Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Z3n posted:

How about a cheap digital wristwatch around the triple tree?

I can't believe I never thought of that! (three motorcycles and two cars without clocks later)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

28_days posted:

That'll certainly work, I was just hoping there was a cooler/more polished option.

How about an expensive analog watch around the triple tree? :haw:

kaiory
Sep 24, 2007

28_days posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap stick-on digital clock? Maybe a compass? I can't find anything simple and non-gaudy.

Thanks!

I picked up a pack of 2 cheapy digital clocks from autozone for just a dollar or two. Came with the velcro and this first one has lasted me a couple years so far

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I rode 160 miles yesterday with a group of 15 cruisers. Had a really fun time as the token "crotch rocket" as they called me. I've only been riding three weeks so I'm glad I went with cruisers instead of sportbikes where I might have been left behind a lot.

28_days
Jul 2, 2008

Thank you all for the suggestions! Watch acquired :)

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

blue squares posted:

I rode 160 miles yesterday with a group of 15 cruisers. Had a really fun time as the token "crotch rocket" as they called me. I've only been riding three weeks so I'm glad I went with cruisers instead of sportbikes where I might have been left behind a lot.

I'm pretty new and haven't ridden with anybody except my co-worker to/from work (all straight except for one dust covered curve where people turn into a construction site right at the apex, so I don't take it more than 30 mph). He rides a modified HD Road King with "120 hp". I put that in quotes because its unsubstantiated. He is one impatient old man and goes 90+ constantly in the straights so we ride together for the first half mile and then he leaves me in the dust. I'd prefer to stay near the speed limit... He gets about 60 miles to a tank though so that's amusing.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Received and installed ASV F3 (full length) levers for the 250. It's so nice having fully adjustable levers and these things are rock solid!

Highly recommended if you can stomach the coin.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

GF just picked up a new style 250R, anybody have an resources on what you can do to debaffle the stock exhaust? Sounds too much like a sewing machine for either of us to stand and aren't quite ready to drop $300 on an aftermarket can.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

GF just picked up a new style 250R, anybody have an resources on what you can do to debaffle the stock exhaust? Sounds too much like a sewing machine for either of us to stand and aren't quite ready to drop $300 on an aftermarket can.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-25...#ht_3905wt_1156

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

in red: Not intended for road use
??

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

blue squares posted:

in red: Not intended for road use
??

Yeah no exhaust besides the stock exhaust is legal for road use.

And if you debaffle the stock exhaust, then it's illegal too.

So, uh. Yeah.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
In the little guy's defense they sound better at higher revs, you just don't normally hear it as a rider. I agree it sounds awful at idle and I make fun of it too, but it's not so bad. Do what you feel but aftermarket exhausts on a bike like a 250 is funny to me.

Unless you're in KKKalifornia I don't know if I've ever heard of someone getting nabbed for an exhaust, tho z3n is right in that any modification is illegal most places. I know Kentucky says that you can't modify it to make it louder at least.

I looked it up to shut up my dad who was giving me endless poo poo and warnings about how I was going to be hassled by cops for having 1 mirror. Nevermind that I looked up the law and 1 mirror is 100% legal here. Meanwhile he farts around on a loud as poo poo bike with a barely visible license plate and those stupid taillights that flash designs all of the time (don't get me started on those....makes the brake lights worthless). I don't know how he thought I'd attract more attention, but like I said I've never had trouble or even heard of someone having trouble for equipment.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

thanks for the input, not worried about the legality of exhaust. Never get hassled in WA.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oh, I forgot to say I looked into this and neither of the bike specific forums had anything before buying a slip on.

Don't forget it'll probably need the jetting adjusted or it'll run worse.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

nsaP posted:

Oh, I forgot to say I looked into this and neither of the bike specific forums had anything before buying a slip on.

Don't forget it'll probably need the jetting adjusted or it'll run worse.

Run worse? You make it sound like you don't approve of how these things run!

