Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Make sure you turn on the captioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantegy
May 18, 2002

Doh004 posted:

No luck with this one? :saddowns:

I did this a few years ago, can't remember what guide I used but it was similar to this one:
http://honest-food.net/2009/10/11/how-to-cure-green-olives/

The olives came from a tree in my parents yard so I don't know about online sources. I did the water cure and they came out pretty good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

It was the heroic Gourd of Space, here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1E2INbrnDw

Gourd is my hero :kimchi:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Make sure you turn on the captioning.

"Polo shirts non-smoking" was the best one

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

How long would you keep rehydrated shiitake mushrooms in the fridge? Have had them in there for 2 days since I lacked the will to cook rice and make rice balls. They don't smell odd, but i think that a lot and my boyfriend suffers the consequences. I never do.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I feel this is a dumb question, but what is the best way to rehydrate chilli peppers? The bags I have say to cover in boiling water in a bowl then cover that for 15 minutes. I tried it and they turned it mush as I expected. Do I just soak them in cold water until they're rehydated?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Try doing it for 10 minutes. But some kinds turn to mush anyway but that can be the point too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Well fortunately I needed the liquid so just blended them and added. I'll try that next time.

Also I miss Maradona

cuban
May 23, 2006
More of a food I am looking for but I thought I would ask the foodies.
While in Japan I had some candy, it was a real grape, covered in a jelly/gummy bear like coating and rolled in fine sugar. Anyone know what this is called or who makes it? I got it out of a bin in a fine candy store.
It was amazing, I wish I had more. Anyone have any ideas?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I can't believe I never thought to just dump a can of sardines in olive oil over pasta and eat it. This is amazing.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
So um, weird question. What IS the best way to store potatoes outside of a root cellar? One person I asked said refrigerate and another said just keep them in a cabinet.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Got a block of feta because we love it on salads. How do you guys suggest storing an open container of it? How long does it last in the fridge?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

cuban posted:

More of a food I am looking for but I thought I would ask the foodies.
While in Japan I had some candy, it was a real grape, covered in a jelly/gummy bear like coating and rolled in fine sugar. Anyone know what this is called or who makes it? I got it out of a bin in a fine candy store.
It was amazing, I wish I had more. Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds very much like you want mochi. You can get the flour from many Asian stores.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Aerofallosov posted:

So um, weird question. What IS the best way to store potatoes outside of a root cellar? One person I asked said refrigerate and another said just keep them in a cabinet.

Anywhere that's cool and dark. Also, do not store them next to onions, as potatoes give off moisture and onions do well in dry places.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Will a baking powder leavened recipe still work after it's left in the fridge overnight? I have an overnight cinnamon roll recipe that works very well, and it uses 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder in addition to yeast. I thought that baking powder started losing effectiveness as soon as it got wet, though - so I'm curious if it's actually affecting the final product.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Baking powder starts to work as soon as it's wet, yes. If you have double acting baking powder, it will work again, so to speak, once the whole thing is heated up, as it depends on heat to complete it's reaction.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

Lullabee posted:

Got a block of feta because we love it on salads. How do you guys suggest storing an open container of it? How long does it last in the fridge?

It will last a while if it is in brine.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

pnumoman posted:

Anywhere that's cool and dark. Also, do not store them next to onions, as potatoes give off moisture and onions do well in dry places.

Cool, thanks. I wasn't sure if a cabinet or the fridge was better.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Baking powder starts to work as soon as it's wet, yes. If you have double acting baking powder, it will work again, so to speak, once the whole thing is heated up, as it depends on heat to complete it's reaction.
Makes sense. I checked and mine is double-acting. Thanks!

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
1) After grinding up seeds for various dishes, I am so freaking pissed that I used to purchase things like "ground cumin". I need some cardamom- does it matter if I grind from black or green cardamom pods? Furthermore, do I just take a hammer and crush the pods to get seeds, discard pods, and grind seeds?

2) Can you heat fresh leaves in a dry pan on the lowest heat possible, and grind the leaves up to get your own supply of oregano, thyme, etc, or is there a far more superior and super secret method available?

3) Mixing and match (pink) masoor dal and (yellow) moong dal in a stew- gross flavor combination or delicious? Recipe calls for the moong dal only, with broccoli and coconut.

4) Fresh coconuts. My store has 'em. But are these gross like tomatoes-at-the-store-gross, and should be subbed with canned coconut pulp (I guess you would call it)? Same question for tamarind- buy the fruit or the bricks or the concentrate or the paste?

Also, guess what! Methi seeds are the same thing as fenugreek seeds! Agh.

