Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spagett
Feb 24, 2012

DrDork posted:

If you've already tried the un-stick programs, you can try gently massaging it with your finger and a clean cloth. If that doesn't work you're pretty much SOL.

Thanks, already tried all that. At least it's a fairly cheap monitor that I can replace if I get too annoyed by it, might even try one of those Korean IPS displays if my graphics card can handle my games on ultra on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

can anyone recommend a monitor mount that isn't terrible like the braktek? Or is it just the $250AUD ergotron or bust?

I really liked how the braktek could move out towards you a long way, so the donut pole style mounts aren't as appealing.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

MeruFM posted:

And you must be using mac.
The font rendering on Windows look more or less identical on my old 24" 1920x1200, new 27" 2560x1440, and my 14" 1280x800 laptop

However, the 27" imac at work is a world of difference next to the 13" macbook pro I take home.
Mac font rendering can suck my balls. I'll be switching to the new high-res laptops as soon as they come out. Reading on these macbooks give me eyestrain and headaches.

See, and I'm the opposite. I installed MacType on my Windows box to make the fonts not look like rear end to me.

It's subjective I guess.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
Just a heads up but Microcenter is selling cheap 2560x1440 monitors for $400. If you want warranty, its probably easier to deal with Microcenter than some eBay seller from another country.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Chafe posted:

Just a heads up but Microcenter is selling cheap 2560x1440 monitors for $400. If you want warranty, its probably easier to deal with Microcenter than some eBay seller from another country.

It also has speakers and displayport (w audio working via DP), according to people on OCN. People with the PCBANK PB2700 super say the stand looks the same as that one, as well.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1257538/microcenter-now-carrying-the-27-2560x1440-korean-ips-monitors/70

Even with shipping (drat you MC for not building in OR), it's cheaper than the Crossover 2720MDP (the one with multiple inputs) and has warranty.

I'm still curious about the LG IPS4 series and if they'll also have cheap WQHD monitors in that lineup.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
Just got my Catleap in today. Spent a few minutes loving around with the DVI ports on my 6870 since only one is dual link. Managed to get a dual display set up with it and my previous 1920x1080 screen and the difference is mindblowing.

The stand is kinda lovely and it will be a pain in the rear end to swap it out anyway since the top of the stand is built into the display. but honestly I don't mind it. Unless it snaps off on me.

Also not a single dead or stuck pixel anywhere as far as I can see. It's loving beautiful.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Chafe posted:

£250 for a 1440? Christ what a deal! The cheapest no-brand in the UK is about £400-450 ($700), and at those prices I might as well shell out an extra £50-£100 for a Dell or a Samsung.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

ijyt posted:

£250 for a 1440? Christ what a deal! The cheapest no-brand in the UK is about £400-450 ($700), and at those prices I might as well shell out an extra £50-£100 for a Dell or a Samsung.

You can buy a Catleap or Shimian or whatever on ebay.co.uk just like you can on US ebay; it looks like they start around £200. The sellers don't care; they're shipping out of South Korea either way.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

You can buy a Catleap or Shimian or whatever on ebay.co.uk just like you can on US ebay; it looks like they start around £200. The sellers don't care; they're shipping out of South Korea either way.

:doh:

The issue with that though is RMA shipping costs and my general dislike of imports, as asinine as that may be. The price can't be argued with though, but I'm still dubious of the overall build quality.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

ijyt posted:

The issue with that though is RMA shipping costs and my general dislike of imports, as asinine as that may be. The price can't be argued with though, but I'm still dubious of the overall build quality.

I'm not sure what RMA means but they ship for free everywhere, not just the US. I've looked into this a little bit and it seems all you have to pay are customs fees, at least here in mainland europe.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I'm not sure what RMA means but they ship for free everywhere, not just the US. I've looked into this a little bit and it seems all you have to pay are customs fees, at least here in mainland europe.

