 who gave a poo poo about Iron Man?

Also, Robert Downey Jr. was still considered a 'risk'.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

gmq posted:

Also, Robert Downey Jr. was still considered a 'risk'.

Not really, RDJ was well into his comeback. Zodiac was the previous year, for example.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not really, RDJ was well into his comeback. Zodiac was the previous year, for example.

Even then he wasn't "hero" material and they lampshade this in Iron Man's script. Up to 2007there really hadn't been a successful straight-faced superhero film starring a wisecracking douchebag. The closest you ever had was angst-grizzle Hugh Jackman, and even then that's the adonis Hugh Jackman. RDJ is relatively short and ugly compared to the "typical" superhero build and visibly flawed both in character and in his personal history, thus he was considered a huge risk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Favreau had to beg to get Downey into the film. He'd made a few films but everyone still thought he was going to show up to the set naked.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RDjr basically took his role from Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang (which you all need to loving see RIGHT NOW if you haven't already) and made it PG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHkSDJmSgqo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vintersorg posted:

RDjr basically took his role from Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang (which you all need to loving see RIGHT NOW if you haven't already) and made it PG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHkSDJmSgqo

"Doesn't that suck I just hit you for no reason."

And people wonder why I've been verbally fellating RDJ for the last 20 years.

varlet
Feb 10, 2010

I would use every crayon in my box

Rhyno posted:

"Doesn't that suck I just hit you for no reason."

And people wonder why I've been verbally fellating RDJ for the last 20 years.

"I put in one bullet, didn't I? There's like, an 8% chance!" :3:

I will continue to long for RDJ and Andrew Garfield having a smartass-off until I get it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mind the walrus posted:

RDJ is relatively short and ugly

I will fight you, RDJ is dreamy :allears:

Recently finally watched Sherlock Holmes 2 and kind of surprised at how polarizing it seems to be. I can see the flaws people assign to it, but I think for the most part they're greatly exaggerated and it still holds up as a good flick, even if it doesn't have the pure concentrated level of awesome the first one did. Really wish he'd do the third one of that before Iron Man 3, but eh.

And speaking of X-Men:First Class, watched that earlier today and was very pleasantly surprised. But then again I had somehow not realized Vauhgn had done Stardust, which is easily one of my favorite movies ever.

And back to Iron Man, are Jeff Bridges and Gwynyth Paltrow really that cheap?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

precision posted:

I will fight you, RDJ is dreamy :allears:

Compared to Christian Bale, Brandon Routh, Hugh Jackman, and even Toby-goddamn-Maguire, RDJ isn't a square-jawed 6'+ hunk of muscle and thus not what "most people" think of when they think of a superhero.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so it was a good thing they made him Iron Man is what you're saying :haw:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't know of many people who would disagree, myself included.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Australian trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32nyLBiAU1w

New footage here, including what seems to be a reference to the comic book bridge scene. Also, good lord is Parker strong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Australian trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32nyLBiAU1w

New footage here, including what seems to be a reference to the comic book bridge scene. Also, good lord is Parker strong.

Listen bud, he's got radioactive blood.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
New clip of Spidey being chased.

http://movies.yahoo.com/video/ymovies-6393699/the-amazing-spider-man-clip-police-chase-29575359.html

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'll be honest, I had a pretty big smile on my face watching that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Nice 'Midnight Cowboy' shout out. "Wathcout! I'm swingin' here!!"

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Deadpool posted:

I'll be honest, I had a pretty big smile on my face watching that.

That was pretty great. The score really adds to it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, I thought the score there was pretty good too.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.

poo poo... I can't play this at work. Anyone got a youtube version of it?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, I thought the score there was pretty good too.

I am really looking forward to this movie. There seems to be creative display of his powers, how the movie is shot, the thought and effort that seems to have went into this seems really in depth. It looks really beautiful too.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Nice 'Midnight Cowboy' shout out. "Wathcout! I'm swingin' here!!"

I have been told that this less Midnight Cowboy and more Peter being a New York native.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Looking for this video on youtube showed me this clip. It's a featurette on the Lizard from the Avengers Alliance facebook game and you can hear him speak. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7UMxq49sTw

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

i like tacos posted:

Looking for this video on youtube showed me this clip. It's a featurette on the Lizard from the Avengers Alliance facebook game and you can hear him speak. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7UMxq49sTw

hot drat this movie just gets better and better :dance: still not sure about the face though. It's like Gollum but on a xenomorph's body or something, really weird and it will probably be loving creepy as poo poo when we see it on screen, I hope

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here a new clip of Peter owning some jocks at basketball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEmFLN65_Cs

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well that was surprisingly enjoyable. Garfield is completely selling me on his Peter Parker.

Still not liking that Flash Thompson keeps on getting relegated to the "random jock Parker fucks with when he's still getting used to his power" slot instead of being a character in his own right, but whatever films have to be ultra-economic about that sort-of thing and Flash is pretty superfluous to most Spider-man plots.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Flash is a bit of a tightrope walk if you want him around for any length of time. In the beginning him and Peter were enemies in that 'oh, boys will be boys' kind of way but nowadays he (and his cronies/the other students) would be understood as capital-B bullying and lots of work would need to be put in to mend that relationship and have them be friends in some sequel. On the other hand, you could have Flash lay off and be more of a Stiffler character but then if Flash represents the worst of high school then Peter really shouldn't be an ostracized loner.

