Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
GTA IV was the probably only first game where I didn't 100 percent. Then again when your reward is some helicopter that randomly spawns? Yeah lost all incentive right there. Would've been nice if there was more rewards. Not saying I would expect GTA V to do this, but at least make me build my own empire or something. That would be nice. People say they were tired of being the mafia boss. I say gently caress you. :colbert: Nothing better than rolling in with your posse, driving around making sure no gang is trying to take back their territory. (DID that alot in SA) Like wouldn't it be awesome if they actually try to you know make you organize your own crime syndicate? LCS kinda had the idea with the properties and poo poo. I'm not talking bout oh do this mission and you get a share for that. Like have some crew member shake down a local mom and pop store for protection money. I know I'm just doing some wishlist thinking mentality, but I have hope that GTA V will be far much better than GTA IV. (That and well it's in loving LA, gently caress NY )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 4, 2004

by T. Finninho
I clicked on this thread hoping for a GTAV update :negative:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Are there any dynamic mods for GTA4/EFLC ? Like, ones that take in the city. Like taxi missions, minus Roman's stupid poo poo, AND LETTING US DO IT ANY TIME, not just the first third of the game.

Or perhaps a pedestrian riot mod, like the GTA3 cheat (VC and SA versions of the cheat sucked). I love watching the AI fight, it's so good.

Liberty City is such a fantastic, detailed city, there aren't many ways that the game highlights the nitty gritty detail. I love going through alleys and thinking, gently caress, who was assigned alley duty in the dev team. Bravo R*, LC is great...shame the game doesn't give us more of a reason to explore it!

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Shindragon posted:

GTA IV was the probably only first game where I didn't 100 percent. Then again when your reward is some helicopter that randomly spawns? Yeah lost all incentive right there. Would've been nice if there was more rewards. Not saying I would expect GTA V to do this, but at least make me build my own empire or something. That would be nice. People say they were tired of being the mafia boss. I say gently caress you. :colbert: Nothing better than rolling in with your posse, driving around making sure no gang is trying to take back their territory. (DID that alot in SA) Like wouldn't it be awesome if they actually try to you know make you organize your own crime syndicate? LCS kinda had the idea with the properties and poo poo. I'm not talking bout oh do this mission and you get a share for that. Like have some crew member shake down a local mom and pop store for protection money. I know I'm just doing some wishlist thinking mentality, but I have hope that GTA V will be far much better than GTA IV. (That and well it's in loving LA, gently caress NY )

That early mission where you shake down the cleaners for Vlad I thought you were going to have to do that later for your empire :smith:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Avocados posted:

San Andreas on PC is beautiful compared to the PS2 version. Not to mention that the orange haze is pretty much removed with max draw distance. And the FPS is all silky smooth too. I really didn't expect that much of a difference on the PC version.

Back in 2004 I think? The ingame camera let you save your images to your memcard which you could import to your PC.

Yeesh.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
It's very easy now to load up GTA3,VC,SA on our gtx 560's or what have you and apply filters to make them better, but I remember even on GTA3 not too long after launch I was downloading people's custom high-poly cars and replacing them in the game files and still getting decent framerates. The PC ports so obviously suffered from the games being console-exclusive first and dumbed down accordingly. It was and still is very frustrating for games to not meet their potential because companies obviously have to do what's most profitable.

Edit: vv cleaner for me

davebo fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 18, 2012

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Which graphics option do you guys use on PC? The very blurry, but depth of field option or the crisper cleaner but no motion blur option?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Another thing that blows my mind is the speed the game loads on a modern HDD's vs my old PS2. It seemed like forever every time I loaded the game where as this guy has a 23 second loading bar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ei6Pzz2j-4

Mine loads a bit quicker than that, though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BduUNHMZTms

Michael Scott posted:

Which graphics option do you guys use on PC? The very blurry, but depth of field option or the crisper cleaner but no motion blur option?

Is that an option for GTA:SA or just GTA4?

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Michael Scott posted:

On GTA IV? I use the crisper option.
Although, I remember with VisualIV you could have the crisp graphics and motion blur at the same time.
I removed it for multiplayer, but since the multiplayer is broken (thanks to GFWL)...

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Zedicus Mann posted:

On GTA IV? I use the crisper option.
Although, I remember with VisualIV you could have the crisp graphics and motion blur at the same time.
I removed it for multiplayer, but since the multiplayer is broken (thanks to GFWL)...

Thanks, I'm trying that now! The only mod I've ever used is the badly-designed but huge number of options trainer. And I agree with whoever said ICE Enhancer just seems like tweaking a color profile and adding bloom, but is it worth it?