Yehudis Basya fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 20, 2012

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I'm about to make pretzels, so I have water boiling that is full of baking soda (10:0.66...). I'm boiling some mussels in a bit.
Is there any compelling reason to not use that same baking-soda-y water to cook the mussels in?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Very Strange Things posted:

I'm about to make pretzels, so I have water boiling that is full of baking soda (10:0.66...). I'm boiling some mussels in a bit.
Is there any compelling reason to not use that same baking-soda-y water to cook the mussels in?

I don't have any scientific basis for it, but what comes to mind when I hear mussels steamed in basic water is seafood mush.

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006
The thread about Massachusetts' neck-and-neck senate race has by accident revealed a shocking (or maybe saddening) truth about how disconnected some of the SA membership is from cooking, and in particular that there may be many people who are not at all familiar with community cookbooks or the way people clip and share recipes.

I thought I'd invite spoon-wielding goons to come over and join us if you like. It's sad to think that recipe sharing can be interpreted as plaigarism (starting about here) but such are the times. I imagine we'd all be disappointed to find that someone changed their vote based on a misunderstanding of cooking.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

I don't have any scientific basis for it, but what comes to mind when I hear mussels steamed in basic water is seafood mush.

That's good enough for me to spend the extra 10 minutes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Very Strange Things posted:

That's good enough for me to spend the extra 10 minutes.

Also, when I steam mussels, I like to use a flavorful liquid like wine or vermouth or stock or something. When the mussels open up the release a lot of liquid, and well, sopping that liquid up with some bread is the best part of the whole thing.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

um yeah, the broth is the best part of mussels. Seriously, I'd almost go so far as to say gently caress the mussels themselves and just give me a pot of musselbroth and a heel of sourdough. But that would be wasteful.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Very Strange Things, do this:

For each pound of mussels sweat 2 Tablespoons of minced shallot or onion and a clove of minced garlic in a some butter or olive oil. Adding some herbs/spices like thyme, bay leaf, some crushed red is good here too.

Add 1/2 cup (per lb mussels) of some flavorful liquid like white wine or a mix of wine and stock and bring to a simmer. Maybe add a bit of lemon juice or some chopped tomato too.

Then add in the mussels and cover, steam until they open. Spoon out the mussels into your serving bowl and if you want, whisk in some butter to the steaming liquid to give more body to the sauce. Some chopped parsley here is good too.

Now you have delicious mussels and a really tasty broth you can sop up with garlic bread or whatever good bread you have.

After you do this, you can try variations like using some lemongrass or ginger with the aromatics, adding some curry paste, and using coconut milk to simmer.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
What kind of stock? Should it be seafood stock, or could chicken stock/broth be subbed?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I use just chicken/veggie stock sometimes. I prefer to use all alcohol though. A mix of white wine and dry vermouth is fantastic.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Here's a stock vs. broth question for you.

I used to use store-bought for both, and thought they were pretty much interchangable. Sometimes the package says broth, sometimes it says stock, but it's all yellow chickeny liquid.

I recently made my first homemade stock from leftover carcasses and it is glorious chicken jello. This confuses me when a recipe calls for pouring in a cup (or however much) of stock, and I have wiggly cubes.

Do I need to heat this to liquid, or should I dilute it so it's the broth-type consistency that the recipe seems to want, or just measure and use it as directed? What if I'm making soup? I want liquid chicken soup, not jello-y.

I froze it into cubes and have been using it whenever I need a bit of which flavor in place of bullion, but would like to know for future reference.

Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's not really any difference. You get the jello effect from a nice thick stock. You could probably dilute that with a little water if you want, but I wouldn't bother, just scoop it in. You can mash it into the measuring cup to get the right quantity if you want to be precise.

You should want jello chicken soup, that's the best kind! Nice strong flavor. It'll liquify back into soup broth when you heat it up again.

Different stocks also act differently. Beef stock will always be a thick gel when it's done right. Chicken can be thick and jelly or still liquid with a protective layer of fat on top, both are fine. Seafood stock will never turn into gel, at least in my experience.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Yehudis Basya posted:

2) Can you heat fresh leaves in a dry pan on the lowest heat possible, and grind the leaves up to get your own supply of oregano, thyme, etc, or is there a far more superior and super secret method available?

Believe it or not, this is one of those applications where the microwave is actually superior. It's very quick and easy to dry herbs in the microwave, and it doesn't detract from them at all. Just put the leaves flat between two paper towels and microwave in 20 second bursts unit you figure out how long it takes with your particular microwave and that particular herb.

You won't even need to grind the leaves when you're done, they should dry nice and crisp and you can just gently crush them with your hands.

