Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I just got the sprint galaxy nexus and I am mainly looking for root for tethering, titanium backup, etc.Anyone know if the phone has been rooted yet?

Edit: does this look correct:

http://androidforums.com/sprint-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/547218-how-root-sprint-galaxy-nexus-dummies-windows-mac-linux.html

I don't see why this wouldn't do it in a much easier fashion. It's how I rooted my Verizon GNex and it was literally just press button, follow occasional instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'm trying to root a nook color 1.4.2 and the first step requires a bootable recovery sd card. I'm following the directions of this page http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-...-22-2012-a.html

but it doesn't work. I've even tried using a mac, 4 different sd cards and 2 different windows 7 machines. How can I get this loving thing to work?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deadwing posted:

I don't see why this wouldn't do it in a much easier fashion. It's how I rooted my Verizon GNex and it was literally just press button, follow occasional instructions.
While you're right, there is something to be said doing all the steps manually so you know what exactly is being done.

Edit:

Remember a bit back when were talking about how CM9 was coming along? Well aside from the constant wifi drops I mentioned, I came across this today in the xda thread on it:

xda posted:

This may already be known but 911 does not work on one of the nightlies (perhaps the newest one too). I was robbed yesterday (my other galaxy nexus was stolen) as well as a Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket. I tried calling 911 but my phone would not dial out to emergency services. It said "Call Failed" with no ring and 55 seconds on the call time. I tried this about nine times before I went into a target and used their phone. My phone calls everyone else fine. I just tried again and it still does this.

My Gnex is running May 8th's nightly. Luckily I was not bleeding out or anything, but this might need to be fixed. Still love the ROM and all the developers who work on it.
Sounds like daily driver material to me.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 17, 2012

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

deadwing posted:

I did it the way Duckman posted first, then had an update that unrooted it I guess, and just did again today using this tool, and it all went smoothly.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Good news for people using second generation MSM chipsets.

Though this is a couple months old, it seems that Quaalcom has released universal ICS drivers for the Adreno 2xx series GPU module. Both arm V6 and 7 are supported.

source

This gives me great hope for improvements towards implementing full hardware acceleration on ICS roms. Though I cannot speak for other MSM based phones, for the G2 we're looking at only needing (official) camera drivers and a fix for something having to do with webkit implementation to finally hit primetime ICS roms.

AOPK has been unofficially ported over and is being actively maintained. Andromadaus ICS has nightlies going as well, though it's still in beta.

Patience is definitely paying off. I've been prodding the AOPK maintainer for information and from what I can tell if you're willing to use Opera Mobile, his rom is pretty much a daily driver. Camera works (not sure about video), gps works, no wifi hiccups, mobile data is functioning..

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Sounds like daily driver material to me.
There's a troubling saga I could get into about CM and 911 support. The short of it is that some devices use a separate RIL request for dialing emergency numbers instead of regular numbers. Given that these very devices have funky RILs for other reasons, and CM's support of them is reverse engineered, it's a recipe for disaster. Back when Samsung 911 issues were discovered on the Vibrant and CDMA devices last year, it's become more-or-less policy for CM device maintainers to test 911 support whenever there's significant changes to the RIL.

However this particular circumstance is strange. The GSM Galaxy Nexus is one of the few devices where emergency dialing support should always work, since that code comes straight from AOSP and is never modified. Also, emergency dialing typically fails at the RIL level, which is instantaneous. The fact that it took 55 seconds for the call to fail suggests there may have been a network/signal issue, so it's unclear CM has anything to do with this.

In any event, CM takes emergency call issues pretty seriously. I'm sure the maguro maintainers will be testing shortly if they haven't already.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's a troubling saga I could get into about CM and 911 support. The short of it is that some devices use a separate RIL request for dialing emergency numbers instead of regular numbers. Given that these very devices have funky RILs for other reasons, and CM's support of them is reverse engineered, it's a recipe for disaster. Back when Samsung 911 issues were discovered on the Vibrant and CDMA devices last year, it's become more-or-less policy for CM device maintainers to test 911 support whenever there's significant changes to the RIL.

However this particular circumstance is strange. The GSM Galaxy Nexus is one of the few devices where emergency dialing support should always work, since that code comes straight from AOSP and is never modified. Also, emergency dialing typically fails at the RIL level, which is instantaneous. The fact that it took 55 seconds for the call to fail suggests there may have been a network/signal issue, so it's unclear CM has anything to do with this.

