Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Worth noting that it's tablet-only:

quote:

Minimum Tablet Requirements:

Android 3.2 (HoneyComb) and newer

Device Type: Android Tablet

Display: 1280 x 800 and above

Orientation: Landscape

Will there be a mobile version?

Perhaps down the road but our focus is 100% on making Chameleon succeed on a tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Kazy posted:

DoubleTwist has lock screen controls on my One X, but it can only access Google Music files that have been cached.
Speaking of which, is DoubleTwist still a battery murdering beast?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

SlayVus posted:

They're looking for $50,000 to test the waters and a minimum of $5 will get you the app when it's released.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gaborvida/chameleon-a-better-home-screen-for-your-android-ta/posts

This is the kind of thing I don't like seeing on Kickstarter.

By that I mean, if Kickstarter didn't exist, these guys might have just decided to go ahead and program this without any backers. They'd offer up a slimmed down free version, and a pay version, and maybe with the money they got from the paid, keep improving upon it and making it great, like LauncherPro, Nova, etc...

But now it almost seems like they feel "entitled" to their money (and a decent amount of it...$50,000 for a tablet-only launcher?) beforehand. I'd hate to see this trend continue for all apps...can you imagine if the guys behind Tasker, PowerAmp, or even something as big as CM decided that they needed money up front before they made their product?

I dunno...I always thought the goal of a lot of android apps, etc... was to make it because you wanted to make it, and hey, if you made some money from it, that's pretty awesome.

But then again, I'm not a programmer, so what the crap do I know?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

This is the kind of thing I don't like seeing on Kickstarter.

By that I mean, if Kickstarter didn't exist, these guys might have just decided to go ahead and program this without any backers. They'd offer up a slimmed down free version, and a pay version, and maybe with the money they got from the paid, keep improving upon it and making it great, like LauncherPro, Nova, etc...

But now it almost seems like they feel "entitled" to their money (and a decent amount of it...$50,000 for a tablet-only launcher?) beforehand. I'd hate to see this trend continue for all apps...can you imagine if the guys behind Tasker, PowerAmp, or even something as big as CM decided that they needed money up front before they made their product?

I dunno...I always thought the goal of a lot of android apps, etc... was to make it because you wanted to make it, and hey, if you made some money from it, that's pretty awesome.

But then again, I'm not a programmer, so what the crap do I know?

A decent programmer can make a lot more money doing work for other platforms. It's a big risk to develop for Android, especially for-pay apps. The piracy rate is incredible, just due to the ease of installing cracked apps.

If I were to approach a major project, I would totally try to get funding beforehand. That kickstarter might end up the largest source of income for the project.

That said, I don't see the appeal of that home screen at all.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Geekner posted:

A decent programmer can make a lot more money doing work for other platforms. It's a big risk to develop for Android, especially for-pay apps. The piracy rate is incredible, just due to the ease of installing cracked apps.

How is it that Google hasn't moved against piracy at this point? And why doesn't every developer move to in-app purchasing, which would seem to be much harder to circumvent for pirates?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

(and a decent amount of it...$50,000 for a tablet-only launcher?)

Note that they say in the blurb "Fifty grand sure is a lot of money. In fact, we have already invested far more than that into Chameleon", so they're actually trying to say it's over $100,000.

Coming at this from AI makes it even funnier. "Over $50K invested!" :rice:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
In a world where pricing an app above 0.99 leads to people 1-starring and hammering out angry HOW DARE YOU RIP ME OFF THIS IS WHY PEOPLE PIRATE poo poo AAAARGH reviews, I'd imagine that downloading a 'free' app only to be presented with a request for money would not receive the warmest of welcomes.

...unless you're talking about removing the separate 'lite' and 'paid' versions and replacing this with just the one. Maybe people are worried that one of the AAAAARGH reviewers will only work around the in-app payment?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

spincube posted:

In a world where pricing an app above 0.99 leads to people 1-starring and hammering out angry HOW DARE YOU RIP ME OFF THIS IS WHY PEOPLE PIRATE poo poo AAAARGH reviews

I... haven't ever seen this on apps that are worth more than 0.99. You don't see those sorts of things on, say, Titanium Backup (5 bucks), Widgetlocker Lockscreen (2.50) or Beautiful Widgets (2 bucks).

Now sure, if the app is a piece of poo poo and the devs are trying to bilk :10bux: or something out of people, then yeah, it's gonna get negative reviews for that (and deservedly so).