So unless you leave him out or have him be a one-and-done petty adversary early on (like both movies have seemingly done) I'd say Flash is better suited to being someone who's brought in later, like a friend of Harry's, with the two of them only being friends begrudgingly and constantly sniping and one-upping each other.

DeathChill
Feb 28, 2005
I play by my own rules, baby.
Well there's some bad news today.

A person who works for Marvel Russia in marketing (I believe), REALLY dislikes the movie. He had been pretty excited to see it and now he's really saying that he disliked it (pretty much). I've got some choice quotes.

quote:

My full review will be available on the 29th of June (that's when embargo will be lifted). Today I left the screening with the feeling, like someone took my favorite Spider-Man toy and broke it into pieces, if that makes any sense.

I'll be very skeptical about the sequel, from now on. With that said, if the rumors of Sony's search for the new director are anywhere close to the truth, then we might be going somewhere, but it's also important to get the sequel's script right, that is also what I'm most worried and disturbed about, especially after today.

Q: Are there any other superhero movies you'd compare it to?

A: Green Lantern instantly comes to mind.

Yeah, I agree. Managing expectations before the initial release would be possibly the best and right thing to do, for everyone.

This guy has been a member of SuperHeroHype since 2009 and has been responsible for showing new marketing stuff and images from The Amazing Spider-Man and the other Marvel movies for quite some time. He's legitimate. He REALLY hates this movie and I know he was excited to see it originally.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If you go back to the early issues of the comic, Peter wasn't that much of a loner nor was he really picked on much. He had friends and got dates, people were just dismissive of him because he was bookish.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DeathChill posted:

A person who works for Marvel Russia in marketing (I believe), REALLY dislikes the movie. He had been pretty excited to see it and now he's really saying that he disliked it (pretty much). I've got some choice quotes.

This guy has been a member of SuperHeroHype since 2009 and has been responsible for showing new marketing stuff and images from The Amazing Spider-Man and the other Marvel movies for quite some time. He's legitimate. He REALLY hates this movie and I know he was excited to see it originally.

Not to totally discount any of the reviewers but this origin is going to be different and that's going to really upset fans or set them off no matter how good the movie is. It's not going to be the mostly-verbatim origin of the Raimi movies. From everything I've seen so far be ready for a much different take.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

DeathChill posted:

Well, poo poo. I don't know. This movie looks fantastic, and I never saw any footage from Green Lantern prior to its release that looked anywhere near as good as this does. Unless they used everything good for the trailers and the previews, I can't see how we're looking at something as awful as Green Lantern.

DeathChill
Feb 28, 2005
This is what confuses me. Every clip and trailer I've seen just looks amazing so I'm having a really hard time figuring out where it goes wrong (apparently).

He also would not elaborate on what his issue with it is, so I've got no idea if his issue is with the origin. All I know is that he was very excited to see it and after he was extremely disappointed. I mean, he compared it to Green Lantern. I figured the fight scenes alone would elevate it above Green Lantern!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Am I crazy that the more I hear about studio execs and marketing types hating it, the more I'm predisposed to liking it? The footage looks great and I bet they all just don't think it's dumbed down enough to have broad appeal.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The only way it could be that bad is if it's an hour and a half of normal Peter angsty school kid teen movie with twenty minutes of actual Spider-man at the end.

But then, it'd just be another Raimi flick.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TOOT BOOT posted:

If you go back to the early issues of the comic, Peter wasn't that much of a loner nor was he really picked on much. He had friends and got dates, people were just dismissive of him because he was bookish.

Yes and no. In Spectacular (the animated series) they make good use of the college stories from the original comics to put Peter into his own circle of friends. Geeky, but a circle of friends all the same. In the original comics though he was all by himself until college when the cast expanded with Harry, Gwen, and MJ, and that's when we got the group of friends and Coffee Bean hangout time that ushered in the new Romita-era popularity of the character.

And that's a great approach, but in a movie you have to know what you want. If you want Flash to be a hokey adversary like Reggie Mantle is to Archie Andrews, then sure, but that means going for an overall lighter approach where Flash is just part of the gang, like the Stiffler example. That's not what they're going for in the movies though, or in Ultimate Spider-Man, which means there's not much room for Flash outside of being a total dick who will be forgotten about early on.

DeathChill
Feb 28, 2005

Lizard Combatant posted:

Am I crazy that the more I hear about studio execs and marketing types hating it, the more I'm predisposed to liking it? The footage looks great and I bet they all just don't think it's dumbed down enough to have broad appeal.

Not sure, the guy seems to be a real comic-book movie fan but his distaste for the movie came out of left field.

I asked a critic on Twitter who has seen it his opinion on what the guy said and the critic said he's insane and he actually plans on buying a ticket to see it again.

EDIT: The critic on Twitter also just said this:

quote:

I thought GL was terrible, and I thought TASM was the best Spidey movie so far. I have no idea what that guy was thinking.

DeathChill fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 15, 2012

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

sambafish posted:

Well, rumor has it that the budget, which was intially reported to be a very modest $80 million, has ballooned to over $200 million. This is just a might be part of the reason why Sony is worried about whether it will be profitable for them. For comparison, the Raimi trilogy had a combined budget of $597 million and grossed almost 2.5 billion worldwide.

Dude, I can guarantee you that this movie was never greenlit with a budget of $80 million. That's the CGI budget alone you are talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just found the scene with Spider-Man vs the car jacker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdxHat8dXp0

It's actually not that bad.

Apparently, the guy put it together from a bunch of officially released clips. I'm not surprised because just yesterday, I found four or five official clips.

• Locked thread