Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Captain von Trapp posted:

Hmm. I'm thinking about moving some money from one mutual fund to another within the same company and was wondering if that type of transaction was taxable in principle. Looks like it probably is. In my particular case I don't think I'd pay any taxes because my income is hilariously far below the 25% bracket and the value of the investment involved is also tiny.

Sometimes you have to pay a professional for what they do, embrace them. There's some guy/gal close to you who can answer all of your questions (because they know your exact financial situation).

The internet is a horrible place for financial and legal advice, outside of recommending professionals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Sometimes you have to pay a professional for what they do, embrace them. There's some guy/gal close to you who can answer all of your questions (because they know your exact financial situation).

The internet is a horrible place for financial and legal advice, outside of recommending professionals.

Speaking of professionals...

I don't have a General practice doctor or insurance coverage, how would I go about finding a good therapist? My dad has recently gone crazy (like pants on head shock therapy crazy), and I'd like to address my mental...issues.. before they become a huge thing.

Would I just go to a doctor and tell him I want one and get a referral? Or should I just Google around my area and hope for the best?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Blooshoo posted:

Would I just go to a doctor and tell him I want one and get a referral? Or should I just Google around my area and hope for the best?

I'm not being mean but, pick up a phone and ask! Especially for mental health issues. If they are friendly and caring, hear them out. If they are all about referrals and insurance, move on.

Google for results then pick up a phone and talk to people.

E: I hate to poo poo on GP's but they are really bad at mental health. What could be cured with a bit of psychiatric help sometimes is made worse by pills.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 20, 2012

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Eggplant Wizard posted:

He made a thread. :)

Cool, I'll repost my response there!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Some time ago, Stargate SG-1 and Doctor Who were recommended to another poster as good scifi shows. But now I'm about done with the 2005 series of Doctor Who, and I want more. I am getting Torchwood obviously, but what about the old series? Where do I start? I tried watch the first doctor, and that was way too slow for me, but I'm guessing it picks up at some point?

And SG-1:I've watched half of season 1 and I like the core concept and the big story arch, but the characters are bland as hell and most of the episodes are just self-contained stories which I don't care about. Does it get better or should I just quit now? By better, I guess I mean "does it flesh out the universe and involve mankind in interstellar politics" or something like that.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

BonHair posted:

Some time ago, Stargate SG-1 and Doctor Who were recommended to another poster as good scifi shows. But now I'm about done with the 2005 series of Doctor Who, and I want more. I am getting Torchwood obviously, but what about the old series? Where do I start? I tried watch the first doctor, and that was way too slow for me, but I'm guessing it picks up at some point?

And SG-1:I've watched half of season 1 and I like the core concept and the big story arch, but the characters are bland as hell and most of the episodes are just self-contained stories which I don't care about. Does it get better or should I just quit now? By better, I guess I mean "does it flesh out the universe and involve mankind in interstellar politics" or something like that.

Well this is of course a matter of taste, but in my opinion it is best to start Torchwood at 'season' 3; Children of Earth and then go to the next one; Miracle Day. They are two miniseries acting as seasons which tell a single story. The normal Torchwood series are rather bland.

SG1 gets better. Exactly as you mentioned; politics wise and larger more connected story arcs specifically. But it'll take a while and there will still be plenty of self-contained stories. I watched Stargate Universe lately and I vastly prefer it, it has a more survivalist grimdark feeling to it which I personally prefer.

Again, taste.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My home is starting to get invaded by pincherbugs/earwigs. There's a ton of them in my backyard, which I'm fine with, but they've started to mosey on inside and do cute things like this:

I also found one inside my son's diaper wipe pail which is pretty disturbing.

How can I control these critters? I think they're probably getting in through the windows that have been open lately, there's opening in the screen and drainage holes in the window sills.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

FCKGW posted:

My home is starting to get invaded by pincherbugs/earwigs. There's a ton of them in my backyard, which I'm fine with, but they've started to mosey on inside and do cute things like this:

I also found one inside my son's diaper wipe pail which is pretty disturbing.

How can I control these critters? I think they're probably getting in through the windows that have been open lately, there's opening in the screen and drainage holes in the window sills.

They're probably not coming in through the windows if it's that bad. Most likely they are coming in through some ground/low lying source, like a gap under the sink or something.

