Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Ahh, God. I remember reading those books. Somehow they're even worse than her vampire necromancer were-whathaveyou series. There used to be sort of plots in the Anita Blake books but that quickly devolved to just a couple hundred pages of supernatural loving and erotic mind rapes. I used to read them to make myself laugh because drat that woman is creepy. I swear Hamilton has a closet full of stained fur suits.

Not GRRM levels of creepy, you understand. Pear-Shaped Man is wayyy worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

What are they complaining about today? Fucking shithole of a city. Whining bastards, bitching about the trash or the crime or this or that.

empty sea posted:

Ahh, God. I remember reading those books. Somehow they're even worse than her vampire necromancer were-whathaveyou series. There used to be sort of plots in the Anita Blake books but that quickly devolved to just a couple hundred pages of supernatural loving and erotic mind rapes. I used to read them to make myself laugh because drat that woman is creepy. I swear Hamilton has a closet full of stained fur suits.

You can pinpoint the downward spiral with Anita Blake as starting with her split from her ex-husband. After that the sex ramped up and got totally loving ridiculous, and she wrote her new fanboy husband into the series as Micah. :gonk:

It's too bad, the first four or so books of the series were really decent.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
...really? Then man, the comic book adaptation screwed it up all kinds of ways.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Have you guys read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms? that one also has a few interesting sex scenes.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

Waffle Ho posted:

You can pinpoint the downward spiral with Anita Blake as starting with her split from her ex-husband. After that the sex ramped up and got totally loving ridiculous, and she wrote her new fanboy husband into the series as Micah. :gonk:

It's too bad, the first four or so books of the series were really decent.

Yeah, they were kind of interesting. I would've even been able to handle the ridiculous supernatural sex scenes if she'd kept up with the crime scene/investigation plots. Instead we just got weirdo kink and so much sex that all hints of a plot were forgotten.

Fanboy husband? Ugh, one of the creepiest scenes is Micah raping Anita in the shower with his giant were-leopard cock.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Thread's gettin good today.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

empty sea posted:

Yeah, they were kind of interesting. I would've even been able to handle the ridiculous supernatural sex scenes if she'd kept up with the crime scene/investigation plots. Instead we just got weirdo kink and so much sex that all hints of a plot were forgotten.

Fanboy husband? Ugh, one of the creepiest scenes is Micah raping Anita in the shower with his giant were-leopard cock.

Well hey, it can't be worse than Dominic Dee---she wrote her husband into her book RAPING the HEROINE :stare:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Kinda makes you appreciate Brandon Sanderson's Mormon aversion to the concept that sex exists.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So are we American prudes for not liking all this otherkin sex and liking authors who have the sense to be chaste, or is it symptomatic of American prudism that these authors write all this lovely otherkin sex?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
aeverous, crazypeltast, and anyone else who might be interested: here you go!

Hope you enjoy, and I always love receiving feedback.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

IRQ posted:

Kinda makes you appreciate Brandon Sanderson's Mormon aversion to the concept that sex exists.

Clearly you haven't read Warbreaker. :colbert:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

IRQ posted:

Hey hey hey, sex totally exists. Skaa are killed if they have sex with nobility. Thus, sex exists. :colbert:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Silver2195 posted:

Clearly you haven't read Warbreaker. :colbert:

Actually that's the only one of his I haven't.

EatDirt
Nov 13, 2009
Thanks Kylaer!

I was actually considering rereading the books to catch all the assumed stuff I missed before. However the last 300 pages have really set me straight... :suicide:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

EatDirt posted:

Thanks Kylaer!

I was actually considering rereading the books to catch all the assumed stuff I missed before. However the last 300 pages have really set me straight... :suicide:
This thread is surprisingly good at turning people off from lovely fantasy novels.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

i am looking for some words that rhyme with reek and i heard you guys can help?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

greek, bleak, leek, speak, sneak, beak, danys, peak, neap, meek, lemoncakes.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Maybe we should start recommending good books instead. Starting with fantasy, one everyone should have already read: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Wild Cards: Fort Freak

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

A Darkness at Sethanon. :v:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Urdnot Fire posted:

This thread is surprisingly good at turning people off from lovely fantasy novels.

Well poo poo, tell us some good fantasy books to read; they're a pretty sorry bunch on the whole. Only things in the genre I've enjoyed of late are Pratchett and Zelazny.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

Maybe we should start recommending good books instead. Starting with fantasy, one everyone should have already read: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

I love this book but still see get a lot of poo poo around here, although it is a good sign the poo poo is always about being a slow starter/length as opposed to having creepy sex. I'm pretty sure the most liked fantasy series around here are Lies of Locke Lamora and The First Law stuff.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Wolfechu posted:

Well poo poo, tell us some good fantasy books to read; they're a pretty sorry bunch on the whole. Only things in the genre I've enjoyed of late are Pratchett and Zelazny.

Things you may have recommended to you that are actually mediocre or poo poo:
Abercrombie
Sanderson
Rothfuss

Things that you may have recommended to you that are loving creepy
Bakker
Rothfuss
Bakker
Bakker

Fantasy books that might actually be worth reading:
Catherynne Valente
Gene Wolfe
Ursula LeGuin
Whoever wrote that Locke Lamora book probably, I haven't read it

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Why is Gurm not on that list? :colbert:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
What about Malazan?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Oblique.

Yeah, try and work that in GRRM you fat piece of poo poo.

Also, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell is the amazing and everyone should read it all day every day.

Mieville is pretty good, but his horror stuff is better than his fantasy stuff.

Didn't Charles Stross do a good fantasy thing, or is he all sci-fi and I'm getting confused?

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

VaultAggie posted:

What about Malazan?