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Euthyphro posted:

How is it that Google hasn't moved against piracy at this point? And why doesn't every developer move to in-app purchasing, which would seem to be much harder to circumvent for pirates?

Because there are people like me who hate IAP but will happily pay for a full game. Most IAP I see now involves buying coins/tokens to level up in an otherwise free game that takes forever to do so normally. Just charge a normal price and I'll buy it.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Silly Burrito posted:

Because there are people like me who hate IAP but will happily pay for a full game. Most IAP I see now involves buying coins/tokens to level up in an otherwise free game that takes forever to do so normally. Just charge a normal price and I'll buy it.

I was thinking more along the lines of ClockworkMod Tether, which is free in the market and freely available as an apk, but costs $5 to unlock via IAP.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

I've had one experience with IAP:

I got Where's My Water on the Play Store during the $0.10 sale not too long back. I ended up really loving the game and after getting every achievement I could and maxing out the game I figured I hadn't really paid much for the enjoyment I got and even though it was Disney, gently caress it, I'll give them $1 for Cranky's Story.

So it goes through right away except the game itself won't recognize it. I contact the developer but in the meantime I do a backup and try clearing app data. Clearing app data worked but restoring it restored the problem. After three days I heard back from Disney telling me that clearing app data was the only solution and that it was a known issue. To their credit they also offered me a refund if I preferred (I didn't).

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004
Regarding Chameleon: That is really pretty but why do they need $50k to develop it? Development takes time and costs very little money... Beyond a computer and software what else do they need? It seems like they are trying to protect their rear end in case the app doesn't sell, not use the money to launch a product.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

fudsak posted:

Regarding Chameleon: That is really pretty but why do they need $50k to develop it? Development takes time and costs very little money... Beyond a computer and software what else do they need? It seems like they are trying to protect their rear end in case the app doesn't sell, not use the money to launch a product.

To eat/pay bills while they code it maybe?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

thisdude23 posted:

I currently use JuiceDefender free on my Nexus S 4G but it's not really working the way it did when I had my Evo 4G. I'm not sure if it's because it's not compatible with ICS or what though. With that said, should I purchase the Ultimate program or look into a different one? Is there anything out there that's better? I just want something that will work well on my phone. Thanks.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

To eat/pay bills while they code it maybe?

That's not why you invest in a start up. The spoils come when you deliver a real product.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

fudsak posted:

That's not why you invest in a start up. The spoils come when you deliver a real product.

What.

The whole point in investing in a start up is giving money BEFORE a product is delivered.

True, until recently people didn't typically invest in apps/games, but just because there are no real "materials" cost in software doesn't make it any different than any other start up.

Could it be done by one dude in his spare time? Yeah, probably. But it would be a much better product, delivered in a much quicker timeframe, if they had the resources to allow a few developers to work full time on the project. Not many people would be willing to quit their day job and work on a new project without some sort of sense of security.

Also consider the size of the Android tablet market. It's pretty drat small right now. And in general Android apps make far less than iOS, so it's very risky to spend a lot of time developing an app that might not sell well.

Kickstarter is perfect for this because it at least allows them to gauge public interest and it gives them some free marketing as well. So even if they didn't reach their $50,000 goal, it might be something still worth pursuing based on how well the funding went and what sort of "buzz" was generated.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I am really digging GO LAUNCHER, it seems like a slicker version of LauncherPro.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

metachronos posted:

I am really digging GO LAUNCHER, it seems like a slicker version of LauncherPro.

I agree, but I'm pretty sure Launcher Pro has just been completely abandoned by the developer at this point.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'm done with Google Music.

I copied my music library to an SD card, are there any good music players that can read only from a directory that I specify?

I want to point it to the card so it can see only my music, not the various other sounds on my phone. Preferably being able to read it despite the .nomedia flag being set,
otherwise it takes like fifteen minutes to index every time I turn on my phone.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Megaspel posted:

I agree, but I'm pretty sure Launcher Pro has just been completely abandoned by the developer at this point.

If he ever comes back, I'll probably switch back to Launcher Pro, but until then, Go has been working okay for me.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

What.

The whole point in investing in a start up is giving money BEFORE a product is delivered.

First of all, awesome name. I'm having trouble arguing with you on that basis alone.

Yes, but that money is all supposed to go into starting that business. It's supposed to cover start-up costs, marketing, etc. If he has to hire extra work, it could go towards that. It should not, in any way, go towards him living a comfortable lifestyle as profit. Maybe I have kickstarter all wrong but typical investors want you eating ramen noodles until your company becomes profitable. It's a sign of good faith that you are fully invested in making the company profitable and hence, returning their investment.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Not many people would be willing to quit their day job and work on a new project without some sort of sense of security.