In any event, CM takes emergency call issues pretty seriously. I'm sure the maguro maintainers will be testing shortly if they haven't already.
Another poster further down tried it and said it failed instantly for him.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I finally rooted the nook and I'm trying to install facebook on it but when I search the google play store, I can't find it. Is there a way to manually download the package file? I have a phone with root explorer that has facebook but I don't know how to find the path that has the package installer.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

I finally rooted the nook and I'm trying to install facebook on it but when I search the google play store, I can't find it. Is there a way to manually download the package file? I have a phone with root explorer that has facebook but I don't know how to find the path that has the package installer.
Depending on the device, it's in /system/app or /data/app.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
How exactly do you test 911 functionality? I can't really imagine "Hey sorry I was just testing my recompiled RIL" would go over too well with any dispatcher.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

SeaborneClink posted:

How exactly do you test 911 functionality? I can't really imagine "Hey sorry I was just testing my recompiled RIL" would go over too well with any dispatcher.

You call the local/non-emergency number (listed in the phone book) and ask for permission. You also have to schedule an exact time for the test call.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FlyingCheese posted:

You call the local/non-emergency number (listed in the phone book) and ask for permission. You also have to schedule an exact time for the test call.

It's not even that bad in most areas. I install phone systems for a living and thus end up having to test 911 every now and then. While I always call the relevant nonemergency number first, more often than not I get told to just call and tell them it's a test.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SeaborneClink posted:

I can't really imagine "Hey sorry I was just testing my recompiled RIL" would go over too well with any dispatcher.
That amount of detail isn't necessary. If they even ask, you can say "to test phone software" or something like that.

Also, aside from the technobable, why wouldn't it go over well? If you haven't noticed, Android phones are buggy pieces of poo poo. Some of the folks who contribute to CM are qualified software engineers, the more testing and bugs they can fix, the better off everyone is.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

SeaborneClink posted:

911 operator: d00d you really need to use the search button and you'd see Reverend tWeAkeR 420s RIL already has this solved.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Hey man, tWeAkeR is an Elite Registered Developer, he knows his poo poo.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
So I'm at 244 megabytes used and 101 megabytes free on my phone. I feel like this is still a bit high for used even with several apps download, the highest being Facebook's fatass taking up 20.70 itsself.

My ROM came debloated and whatnot but I feel like there is still more poo poo hanging on. Am I just crazy?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I can't connect my rooted Eee Transformer to my Windows 7 machine. It recognizes that it gets power from any USB port, but nothing shows up under device manager. I found drivers on ASUS's website, but none of them are installable, and since the tablet doesn't show up in Device Manager as anything, I can't install drivers that way. What's going on?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

hooah posted:

I can't connect my rooted Eee Transformer to my Windows 7 machine. It recognizes that it gets power from any USB port, but nothing shows up under device manager. I found drivers on ASUS's website, but none of them are installable, and since the tablet doesn't show up in Device Manager as anything, I can't install drivers that way. What's going on?

I had that same problem with several other issues tacked onto it. Try flashing another rom to see if that fixes it. I had to go through a ton of hoops because I wasn't able to flash a new rom nor revert to a backup.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MeinGott posted:

So I'm at 244 megabytes used and 101 megabytes free on my phone. I feel like this is still a bit high for used even with several apps download, the highest being Facebook's fatass taking up 20.70 itsself.

My ROM came debloated and whatnot but I feel like there is still more poo poo hanging on. Am I just crazy?
What device?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That amount of detail isn't necessary. If they even ask, you can say "to test phone software" or something like that.

Also, aside from the technobable, why wouldn't it go over well? If you haven't noticed, Android phones are buggy pieces of poo poo. Some of the folks who contribute to CM are qualified software engineers, the more testing and bugs they can fix, the better off everyone is.

You should call your PSAP, schedule a 911 test call, then call at that time and if you want you can ask for your geolocation just to make sure your phone knows where you are when you call 911.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

LastInLine posted:

What device?

The Regal and Glorious Pantech Breakout.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Hey, folks, I'm new to rooting and could use some advice.