Malazan is good. I'm still not sure what the hell happened in any of the books, but I feel good about it. So, there's that.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

VaultAggie posted:

What about Malazan?

I dunno, I bounced really hard off Deadhouse Gates because it felt like a Forgotten Realms novel and I hadn't read any of the sourcebooks, but people swear up and down it pays off. So I reserve judgment, having not actually read them. The names are dreadful, though, I feel confident making an authoritative declaration on this point.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

You know what happens in Malazan? People get given the best nicknames ever. The dumb guy over there? Yeah, people call him Dim. The nervous guy who flips out all the time? Antsy. The guy with the fiddle? Fiddler. If nothing else, Malazan has a knack for instantly characterizing otherwise flat characters whose purpose is mainly to die horribly in a battle somewhere. You know someone has become important when they suddenly have more names or titles.

Unless they immediately disappear from the story after gaining those extra titles. Which does happen. I'm expecting some of those ones to appear in the last book, but I'm still on Stonewielder yet, so Crippled God will have to wait.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

IRQ posted:

greek, bleak, leek, speak, sneak, beak, danys, peak, neap, meek, lemoncakes.

This is a terrible list. Here you go Alfred (and GRRM if you're reading this): Sikh, leak, teak, pique, weak, seek, geek.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Seriously, Abercrombie's First Law was terrible writing, terrible characters, terrible plot, and like 2 genuinely not terrible world ideas. I have no idea why that poo poo is so recommended, but I'm glad I got them at the library and didn't actually buy the damned things.

e: and those people in the Magicians thread pretending it's a good book? Don't let them fool you. It's interesting to read, but the writing is terrible and the plot would be GURM bad if it was longer.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Something legitimately good from the Baby's First Step thread:

Saveron_01 posted:

In the deepest part of House of the Undying:

Pyat Pree: Okay, you are going down a corridor and there is a scraping sound coming from behind the large door. Okay guys, please place your miniatures in the order you are going down this corridor.

First warlock: I cast magic missile!

Pyat Pree: Umm, you need a target and get your Cheeto colored hand off the hex map, how many times...

Second warlock: Dude, I totally think that white hair chick was into you, did you do the magic trick with the gem? Chicks like magic!

Pyat Pree: Yea, I did it. Then I helped Xaro with that thing with the Thirteen, I am sure she is into me.

First warlock: You know, we should get Xaro to play with us, I am sure he would play a tank, gods know we need one since everyone is a mage.

Third warlock: Wait, is that the reason you invited the Dary here? I would be down if she played a cleric.

Pyat Pree: Guys, we really need to get through this, since I have a surprise that i really want to show tonight. Okay...you open the door and BOOM!

*Pyat places a small cage with one of the dragons on the table*

First warlock: Holy, that['s] to scale with our miniatures! Good job scoring the dragon! Totally unexpected!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You know what happens in Malazan? People get given the best nicknames ever. The dumb guy over there? Yeah, people call him Dim. The nervous guy who flips out all the time? Antsy. The guy with the fiddle? Fiddler. If nothing else, Malazan has a knack for instantly characterizing otherwise flat characters whose purpose is mainly to die horribly in a battle somewhere. You know someone has become important when they suddenly have more names or titles.

Unless they immediately disappear from the story after gaining those extra titles. Which does happen. I'm expecting some of those ones to appear in the last book, but I'm still on Stonewielder yet, so Crippled God will have to wait.

If Kylaer's rants bear any resemblance to reality I look forward to your reaction once you finish.

Then again, you liked Mass Effect 3's ending, so...

e:

Makochuk posted:

I love this book but still see get a lot of poo poo around here, although it is a good sign the poo poo is always about being a slow starter/length as opposed to having creepy sex. I'm pretty sure the most liked fantasy series around here are Lies of Locke Lamora and The First Law stuff.

It's not a slow starter! It just has a different flavor before it gets weird. It's (in a very different way) similar to ASOIAF in that magic is gone from the world (yes, yes, only mostly etc etc) and is coming back. Since it's premised on that, though, it's not going to create the sort of dissonance that some people felt with ASOIAF's magic

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 19, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

VaultAggie posted:

What about Malazan?

It starts out good then quickly becomes way, way, way, way too grandiose in the sheer amount of characters to keep track of that the story becomes ridiculously convoluted. Tracking the timeline of what's happening when is a nightmare, and by the end of ten novels you're left with very few characters to actually give a poo poo about.

The best part about the novels are the Bridgeburners, and they ultimately don't play a large role.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Chunk posted:

I thought the pink letter contained a ton of information that the NW guys wouldn't know.

Also I suggest everyone listen to Roy Dotrice reading that chapter. It's fantastic.

Ya I thought it up before I got to the letter so I've forgotten what exactly was in it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

whowhatwhere posted:

Then again, you liked Mass Effect 3's ending, so...

Oh, internet hyperbole. :allears: The only phenomena I can think of where "not being mindlessly enraged at how lovely something is" slowly drifts into "thought it was pretty good."

There is a grey area between love and hate, you know.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Octy posted:

This is a terrible list. Here you go Alfred (and GRRM if you're reading this): Sikh, leak, teak, pique, weak, seek, geek.
Chic, cheek, Gleek, squeak, streak.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh, internet hyperbole. :allears: The only phenomena I can think of where "not being mindlessly enraged at how lovely something is" slowly drifts into "thought it was pretty good."

There is a grey area between love and hate, you know.

So you thought it was lovely, but were expecting worse, or were just "ehn" about it?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

It didn't particularly phase me either way. It sure was an ending!

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I was fine with it. I cried a little. It was better than any ending GRRM would ever be able to write if he was ever able to write anything again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Man, if only we could get Buzz Aldrin for the finale of the show to be sitting around with a young boy who wants to hear more about the Bolton, King of the Seven Kingdoms.