Return Merchandise Authorization, returning a product if it has a fault for it to be repaired or replaced.

Overseas sellers usually have the buyer pay for shipping back to Korea, assuming that the product they bought even has a warranty with it. A lot don't.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

ijyt posted:

Admittedly you have little hope of returning it, but shipping is included in the £200 pricetag and first-hand reports are overwhelmingly positive vis a vis quality. Each to their own though.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ijyt posted:

Return Merchandise Authorization, returning a product if it has a fault for it to be repaired or replaced.

Overseas sellers usually have the buyer pay for shipping back to Korea, assuming that the product they bought even has a warranty with it. A lot don't.

Which is why I actually bought the SquareTrade warranty with mine even though I generally don't like extended warranties much. Dealing with SquareTrade seems easier than an overseas seller.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I've been lovin' my Shimian. No problems whatsoever, got here in 3 days, and great customer service. But if you don't want to throw the dice, the Microcenter ones are the same panels as the eBay versions. And although they are $100 more expensive, you do get more connectivity options than the base Korea-specials.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Shame that the bezel is so ugly on that Microcenter deal.

I am happy with my matte screen Catleap. Having to replace the lovely stand is offset by the joy of being lucky enough to get a non-glossy screen.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I got my Shimian today and it's awesome. The stand is not too bad, actually. And I paid an extra $40 or whatever to get a "perfect pixel" version so I have no dead or stuck pixels, either.

One weird thing is is I adjust any color/brightness/contrast settings it seems to automatically snap back to whatever default settings it has. Not sure why or how that works; I'll have to explore. It looks fine and I don't do any color sensitive professional work or anything so it's not really a problem at the moment.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
For people looking for a great 23" monitor, Amazon has the U2312HM for $250 shipped, which is $50 less than from Dell

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rashomon posted:

I got my Shimian today and it's awesome. The stand is not too bad, actually. And I paid an extra $40 or whatever to get a "perfect pixel" version so I have no dead or stuck pixels, either.

One weird thing is is I adjust any color/brightness/contrast settings it seems to automatically snap back to whatever default settings it has. Not sure why or how that works; I'll have to explore. It looks fine and I don't do any color sensitive professional work or anything so it's not really a problem at the moment.

Just adjust the colors on the display menu for your video card.

FlashingLights
Jul 16, 2004

You! You know what dog food tastes like? Do you? It tastes just like it smells... Delicious!

DrDork posted:

For people looking for a great 23" monitor, Amazon has the U2312HM for $250 shipped, which is $50 less than from Dell

Mine just came in from Dell Canada for $189. I'm guessing Dell USA will have a comparable sale at some point.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Animal posted:

Additional to this - Windows 7 has a nifty calibration tool built in.
Just hit the start menu and start typing "cali" and you'll see "Calibrate Display Color".

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I feel faintly ridiculous asking this question, but can someone recommend me a DisplayPort cable that definitely fits in a U2412M (that I can order in the UK)? I got one but there's a really chunky plastic housing round the connector that butts up against the plastic surround on the ports on the back of the monitor, and stop it going in far enough to work.

I would just look myself but I seem to be cursed - the first one I ordered, the idiots sent me a HDMI cable instead, and the second one is this non-fitting monstrosity.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

chippy posted:

I feel faintly ridiculous asking this question, but can someone recommend me a DisplayPort cable that definitely fits in a U2412M (that I can order in the UK)? I got one but there's a really chunky plastic housing round the connector that butts up against the plastic surround on the ports on the back of the monitor, and stop it going in far enough to work.

Assuming you're never gonna see it, grab some sandpaper and go nuts.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

coffeetable posted:

Assuming you're never gonna see it, grab some a Dremel and go nuts.

Sorted that for you.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Animal posted:

I tried this already; I get the same "snap back to default" thing.

HalloKitty posted:

Additional to this - Windows 7 has a nifty calibration tool built in.
Just hit the start menu and start typing "cali" and you'll see "Calibrate Display Color".