If you don't care about chemicals the Ortho (or like) perimeter sprays and/or powder work pretty well at keeping bugs out.

The organic approach would be to find the source and also seal any low lying entry point. They love dark and wet spaces, do you have a crawlspace under your residence? Perfect place to start looking. Do you have wood/garbage/stuff stacked around the house?

Last resort: Orkin, or like services. I only say last resort because of all of the pest problems earwigs are pretty low on the damage/danger scale and a lot of times they are signaling a larger problem that exists like a leak pipe or stagnant dank areas.

E: A cursory search source : http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74102.html

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 20, 2012

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I am about to get cable internet. The tech came and said that the towers that hold the cable that comes to my house are on my block but several houses down in someones backyard. he says I need to go contact people that I don't know and ask them for access. Isn't that the cable companies job? The towers are owned by the phone/cable companies correct? I don't even know which neighbor to ask. I live at the bottom of a hill and I can see one of the two towers that needs to be accessed, the other one is covered with trees.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Call the cable company. The installer is most likely a contractor who is being stupid or lazy. Most likely it's a pain to do the drop so they are giving a BS excuse so they can move on to easier jobs.

If you know who the actual company doing the contract work is, call them.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah agreeing with Chubby, lazy contractor passing on the blame it sounds like, organising access to the cable company's own property is definitely not your responsibility.

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is Rosetta Stone the best option for learning a language quickly? I'm trying to learn Arabic over the summer.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Captain Payne posted:

Is Rosetta Stone the best option for learning a language quickly? I'm trying to learn Arabic over the summer.

Arabic is one of the hardest languages for a native speaker of English to learn.
General language learning thread
Arabic thread

Incidentally, I've heard that Rosetta stone is not very useful for languages (like Arabic, IIRC) whose grammar is far from that of English.

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

buttopticor posted:

Arabic is one of the hardest languages for a native speaker of English to learn.
General language learning thread
Arabic thread

Incidentally, I've heard that Rosetta stone is not very useful for languages (like Arabic, IIRC) whose grammar is far from that of English.

Welp, after reading the first page of that Arabic thread I'm starting to reconsider that plan. Are there any other languages that can make a job candidate more attractive? I'm guessing Chinese, though that's probably super hard to learn too.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Captain Payne posted:

Welp, after reading the first page of that Arabic thread I'm starting to reconsider that plan. Are there any other languages that can make a job candidate more attractive? I'm guessing Chinese, though that's probably super hard to learn too.

If you're working in the U.S., Spanish would probably be a good language to consider.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Hey, I have a question for folks who work/have worked retail before. I'm currently part time (~35 hours/week) at a wholesale club while I'm deciding whether to go back to school and whatnot. It's really not that bad, and I get to work on my feet which I appreciate. Anyway, on Friday the drawer came up more than 20 dollars short at the end of the day. Thankfully management isn't necessarily pissed or suspicious about it at this point. I can't recall any transaction during the day when I might have given someone a twenty dollar bill by accident or anything. I'm pretty sure neither of the other two guys who work in my department would have taken it or made a similar mistake since they've been working there even longer than me (I've been there since September).

How worried should I be about getting written up/fired if something like this happens again? I'm sure nobody would think I stole money since I'm basically one of the least problematic people in the entire place and I adhere to the rules pretty strictly when it comes to handling money and making sure two people count it before we send it to be counted during the day.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ServoMST3K posted:

I'm sure nobody would think I stole money since I'm basically one of the least problematic people in the entire place and I adhere to the rules pretty strictly when it comes to handling money and making sure two people count it before we send it to be counted during the day.
Non "problematic" people sometimes steal. Not saying you did of course, but I don't think that will be very relevant if your till keeps coming up short.

If you count the money before and after your shift, and only you have access to the till while you're on, it shouldn't happen unless you gently caress up. If that's not how it works it should be. When more than one person is responsible / has access to the till, then no one (everyone) is responsible if it's off.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

ServoMST3K posted:

How worried should I be about getting written up/fired if something like this happens again? I'm sure nobody would think I stole money since I'm basically one of the least problematic people in the entire place and I adhere to the rules pretty strictly when it comes to handling money and making sure two people count it before we send it to be counted during the day.

