Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
BBC3 for me is Doctor Who repeats and Eurovision semi-finals. I already have the Doctor Who on DVD/Blu-Ray, so an entire channel boils down to 2 days of Eurovision a year. BBC4 is where the background viewing is at for me. I've learned so much about so many things from having it on while doing other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!
BBC4 is showing a Manilow concert at the moment. You are right though, I'm learning a lot.

Mainly involving my own sexuality mind..

Chumpion fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 19, 2012

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I didn't really enjoy the Discworld stuff Sky did, so I would be happy if they left it alone. The productions felt far too small to me. They had too few extras, the sets never seemed big enough, and, other than the odd scene, the CGI was awful. Also David Jason was never in a million years Rincewind. :colbert:
I think the main problem with a lot of Sky's original programming is although they're willing to throw money at the cast and crew* they try and shoot on the cheap by doing it all overseas. I'd guess this is the issue with using the same extras repeatedly, if you're using British staff it's much easier to deal with their contracts in a channel specific language than having the hassle of translations and any potential balls ups.

*anecdotal evidence I know, but they paid me over a third more than my normal rate for doing the same job l am with my current employer.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

BizarroAzrael posted:

.Edit: good episode of Would I Lie To You tonight, particularly enjoyed Bob Mortimer talking about splitting apples with his bare hands, whilst David Mitchell quizzed him on thumb positioning.
The highlight was Greg Davies's expression when Bob actually did it.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Chumpion posted:

BBC4 is showing a Manilow concert at the moment. You are right though, I'm learning a lot.

Mainly involving my own sexuality mind..

BBC4's pop music output is a bit slapdash compared to their other stuff. It's like: and here's a load of random 70s clips from the archives that we forgot to record over. Have fun!

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Al2001 posted:

BBC4's pop music output is a bit slapdash compared to their other stuff. It's like: and here's a load of random 70s clips from the archives that we forgot to record over. Have fun!

Luckily one of those was an awesome half-hour-long live performance of Tubular Bells.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

HoldYourFire posted:

Luckily one of those was an awesome half-hour-long live performance of Tubular Bells.

That sounds awesome. Just part 1, I assume? Although live piltdown man would be hilarious to see.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

That sounds awesome. Just part 1, I assume? Although live piltdown man would be hilarious to see.

It's this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9A60e16SvM

It has 15 dislikes. From the comments:

quote:

theres tubular bells...then theres the 15 tubular bellends!....you clearly dont appreciate pure and real music.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Guys, did any of you happen to catch the Graham Norton Show with Will Smith? :stare:

The highlight is... well you have to see it, honestly:

BBC iPlayer link here.

Skip to 26 minutes in, that's the highlight right there. Spoilers if you don't want to look at the video first: Will Smith raps the Fresh Prince theme.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

incredible bear posted:

The highlight was Greg Davies's expression when Bob actually did it.

For me, Would I lie To You is far and away the best panel show on TV. I usually find Lee Mack's humour a bit too old school, but the chemistry between him, Rob Brydon and David Mitchell is just perfect. Nothing amuses me more than over the top digs about David Mitchell's posh up bringing.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

7seven7 posted:

For me, Would I lie To You is far and away the best panel show on TV. I usually find Lee Mack's humour a bit too old school, but the chemistry between him, Rob Brydon and David Mitchell is just perfect. Nothing amuses me more than over the top digs about David Mitchell's posh up bringing.

I would agree with this. Even though I still love HIGNFY, Would I Lie to You overtook it a while back as the best panel show. They look like they are genuinely having fun while making it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I agree too. I was genuinely shocked when Bob Mortimer could actually do that with an apple. Also I love Greg Davies and I think he should be on all the time.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Xachariah posted:

Guys, did any of you happen to catch the Graham Norton Show with Will Smith? :stare:

BBC iPlayer link here.

Skip to 26 minutes in, that's the highlight right there. Spoilers if you don't want to look at the video first: Will Smith raps the Fresh Prince theme.
Im not sure if that was rather heartwarming or utterly horrible. Its a weird combination of the two.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

7seven7 posted:

It's very dependent on the guest of the week, but generally yeah I agree with you. I love it when Brydon does an impression and then says who he's doing, or just looks at the camera. He's probably the best panel host on TV.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 19, 2012

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Xachariah posted:

BBC iPlayer link here.

