Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

For everyone getting into Drive for the first time via streaming, think about following it up with Thief, one of its biggest inspirations.

Excellent recommendation, it's crazy how similar both movies are (socially awkward criminal professional latches onto girl with unrealistic ideals already in mind, takes jobs from people who are obviously going try the old gently caress-over routine later on).

The Billy Crystal/Gregory Hines classic Running Scared is up on Netflix as well. It's a great little Chicago crime movie that can really only exist in the 80s. It's really violent, yet Crystal and Hines float through the movie as two wise-cracking cops while gunning down criminals, narrowly avoiding getting killed, and having a really hilarious/bizarre montage of them kicking it in Miami while hooking up with every girl under the sun there. I love all the locales they used to shoot in this movie as well. Great use of the city, and I forgot how many other actors show up in it in smaller roles (Jimmy Smitts, Joe Pantoliano, Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite, Manny from Scarface). It's an interesting little movie, though the soundtrack is pretty ridiculous (I hope you love Michael McDonald haha).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Good lord that Cubs logo is gigantic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

hypersleep posted:

They don't save the movie for me, however. I don't feel like I wasted time watching it, but it's not a movie I'd watch again, and I don't understand why this movie became the most talked about movie of 2011.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437467

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

ruddiger posted:

Excellent recommendation, it's crazy how similar both movies are (socially awkward criminal professional latches onto girl with unrealistic ideals already in mind, takes jobs from people who are obviously going try the old gently caress-over routine later on).

The Billy Crystal/Gregory Hines classic Running Scared is up on Netflix as well. It's a great little Chicago crime movie that can really only exist in the 80s. It's really violent, yet Crystal and Hines float through the movie as two wise-cracking cops while gunning down criminals, narrowly avoiding getting killed, and having a really hilarious/bizarre montage of them kicking it in Miami while hooking up with every girl under the sun there. I love all the locales they used to shoot in this movie as well. Great use of the city, and I forgot how many other actors show up in it in smaller roles (Jimmy Smitts, Joe Pantoliano, Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite, Manny from Scarface). It's an interesting little movie, though the soundtrack is pretty ridiculous (I hope you love Michael McDonald haha).

I watched part of this last night on the "This!" network.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I read several pages of that thread. I understand why some people really like the movie, I'm just surprised so many people do. The collection of elements most people bring up as reasons they like the movie just don't do much for me. Oh well.

I saw Refn's Valhalla Rising when it was first added to Netflix and liked that, though. I thought the themes in that movie worked much better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I hope you don't think I'm attacking you. You asked and I answered.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I hope you don't think I'm attacking you. You asked and I answered.

Not at all. I feel like my disappointment with Drive is partly my fault as I may actually have overestimated the positive response to it, actually, because it tends to get very high praise in certain circles, but outside of these, opinions are less positive. It seems like a very polarizing film, and I just happen to be on the side that didn't care much for it.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

hypersleep posted:

Watched Drive last night. What's with all the hype? The characters were one dimensional and I really didn't care about the main character's infatuation with the mom. The whole plot lacked depth. Other than the fact that it had a bit of stylish cinematic flair, it was ultimately uninteresting and forgettable.

I don't mind shallow crime and action flicks, but they at least need to have something to keep me interested, and Drive had nothing.

Yep. It's a so-so movie that got an absurd amount of hype.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Drive worked pretty well for me as a subversion of action movie archetypes. The Driver was a more realistic version of the quiet, stoic hero, which translates to creepy Asperger's dude.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Drive is a really strange movie. The plot is pretty shallow, and the characters are one-dimensional, as you said, but the themes are fairly deep and very interesting to analyze, and there's also a wealth of analysis possible with the film's technical aspects (the use of color in it is utterly phenomenal, and the costuming is also noteworthy).

Fortunately, this is exactly what I like to sink my teeth into. Also, Drive is just a really loving fun movie to watch, surprisingly. Point is, Drive owns on quite a few levels.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What I like about it so much is that it shows instead of telling and the simplicity of that is really difficult to get right.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I liked Drive, but I really can't take Albert Brooks seriously in a role like that. That's the biggest thing about it that didn't work for me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I liked Drive, but I really can't take Albert Brooks seriously in a role like that. That's the biggest thing about it that didn't work for me.