Ak Gara, the "P" option is only native to IV.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

simosimo posted:

Are there any dynamic mods for GTA4/EFLC ? Like, ones that take in the city. Like taxi missions, minus Roman's stupid poo poo, AND LETTING US DO IT ANY TIME, not just the first third of the game.

Or perhaps a pedestrian riot mod, like the GTA3 cheat (VC and SA versions of the cheat sucked). I love watching the AI fight, it's so good.

I don't have links 'cause I'm on my phone, but yes, both exist. There's one that adds different side missions and a riot mod (which I seem to recall is named "Anarchy" or something). Check out GTA Garage.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

Thanks, I'm trying that now! The only mod I've ever used is the badly-designed but huge number of options trainer. And I agree with whoever said ICE Enhancer just seems like tweaking a color profile and adding bloom, but is it worth it?

Ak Gara, the "P" option is only native to IV.

Is Ice Enhancer the same kind of thing as ENB? http://www.gta4-mods.com/misc/gionightss-best-enb-final-f9889

I don't have GTA4 for the PC so I can't remark if this is a good improvement or not.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Ak Gara posted:

Is Ice Enhancer the same kind of thing as ENB? http://www.gta4-mods.com/misc/gionightss-best-enb-final-f9889

I don't have GTA4 for the PC so I can't remark if this is a good improvement or not.

It's not, but they look similar. Also, that mod doesn't work on the most recent version, whereas the "VisualIV" improvement mod does.

Video's been posted before but here is ICE in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfGIs-NiX-g&hd=1

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 19, 2012

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

So I tried GTA3 on my Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0.
I guess there's a reason why it's listed as 'not compatible'.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
[GTA:SA] I just got some unsuspecting celebrities in my fake motorcade car, then made a beeline for the pier and bailed out right before the car flew into the ocean. :stare:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Avocados posted:

[GTA:SA] I just got some unsuspecting celebrities in my fake motorcade car, then made a beeline for the pier and bailed out right before the car flew into the ocean. :stare:
That was the mission that made me realize Rockstar had introduced a fundamental disconnect between the protagonists' motivation as depicted in cutscenes and their gameplay actions. I just felt that poo poo was out of line, you know? Drive to the criminally underused airport, stick a gun in their face and tell him to get the hell out of dodge or something, sure, but don't straight up kill a guy and his completely innocent girlfriend.

:mad:

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

That was the mission that made me realize Rockstar had introduced a fundamental disconnect between the protagonists' motivation as depicted in cutscenes and their gameplay actions. I just felt that poo poo was out of line, you know? Drive to the criminally underused airport, stick a gun in their face and tell him to get the hell out of dodge or something, sure, but don't straight up kill a guy and his completely innocent girlfriend.

*guns down 40 cops*

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Look it's not CJ's fault that for some reason, in the entire state of San Andreas, he and he alone is the only one that knows how to swim.

He probably thought they'd be fine.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Role Play McMurphy posted:

*guns down 40 cops*
Yeah that's another thing, why did Tenpenny pin a cop murder on CJ in the first place, dude has 100 on his record legitimately by the time he gets off the bicycle.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Anyone played the GTA4 first response mod? (The cop mod). The random missions are great, but muggins, shootouts and suicidal people, how about some pursuits or something?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Hahaha, Tenpenny pinning murders on CJ is hilarious given what goes on in the gameplay. God CJ sucks.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Avocados posted:

I always thought the worst one of those was murdering the entire construction crew and burying the foreman alive in concrete just because they made some inappropriate comments to his sister. At least Nicko is called out on his hypocrisy.

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!
The idea of moral fibre in GTA games is always skewed, there is no way round it.

I may be the only person in the universe who liked the idea of gritty realism that Rockstar seemed to want to spunk into GTA4, but what really annoyed me was the way the characters try to be deserving of sympathy because they actually question their actions whilst at the same time doing heinous things, which is about an unrealistic as you could ever be. Tony Soprano works as a character because he was morally reprehensible, he was a sociopath who did awful things, but that didn't mean he was a cyborg incapable of love or emotion. Niko (nico?, hm) doesn't work at all because he's so loving begrudging, like he's in denial of his actions. You end up feeling with CJ and Nico you're playing characters naturally subordinate and pussyfooting round everything, Tommy Vercetti worked because for a large portion of the game he was the literal boss and when he wasn't he was planning to murder or manipulate those who threatened his survival.