It depends on your place, but if it happens again, I'd be worried. You'll probably at least get a verbal warning.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

Yeah, its a bit weird. We have two registers in my department but only ever use one unless we get swamped(we only used one on that Friday). All of us have access to it during the work day, and then a supervisor or manager takes the drawer after we close. Every so often we have to send out all of our twenties/fifties/hundreds if the register senses too many twenties piling up in there, but we only send twenties in even increments of 100 (so either 300, 400, 500, etc..). I suppose the missing twenty could have been from the person who opened in the morning (I never work before 12 on weekdays or 11 on weekends) but that person is my direct supervisor, and she would never make a mistake like that.

The problem is nobody can tell at what point the till came up short, so it could have been at any point from opening to closing. If anyone catches poo poo, it should be all of us, but will likely be me or one of the other younger guys in the department.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
I worked at Costco for a couple of years, and they would fire people for any 'stealing', even if it was taking one small piece of candy from a ripped bag in the returns/broken stuff area (can't remember what the section's official name was). I knew one person who did exactly that, and got exactly fired. It was actually pretty shocking and that was one of the reasons I hated working there. I wanted these packets of silica that went in the garbage (to use for drying flowers), but I wouldn't even risk get caught taking some of Costco's garbage out of that building.

I think that in a situation like yours is different though, because mistakes do happen, especially when it's gently caress-off busy. They're honest mistakes. I wouldn't sweat if I were you, but I would try and make sure you never come up short again (Captain Obvious here). I had never heard of anyone getting fired for coming up short on a register, and once in a blue moon it would happen. They might look at it in a case by case basis.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm mainly worried about this because I would love to get a recommendation from my boss when I apply for another job. She would give me probably the best rec. of anyone I would put on my resume. If I got fired for something I had no control over or a mistake I might have made (but seriously doubt it was me who mucked up on Friday anyway) I would probably be more than marginally irritated.

Okay, I guess I don't want my employer (who kindly provides me with full benefits and regular raises) to get ripped off either.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ServoMST3K posted:

All of us have access to it during the work day, and then a supervisor or manager takes the drawer after we close.
This is bad. I'd complain, especially since it just came up short and there's no way to know who was responsible.

ServoMST3K posted:

Every so often we have to send out all of our twenties/fifties/hundreds if the register senses too many twenties piling up in there, but we only send twenties in even increments of 100 (so either 300, 400, 500, etc..).
You get a signed slip from that handoff yes?

ServoMST3K posted:

I suppose the missing twenty could have been from the person who opened in the morning (I never work before 12 on weekdays or 11 on weekends) but that person is my direct supervisor, and she would never make a mistake like that.
Direct supervisors sometimes make mistakes. They also sometimes steal, especially when they know it can't be definitively pinned on them. Hello, patsy! Don't you count your drawer before and after your shift? You should. In the presence of someone else, preferably your supervisor.

ServoMST3K posted:

The problem is nobody can tell at what point the till came up short, so it could have been at any point from opening to closing. If anyone catches poo poo, it should be all of us, but will likely be me or one of the other younger guys in the department.
Yes, that is the problem, and the solution is one person has access to each till at a time and counting it before and after in front of someone else. Is this some kind of little local store or something? I thought every place did it the easy standard way where, you know, people are actually individually accountable and one thief can't gently caress everyone else up.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
Why is the Something Awful Grenade now yellow?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Cacahuate posted:

Why is the Something Awful Grenade now yellow?

It's not yellow anymore, and it coincided with a forums upgrade that's being posted about in Ask us about the forums some more.

dirby fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 21, 2012

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

All I can tell you is that nobody will change the way things are done in my department if I complain, even though my complaint would make perfect sense. Things have been done the same there for time immemorial, and the other managers only care about us insofar as we don't piss off the members or blow something up. To be clear, my supervisor (who is really the only person in the entire building who knows the ins and outs of my department) usually only works from 5 or 6am until 2, five days a week. I only ever started working with her once I proved I was a competent employee and started getting middle of the day shifts.

I appreciate your advice, but the only way things would change is if a lot more money ended up missing. And that would most likely get everyone in big trouble before it changed how the money was kept track of. The employees who work at the normal "check out" registers are subject to the sort of oversight that you mention, but for whatever reason my coworkers and I are largely left to our own devices for 90 percent of the work day.