Related: I've received so much poo poo from co-workers like "you never told me you drove a lawn mower?!." I can't actually hear the exhaust at high revs, though I wish I could for shift points, etc. I wouldn't mind investing in a full header/exhaust, but I don't want to have to jet it since I like the power-band just where it's at right now.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I'll never understand why people modify 250s. The cost/benefit ratio isn't that good. :v:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

We'll never do anything else other than drop a can on it and adjust controls to be more comfortable. Agreed, there is no point. I'm also not paying more than $150 for an exhaust, because $300-500 seems hilarious to me for a 250.

A little more grunt out of the pipe is something I've done to every bike in my possession thus far except one though, and you have to acknowledge the 250 is a pretty extreme case of sounding non-motorcylish stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rH5zpwMamQ

28_days
Jul 2, 2008

It was recently brought to my attention that my foot placement was wrong. Over the last few days I've been trying to relearn, putting the balls of my feet on the pegs (not under the gearshift lever and to the side of the rear brake as I was doing before).

That said, I'm having an issue because my SMX-5+ have enough grip to "grab" the pegs and collapse them when I bring my foot back.

Is there a way to make it so that my pegs CAN'T collapse? Why would I want them to be able to in the first place?

Thanks!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

28_days posted:

It was recently brought to my attention that my foot placement was wrong. Over the last few days I've been trying to relearn, putting the balls of my feet on the pegs (not under the gearshift lever and to the side of the rear brake as I was doing before).
Woah, I had no idea about this. They never went over that at the MSF.

28_days
Jul 2, 2008

Fifty Three posted:

Woah, I had no idea about this. They never went over that at the MSF.

No they didn't. Just to reiterate, when you're not shifting/breaking, the suggestion in the discussion thread was to place the balls of your feet on the pegs. It's odd because prior to learning this I had only put on 200 or so miles, but I've had a hell of time trying to break this habit.

On an unrelated note, is there a good way to clean the chain grim off the underside of the engine cover? I can take off the chain guard and clean 80%, but there's an area where grime/crud deposit and I can't seem to get to that area. I suppose a stand would help, but I don't have one. Any suggestions?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
My buddy told me about the balls of feet rule before I ever got on a bike, which was quite helpful.

I find myself thinking about foot placement CONSTANTLY since I have been having an odd problem with missing up-shifts. I think my foot doesn't like to go up at that angle so I use my entire leg and often times miss when I can't here the click. A couple of false neutrals per ride sucks and makes me look pretty dumb. :(

It's about time for me to clean / lubricate my chain. What is the suggested method for this? I have heard that Kerosene / Diesel is good for cleaning and that ATF is another option. I happen to have some spare ATF in the garage that I was thinking about using. What about a lubricant? I see Castrol Chain wax on Amazon that looks okay, but if I'm ordering something, I might as well get the good stuff.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

XYLOPAGUS posted:

My buddy told me about the balls of feet rule before I ever got on a bike, which was quite helpful.

I find myself thinking about foot placement CONSTANTLY since I have been having an odd problem with missing up-shifts. I think my foot doesn't like to go up at that angle so I use my entire leg and often times miss when I can't here the click. A couple of false neutrals per ride sucks and makes me look pretty dumb. :(

It's about time for me to clean / lubricate my chain. What is the suggested method for this? I have heard that Kerosene / Diesel is good for cleaning and that ATF is another option. I happen to have some spare ATF in the garage that I was thinking about using. What about a lubricant? I see Castrol Chain wax on Amazon that looks okay, but if I'm ordering something, I might as well get the good stuff.

Adjust the shifter so it's a more natural motion to shift.

I use gear oil to lube/clean my chain.

28_days posted:

That said, I'm having an issue because my SMX-5+ have enough grip to "grab" the pegs and collapse them when I bring my foot back.

Is there a way to make it so that my pegs CAN'T collapse? Why would I want them to be able to in the first place?

Thanks!

You want then to fold so when they drag they don't lever the bike off the ground.

Make it a solid motion of lift and move and you'll be fine. Or drag them across the peg a bit more to prevent them from lifting.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Put your feet whatever is comfortable so long as they don't get in the way. I use different placement on different bikes and depending on the situation.

You can adjust for turns or whatever.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Just don't drag the toes of your expensive boots through turns.