I have a Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S i897) running the current stock ROM of Android 2.3. I'm getting some bad stability problems and lock-ups, and I'm looking to replace it with a more up-to-date custom ROM. I've got some questions:

1) Is CyanogenMod still a go-to custom ROM? Can I expect it (or any custom ROM) to be more stable than stock, or is that wishful thinking?

2) I've checked out the OP and Googled around trying to root the phone, but the tools in the OP seem to lock up on my computer (specifically adb.exe, Win7 x64, if that's important) or completely fail to root the phone. The CyanogenMod guide doesn't cover rooting, so I'm at a loss. How can I root this thing?

3) Will there be any problems accessing Google Play or anysuch? Or will it be "everything I'm used to plus more/better"?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Factory Factory posted:

Hey, folks, I'm new to rooting and could use some advice.

I have a Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S i897) running the current stock ROM of Android 2.3. I'm getting some bad stability problems and lock-ups, and I'm looking to replace it with a more up-to-date custom ROM. I've got some questions:

1) Is CyanogenMod still a go-to custom ROM? Can I expect it (or any custom ROM) to be more stable than stock, or is that wishful thinking?

2) I've checked out the OP and Googled around trying to root the phone, but the tools in the OP seem to lock up on my computer (specifically adb.exe, Win7 x64, if that's important) or completely fail to root the phone. The CyanogenMod guide doesn't cover rooting, so I'm at a loss. How can I root this thing?

3) Will there be any problems accessing Google Play or anysuch? Or will it be "everything I'm used to plus more/better"?

1) Pretty much, though there's plenty of choice. AOKP is also a good one. Basically go for whatever seems best for you based on browsing forums such as XDA. The ROMs by the bigger names (AOKP, Cyanogen, Virtuous, etc.) are generally pretty steady in their RC or better states and even if there are bugs, there are usually pretty simple solutions/workarounds.

2)Rooting Samsung phones is a bit different to others as there's no real block against rooting. You basically use Samsung's own software to flash a ROM with SU access. This should steer you straight. Once you've finished that you'll have a stock but rooted ROM and then you can just flash whatever one you want via clockworkmod.

3) No, most ROMs come with the so-called Gapps (Market, etc.), and even if they don't they're on the cyanogenmod site as a zip you flash via clockworkmod.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Experto Crede posted:

2)Rooting Samsung phones is a bit different to others as there's no real block against rooting. You basically use Samsung's own software to flash a ROM with SU access. This should steer you straight. Once you've finished that you'll have a stock but rooted ROM and then you can just flash whatever one you want via clockworkmod.

Well, that didn't work for no good reason. The program flashed some kind of warning about a missing .ini file and exited without doing anything. However, the Z4root method here was able to do it, I think.

Proceeding on... Thanks.

E: Well, not only was that a colossal loving failure at actually rooting, but now Play locks up when trying to install apps and the Task Manager crashes. What the hell have I gotten myself into? :ughh:

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 20, 2012

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Factory Factory posted:

Well, that didn't work for no good reason. The program flashed some kind of warning about a missing .ini file and exited without doing anything. However, the Z4root method here was able to do it, I think.

Proceeding on... Thanks.

E: Well, not only was that a colossal loving failure at actually rooting, but now Play locks up when trying to install apps and the Task Manager crashes. What the hell have I gotten myself into? :ughh:

I don't trust Z4root and its one touch root apps much, they often cause issues. Don't worry though, it's unlikely you've caused any permanent damage.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the exact error odin gave? If you don't have much luck, you can try Heimdall, an open-source alternative available here. The basic process of flashing via that guide is the same.

And, on behalf of all of us, let me welcome you to the world of rooting :can:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It dropped this one my US/English rear end:

Fun side note, I decided to go to AT&T's upgrade site to see if I could get a nice non-suck replacement phone, and the site errors out when I'm checking my eligibility.

This is not my night for phones. :downsgun:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Factory Factory posted:

It dropped this one my US/English rear end:

Fun side note, I decided to go to AT&T's upgrade site to see if I could get a nice non-suck replacement phone, and the site errors out when I'm checking my eligibility.

This is not my night for phones. :downsgun:

Ah, that error. Seems the copy of odin on the site I linked only has odin's exe, not the required ini. Here is a copy that contains both the exe and ini

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
SuperOneClick is now almost working, but it hangs at step 7.