The more I post about this, the more I realize how I should probably put my search for another job in high gear. It really is crazy how easily things could get hosed up for my coworkers and I if someone had a bone to pick with our employer.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Has anyone used http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ ? Are they legit, are they worth it? I certainly wouldn't mind super cheap razors instead of what I use now.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Nighthand posted:

Has anyone used http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ ? Are they legit, are they worth it? I certainly wouldn't mind super cheap razors instead of what I use now.

I signed up right as apparently a ton of other people did and they temporarily ran short on razors, so I haven't received my order yet. According to the site, I'll be getting them soon, and they won't be charging me again til my next shipment, so they're at least aware of people's concerns and doing their best.

I'll let you know when the razors arrive (hopefully this week)

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ServoMST3K posted:

All I can tell you is that nobody will change the way things are done in my department if I complain

The more I post about this, the more I realize how I should probably put my search for another job in high gear. It really is crazy how easily things could get hosed up for my coworkers and I if someone had a bone to pick with our employer.
That's pretty messed up (and dumb for literally everyone involved, from employees to managers and owners) -- good luck on the job search!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Captain Payne posted:

Unless you actually move somewhere so you're totally immersed in a language 24/7, in a summer you're going to learn basically nothing. Nothing close to being able to write or have a conversation anyway, and you probably won't be able to understand a native speaker either.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

So my brother is getting married in a few days, and he just asked if I could do a reading in addition to giving a speech at the wedding. My entire family, plus his wife's entire family, plus a few of their friends are doing readings, so I feel obligated to read something. The problem is that I'm not really well-versed in poetry or anything I could read to celebrate their marriage. Does anyone know some places I can look at readings for? I think a funny poem or short excerpt would be ideal, but I don't even know where to start on finding them - googling "wedding readings" gives me things for the groom and bride to read to each other. Any nice readings would be great too, I just need to get some ideas together.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Econosaurus posted:

Any nice readings would be great too, I just need to get some ideas together.

I Like You by Mr. Rogers was at a wedding I was at recently. I thought it was a good non-denominational reading

Serious Sam
Feb 15, 2008

Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers!
Hey, is it possible for a foreign to get 3G/4G etc on the laptop in US? Would be nice to check in and do some surfing while on the move. Thanks for the quick No Ill probably get. :)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Killbox posted:

Hey, is it possible for a foreign to get 3G/4G etc on the laptop in US? Would be nice to check in and do some surfing while on the move. Thanks for the quick No Ill probably get. :)

You can probably pick up a prepaid Virgin Mobile mifi and use that for service:
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband/mifi-2200.html

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I just took a urine drug test for a job I'm getting this summer. About how long is the wait for results?

vvvv: Aggh I was hoping it wouldn't be too long, but thanks though! Guess I should find some fun things to do in the mean time before i'm working daily.

buglord fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 21, 2012

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Avocados posted:

I just took a urine drug test for a job I'm getting this summer. About how long is the wait for results?

Three or four business days. Maybe a week. Depends on how many other people are getting tested too.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
A long while back I read a paper the gist of which was "a large number of the problems in philosophy are only problems because philosophers said they were". I seem to remember a large part of it was the argument of free will. This guy said it really doesn't matter if we have free will is a completely moot point because are any of us going to act any differently if we do/don't have free will. I really liked the paper and am trying to find both that and the author.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

You may want to crosspost that question in General Philosophy Discussion.

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

greazeball posted:

Unless you actually move somewhere so you're totally immersed in a language 24/7, in a summer you're going to learn basically nothing. Nothing close to being able to write or have a conversation anyway, and you probably won't be able to understand a native speaker either.

How do people working for the State Department or in that line of work learn languages so quickly?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Captain Payne posted:

How do people working for the State Department or in that line of work learn languages so quickly?

If I recall correctly, FSI Language Courses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Captain Payne posted:

There's a part of the brain that has a fairly significant size variance from person to person, I sadly don't remember which bit. But studies show that people who have the larger version of this bit pick up languages really quickly and easily, while people who have smaller ones just have to suck that metaphorical dick. I suspect that most people in those lines of work have that larger bit of brain.