I like to think Albert Brooks plays the same character he did in Taxi Driver. Dude realized that bad boys get all the chicks and went way overboard.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
Is Enter the Void actually good or should I be on drugs while I watch this? Serious question.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Zero Karizma posted:

Is Enter the Void actually good or should I be on drugs while I watch this? Serious question.

personally i thought it was the best movie of 2010 and i saw it twice in the theaters, and i dont do drugs

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Both Drive and Enter the Void are results of their respective directors taking their overall concepts to their logical conclusion. I love both of those directors to death and I love both of those films so it makes a lot of sense. You need to buy into their own ideologies to some extent if you want to enjoy either of them; Drive is way easier to watch and parse than Enter the Void. I heard tell of Noe being put in control of the soundboard during a film festival showing of Enter the Void and just cranking the volume up until it redlined, which I think is the correct way to view it. Dude is in love with subtle sounds cranked to maximum.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Zero Karizma posted:

Gaspar Noe's movies are brilliant, but frankly I think they might be better to read about than actually sit through.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, ITunes wants $7 an episode for Sherlock. So I guess that's one way to get your money's worth out of NetFlix.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

smackfu posted:

Wow, ITunes wants $7 an episode for Sherlock. So I guess that's one way to get your money's worth out of NetFlix.

In all fairness, each episode is 90 minutes and there are only 6 of them.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I watched Drive last night and I really liked it. For a movie with minimal dialog I thought the plot was pretty deep.

I also watched Knuckle. A documentary about Irish travelers and their world of bare knuckle boxing. Like it quite a bit as well.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

maxnmona posted:

Yep. It's a so-so movie that got an absurd amount of hype.

That's what some of the reviews said at the time. The director basically confused style for substance, and then doubles down on the style. Gosling tries to channel Steve McQueen's cool, without any of the nuance or charm. It's a gorgeous movie with a tiny bit of symbolism shoehorned in (the scorpion, the mask), but ultimately one-dimensional characters. If more of the other characters were more fleshed out while Gosling remained stoic and silent, it would have been much more engaging. Every character in a film cannot communicate via smoldering gaze.

It's very well-made and looks fantastic, but just lacks something, like the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Despite its shortcomings, it's still one of the best of the year, even though most of the hype comes from the HOLLYWOOD IS OUT OF IDEAS :hurr: crowd.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

red19fire posted:

That's what some of the reviews said at the time. The director basically confused style for substance, and then doubles down on the style. Gosling tries to channel Steve McQueen's cool, without any of the nuance or charm. It's a gorgeous movie with a tiny bit of symbolism shoehorned in (the scorpion, the mask), but ultimately one-dimensional characters. If more of the other characters were more fleshed out while Gosling remained stoic and silent, it would have been much more engaging. Every character in a film cannot communicate via smoldering gaze.

It's very well-made and looks fantastic, but just lacks something, like the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Despite its shortcomings, it's still one of the best of the year, even though most of the hype comes from the HOLLYWOOD IS OUT OF IDEAS :hurr: crowd.
This really ought to go in the Drive thread but someone in there linked a review that said about what you did, only more extensively, and the general consensus is that you're missing the point. They're not trying to "channel Steve McQueen's cool" but failing because they don't have the nuance or charm. They're trying to push this kind of vigilante character to its logical conclusion: he's nearly mute, a cypher not because he hides it but because he's largely empty, and basically a psychopath with the emotional maturity of a child. His "smoldering gaze" is horrifying rather than reassuring because the kind of person who goes around killing people isn't a wise-cracking Steve McQueen. He's a cold blooded murderer.