Odin: I have no loving clue how to use Odin to root or flash anything. I did end up overwriting the ROM I downloaded.

Heimdall: I have no idea how to allocate files from the ROM I want to flash to the various partitions. None of the ROMs I liked had a Heimdall package.

I see the Lumia 900 is only $100 on contract...

E: I actually followed the Odin walkthrough this time, and after one semi-brick, it actually flashed. And I'm rooted.

loving a... Thanks for the help with this. It has been a long time since I've felt this useless with gizmos.

E2: I've got a brick with a recovery environment. I can't flash any of the ICS ROMs I've tried and things get stuck in a boot loop. Asserts that check the phone's identification string fail out, and if I disable asserts or remove them from the script, the install errors out with no explanation.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 20, 2012

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Factory Factory posted:

SuperOneClick is now almost working, but it hangs at step 7.

Odin: I have no loving clue how to use Odin to root or flash anything. I did end up overwriting the ROM I downloaded.

Heimdall: I have no idea how to allocate files from the ROM I want to flash to the various partitions. None of the ROMs I liked had a Heimdall package.

I see the Lumia 900 is only $100 on contract...

E: I actually followed the Odin walkthrough this time, and after one semi-brick, it actually flashed. And I'm rooted.

loving a... Thanks for the help with this. It has been a long time since I've felt this useless with gizmos.

E2: I've got a brick with a recovery environment. I can't flash any of the ICS ROMs I've tried and things get stuck in a boot loop. Asserts that check the phone's identification string fail out, and if I disable asserts or remove them from the script, the install errors out with no explanation.

Could be that you have an outdated version of clockworkmod. Do you have a nandroid backup of your old ROM? If so, restore it, and install ROM Manager, which will flash the latest clockworkmod for you.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Who knows when I'll actually recieve the EVO 4G LTE I preordered, but apparently the RUU of the stock ROM has already leaked, so hopefully there will be a rooted stock ROM ready before the phone gets released from customs (next week? June? a month after the iPhone 5 comes out? never?)

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Experto Crede posted:

Could be that you have an outdated version of clockworkmod. Do you have a nandroid backup of your old ROM? If so, restore it, and install ROM Manager, which will flash the latest clockworkmod for you.

The steps I've taken have blurred together. I ended up getting stuck at the device boot screen, and the emergency recovery mode couldn't mount anything. At this point I'm flashing a stock ROM, which failed the first time but allowed me to get into "soft brick" mode, at least, so the second try worked.

Time to start all over again! Root, recovery, flash.

E: Here's what's probably the problem: When I open ROM manager and start to flash Clockwork Recovery, it asks to confirm the system model, and none of them are right. I get Nexus S, Nexus S 4G, Epic 4G, or Galaxy S i9000. Nothing for a Captivate/i897.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 20, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

When I open ROM manager and start to flash Clockwork Recovery, it asks to confirm the system model, and none of them are right.
I don't waste time with ROM Manager, but if it is there, it would be "Captivate (MTD)".

In any event, you only need to install ClockworkMod temporarily to flash CM the first time. Samsung CM ROMs come with their own recovery, so the version you temporarily install shouldn't matter. Full install instructions are here. But what you probably need is this kernel image, flashable in the PDA slot of Odin. Then boot recovery and install the latest CM7 or CM9 nightly captivatemtd build.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I don't waste time with ROM Manager, but if it is there, it would be "Captivate (MTD)".

In any event, you only need to install ClockworkMod temporarily to flash CM the first time. Samsung CM ROMs come with their own recovery, so the version you temporarily install shouldn't matter. Full install instructions are here. But what you probably need is this kernel image, flashable in the PDA slot of Odin. Then boot recovery and install the latest CM7 or CM9 nightly captivatemtd build.