Tried this too; the same. Anyone else know why this might be happening?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
Do you happen to use f.lux?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Space Gopher posted:

Don't know about him but I do and I have the same problem. I'm guessing f.lux just overwrites the win7 calibration automatically or something?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Chafe posted:

Sold out in a matter of hours, hope they come back in stock because I'm all over this poo poo :ohdear:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Don't know about him but I do and I have the same problem. I'm guessing f.lux just overwrites the win7 calibration automatically or something?

Basically, yes. f.lux and calibration work against each other. The point of f.lux is to change your color temperature throughout the day, to approximate ambient light. The point of calibration is to keep colors consistent and predictable. You'll need to pick one or the other. f.lux has a temporary disable function, but if it's active then you're not calibrated more or less by definition.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Space Gopher posted:

Basically, yes. f.lux and calibration work against each other. The point of f.lux is to change your color temperature throughout the day, to approximate ambient light. The point of calibration is to keep colors consistent and predictable. You'll need to pick one or the other. f.lux has a temporary disable function, but if it's active then you're not calibrated more or less by definition.

Yea I figured as much, guess the only way around it is to do some hardware calibration, that should give you some decent "standard" settings for during the day when f.lux is inactive.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Yea I figured as much, guess the only way around it is to do some hardware calibration, that should give you some decent "standard" settings for during the day when f.lux is inactive.

f.lux is always active (at least when it's loaded and not disabled).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I realize it's always active but I never really noticed it doing much during the day, it's only when the sun goes down that the colors get warmer. Does it actually go the opposite way during the day, ie make the colors cooler than they'd normally be? I always thought during the day was no change to what the colors would be without f.lux.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I realize it's always active but I never really noticed it doing much during the day, it's only when the sun goes down that the colors get warmer. Does it actually go the opposite way during the day, ie make the colors cooler than they'd normally be? I always thought during the day was no change to what the colors would be without f.lux.

The day and night color temperatures are user-configurable. (After all, 6500K is still bluer than the Sun (5500K).) Also so is when 'day' and 'night' happen, via lat/long.

There won't be a change at 6500K vs disabled, but I'd be surprised if f.lux didn't set a 'no change' profile anyway.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Yay my monitor cleared customs :toot:

I hope these Korean services deliver on Saturday :ohdear: I guess it's going through UPS so maybe?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

You should set your color temp to be the same as daylight and get daylight balanced light bulbs for your workspace.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Space Gopher posted:

f.lux was causing the "can't adjust color" problem for me as well.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Doesn't the "disable for an hour" option work?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Remove f.lux from boot (msconfig) and try again, I've had more than a few issues with that program messing with color profiles and settings.

While it works as advertised on a single, non-calibrated monitor, it isn't aware of existing color profiles at all, and instead just overwrites them - making it completely useless on a multi-monitor setup if you don't have identical monitors.

It also "unsticks" the windows calibration profiles per monitor, so you have to re-apply the color profiles after you play any fullscreen game. Joy.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
If I overclock an overclockable Catleap, will I be able to run nVidia 3D stuff on it?

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
I come with warning, bent pins are a STD. Somewhere along the way, I bent a pin on one of my DVI cables, which when plugged into my video card damaged the DVI connector. I didn't notice it because it was in the dual-link section and therefore not used. However, my video card's damaged DVI connector bent the pins in every cable connected to it, which caused more broken connectors. The bottom line, one bent pin can ruin 3 cables, 3 DVI connectors and cause you to have to fix another. CHECK YOUR CABLES FOR BENT PINS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Space Gopher posted:

I do, and I was smart enough to "disable for an hour" before testing. But not smart enough to try closing the program completely before testing, and sure enough, that fixed the problem. Guess I am saying goodbye to f.lux, since this Korean monitor looks significantly better now that I've calibrated it slightly (even just eyeballing it).