The something that you think it lacks is the thin veneer of humanity that action movies paste over their ruthless killers to make you feel like they're still good people and that they're just doing what it takes to get the job done. The Driver's not a cop or a semi-noble "The Man With No Name" mercenary sort: he's a straight up criminal, and that should be the first clue that the hero was supposed to be closer to De Niro in Taxi Driver or Caan in Thief than McQueen in Bullitt or Eastwood in Dirty Harry.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Zero Karizma posted:

Two Worlds posted:

personally i thought it was the best movie of 2010 and i saw it twice in the theaters, and i dont do drugs

I thought it was terrible and contrived as poo poo. This is coming from a guy who does drugs, used to do a LOT of loving drugs, and I like Christmas on Mars. Beyond the Black Rainbow was way better than Enter the Void, but it's not streaming. Also I feel Enter the Void does a disservice to DMT, and I've smoked DMT more than your average person, but I'm not a Joe Rogan kind of fanatic, but the drug is serious and deeper than this movie portrays. Or the movie failed to execute...

Start the movie, if you don't like the first 30 minutes you're not going to like the rest.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 19, 2012

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I don't know when they got added, but The Addam's Family and Addam's Family Values both got added to Netflix.

I will fight anyone who says that these are not good movies.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

GonSmithe posted:

I don't know when they got added, but The Addam's Family and Addam's Family Values both got added to Netflix.

I will fight anyone who says that these are not good movies.

They are both brilliant films. Dark satire at it's best, and fairly faithful to the tone of the comics, despite taking a lot of it's visual inspiration from the tv show (which isn't a bad starting place either)

They also have Raul Julia being a total badass in a good movie, rather than being a total badass and being the only good thing about the movie.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

They are both brilliant films. Dark satire at it's best, and fairly faithful to the tone of the comics, despite taking a lot of it's visual inspiration from the tv show (which isn't a bad starting place either)

Yeah, I like the show a bit, but it suffers from that samey-ness that all 1960's sitcoms have. The jokes are too jokey and hackneyed, there's a lot of forced schmaltzy-ness, etc. I thought the movie really nailed the right "feel" for an adaptation of the comics, and I've never even read the original strip.

And Wednesday Addams is, to this day, Christina Ricci's best role in my opinion. I mean that's not really saying much alongside poo poo like Casper and Sleepy Hollow, but still.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I just watched both Addams Family movies last night, and I'd say my one major criticism is that the second film relies WAY too heavily on the TV show theme song to highlight humorous moments. The score is almost entirely based around that song, and it seemed really unnecessary. I think it popped up a few times in the first movie, but nowhere near as often as in Values. It just gives the whole thing this kinda, "Remember? 'Cause like, it used to be a tv show?" vibe that is a bit annoying.

There's also a large helping of very specific early 90s gags that are horribly dated. They are both really good, though, and Christopher Lloyd's Fester is maybe his greatest role (Yeah, that's right). He totally nails it. It's just perfect casting all around, though.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

He's a cold blooded murderer.

:aaa: Ok, this makes way more sense, I need to watch this movie again. I watched it under the guise of protagonist = good guy.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Somebody please post the collage of people wearing the Drive jacket really badly.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

red19fire posted:

:aaa: Ok, this makes way more sense, I need to watch this movie again. I watched it under the guise of protagonist = good guy.

Pay attention to when Driver and the kid are watching cartoons.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pay attention to when Driver and the kid are watching cartoons.

What did I miss besides The Driver not looking over to the babysitter?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He gives a little speech about what a bad guy is.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
There's no good sharks?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Volume posted:

What did I miss besides The Driver not looking over to the babysitter?

Driver: "Is he a bad guy?"
Kid: "Yeah."
Driver: "How can you tell?"
Kid: "'Cause... he's a shark."
Driver: "There's no good sharks?"
Kid: "No. I mean, just look at him. Does he look like a good guy to you?"

90% of this scene is lost when you can't see the driver's face or hear his tone of voice, but:

He asks "there's no good sharks?" because he wants the kid to tell him that no, actually there are some good sharks. When the kid says "no, just look at him, etc." the driver is staring sadly off at the TV (ignoring the knock on the door and the person coming in). He's a shark (aka A CRIMINAL for those in the audience who are kind of slow) and the kid has just told him that a shark can never be a good guy.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wow I did see that, totally missed the implication. drat now I feel stupid.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
It's also be foreshadowing regarding Bernie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Volume posted:

Wow I did see that, totally missed the implication. drat now I feel stupid.