So I'm looking at a pair of ninja 250s tomorrow; $300 a piece (no title). One is an '89 that has been sitting for ages but otherwise ok, the other is a early 2000s with a burnt up electrical harness. The seller is a local racer who apparently had a barn full of projects

I'm going to try to recover the title on one to get my brother into riding. The other I'll likely part out, but there is a chance I'll consider racing it in the local 250 cup... I'll post pics up if the deal goes through.

Surly
Oct 3, 2003
Looks out for one guy; Surly
So I went to start my '10 ninjette tonight. Turned the ignition to on, all the lights came on for a split second, and then everything dead. Batter was replaced last year after I stupidly left the keys in for a couple hours, so I don't think that's the issue. Maybe a fuse? It's rained pretty each around here the last couple days..

Any ideas?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Try playing around with your key position a little, mine does that sometimes.

Surly
Oct 3, 2003
Looks out for one guy; Surly

Shimrod posted:

Try playing around with your key position a little, mine does that sometimes.
tried playing around with it, nothing, and then all of a sudden the lights started to slowly dim back on but not enough juice to get the engine cranking. Maybe it is the battery? I just bought it a year ago and haven't left it running. I'll try giving it a charge tomorrow.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Try jump starting the bike off your car or something and leaving it running? I'm not sure if it works for bikes but it should give the battery some charge after a while.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Shimrod posted:

Try jump starting the bike off your car or something and leaving it running? I'm not sure if it works for bikes but it should give the battery some charge after a while.

Doesn't work on most bikes...has to be at 4k+ rpm on a 250 to charge :)

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Z3n posted:

Handy to know!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Z3n posted:

Use the choke

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I've joined the club!

$600 for the pair, a spare engine (the valve train is incomplete...), and boxes full of parts that'll get it going. The seller is the president of the local racing club. He said he got the local 250 racing class started by buying every derelict ninja he could find. Now that its running, he's selling his stock. Apparently these are the 12th and 13th ninja 250s he's sold this year.

The black ('91) one has a title, but the wiring harness burnt up. There is a complete harness in the box, though. That one is cleaner, but is probably going to take more TLC to get running.

The white '89 is intact, engine wise, but has been sitting for a long time.

I plan to get the black one on the street for my brother. If the white one is running, I'll consider racing it... I have 5 motorcycles now, man...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

blue squares posted:

Use the choke

Bad idea to let it run at 4k RPM for an extended period without air running through the radiator.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Strap it on a flatbed truck?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Can't he just ride it for a while?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Z3n posted:

Bad idea to let it run at 4k RPM for an extended period without air running through the radiator.

Can't you just throw a k-mart fan in front of it? :P

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Z3n posted:

Adjust the shifter so it's a more natural motion to shift.

I use gear oil to lube/clean my chain.

While this "advice" is incredibly trivial, it has helped immensely. Heck, I've even removed the shift linkage while installing frame sliders and it still never hit me to try adjusting it. Haven't ridden it, yet, but I'm excited about finding a better fit. Thanks Z3n.

Also, I cleaned/lubed my chain with ATF yesterday. Easy enough with some spools and a pit-bull stand.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

XYLOPAGUS posted:

While this "advice" is incredibly trivial, it has helped immensely. Heck, I've even removed the shift linkage while installing frame sliders and it still never hit me to try adjusting it. Haven't ridden it, yet, but I'm excited about finding a better fit. Thanks Z3n.

Also, I cleaned/lubed my chain with ATF yesterday. Easy enough with some spools and a pit-bull stand.

Do your levers too :)

It's the little things that really help make your bike fit you. Glad I could help out!

Edit: Oh and I recommend some threadlocker on the shift rod. I've lost one too many of those to make do without.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Z3n posted:

Do your levers too :)

It's the little things that really help make your bike fit you. Glad I could help out!

Edit: Oh and I recommend some threadlocker on the shift rod. I've lost one too many of those to make do without.

I have an odd fear of Threadlocker (meaning: I've never used it or seen anybody else use it). I bought the red loctite the other day and have yet to use it. I intend to use it for my spools so they don't fall off. I think I should have bought blue for something like the shift rod, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What are some fun and cheap things to do/add to a Ninja 250? I love mine but don't want to invest a ton of money into it.

• Locked thread