Correct, that's why few people start (successful) businesses. With zero sales and no business model, an investor would be crazy to put money at this.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Also consider the size of the Android tablet market. It's pretty drat small right now. And in general Android apps make far less than iOS, so it's very risky to spend a lot of time developing an app that might not sell well.

Another reason not to invest in this.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Kickstarter is perfect for this because it at least allows them to gauge public interest and it gives them some free marketing as well. So even if they didn't reach their $50,000 goal, it might be something still worth pursuing based on how well the funding went and what sort of "buzz" was generated.

I guess my problem is that $50,000 is enough money for this person to live comfortably for a year. It would not take a good developer a year to make this app working full-time. He is greedy, he does not need that much money, and I discourage everyone from funding kickstarter projects as a means to start developing most apps.

If this guy is seeking donations to do it, that's one thing. I think that's how some of you guys see kickstarter. But I look at it as someone seeking a capital investment but offering no share of their company.

fudsak fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 19, 2012

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
What is you guys' favorite text messaging app? I'm sure anyone here who has a text convo longer than like 5,000 text knows how utterly slow the standard Android text app is. It has to load the ENTIRE conversation before it shows you anything. For the 18,000 text running conversation I have with my girlfriend, it literally takes like almost 2 minutes to load, and if she sends me rapid fire text (which she does something) it throws the phone into total disarray.

Any recomendations (besides deleting the convo, which ive actually tried and seemingly just sits there processing it forever)

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Go sms is great. Very customizable and has some neat features.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Cakefool posted:

I'm not normally one for live wallpapers but I've ben using Substrate & it's awesome, makes no real difference to battery life either.

Echoing (hopefully not nechroing) that this is the best live wallpaper ever. (There was also a version for Windows XP that I wish to this day worked with Windows 7.)

EDIT: Maybe I only thought it was a wallpaper. It's still available as a screensaver (install as admin; it's safe - or at least that's what MSE says) for whoever even uses those anymore.

Two tips for people who use it:
1) Set your home screen to stay in one orientation, if you can. Switching resets the background, and that's just a shame.
2) Whoever said it was an ICS problem with not starting, I don't think it is: it takes a switch between panels in my home screen (ADW) to kick it off and I'm on CM7 on a Captivate.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 20, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Substrate is available as a live wallpaper, I just got it Friday. However, note that the developer specifically says in the description "I have abandoned this app". In other words, if you like LauncherPro, you'll love this wallpaper.

ante posted:

I copied my music library to an SD card, are there any good music players that can read only from a directory that I specify?

I want to point it to the card so it can see only my music, not the various other sounds on my phone. Preferably being able to read it despite the .nomedia flag being set, otherwise it takes like fifteen minutes to index every time I turn on my phone.

You're looking for Music Folder Player.

Don't confuse it with the much-worse-rated mildly-Engrished app called "Music Folder Player (original)" that came out recently and appears to have nothing to do with the real one. The dev page for "MFP (origial)" is a Chrome-flagged malware site. :toot:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Splizwarf posted:

Substrate is available as a live wallpaper, I just got it Friday. However, note that the developer specifically says in the description "I have abandoned this app". In other words, if you like LauncherPro, you'll love this wallpaper.

1) I know it's a wallpaper for Android. I was talking about its use in not-Android.

2) What, exactly, needs updated in it? Can nothing ever simply be completed in the world of software anymore?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

So Spotify pretty much just doesn't work for me. The version on the market just closes instantly on startup and the beta version comes up but doesn't load a song and won't let me get to any menus or anything. Sometimes it's just a white screen. Uninstalling the app completely fixes it temporarily, but clearing data and force closing it do nothing.

I really like the service but I'm only paying for it to use with my phone, which I can't do. Are there any services that work similarly but have decent Android apps?

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Gilok posted:

So Spotify pretty much just doesn't work for me. The version on the market just closes instantly on startup and the beta version comes up but doesn't load a song and won't let me get to any menus or anything. Sometimes it's just a white screen. Uninstalling the app completely fixes it temporarily, but clearing data and force closing it do nothing.

I really like the service but I'm only paying for it to use with my phone, which I can't do. Are there any services that work similarly but have decent Android apps?

I am using Rdio and it has a pretty nice phone app.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

2) What, exactly, needs updated in it? Can nothing ever simply be completed in the world of software anymore?