It tells you a lot of things, not only about Bernie, but about Driver. His philosophy about relating to others is increasingly shown to be rigid and unreasonable, but still somehow innocent. In other words, he's every bit the stoic badass a child or adolescent would find cool and relatable but in real life is basically a psychopath.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This really ought to go in the Drive thread but someone in there linked a review that said about what you did, only more extensively, and the general consensus is that you're missing the point. They're not trying to "channel Steve McQueen's cool" but failing because they don't have the nuance or charm. They're trying to push this kind of vigilante character to its logical conclusion: he's nearly mute, a cypher not because he hides it but because he's largely empty, and basically a psychopath with the emotional maturity of a child. His "smoldering gaze" is horrifying rather than reassuring because the kind of person who goes around killing people isn't a wise-cracking Steve McQueen. He's a cold blooded murderer.

The something that you think it lacks is the thin veneer of humanity that action movies paste over their ruthless killers to make you feel like they're still good people and that they're just doing what it takes to get the job done. The Driver's not a cop or a semi-noble "The Man With No Name" mercenary sort: he's a straight up criminal, and that should be the first clue that the hero was supposed to be closer to De Niro in Taxi Driver or Caan in Thief than McQueen in Bullitt or Eastwood in Dirty Harry.
I'd so it goes further and implies that Mcqueen and Eastwood themselves are closer to the Taxi Driver themselves than most would acknowledge.

Anyway, Driver is all about people attempting to change themselves for the better but failing and being forced to act within their nature. Standard is forced to become a criminal (despite asking forgiveness from his friends and family for his wrong-doings and promising a change), the Driver is forced to commit violence (despite his claim that all he does is drive), Bernie is forced to work illegally again even though expressing a desire to go into more legitimate business, Irene falls in love with another criminal that will leave her and Benicio to fend for themselves again, etc. etc. with almost every character with some form of arc.

It ties into the Driver's conversation with Benicio, but also his phone call with Bernie about the fable of the Scorpion and the Frog, in which a scorpion asks a frog for a ride across the river. The frog accepts but under the condition that the Scorpion doesn't sting him. Halfway across the Scorpion stings the frog and they both begin to drown. Before they meet their watery doom, the frog asks the scorpion why, and the scorpion replies that it was his nature.

Anyway, I loved Drive when I first saw it in theaters, I've seen it like 8 times now, and I wrote an undergrad critical analysis of it for a Pop Culture class. v:shobon:v

It tells you a lot of things, not only about Bernie, but about Driver. His philosophy about relating to others is increasingly shown to be rigid and unreasonable, but still somehow innocent. In other words, he's every bit the stoic badass a child or adolescent would find cool and relatable but in real life is basically a psychopath.

There's a reason that the Driver was shown as working as a stunt-double in the movies; there may not be an actual person in there at all, just an act that destroys everything it touches.

reach42 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 21, 2012

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

RizieN posted:

Start the movie, if you don't like the first 30 minutes you're not going to like the rest.

To be fair I might've actually liked it if it were only 30 minutes long. But I mean, the setup itself is like thirty minutes, then two hours of tedious garbage, CGI dick penetrating CGI vagina, fin. Holy poo poo was that movie an agonizing slog after the best opening credits of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Wolfsheim posted:

To be fair I might've actually liked it if it were only 30 minutes long. But I mean, the setup itself is like thirty minutes, then two hours of tedious garbage, CGI dick penetrating CGI vagina, fin. Holy poo poo was that movie an agonizing slog after the best opening credits of all time.

Yea I have to agree 100%. Maybe the dragging on and on and on is what actually killed it for me. Also, this is coming from a guy who will gladly sit through 2001 A Space Odyssey any time anywhere.

• Locked thread