Niko would have worked far more if we'd been aware he did do things for the people he loved, Roman and Kate and Packie etc, but that it didn't stop him realising he was doing these things because it paid. Even to the extent of killing whatshisname just before being betrayed by Dmitri he's going 'Oh man so I have to murder him or else this other crew are gonna murder me how terrible, how did i get myself into this :sigh:'. You know full well why Niko you loving mong, so stop trying to repent. To me the missions that work the best are ones like Packie's police brother where he literally states he's committing grand murder because he's good at it and it pays well.

It's a game about crime, a subject directly involving mass exploitation for personal profit. You'll always gently caress up the narrative when you try to convince us the characters are altruistic 'victims' of exploitative figures. Bodie in the Wire was one of the most sympathetic characters because you cared about him as a human trying to get by, not because there was an episode where Stringer showed him his sick wheelchair bound twin brother dangling over a pit of acid.

DehatstyTopinbout
Dec 28, 2004

C4
is the motherfucking answer
I can't get behind this narrative disconnect poo poo. Every time GTA is discussed it comes up. I can't even tell when people are being serious or facetious about it anymore. I've certainly never played GTA or any other game for the story. I certainly don't think the half assed movie inspired stories they throw together are worth deconstructing.

Maybe my reaction is unnecessary but people seem to be getting too far up their own asses about a game. Especially one that has always been about being an antisocial dick and tearing up a city regardless of whatever weak story they slap on it. Oh I know you're all going to say that you enjoy the core game and just want another Tommy Vercetti. I get it. It's just such a trivial thing to care about in my opinion.

Agree to disagree I guess. I had a much more severe poo poo post going before I realized what I was doing and amended it.

DehatstyTopinbout fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 19, 2012

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I always pay attention to the story in games, and when it's hyped up as being actually important and moving like GTA IV was, then it becomes a factor in the experience. GTA IV failed in this aspect, and so did San Andreas, but I do think they got it right with Red Dead Redemption, so I have higher hopes for GTA V in this regard.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Chumpion posted:

The idea of moral fibre in GTA games is always skewed, there is no way round it.

I may be the only person in the universe who liked the idea of gritty realism that Rockstar seemed to want to spunk into GTA4, but what really annoyed me was the way the characters try to be deserving of sympathy because they actually question their actions whilst at the same time doing heinous things, which is about an unrealistic as you could ever be. Tony Soprano works as a character because he was morally reprehensible, he was a sociopath who did awful things, but that didn't mean he was a cyborg incapable of love or emotion. Niko (nico?, hm) doesn't work at all because he's so loving begrudging, like he's in denial of his actions. You end up feeling with CJ and Nico you're playing characters naturally subordinate and pussyfooting round everything, Tommy Vercetti worked because for a large portion of the game he was the literal boss and when he wasn't he was planning to murder or manipulate those who threatened his survival.

Niko would have worked far more if we'd been aware he did do things for the people he loved, Roman and Kate and Packie etc, but that it didn't stop him realising he was doing these things because it paid. Even to the extent of killing whatshisname just before being betrayed by Dmitri he's going 'Oh man so I have to murder him or else this other crew are gonna murder me how terrible, how did i get myself into this :sigh:'. You know full well why Niko you loving mong, so stop trying to repent. To me the missions that work the best are ones like Packie's police brother where he literally states he's committing grand murder because he's good at it and it pays well.

It's a game about crime, a subject directly involving mass exploitation for personal profit. You'll always gently caress up the narrative when you try to convince us the characters are altruistic 'victims' of exploitative figures. Bodie in the Wire was one of the most sympathetic characters because you cared about him as a human trying to get by, not because there was an episode where Stringer showed him his sick wheelchair bound twin brother dangling over a pit of acid.

You remind me of the core gameplay. Grand. Theft. Auto. Stealing cars! Back in GTA1, I once took so many cars to the docks, that cars stopped spawning.

I had stolen literally every car in the city. :stare:

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!

DehatstyTopinbout posted:

I can't get behind this narrative disconnect poo poo. Every time GTA is discussed it comes up. I can't even tell when people are being serious or facetious about it anymore. I've certainly never played GTA or any other game for the story.

Maybe my reaction is unnecessary but people seem to be getting too far up their own asses about a game. Especially one that has always been about being an antisocial dick and tearing up a city regardless of whatever weak story they slap on it. Oh I know you're all going to say that you enjoy the core game and just want another Tommy Vercetti. I get it. It's just such a trivial thing to care about in my opinion.

Agree to disagree I guess. I had a much more severe poo poo post going before I realized what I was doing and amended it.