Poor Tom Jones. That was the most awkard thing.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

They look like they are genuinely having fun while making it.

This is pretty much what does it for me. There was an episode I saw recently where Mack, Mitchell and Brydon mentioned that they'd all hung out together outside of work. I couldn't really say why, but this pleased me immensely.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

7seven7 posted:

I like when Lee "accidentally" undermines himself during the guest rounds by saying stuff to his team-mates that show he's lied. Or when he gets something he knows he can't be convincing about and just talks bollocks.

In contrast, on this week's I was very impressed by Richard Osman apparently bluffing on his knowledge and devotion to Snoop Dogg.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

In contrast, on this week's I was very impressed by Richard Osman apparently bluffing on his knowledge and devotion to Snoop Dogg.

The Chronic line was amazing.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
Would I Lie To You? is a great panel show. It doesn't have the satire of HIGNFY, the forced edginess of Buzzcocks or the ineffable smugness of QI. It relies on simple humour and banter between the regulars that stems from 3 blokes who seem to genuinely like each other.

Lee Mack's humour is certainly old-school, but his quickness of wit makes up for it. He's never lost for words and always has a comeback for anything that gets thrown at him. His burns against Mitchell's posh boy background are fantastic. David Mitchell plays his part brilliantly as the intelligent, slightly-aloof nerdy one continually bemused and angry at a pop-culture world he doesn't understand. He's pretty much a goon with the ability to channel his emotions into hilarious diatribes. I've not been a fan of Rob Brydon in the few other things I've seen him in, but he's an excellent host able to ad-lib and play the teams off against each other.

My favourite moment from recent series has been the Cuddle Jumper. It's completely dumb slapstick comedy, but worth watching from the start just to see David Mitchell cracking up around 1m55s; losing his cynical demeanour and laughing hysterically at the sight of two men jostling around inside a giant sweater.

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!
Lee Mack is an enigma as he strikes me as someone I should surely dislike and everything he does as I'm a young lower-middle class studenty snob. He's so old school, makes a three camera paint by numbers sitcom and largely avoids the tropes of cynical modern comedians. But he's genuinely a beautiful treasure, everything he does, including the sitcom are remarkably enjoyable and just go to show it's not always the production or intelligence of a comedian or comedy that make them great but the sheer quickness and wit of the writing that can elevate them to greatness.

Was watching him a few weeks ago with my mother, old aunt and younger cousin (party time) and when you've got every demographic in the room laughing at the same time you know you're doing something really special.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Lee mack.flv

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Ahhhhh http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a382383/armando-iannucci-weve-written-seven-new-thick-of-it-episodes.html

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Snoop did actually play at the HMV Forum in Kentish Town last year!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

tentish klown posted:

Snoop did actually play at the HMV Forum in Kentish Town last year!

Maybe he did actually go then, Chronic was also one of his first works.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.
I agree with what people are saying about WILTY. I think it's definitely the best panel show on TV, and one of the best comedy-entertainment shows that's currently on.

The difference between it and HIGNFY is that while HIGNFY can be funny, the humour now tends to originate with the guests. If there's a good guest/guest host, then the regulars are good at playing off them, but if the guests aren't especially interesting then it tends to descend into 'look at this video/picture we found on the internet!' The last properly funny episode of HIGNFY I can remember was the one after the 2010 election with Lembit Opik, and that was good because Lembit Opik turned out to be genuinely amusing.

WILTY on the other hand is good even if the guests aren't great, because the regulars are still really fresh. In fact, I'd say the majority of the funniest stuff originates with David Mitchell.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
He's clarified the situation since on twitter saying that he is indeed a snoop dog fan.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
I love David Mitchell as much as the next person but on WILTY he generally just does his incredulous-questioning schtick, it's Lee Mack's jibes and quips that elevate the *shudder* banter (also Brydon to spur them both on). It's basically HIGNFY 2.0 in terms of its dynamic, best thing that ever happened to both shows was getting rid of Angus hah.

text
Mar 12, 2011
Yeah the chemistry between the 3 is what makes the show, but Lee Mack is the key one out of the 3. I think you could replace Mitchell for another standard middle class/moany type and Rob Brydon with a slick/funny host, but I don't think you could quite replace Lee Mack on it.