This. I've not stopped using Launcher Pro just because its abandonware, both it & substrate work & aren't missing any killer features I can't live without.

Though a hex colour picker for the background would be nice, but black is pretty classy.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cakefool posted:

This. I've not stopped using Launcher Pro just because its abandonware, both it & substrate work & aren't missing any killer features I can't live without.

Though a hex colour picker for the background would be nice, but black is pretty classy.

I haven't stopped using LPP because it's abandonware, but I have stopped using it because other supported launchers (like Go Launcher) are much more featured now than LPP ever was. It was good at the time, but since he's stopped updating it other ones have surpassed it. Hell, Go Launcher is free and has more features than LPP ever did.

Also Substrate is awesome. I just wish 1) the white background worked, and 2) there were background colors other than black or white to choose from.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Same here. However, to answer Sir Unimaginative, if any incompatibility with future software or device arises, it's nice to imagine there might one day be a solution. To put that another way, go try to install Full Throttle on Windows XP.

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe

ante posted:

I want to point it to the card so it can see only my music, not the various other sounds on my phone. Preferably being able to read it despite the .nomedia flag being set,
otherwise it takes like fifteen minutes to index every time I turn on my phone.

I'd give PowerAmp and PlayerPro a chance. I know that PlayerPro lets you specify which folders you want it to look at. I'm pretty sure Poweramp did this too, but it's been a while since I used it. Both apps have free trial versions. The thing I'm not sure if is if it will detect the music in the specified folder, while a .nomedia file exists.

I really like PlayerPro, but have my doubts about the shuffle behavior. I like to play my whole collection in shuffle mode and just skip through songs. Overall it's good enough, but sometimes I feel like the app prefers to play some songs over others and will also repeat some songs before playing others.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Splizwarf posted:

You're looking for Music Folder Player.

Don't confuse it with the much-worse-rated mildly-Engrished app called "Music Folder Player (original)" that came out recently and appears to have nothing to do with the real one. The dev page for "MFP (origial)" is a Chrome-flagged malware site. :toot:

This seems to do the trick for now, thanks. It's a little bare-bones, but I guess my first priority is playing the music properly, which this does.

Ideally, I'd like something that kind of imitates how the new iPod Nanos work, with the displaying album art while the song is playing (pulling it off the web if none exists), and swipe to go to the next track. Maybe I'll write my own if I really can't find anything that's perfect.

E30User posted:

I'd give PowerAmp and PlayerPro a chance. I know that PlayerPro lets you specify which folders you want it to look at. I'm pretty sure Poweramp did this too, but it's been a while since I used it. Both apps have free trial versions. The thing I'm not sure if is if it will detect the music in the specified folder, while a .nomedia file exists.

I really like PlayerPro, but have my doubts about the shuffle behavior. I like to play my whole collection in shuffle mode and just skip through songs. Overall it's good enough, but sometimes I feel like the app prefers to play some songs over others and will also repeat some songs before playing others.

I've tried PlayerPro, but it doesn't work with the .nomedia flag because it doesn't let you specify custom folders, it just automatically displays a bunch. Which also means it shows my folders full of ringtones and crap, which I don't like.

I'll totally try out PowerAmp at some point.

Thanks, dudes.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

ante posted:

This seems to do the trick for now, thanks. It's a little bare-bones, but I guess my first priority is playing the music properly, which this does.

Ideally, I'd like something that kind of imitates how the new iPod Nanos work, with the displaying album art while the song is playing (pulling it off the web if none exists), and swipe to go to the next track. Maybe I'll write my own if I really can't find anything that's perfect.

I haven't used a nano to compare but I'm pretty sure PowerAmp has options for these.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

ante posted:

Mortplayer is another option. I think it does all these things.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ante posted:

Ideally, I'd like something that kind of imitates how the new iPod Nanos work, with the displaying album art while the song is playing (pulling it off the web if none exists), and swipe to go to the next track..

I use PowerAmp and does all of this.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

highme posted:

I use PowerAmp and does all of this.

Okay I just tried this and everything about it is perfect

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Wait, I have a Nano and swiping just moves through menus forward and back. Is this in the options?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Splizwarf posted:

Wait, I have a Nano and swiping just moves through menus forward and back. Is this in the options?

I dunno, I've played with one exactly once when I was drunk so I could be full of poo poo. But it's a great idea, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Anyone tried out FaceDroid on a tablet? It looks good but there's no free version to try. I'm currently using Friendcaster of which I've never been overly fond.

• Locked thread