I geninely don't want another Tommy Vercetti, if anything he's the opposite end of the spectrum because he's too sociopathic and seemingly cares for nothing, but you don't make a character layered in a crime fiction by giving him external forces that he can't control, that just makes them seem like pussies. You only need to look at the Mass Effect 3 debacle to realise that narrative means a lot to people and can directly affect their enjoyment of a game.

I see your point to an extent. And I do honestly wonder if people would have got more enjoyment out of the gta, fallout or mass effect series if there had been zero story or narrative at all. But that's just how things are, and saying there is room for improvement isn't at all facetitious or trivial.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah Doing Things With Cars has increasingly become less important than Using Car Drives To Play Additional Expository Dialogue And Then Do Cover Based Shootouts. I quite like both but with the latter there's a really obvious formula.

e: let's be reall for all the criticism I will buy and enjoy the hell out of GTAV and then raise the exact same criticism again once I get to about the second third of it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah that's another thing, why did Tenpenny pin a cop murder on CJ in the first place, dude has 100 on his record legitimately by the time he gets off the bicycle.

Is this really supposed to be why CJ is working for them? I just assumed they were holding all the poo poo he does over his head, not that one specific murder. CJ also didn't just kill Tenpenny because he personally knows everyone in the gang, and could easily have them all killed.

DehatstyTopinbout
Dec 28, 2004

C4
is the motherfucking answer

Chumpion posted:

I geninely don't want another Tommy Vercetti, if anything he's the opposite end of the spectrum because he's too sociopathic and seemingly cares for nothing, but you don't make a character layered in a crime fiction by giving him external forces that he can't control, that just makes them seem like pussies. You only need to look at the Mass Effect 3 debacle to realise that narrative means a lot to people and can directly affect their enjoyment of a game.

I see your point to an extent. And I do honestly wonder if people would have got more enjoyment out of the gta, fallout or mass effect series if there had been zero story or narrative at all. But that's just how things are, and saying there is room for improvement isn't at all facetitious or trivial.

To be totally fair I'm being a bit of a dick. I blame sleep deprivation.

I see your point about room for improvement. Deep down inside I'm also aware that dictating what people should take away from a form of entertainment or how much they should enjoy it is insane. Different strokes for different folks and the world keeps on moving. v:v:v

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

People always talk about CJ and Niko and Tommy but so few people remember Toni.

He was an interesting middleground between them I thought. He wasn't the "reluctant killer" like CJ but he also wasn't a completely unfeeling psycho like Tommy. If anything, he cared too much, which motivated him to beat a man to death and then have his carcass made into food. All so that his (Toni's) mom would finally respect him.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

Back in 2004 I think? The ingame camera let you save your images to your memcard which you could import to your PC.

Yeesh.

holy crap how do you get the graphics in SA to look like that?

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

NikkolasKing posted:

People always talk about CJ and Niko and Tommy but so few people remember Toni.

He was an interesting middleground between them I thought. He wasn't the "reluctant killer" like CJ but he also wasn't a completely unfeeling psycho like Tommy. If anything, he cared too much, which motivated him to beat a man to death and then have his carcass made into food. All so that his (Toni's) mom would finally respect him.

I like how the LCS version of Toni looked and sounded nothing like the III version. Its like the guy aged a decade in the three timespan between the two games.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

PrettyhateM posted:

holy crap how do you get the graphics in SA to look like that?

It's just Brightness set to min, draw distance set to max, FX Quality set to Very High, 1920x1080, 16x anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic, with "Marty McFly 2.0 Californian Sun" ENB Series shaders.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

It's just Brightness set to min, draw distance set to max, FX Quality set to Very High, 1920x1080, 16x anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic, with "Marty McFly 2.0 Californian Sun" ENB Series shaders.

ENB series? I am doing google searches and holy poo poo there is nothing but nonsense on how to mod SA.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Since when was CJ a reluctant killer? His life prior to leaving SA was being a member of a violent street gang and when he comes back he goes right back to doing that. He didn't like working with Tenpenny and co. but that was because they were corrupt cops who treated him like poo poo and stole his stuff, it was never about an objection to killing.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Is San Andreas any better on PC? Is there actual free aiming? Good mods?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Is San Andreas any better on PC?

God yes.

quote:

Is there actual free aiming? Good mods?

Yes and a lot of other people think so. I don't use mods for it, personally.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Is San Andreas any better on PC? Is there actual free aiming? Good mods?

San Andreas on PC is great, except for flying with a mouse (which isn't even required) and the default plane setup in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002
Is it playable with a 360 gamepad?

• Locked thread