Edit: Also, for mussels, I like to use white wine, tomato (sauce or diced usually), and a generous amount of Thai basil. It's fabulous.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yehudis Basya posted:

1) After grinding up seeds for various dishes, I am so freaking pissed that I used to purchase things like "ground cumin". I need some cardamom- does it matter if I grind from black or green cardamom pods? Furthermore, do I just take a hammer and crush the pods to get seeds, discard pods, and grind seeds?

3) Mixing and match (pink) masoor dal and (yellow) moong dal in a stew- gross flavor combination or delicious? Recipe calls for the moong dal only, with broccoli and coconut.

4) Fresh coconuts. My store has 'em. But are these gross like tomatoes-at-the-store-gross, and should be subbed with canned coconut pulp (I guess you would call it)? Same question for tamarind- buy the fruit or the bricks or the concentrate or the paste?

Also, guess what! Methi seeds are the same thing as fenugreek seeds! Agh.

Confession: I've never bought whole cardamom before (it's drat expensive), but I do know that the green is different from the black. The green is usually used for sweet stuff, like coffee or chai. I don't know what the black is used for, but I remember reading it has a different flavor (it was also cheaper at the indian mart I used to go to). No idea on how to prepare cardamom though.

I'd say if you've got fresh herbs, just use them fresh. Some of the flavors are slightly different in the dried herbs though. Fresh basil has a different flavor than the dried version, I assume the same is true for most herbs. Traditionally herbs are air-dried.

If I were you i'd just mix the two if you want, they're just beans to a first approximation. Sure, they might have subtly different flavors but it's not like you're suddenly adding apples to a curry or something. I know i've seen recipes that use mixed dals before (like lentils+moong+chan dal etc) so just go for it.

I haven't seen a coconut in a grocery store since I was a little kid, so I can't help you out on that. Although now that I'm thinking about it, I really want a fresh coconut. I think I could make a pretty drat good curry with the milk. Then I'd have a bunch of coconut shreds left over for macaroons or something. Plus the water I guess, but I don't know what to do with that. Maybe make a mixed drink with it or something silly.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Coconuts store and travel well, I don't live in an area where you could just go grab a coconut off a tree to compare but I've never noticed anything weird about store coconuts.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

We accidentally left one at my mom's vacation house and didn't come back for a couple of months, and when we cracked it open it had actually fermented and was weird and boozy tasting, but otherwise totally fine. :iiam:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

And thus a hundred goons bought coconuts to try fermenting them.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Assume green cardamom unless otherwise mentioned. Black is smoked and very intense, only used in small amounts (and don't pressure cook with them in unless you really know what you are doing :saddowns:). Sometimes garam masala recipes call for a little black along with the green, I guess a few people like it in Chai (probably lapsang souchong fans), otherwise it's for very savory stuff. Green's all-purpose and lends itself very well to desserts. Pairs lovely with saffron.

You can open the pods and grind the seeds for a smooth powder. If you don't care about whether there's coarse pod bits, you can just try grinding the whole thing, though the little pod chunks will be a bit strong to bite into. If a recipe just calls for cardamom without mentioning it being ground/powder, you can also just toss the pods in. Some people don't mind eating them whole later, others take them out or have them in a little cheesecloth with other whole spices in the first place.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
What would be a good idea for someone's first time cooking with foie gras? I almost never eat it, let alone cook with it, but recently happened upon about a half-pound of the stuff.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Happy Adobo posted:

What would be a good idea for someone's first time cooking with foie gras? I almost never eat it, let alone cook with it, but recently happened upon about a half-pound of the stuff.

What kind?

Is it a whole liver (raw) or is it a pate?

If it is a whole liver, slice it up in finger thick slices, and on a hot pan, give it 30 seconds to a side (watch it, because the fucker will melt), then turn off the heat and let it rest for another 30 seconds, and then eat it..

(for added taste, do a balsamic reduction and fresh strawberries sliced as a side)

You should really not let it be part of any other dish, as it really needs to stand on it's own.

Alternatively - chop it up, add some sauternes and summer truffles, pack it tightly in a cheesecloth (like a saussage), and then poach it for 30 minutes at low heat in duck fat, keep the temperature below melting point of the fat, but high enough for it to poach properly..

Serve cold on toast with strawberries and more sauternes.

Or beef wellington..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
It's the actual raw liver, not pate.

Yeah, I didn't want to do anything overly elaborate with it. I was thinking of just searing off slices and serving them on grilled bread with some caramelized apples or something.

Edit: Didn't read through the whole post carefully enough, it seems.

Happy Abobo fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 20, 2012