I've got that flashed. I've done every step in the guide after this point to flash a ROM. The problem is, each ROM I try to flash errors out:

quote:

-- Installing: /sdcard/Gummy_captivatemtd-Release-1.2.0.zip
Finding update package...
ev.type: 1, ev.code: 74, ev.value: 0
I:Update location: /sdcard/Gummy_captivatemtd-Release-1.2.0.zip
Opening update package...
Installing update...
script aborted: assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "captivate" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "captivate" ||
getprop("ro.product.device") == "captivatemtd" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "captivatemtd" ||
getprop("ro.product.device") == "SGH-I896" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "SGH-I896" ||
getprop("ro.product.device") == "SGH-I897" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "SGH-I897"
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "captivate" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "captivate" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "captivatemtd" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "captivatemtd" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "SGH-I896" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "SGH-I896" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "SGH-I897" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "SGH-I897"
E:Error in /sdcard/Gummy_captivatemtd-Release-1.2.0.zip

quote:

-- Installing: /sdcard/zSimplyAOKP4_StockTheme.zip
ev.type: 1, ev.code: 74, ev.value: 0
Finding update package...
I:Update location: /sdcard/zSimplyAOKP4_StockTheme.zip
Opening update package...
Installing update...
~~~~~~~~SimplyAOKP 4 ODEXED~~~~~~~~~~~~script aborted: assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "captivate" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "captivate" ||
getprop("ro.product.device") == "captivatemtd" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "captivatemtd" ||
getprop("ro.product.device") == "SGH-I896" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "SGH-I896" ||
getprop("ro.product.device") == "SGH-I897" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "SGH-I897"

~~~~~~~~BASED ON AOKP B35~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~FINAL VERSION!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~NOW INSTALLING, PLEASE WAIT~~~~
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "captivate" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "captivate" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "captivatemtd" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "captivatemtd" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "SGH-I896" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "SGH-I896" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "SGH-I897" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "SGH-I897"
E:Error in /sdcard/zSimplyAOKP4_StockTheme.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Googling this Status 7 stuff gets me nothing - a bunch of folks going "Oops, wrong device!" at best, and no answer the rest of the time. If I disable asserts, then the "gummy" ROM errors out the same way anyway, and it errors out with no specific error if I remove the asserts completely. On the SimplyAOKP ROM, some stuff clearly flashes (the kernel screen and recovery mode change), but I get stuck in a boot loop as it errors on completing the flash.

The erroring out includes trying to flash the very newest ClockworkMod Recovery straight off the CwM website.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
You need to flash a recovery that's made for the i897. Not sure why EB linked you the i896 kernel.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Let me clarify: I'm using a kernel from an archive labeled "captivate-recovery-cwm5-kernel.tar" off this CM install guide. If that's not good, what is?

E: Oy, that's the same file. Question still stands, though. Most guides treat the Rogers (i896) and AT&T (i897) Captivates as interchangeable. So what do I use instead?

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 20, 2012

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
What version of stock are you on?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
2.3.whatever is official. It was a KIES image before, now it's a one-click Odin restore. Same problems either way.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Factory Factory posted:

2.3.whatever is official. It was a KIES image before, now it's a one-click Odin restore. Same problems either way.

Do you remember where you downloaded it?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
XDA.

Fun. I went back to that image (again) to try ROM Manager again, and wifi isn't working on this drat thing, and 3G is slow as balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Factory Factory posted:

I've got that flashed. I've done every step in the guide after this point to flash a ROM. The problem is, each ROM I try to flash errors out:

Googling this Status 7 stuff gets me nothing - a bunch of folks going "Oops, wrong device!" at best, and no answer the rest of the time. If I disable asserts, then the "gummy" ROM errors out the same way anyway, and it errors out with no specific error if I remove the asserts completely. On the SimplyAOKP ROM, some stuff clearly flashes (the kernel screen and recovery mode change), but I get stuck in a boot loop as it errors on completing the flash.

The erroring out includes trying to flash the very newest ClockworkMod Recovery straight off the CwM website.

Those look like the errors I used to get trying to flash the Team ICSSGS ROM when that first came out. I read that they updated their script to fix it. I think I got it working before they did by flashing Cyanogen Mod 7 first.

I'd stay away from some of these random ROMs like Gummy or whatever. I'm still running ICSSGS RC4 on mine, even though it hasn't been updated for a while, still runs well. ICSSGS seemed to be one of the better organised initial team efforts to get ICS on the Galaxy S family. I'd see if you can get that or Cyanogen installed, maybe stay away from some of these random other ROMs who knows who those people are, some 13 year olds grabbing bits and pieces from all over the place.

And slow down, take your time, read everything, you sound a bit all over the place at the moment. I know it can be a bit frustrating but the good thing about the Captivate as you've found is it is nigh on unbrickable so get used to the procedures and you'll start to get a handle on it.