I miss Angus on HIGNFY (I know he couldn't really continue, considering what happened), saw some from about a decade ago on Dave and it was so much better. Although I think a lot of this is down to Merton appearing to not really be trying anymore and it generally being a tired, repetitive format. Best thing would be for Boris to have lost the London Mayoral election and to have him as perma host(thus making the show funnier and removing him from politics altogether).

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Good chemistry is the most important ingredient for a great panel show, for me. There was a time earlier in the last decade when They Think It's All Over used to get around ten million viewers a week because the chemistry between Nick Hancock, Jonathan Ross, Rory McGrath, David Gower and Gary Lineker made it one of the funniest panel shows ever.

These days Never Mind The Buzzcocks ranges from painfully unfunny to, occasionally, quite funny depending on whether their guest host is a good comedian (Adam Buxton, Greg Davies, etc.) or an awkward, self-obsessed musician (Will Young, Alice Cooper and... well pretty much every musician type that's hosted the programme).

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Quanta posted:

an awkward, self-obsessed musician... Alice Cooper

Oh come on, that one had his story about meeting Elvis. "A little devil on my shoulder said 'Shoot him.' And the little angel on the other shoulder said 'Don't kill him, just wound him.'"

Leonard Pine
Apr 20, 2008

Quanta posted:

These days Never Mind The Buzzcocks ranges from painfully unfunny to, occasionally, quite funny depending on whether their guest host is a good comedian (Adam Buxton, Greg Davies, etc.) or an awkward, self-obsessed musician (Will Young, Alice Cooper and... well pretty much every musician type that's hosted the programme).

The nadir was David Hasselhoff. At this point I wish they'd either hire a reliably funny host or just pack it in.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Will HIGNFY reach it's 30th birthday?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Alice Cooper was great as the host on Buzzcocks. He was also one of the best castaways on Desert Island Discs in the last couple of years. He just comes across as a really nice guy who doesn't take anything seriously and has enough anecdotes to sink a battleship.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I've started to actively dislike Paul Merton in everything he's in, HIGNFY, Just a Minute etc. He just seems to be so smug and overtly self-assured that he's the funniest bastard in the room it really puts me off.
The only thing I've seen Merton in recently where I didn't hate him, was a sketch in a Charlie Brooker thing, or during Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle (I'e forgotten) where he takes the piss out of those documentaries that he did about silent comedy. It was a strange moment of self-awareness.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I sort of know what you mean, he often seems to be coasting along nowadays. But I saw his live show a few weeks ago and he came across as genuinely pleasant and very funny. Maybe the problem is that he's too comfortable, and just hasn't been putting the effort in on his regular stuff ?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

I've started to actively dislike Paul Merton in everything he's in, HIGNFY, Just a Minute etc. He just seems to be so smug and overtly self-assured that he's the funniest bastard in the room it really puts me off.

I agree. It's kind of jarring to me; the audience of HIGNFY and other contestants always act like what he says is the funniest thing ever. Meanwhile, I'm mystified.

I'm assuming that it's due to BBC editing. Editors of most BBC programmes are basically hyperactive schizophrenics with reaction shot fetishes. There are absurd amount of quick cuts, disjointed reactions and excessive use of reaction shots in BBC produced works.

You hardly ever see Merton before or after he makes a joke, because before the joke they use wide shots and after the joke they use reaction shots (of everyone else laughing). He's probably miming or using a facial expressions, which would help sell the jokes.

BBC editing really gets on my nerves. What is with their love of sub single second scenes?

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I watched a recording of Just A Minute and at least then, there was little miming or face-pulling.

I get what you mean about the editing though, might be to create "Youtube moments" as the BBC account on there was a huge array of >minute long clips from their panel shows.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Merton, at least on HIGNFY, seems to very much be in a comfortable groove where he knows whatever poo poo he says will get a laugh as long as it's absurd or random or whatever because that's become his Thing. Every now and then he'll come out with something golden though, but it's getting rarer.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Merton checked out of Have I got news for you yearrrrrs ago. It's a real shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I remember there was an episode in the last series where in the entire half hour, I think they included one contribution from Merton, and it was just him commenting on someone else's joke.

It's a little similar to how Alan Davies got on QI, as well, where it did seem to just be a matter of picking up a paycheck and coasting.